PDA

View Full Version : Coordinator Names to Consider

DraftBoy
12-27-2016, 03:05 PM
While we don't even have any clue on who the next Head Coach will be, I want underline how important it is that the next guy have a really strong OC and DC to help implement a system and build on the talent we already have.

With that in mind I'd like the next HC to make a play to bring in Gus Bradley as DC and Mike McCoy as OC. Both are guys who have either been fired (Bradley) or will be fired (McCoy) who were among the best coordinators in the business before getting head coaching jobs. They may only be here for a year or two, but that may be enough time to implement a system and establish a protege to learn under them.

There are other names out there as well:
Ken Zampese - Bengals OC
Was Andy Dalton's QB coach before being promoted to OC. Bengals offensive has been a pretty balanced attack that ranks 14th in total yards, 16th in passing yards, and 17th in rushing yards.

Darryl Drake - Arizona WR Coach
Richard Sherman called him one of the best Assistant Coaches in all of football, Drake has been with the Cardinals for four years and their WR group has been dynamite. The one think about Drake's system is that the Cardinals WR's run a ton of option routes where they are required to read the defensive coverage and determine which route option to take along with the QB. It's a complicated system but when it works it can be explosive.

Adam Zimmer - Vikings LB Coach
The Vikings defense is really good, they allow only 19.8 points per game, 314 total yards, and 212 passing yards. He's done a great job developing two young LB's in Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks as well.

Nick Rapone - Cardinals DB Coach
Rapone has the Cardinals playing a matchup zone scheme with Peterson locked in on the other teams primary WR at all times. The scheme requires that the DB's all understand not only their assignments but also how a WR route could change that assignment. Again it's a pretty complicated scheme but it allows a lot of coverage and blitzing flexibility if the defense can buy in.

Jimkelly12203
12-27-2016, 03:10 PM
People know (or should know) about how Russ and Doug do business here. Unless you're desperate, you're not going to come to take this job. And so it will be Anthony Lynn.

And Lynn could turn out to be a terrific coach for all i know. It's not going to make a damn bit of a difference as long as Brandon and Whaley are in charge.

This organization is incompetent. From the scouting department to the medical staff.

Luisito23
12-27-2016, 03:23 PM
It's gonna be Lynn, just accept it and move on...I just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Bowles.

stuckincincy
12-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Ken Zampese - Bengals OC[/B]
Was Andy Dalton's QB coach before being promoted to OC. Bengals offensive has been a pretty balanced attack that ranks 14th in total yards, 16th in passing yards, and 17th in rushing yards.

Zampese: In 27 fourth quarter TD drives in which they were either winning or within seven, they've scored just two touchdowns and two field goals while turning it over seven times. In their last 7 games, they've lost 5 games by a total of 16 points (!)

He's been on the CIN staff forever, like Coach-for-Life Marvin. They are similar - neither can tell time, neither have any sense of urgency. Running plays are mostly up the middle.

CIN fans would like to see him go - if only to see what loyalist Owner Brown would promote.

DraftBoy
12-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Zampese: In 27 fourth quarter TD drives in which they were either winning or within seven, they've scored just two touchdowns and two field goals while turning it over seven times. In their last 7 games, they've lost 5 games by a total of 16 points (!)

He's been on the CIN staff forever, like Coach-for-Life Marvin. They are similar - neither can tell time, neither have any sense of urgency. Running plays are mostly up the middle.

CIN fans would like to see him go - if only to see what loyalist Owner Brown would promote.

He's done wonders with a QB who many consider to be limited. Every coach has warts if you look hard enough. A coach who understands a balanced attack, how to utilize multiple personnel, and can game plan would be a nice improvement over what we've had in the last few OC's.

trapezeus
12-27-2016, 04:53 PM
the general sense is that this is a done deal. the ownership wants to lean in a different direction but maintain continuity. they aren't going to move too far away from lynn. and I suspect even lynn will have issues with dumping coaching staff. you are now officially looking at this drought going 20years. I really don't think they are going to give anyone a fair shake. and I think they are going to try to get a big name to assuage fans, but time and time again, retread successful Sb coaches struggle in their next stop. ultimately they think high enough of theirbroken power brokers that they'll let them try again for the 100th time.

YardRat
12-27-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm on board with Bradley and McCoy as coordinators. The most important factor in bringing in a new HC is who he is bringing with him as coordinators, and I want guys who are experienced and have had recent success. Should be the first, or at worst second, topic of discussion at the interview.

DraftBoy
12-27-2016, 05:14 PM
the general sense is that this is a done deal. the ownership wants to lean in a different direction but maintain continuity. they aren't going to move too far away from lynn. and I suspect even lynn will have issues with dumping coaching staff. you are now officially looking at this drought going 20years. I really don't think they are going to give anyone a fair shake. and I think they are going to try to get a big name to assuage fans, but time and time again, retread successful Sb coaches struggle in their next stop. ultimately they think high enough of theirbroken power brokers that they'll let them try again for the 100th time.

I'm willing to give Lynn a chance, but not if he basically keeps the entire existing staff.

justasportsfan
12-27-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm willing to give Lynn a chance, but not if he basically keeps the entire existing staff.

Dont you like David Lee ? He may keep rhe ever so modern wildcat ya lnow.

Mace
12-27-2016, 06:09 PM

I think I could feel better with Lynn as HC if he had Bradley as DC and McCoy as OC. I can't really see anyone wanting to keep Wildcat Lee and Chris Palmer around, though I could tolerate Palmer if they'd get Lee out of there at least.

