PDA

View Full Version : Per Vic Carucci : Don't expect a thorough 'search'

Zero
12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/28/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-dont-expect-thorough-search/

It appears there is still no end in sight for this cycle of madness ...

trapezeus
12-28-2016, 11:14 AM
I think this is what a lot of us feel. until whaley and Brandon are out, there is no reason to think we can exceed 8 wins in any year. and we'll be asked to celebrate any 9 win season like we won the championship.

Thurmal
12-28-2016, 11:16 AM
It's looking like the only real hope for change is them hiring Lynn and starting EJ next year (two things Whaley probably wants to do) and having them really bottom out by going like 2-14 or 3-13. Maybe that will be enough to justify some front office changes, which seem to be the real problem here.

The Jokeman
12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
It's looking like the only real hope for change is them hiring Lynn and starting EJ next year (two things Whaley probably wants to do) and having them really bottom out by going like 2-14 or 3-13. Maybe that will be enough to justify some front office changes, which seem to be the real problem here.

There's no way this team is foolish enough to let EJ start next season. To me Sunday's game is a try out to see if he can be a backup in 2017 and beyond toss in protect themselves from cap jail if anything happened to Tyrod. With the season officially over (ie eliminated from the playoffs). I have no issues evaluating the rest of the roster to see what we have and don't have. Of course the Jets seem to be in a team in more disarray than us so I will also remember that when watching Sunday's game.

trapezeus
12-28-2016, 11:29 AM
thurmal, doesn't it feel criminal that we have to go to 18 years to figure this out? somehow ownership and certain fans have this false belief that 7-8 wins is mediocre. where I would say its the worst spot to be. you aren't getting top draft choices and you aren't in consideration of the playoffs. to me, there is no harm in trying to reboot the entire organization and have everyone on notice. because even if you miss hire, you'll have a bad 2-3 win team for the next organizational top management to work with. if you get it right, you go to the playoffs. this is sickening to have to wait until 2020 to maybe kind of be in a position to have a functional team to root for.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 11:31 AM
There's no way this team is foolish enough to let EJ start next season..

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Novacane
12-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Lynn may end up being a good HC but their reason for hiring him is BS!

Thurmal
12-28-2016, 11:36 AM
There's no way this team is foolish enough to let EJ start next season. To me Sunday's game is a try out to see if he can be a backup in 2017 and beyond toss in protect themselves from cap jail if anything happened to Tyrod. With the season officially over (ie eliminated from the playoffs). I have no issues evaluating the rest of the roster to see what we have and don't have. Of course the Jets seem to be in a team in more disarray than us so I will also remember that when watching Sunday's game.

I hope you're right. And yes, a normal team would never be that foolish. A normal one. I am just envisioning EJ racking up huge numbers against an awful Jets team that is going through the motions during the last game of the year, then the Bills using that game to justify an extension and "opportunity to compete in camp."

kgun12
12-28-2016, 11:51 AM
We just keep :deadhorse fire the whole bunch or live with crap teams.

Routing for this team is like the movie Ground Hogs Day, the only difference Bill Murray finally learns from his mistakes!!!

Zero
12-28-2016, 12:02 PM
thurmal, doesn't it feel criminal that we have to go to 18 years to figure this out? somehow ownership and certain fans have this false belief that 7-8 wins is mediocre. where I would say its the worst spot to be. you aren't getting top draft choices and you aren't in consideration of the playoffs. to me, there is no harm in trying to reboot the entire organization and have everyone on notice. because even if you miss hire, you'll have a bad 2-3 win team for the next organizational top management to work with. if you get it right, you go to the playoffs. this is sickening to have to wait until 2020 to maybe kind of be in a position to have a functional team to root for.

This organization is so hopelessly inept it can't even get sucking right. In a system designed to prevent this exact sort of thing (sucking for 17 years with no end in sight).The Bills have somehow managed to circumvent the system through questionable hiring practices and a gross mismanagement of the draft. I read somewhere that the odds of team going this long without making the playoffs was around 6 MILLION to 1 (assuming each team has an equal chance of making the playoffs. I would give you actual figure but I'm much too lazy ;-) )

Buckets
12-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Deja vu all over again

Turf
12-28-2016, 12:16 PM
If this is not the norm in the NFL, then we have a problem with Whaley.

swiper
12-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Same crap all over again. Whaley is horrible at "assembling a roster." And Terry Pegula is just blind to it.

- - - Updated - - -

If this is not the norm in the NFL, then we have a problem with Whaley.

No. You have a problem with the owner.

coastal
12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
It will be Whaley's show next year.

