PDA

View Full Version : Dareus: Rex's defense was too complicated

Thurmal
12-27-2016, 05:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000764854/article/dareus-rex-ryans-defense-was-too-complicated

God, what a perfect quote from this decade's Albert Haynesworth. Consistently out of shape, lazy, dumb, and couldn't give a rat's ass about his performance now that the check's cleared. I would trade this guy tomorrow if they could get something for him. His ridiculous contract is so bloated that it's virtually impossible though. We'll just have to get used to the one decent game/month intertwined between injuries and drug suspensions.

DraftBoy
12-27-2016, 05:19 PM
He's far from the first person to have that critique of the Rex Ryan defense.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2016, 05:24 PM
NEVER EVER EVER draft Alabama players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQrbo_i2Zw

Ginger Vitis
12-27-2016, 05:28 PM
NEVER EVER EVER draft Alabama players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQrbo_i2Zw

The NFL is full of players who are good to great who to went to Alabama... Get a clue

justasportsfan
12-27-2016, 05:31 PM
It was pretty obvious it was complicated when someone didn't know he was supposed to be on the field in the 53 yard scamper.

Sometimes the worst thing you can do is confuse very talented players by making them think too much rather than just do what they do best. Be a football player.

My guess is that Dareus, Hughes and Marrio fall under dumb but talented. Only Kyle has both brains and talent.

YardRat
12-27-2016, 05:34 PM
He's right. Mostly. Too complicated for the defense to run consistently and effectively...however, too easy for offenses to figure out.

If Wrecks were an offensive genius, his playbook would run exclusively reverses, flea-flickers, statue of liberty, yada-yada. All style, no substance, and looks good on paper, but too many reads and checks...too many opportunities putting the players in positions to make a mistake.

Just line up and play football, for chrissakes.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2016, 05:38 PM
The NFL is full of players who are good to great who to went to Alabama... Get a clue

AND some incredibly stupid ones that Saban made look good with the talent surrounding them in 'Bama

Typ0
12-27-2016, 05:39 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000764854/article/dareus-rex-ryans-defense-was-too-complicated

God, what a perfect quote from this decade's Albert Haynesworth. Consistently out of shape, lazy, dumb, and couldn't give a rat's ass about his performance now that the check's cleared. I would trade this guy tomorrow if they could get something for him. His ridiculous contract is so bloated that it's virtually impossible though. We'll just have to get used to the one decent game/month intertwined between injuries and drug suspensions.3

2 years we have watched players trod onto the field with the best intentions only to be chastising themselves on Monday for their "failure to execute". Darius hits the nail on the head why Ryan isn't good enough right now for a third year. We need someone who can bend to the players needs not someone who has to build in all the perfect players for his system then teach them for a few years before they get it. This is not the good old days the league does not operate that way any more. Additionally his defense needs a killer secondary that we do not have -- and he is just another narcissistic ass in our long line of narcissistic asses who think they can "coach up" a player to do that. With 31 other teams out there trying to put pure talent at every position you are just kidding yourself.

I like Rex Ryan. I wish the outcome could be different but where he is at he cannot grow fast enough to get the job done here. If anything, leaving him in the position enables him to stay where he is at.

Typ0
12-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Can you imagine going out onto that field and having the call come from the sidelines 10 seconds later than every team you play? And then they are asking the players to process this complicated ****? OMGF!!!!!!

Thurmal
12-27-2016, 05:42 PM
He's far from the first person to have that critique of the Rex Ryan defense.
All those players on the Ravens and Jets seemed to be able to pick it up alright. If it was so complicated, maybe Marcel could've used the seven or so weeks he was out at the beginning of the year to brush up on it.

WagonCircler
12-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Greg Roman's offense was too complicated. Rex Ryan's Defense was too complicated. Geez. You'd almost think that Doug Whaley drafts dumb players.

Mace
12-27-2016, 05:59 PM
He's right. Mostly. Too complicated for the defense to run consistently and effectively...however, too easy for offenses to figure out.