Imho, Bradley is a must have DC.

stuckincincy
12-27-2016, 09:18 PM
He's done wonders with a QB who many consider to be limited. Every coach has warts if you look hard enough. A coach who understands a balanced attack, how to utilize multiple personnel, and can game plan would be a nice improvement over what we've had in the last few OC's.

Well, maybe he needs a change of venue. RB Gio Bernard played 10 games before he went out. In 91 carries, his long gain was 17 yards. Zampese's run strategy pretty much starts and stops between the tackles.

From the thread Predictions BUF@CIN:

..."To replace OC Hue Jackson, CIN promoted long-time qb coach Ken Zampese to OC...loyalty is everything to the owner. So it's back to Coach-for-Life Marvin ball. Abandon the run when behind. Forget sideline passes when behind.

CIN had good field position in the 1st half - their 48, 36, and NYG's 7. The result was 10 points.

1st quarter, Cincinnati Bengals at 5:13
1-7-NYG 7 (5:13) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete short right to G.Bernard.
2-7-NYG 7 (5:09) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete short left to T.Eifert.
3-7-NYG 7 (5:05) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short right to A.Green to NYG 7 for no gain (J.Jenkins).
4-7-NYG 7 (4:30) M.Nugent 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Harris, Holder-K.Huber

Three straight passes from the 7...

2nd quarter, Cincinnati Bengals at 1:17, (1st play from scrimmage 1:11)
1-10-CIN 20 (1:11) (Shotgun) G.Bernard left tackle to CIN 22 for 2 yards (J.Bromley, K.Robinson).
2-8-CIN 22 (:40) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short left to B.LaFell to CIN 31 for 9 yards (E.Apple). P5
1-10-CIN 31 (:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short right to A.Green pushed ob at CIN 45 for 14 yards (J.Jenkins). P6
1-10-CIN 45 (:11) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short left to T.Eifert to 50 for 5 yards (C.Sensabaugh).
Timeout #3 by CIN at 00:03.
2-5-50 (:03) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass incomplete deep right to A.Green (O.Beckham, D.Rodgers-Cromartie).

Marvin's 2-minute offense is his usual string of confusion. He cannot tell time, plain and simple. B'gals got the ball at 1:11 in the 2nd and 1 time out. Ran the ball. Chewed up 31 seconds. Then got a 1st, let 23 seconds go by. The penny finally dropped with 17 seconds left. Too late..."...

swiper
12-28-2016, 06:26 AM
Jim Haslett. If not for HC, then consider for DC.

Gregg Williams - in the middle of a disaster season for the Rams, with little in personnel, Williams has the Rams at #10 in overall defense.

Mike Smith

Norv Turner

Chris Palmer

Josh McDaniels

Sean McDermott (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-football-whos-got-next-in-nfl-11-hot-coordinators-top-list/)

Steve Spagnolo

Gus Bradley

Todd Wash
(http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches.html)

Dean Pees

Jerry Rosburg

I think that McDaniels and Spagnolo could be considered for head coach.

The Jokeman
12-28-2016, 09:14 AM
I've lobbied for him in the past and will continue to do so. As Kyle Shanahan be my top HC candidate and welcome Matt LaFleur as OC and possibly Mike LaFleur as QB coach with Bradley as our DC. Of course I doubt it will happen but it's a nice dream.

DraftBoy
12-28-2016, 09:23 AM
I've lobbied for him in the past and will continue to do so. As Kyle Shanahan be my top HC candidate and welcome Matt LaFleur as OC and possibly Mike LaFleur as QB coach with Bradley as our DC. Of course I doubt it will happen but it's a nice dream.

I don't have an issue with Shanahan.

Ed
12-28-2016, 11:12 AM
I think Lynn is going to be the HC, but I think he's going to clean house quite a bit and bring in his own staff, particularly on D. From what I understand and have read, Lynn has already interviewed as a HC candidate for other teams and has coaches in mind that he is ready to bring in for his staff. It's not like he's going to other interviews and saying "I plan to just bring all of Rex Ryan's guys with me."

I like the idea of Lynn as HC and bringing in some experienced coordinators like Bradley and McCoy, but I'm assuming he has other people in mind since Bradley was just fired and McCoy is still a HC. Lynn has been preparing for this for a while though, so I'm willing to give him a chance and see who he brings in.

sukie
12-28-2016, 11:20 AM
AHHHHHH My EYES!!!!!!! I read "N O R V " a few posts back... God I can't see through all this thick blood !!!!!!

The Jokeman
12-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Jim Haslett. If not for HC, then consider for DC.

Gregg Williams - in the middle of a disaster season for the Rams, with little in personnel, Williams has the Rams at #10 in overall defense.

Mike Smith

Norv Turner

Chris Palmer

Josh McDaniels

Sean McDermott (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-football-whos-got-next-in-nfl-11-hot-coordinators-top-list/)

Steve Spagnolo

Gus Bradley

Todd Wash
(http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches.html)

Dean Pees

Jerry Rosburg

I think that McDaniels and Spagnolo could be considered for head coach.
If Lynn is indeed named HC I fully expect Chris Palmer to remain on this team in one shape or form. As him and Lynn have Parcells ties and as mentioned in other posts both of them work side by side in the coaching booth and know Lynn has credited him to helping in his transition to OC. In terms of Palmer's role, I'd hope it be more of a QB coach than an OC.

alohabillsfan
12-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Gus Bradley for D.C., he did well in Seattle and even the jags d is pretty good considering the talent and crappy offense.