Good... he's accountable then for the outcome.

Hes either going to sink or swim.

Next year maybe its reset appropriately then.

DetDannyWilliams
12-28-2016, 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwzV6G3jBvE&t=377s

Bill Cody
12-28-2016, 01:41 PM
There's no way this team is foolish enough to let EJ start next season.

Why not? We started Tie Rod for 2 years. EJ can throw for 200 yards a week and win 7 games in 15 tries. We're not talking about Young replacing Montana here.

Bill Cody
12-28-2016, 01:44 PM
I hope you're right. And yes, a normal team would never be that foolish. A normal one. I am just envisioning EJ racking up huge numbers against an awful Jets team that is going through the motions during the last game of the year, then the Bills using that game to justify an extension and "opportunity to compete in camp."

Who cares? Seriously. 8-8 is the NFL equivalent of purgatory. It's not good enough for the tournament and not bad enough to draft blue chip players. TT, EJ, CJ it's all the same result. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Who cares? Seriously. 8-8 is the NFL equivalent of purgatory. It's not good enough for the tournament and not bad enough to draft blue chip players. TT, EJ, CJ it's all the same result. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Not good enough to win. Good enough to sell tickets.

Russ doesn't perpetuate his existence by winning.

YardRat
12-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Whaley's biggest character/responsibility flaw, IMO, if he is still insisting on not working with the coaches to assemble the roster.

Not sure how much of a factor that is, however, considering (allegedly) Wrecks was the one that wanted Tyrod and the team went out and got him. Also, the Jet-stank (Jawbreaker, Salas, etc) that Wryan managed to get a paycheck for, for one more season.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2016, 02:30 PM
After watching tidbits of today's press conference with Lynn, I don't see how he could be a coach at the NFL level. Facing the media just seems to be completely out of his element. And unfortunately for him, facing the media is part of the job.

I don't see Anthony Lynn being the next coach of this team so there will have to be some kind of search made for the next coach.

Victor7
12-28-2016, 02:43 PM
If Lynn is willing to be Whaley's puppet he's gonna be hired. Remains to be seen.

I can't for the life of all things holly understand why Whaley is still employed by this team.

The Jokeman
12-28-2016, 02:50 PM
If Lynn is willing to be Whaley's puppet he's gonna be hired. Remains to be seen.

I can't for the life of all things holly understand why Whaley is still employed by this team.

because he didn't get to pick the HC the last time we had to find one. Ownership is now giving him a chance to see what he can really do. It's basically telling Whaley put up in 2017 or your gone IMHO.

Bill Cody
12-28-2016, 03:12 PM
After watching tidbits of today's press conference with Lynn, I don't see how he could be a coach at the NFL level. Facing the media just seems to be completely out of his element. And unfortunately for him, facing the media is part of the job.

I don't see Anthony Lynn being the next coach of this team so there will have to be some kind of search made for the next coach.

Search where? And for whom? When we made the stupid stupid move of hiring Rex it was actually not a turd job. Things were trending upward a bit. Now? Any candidate worth a damn is going to take one look at that front office and one look under center and block the Bills calls. We're back bottom feeding again. That's what Peg doesn't seem to get. A top coach is not signing up for Whaley and Brandon. Whatever sham of a search they make it's doomed.

pmoon6
12-28-2016, 03:22 PM
:rofl: A top coach won't come to Buffalo anyway, regardless of Brandon and Whaley. Combine the City's national reputation with the embarrassment that is the current Bills' Fan base and there ya go.

Lucky you guys didn't have to fork over any cash to pay for a billboard this time.

You can return to your regularly schedule piss and moan session, forthwith.

trapezeus
12-28-2016, 03:22 PM
This organization is so hopelessly inept it can't even get sucking right. In a system designed to prevent this exact sort of thing (sucking for 17 years with no end in sight).The Bills have somehow managed to circumvent the system through questionable hiring practices and a gross mismanagement of the draft. I read somewhere that the odds of team going this long without making the playoffs was around 6 MILLION to 1 (assuming each team has an equal chance of making the playoffs. I would give you actual figure but I'm much too lazy ;-) )

I've said, it seems like they are intentionally trying to do this. a high school kid with a draft magazine over 17 years would have gotten in at least twice.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 03:29 PM
:rofl: A top coach won't come to Buffalo anyway, regardless of Brandon and Whaley. Combine the City's national reputation with the embarrassment that is the current Bills' Fan base and there ya go..

Riiiiight. It's OUR fault that the team sucks. We who buy 60,000 season ticket to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in almost two decades.