If Wrecks were an offensive genius, his playbook would run exclusively reverses, flea-flickers, statue of liberty, yada-yada. All style, no substance, and looks good on paper, but too many reads and checks...too many opportunities putting the players in positions to make a mistake.

Just line up and play football, for chrissakes.

That's my thought. Ryan's system required substitutions in reaction to offense, then multiple checks to understand assignment or role before executing it. Dareus pointed out that teams would then make adjustments they weren't prepared for.

My feeling was always that instead of refining and simplifying his concept to adapt to offenses solving his defense, Ryan made it more complex, added checks on top of checks. Buddy Ryan's initial 46 concept (at least the philosophy of Rex's hybrid scheme of changing roles & looks) was not that complicated, besides for a few particular positions where Buddy tried to make sure he had the right guys to be the moving parts to drive the process.

Schwartz used wide-9, centerfield safety, had simple adjustments to free up his linebackers. Was probably a little more complex for the corners who weren't just doing the same thing every play, but in Donnie Henderson he had a coach capable of directing it.

Unless Ryans get a job elsewhere, and you have to wonder, there will be zero Ryan hybrid schemes remaining in the NFL in 2017, which says enough about it in and of itself.

Mace
12-27-2016, 06:01 PM
All those players on the Ravens and Jets seemed to be able to pick it up alright. If it was so complicated, maybe Marcel could've used the seven or so weeks he was out at the beginning of the year to brush up on it.

That was yesterday. Offenses have evolved, Ryan's defense has aged. There aren't any Ryan related defenses left. It's because they're obsolete.

Typ0
12-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Greg Roman's offense was too complicated. Rex Ryan's Defense was too complicated. Geez. You'd almost think that Doug Whaley drafts dumb players.

he definitely hires coaches who are too smart to get out of their own damn way.

Jimkelly12203
12-27-2016, 09:11 PM
This from a useless, pot head who gives zero effort. Dareus got his money. He doesn't give a sh7t... So glad Whaley made him the highest paid DT in the league.

Mace
12-27-2016, 09:16 PM
This from a useless, pot head who gives zero effort. Dareus got his money. He doesn't give a sh7t... So glad Whaley made him the highest paid DT in the league.

It's not even about Dareus though, who I have my issues with. It's about him being right. Going off on him for saying the obvious is saying Ryan's defense was dandy, which it absolutely wasn't.

jimmifli
12-27-2016, 10:20 PM
He made a tackle 25 yards downfield on Saturday. Why was he 25 yards downfield to make a tackle? Because he dropped into coverage and then kept pursuing the play.

Then he rotated out to catch his breath, I don't think I saw him for the rest of the series.

Shrewd use of his talents. Miami never expected it.

Mace
12-27-2016, 10:23 PM
He made a tackle 25 yards downfield on Saturday. Why was he 25 yards downfield to make a tackle? Because he dropped into coverage and then kept pursuing the play.

Then he rotated out to catch his breath, I don't think I saw him for the rest of the series.

Shrewd use of his talents. Miami never expected it.

Kind of sums it up imho.

chris66
12-28-2016, 06:05 AM
Translation. We are to dumb to run this defense. We rather just line up in base and let good qbs shred us.

swiper
12-28-2016, 06:08 AM
Translation. We are to dumb to run this defense. We rather just line up in base and let good qbs shred us.

Not really. Jets had the same grumblings. This MO has followed Ryan. He apparently has an overly detailed defense that he expects his players to master, and yet he, himself, never pays attention to details.

Remember that in 2014 Dareus, Hughes, etc. all prospered in Schwartz's defense.

YardRat
12-28-2016, 06:11 AM
Translation. I don't know **** about football, really, but Brady is soooo dreamy.....

chris66
12-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Not really. Jets had the same grumblings. This MO has followed Ryan. He apparently has an overly detailed defense that he expects his players to master, and yet he, himself, never pays attention to details.

Remember that in 2014 Dareus, Hughes, etc. all prospered in Schwartz's defense.
And the Bills finished 9-7 with a last game gift from the Pats. You will never beat the Pats with a defense that just lines up.

DynaPaul
12-28-2016, 07:34 AM
Legit message, horrible messenger.