PDA

View Full Version : At this Juncture, I don't think tanking is the right move.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-27-2016, 11:10 AM
NFL plays participants and fans' emotions. Rex is actually great at manipulate player emotions. But managing it needs cool head.

If you look at the Bills objectively, many would say the Bills is a team with quite a bit of talent, not the top cream level, but probably a little better than average overall. Even with all the injuries and some mis-management this season, they are going to end up 8-8 on a not so weak schedule.

The key argument against a complete tear-down-and-rebuild approach is that almost all of their talent is either in their prime or entering their prime. McCoy, their best player and oldest core player, showed no sign of slowing down - in fact he's better than his previous two years.

Look at O-Line, TEs, WRs, RBs, D-Line, LBs, 2ndary, everywhere you have some stud players (well maybe not LBs, since we didn't see Ragland). So that brings us to THE position QB. And you have to say Tyrod Taylor, overall, is probably the best QB they had during this drought. He has weakness and strong suits, overall, he will be ranked better than average.

I think that may attract some top flight coaches when they can Rex. Someone who look at the roster objectively and say, fill a couple of holes (like safeties, WRs -- not super hard like finding a top QB) and I can turn it into a playoff team (not a superbowl team).

The way I see it, they are going to exercise the option on Taylor and he will be over paid for a couple of years. But by the time the Bills develop the franchise guy (a big if), Taylor's money won't be a huge deal, just like Romo's money this year. In an open market, I think Taylor can get probably $15 mil/year, but not for 5 years.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Tear it all down.

Re-build it and the fans will come.

EDS
12-27-2016, 11:52 AM
NFL plays participants and fans' emotions. Rex is actually great at manipulate player emotions. But managing it needs cool head.

If you look at the Bills objectively, many would say the Bills is a team with quite a bit of talent, not the top cream level, but probably a little better than average overall. Even with all the injuries and some mis-management this season, they are going to end up 8-8 on a not so weak schedule.

The key argument against a complete tear-down-and-rebuild approach is that almost all of their talent is either in their prime or entering their prime. McCoy, their best player and oldest core player, showed no sign of slowing down - in fact he's better than his previous two years.

Look at O-Line, TEs, WRs, RBs, D-Line, LBs, 2ndary, everywhere you have some stud players (well maybe not LBs, since we didn't see Ragland). So that brings us to THE position QB. And you have to say Tyrod Taylor, overall, is probably the best QB they had during this drought. He has weakness and strong suits, overall, he will be ranked better than average.

I think that may attract some top flight coaches when they can Rex. Someone who look at the roster objectively and say, fill a couple of holes (like safeties, WRs -- not super hard like finding a top QB) and I can turn it into a playoff team (not a superbowl team).

The way I see it, they are going to exercise the option on Taylor and he will be over paid for a couple of years. But by the time the Bills develop the franchise guy (a big if), Taylor's money won't be a huge deal, just like Romo's money this year. In an open market, I think Taylor can get probably $15 mil/year, but not for 5 years.

This team does need a tear-down if the goal is to build a contender. If the goal is to build a team that maybe, if everything breaks right, can slip into the final wild card spot in the playoffs, then sure, go for broke for a year and then rebuild. Here are the problems facing the Bills going into next season:

1. No QB and will take time to get/develop one
2. Best player, McCoy, has a lot of mileage and is of the age when RBs fall off the cliff in terms of production
3. Best pass rusher (Alexander) is 33 and unsigned for next season
4. Best linebacker (Zach Brown) is unsigned for next season
5. Two most talented players on the roster, Watkins and Dareus, lack consistency due to injuries, off-the-field problems, etc.
6. Best offensive lineman (Incognito) is 33
7. Most consistent front 7 defender (Kyle Williams) is 33
8. New coach means new schemes and time to impliment
9. Best safety (Aaron Williams) cannot be counted on to ever play again and the only other viable starting option (Graham) is on the wrong side of 30 and showing signs of slippage with no depth behind them

Forward_Lateral
12-27-2016, 12:14 PM
At this point, is there a single Bills fan who even gives a crap if they win next week? I hope the game isn't on so I don't have to watch it, to be honest. There will be about 8 people in New Jersey watching that crap show.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Not necessarily tanking but a complete rebuild.

Enough of this retooling to stay mediocre.

2-14, 6-10, 8-8 all the same.

Thurmal
12-27-2016, 12:26 PM
The only reason I don't want the Bills to burn it all down and start over is because I know the "rebuild" part of the process will never happen (given the current front office), and the team will be perennially awful rather than just mediocre. If we are going to miss the playoffs every year, I'd rather watch 7-9 seasons than 2-14 ones.

WagonCircler
12-27-2016, 12:33 PM
At this juncture, I wish they had just moved to Toronto.

The Jokeman
12-27-2016, 12:34 PM
At this point, is there a single Bills fan who even gives a crap if they win next week? I hope the game isn't on so I don't have to watch it, to be honest. There will be about 8 people in New Jersey watching that crap show.

It's always on if you live in Buffalo, remember no NFL blackout rules this season?

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2016, 12:38 PM
I just really want to know how Brandon and Whaley escape the axe year after year.