It's the fans fault that the organization pays double the price for a failed WR than the Giant paid for a future hall of famer.

It's our fault that this organization is suck a goat rodeo that they sent out that poor under qualified man to be devoured by wolves, while the GM hid.

It's our fault that Ralph Wilson fired the greatest GM of all time because he couldn't play nice with his daughter, thereby altering the course of the franchise forever.

It's the fans' fault.

We should just get on our knees and swallow, right?

**** that ****.

Victor7
12-28-2016, 03:29 PM
because he didn't get to pick the HC the last time we had to find one. Ownership is now giving him a chance to see what he can really do. It's basically telling Whaley put up in 2017 or your gone IMHO.
You can't possibly believe that.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Search where? And for whom? When we made the stupid stupid move of hiring Rex it was actually not a turd job. Things were trending upward a bit. Now? Any candidate worth a damn is going to take one look at that front office and one look under center and block the Bills calls. We're back bottom feeding again. That's what Peg doesn't seem to get. A top coach is not signing up for Whaley and Brandon. Whatever sham of a search they make it's doomed.

Money talks.

You give anyone enough money, they'll take the job.

Same with free agents, if you're willing to overpay, they'll come. Why do you think Mario came here?

trapezeus
12-28-2016, 03:59 PM
but money isn't going to offset people in coaching and gm spots. there are a finite number of people considered and if you stay with a winner, you have a better chance to move to another successful organization. th emoney is pretty even. do you want a short term contract and get fired or do you want to stay successful with more upside in the long run.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 04:02 PM
but money isn't going to offset people in coaching and gm spots. there are a finite number of people considered and if you stay with a winner, you have a better chance to move to another successful organization. th emoney is pretty even. do you want a short term contract and get fired or do you want to stay successful with more upside in the long run.

Exactly. Plus, for worthwhile coaches, you're competing against other franchises, 31 of which are better situations than the Bills.

Even Cleveland is a better situation. You can bounce back from being dead last. You get the draft springboard. But being 8-8 is quicksand. You're stuck.

swiper
12-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Money talks.

Same with free agents, if you're willing to overpay, they'll come. Why do you think Mario came here?

Look. Since Brandon's been around both Mularkey and Marrone walked out on the Bills in short order. OBD has a reputation with Brandon's name on it.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2016, 04:11 PM

You know how this team is run, which is ass backwards, we know it, and surely people around league circles know it too.

You come in here and can do anything you want and then blame Russ, blame Whaley, blame Pegula for the reason you couldn't really succeed if you outright fail. You come in here and win regardless of those above you, you'll be looked upon in reverence to the 31 other owners in this league.

Doug Marrone and Mike Mularkey both got mocked locally for quitting, but nationally there wasn't much of a peep. Both had minor setbacks initially after quitting here, but look where both are now. And neither of them got this team to the playoffs.

I don't think coaching the Bills is such a dire circumstance as some here would like to portray. It's one of 32 jobs in this world. It has a built in excuse that won't harm you in the future if you don't do well. And if you can somehow succeed in spite of the ineptness above you, you'll be hailed in NFL circles as one of the greatest coaches in the game today.

Turf
12-28-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm at the point where anyone other than Coughlin will be a disaster. I don't think Shanahan would come here, I would be interested in him. After watching Lynn speak today, I was utterly unimpressed.

pmoon6
12-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Riiiiight. It's OUR fault that the team sucks. We who buy 60,000 season ticket to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in almost two decades.

It's the fans fault that the organization pays double the price for a failed WR than the Giant paid for a future hall of famer.

It's our fault that this organization is suck a goat rodeo that they sent out that poor under qualified man to be devoured by wolves, while the GM hid.

It's our fault that Ralph Wilson fired the greatest GM of all time because he couldn't play nice with his daughter, thereby altering the course of the franchise forever.

It's the fans' fault.

We should just get on our knees and swallow, right?

**** that ****.I didn't say it was the fans fault that the team has been bad for years, I said no top flight coach would come to Buffalo for a few reasons. One being fans that put up a billboard to get a coach fired. You think that went unnoticed around the league? You think Mularkey quitting because adult fans verbally abused his children was swept under the rug? Players houses vandalized?

No, Bills' Fans have a deserved reputation as being whiny little *****es even as far as Denver and this board is documented proof.

Now, the front office does play a role. They mismanaged under Ralph and now the new owner seems to not want to change anything.

At any rate, the Fan himself has to accept some blame for their conduct and for still paying for the product on the field.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 04:55 PM
I'm at the point where anyone other than Coughlin will be a disaster. I don't think Shanahan would come here, I would be interested in him.

Oh, it's absolutely not going to be Coughlin.

No way in hell he answers to Whaley.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Oh, it's absolutely not going to be Coughlin.

No way in hell he answers to Whaley.

The more I'm hearing, the more I think this move was to hire Coughlin.

He likes and respects the Pegula and the Pegulas like and respect him.

If the next head coach is anyone but Coughlin, I'd be very surprised.

It also signals the people at top think this team is on the cusp of being in the playoffs, so that's why there is no household changes going on at OBD and there won't be a complete rebuild process.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 05:14 PM
The more I'm hearing, the more I think this move was to hire Coughlin..

You don't put a man in charge of a "coaching search" to hire a man 100X more qualified than he is.

YardRat
12-28-2016, 05:41 PM
:rofl: A top coach won't come to Buffalo anyway, regardless of Brandon and Whaley. Combine the City's national reputation with the embarrassment that is the current Bills' Fan base and there ya go.

Lucky you guys didn't have to fork over any cash to pay for a billboard this time.

You can return to your regularly schedule piss and moan session, forthwith.
Ya know, using terms like 'forthwith' isn't going to alleviate the 'older than dirt' perception very much.

sudzy
12-28-2016, 06:34 PM
After fights with Whaley have cause the last TWO coaches to leave do you really believe that Coughlin would come here? Or any coach with other option? No. It's going to be "yes man" Anthony Lynn. He doesn't even get invited to the meeting on who the starting QB is and he's OK with that. Just happy to have a job.

The Jokeman
12-28-2016, 07:14 PM
After fights with Whaley have cause the last TWO coaches to leave do you really believe that Coughlin would come here? Or any coach with other option? No. It's going to be "yes man" Anthony Lynn. He doesn't even get invited to the meeting on who the starting QB is and he's OK with that. Just happy to have a job.

What fights with Rex? I think Whaley gave Rex much of he wanted including Tyrod, Percy Harvin, Shaq, Ragland, Douzable, the former Jets safety I can't spell and others. Look closely, I think Whaley worked a lot with Rex the last two seasons. Yet when he saw Tyrod wasn't cutting it he tried his best to convince Rex yet Rex wouldn't listen but because we were still in the playoff hunt he couldn't do anything until we were officially eliminated but some Bills fans don't want to or can't see it.

Mace
12-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Ya know, using terms like 'forthwith' isn't going to alleviate the 'older than dirt' perception very much.

That was uncalled for.

sudzy
12-28-2016, 07:18 PM
What fights with Rex? I think Whaley gave Rex much of he wanted including Tyrod, Percy Harvin, Shaq, Ragland, Douzable, the former Jets safety I can't spell and others. Look closely, I think Whaley worked a lot with Rex the last two seasons. Yet when he saw Tyrod wasn't cutting it he tried his best to convince Rex yet Rex wouldn't listen but because we were still in the playoff hunt he couldn't do anything until we were officially eliminated but some Bills fans don't want to or can't see it.

There has been talk that the two haven't been getting along for two years now. Where have you been?

The Jokeman
12-28-2016, 07:23 PM
There has been talk that the two haven't been getting along for two years now. Where have you been?

I see it as Whaley gave Rex enough rope to hang himself and that he did. If you can't see that Rex's finger prints weren't partially on this roster than you need to re-examine it.

Mace
12-28-2016, 08:05 PM
I see it as Whaley gave Rex enough rope to hang himself and that he did. If you can't see that Rex's finger prints weren't partially on this roster than you need to re-examine it.

Rex manufactures his own rope in miles. You don't give him rope, he spouts it every time he opens his mouth. Whaley's fingerprints are as "partially" on the roster as anyones, being as he's going on his 3rd coach in 4 years. With different styles and defenses, Whaley's fingerprints are bigger and greasier than anyones.

djjimkelly
12-28-2016, 08:07 PM
im sorry i dont buy that the search wont be thorough

id put lynns chances at 5% of getting this job

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 08:24 PM
id put lynns chances at 95% of getting this job

Fixed it for you.

YardRat
12-28-2016, 08:33 PM
That was uncalled for.

Oh, he called for it all right...he called for it forthwith.

Mace
12-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Oh, he called for it all right...he called for it forthwith.

Hence.

Goobylal
12-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Just like both Whaley and Rex were given an ultimatum at the beginning of the season, eh Vic?

Mace
12-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Just like both Whaley and Rex were given an ultimatum at the beginning of the season, eh Vic?

Full season to kiss some butt, who does it better, oblivious coach or oily GM learning from oily marketing guy ?

Goobylal
12-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Full season to kiss some butt, who does it better, oblivious coach or oily GM learning from oily marketing guy ?

Then it wasn't an "ultimatum."

Mace
12-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Then it wasn't an "ultimatum."

Depends on the spine of who delivers the ultimatum. Might well have been.

Goobylal
12-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Depends on the spine of who delivers the ultimatum. Might well have been.

Good point. Whaley looks like one scary dude.

No, most likely was there was no ultimatum and that Rex keeps his job if they go 9-7, even if they miss the playoffs. Whaley kept his job because the team had 9 Pro Bowlers.

Mace
12-28-2016, 10:04 PM

No, most likely was there was no ultimatum and that Rex keeps his job if they go 9-7, even if they miss the playoffs. Whaley kept his job because the team had 9 Pro Bowlers.

Most likely they have wishy washy owners guiding the team same as the Sabres.

No. Your points are oblivious. The team has 9 pro bowlers ? Break them down into alternates and selected. They have 2.

Goobylal
12-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Most likely they have wishy washy owners guiding the team same as the Sabres.

No. Your points are oblivious. The team has 9 pro bowlers ? Break them down into alternates and selected. They have 2.

I'd rather have "wishy washy" owners who issue alleged "ultimatums" that they later disregard if warranted (making them...not ultimatums). Again, the Bills had 9 Pro Bowlers (more on that below) so Whaley should be safe because it's not like the team is devoid of talent. The defense OTOH, which is supposed to be Rex's area of expertise, was a disaster and cost them them not only a winning record, but the playoffs, so he gets fired. Again, in all likelihood he stays if the Bills go 9-7, even if they make the playoffs, as it would be hard to justify firing a coach that goes 9-7.

As for the Pro Bowl, even as alternates, they're still among the top-10 at their positions in the NFL. Again, there is talent on the team.

WagonCircler
12-28-2016, 11:13 PM
As for the Pro Bowl, even as alternates, they're still among the top-10 at their positions in the NFL. Again, there is talent on the team.

Utter bull****.

No player wants to play in the Pro Bowl anymore.

Alternates are a dime a dozen.

Teams with talent play meaningful January games, not exhibition games.

The talent on this team sucks balls.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Bring on New Orleans and bring on Washington, we're coming for you Redbirds and Pittsburgh too. Also fear not Kansas City Royals we are looking to break that 29 year mark you set.

Speaking of the Totals, you think Pegsy hires Tony Pena?

WagonCircler
12-29-2016, 01:15 AM
Hence.

I'll see your hence and raise you a hitherto and a thus.

swiper
12-29-2016, 12:37 PM

He was CLEARLY fighting with Ryan. CLEARLY.

swiper
12-29-2016, 12:39 PM
I'd rather have "wishy washy" owners who issue alleged "ultimatums" that they later disregard if warranted (making them...not ultimatums). Again, the Bills had 9 Pro Bowlers (more on that below) so Whaley should be safe because it's not like the team is devoid of talent. The defense OTOH, which is supposed to be Rex's area of expertise, was a disaster and cost them them not only a winning record, but the playoffs, so he gets fired. Again, in all likelihood he stays if the Bills go 9-7, even if they make the playoffs, as it would be hard to justify firing a coach that goes 9-7.

ROFL. Pro Bowl means nothing.

Bill Cody
12-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Money talks.

The difference is players don't get fired, coaches almost always do eventually. And this job has the look of coach killer, anyone can see it. Yeah I know, 32 jobs blah blah blah. Wake me when we have a list of quality candidates floating through 1 BD. Coughlin would be probably the best we could do and we'd have a chance on him only because of his age.

jimmifli
12-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Hence.
Leave him alone, he'll probably be dead in a fortnight.

Goobylal
12-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Utter bull****.

No player wants to play in the Pro Bowl anymore.

Alternates are a dime a dozen.

Teams with talent play meaningful January games, not exhibition games.

The talent on this team sucks balls.

What are you talking about? No one has had a chance to back out yet. :rolleyes:

Please.

sudzy
12-30-2016, 05:36 PM

Hey did Ruben Brown make it again?

YardRat
12-30-2016, 05:46 PM

You're being sarcastic, right? IIRC, he looks more like Prince than anything, size and stature wise anyway.

Goobylal
12-30-2016, 10:32 PM
You're being sarcastic, right? IIRC, he looks more like Prince than anything, size and stature wise anyway.

Yes I was.