X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Off-season Moves

If made my point about keeping Anthony Lynn already...

I think he has the qualities of a HC and he seems to be a demanding type character and pretty much NOT a players coach.

His mentor is Bill Parcells, not Rex, which is another reason why people have a high opinion of him. Not to mention how many great RBs he's coached.

Moving on, I understand why lots of Bills fans want something from outside the organization considering the 17 seasons of failure from within. I just don't believe the options outside are better for Buffalo. Our best shot is going with a guy who knows first hand what needs to be corrected.

So this is what else I would do or like to see done...

1. Get a 4-3 coach from a successful program that have developed players well. Gus Bradley for me is a top choice but there are other possiblilities.

Adam Zimmer and Jerry Gray from Minnesota

There are a couple of options in Carolina, Seattle and NY Giants. All have done well developing their young Front 7 players and DBs. Bring back Donnie Henderson would be a good move for our DB coach.

Players

1.Trade Dareus to someone for a first rounder. Oakland needs a DT badly, maybe get a one and Connor Cook in return. He's good and he would be better in a 4-3 but I don't like him ripping Rex after he was fired. He needs a change and Buffalo needs draft picks.

2. Sign Gilmore, had a rough start but showed his quality in the final third. Settle on 13 mil.

3. Sign Taylor - his cap hit, even if we pick up the option is good for a starting QB of his caliber. The only other threat to his position anyway would be a draft pick and they cost nothing. So our QB depth chart in total would be quite manageable in terms of total cost. Plus he seems to have improved and diversified his game in the last couple of games, regardless of competition, he was making throws he wasn't making all season.

4. Sign Sammy Watkins to a reasonable extension, he's the real deal and will only get better. Would rather not wait till he commands 15 mil next offseason.

5. Go hard after Kawaan Short DT from Panthers and keep Leger Douzable as a DT. Also sign another DT as you don't know how many games Kyle will play next year.
  • Ginger Vitis
    • Feb 2009

Re: Off-season Moves

Dareus is untradeable due to his dead cap number and I doubt you would get a 1st rounder for him

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
      Dareus is untradeable due to his dead cap number and I doubt you would get a 1st rounder for him
      Maybe not but there's always a team willing to make a deal. Raiders have lots of cap space for example and their D needs a DT badly. Same with Jags, Bucs and Falcons.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Yeah, his first move should be to flush the entire coaching staff and hire coordinators that will bring their position coaches with them, but he has a history with most of these guys so I have my doubts that will happen.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Stop with these stupid fantasies.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

I disagree with your entire post.

Anthony Lynn is not head coaching material. At least not at this point in time. He a. hasn't paid his dues in ascending the coaching ranks yet and b. is clearly not a person who has the capability to handle the media. Like it or not, handling the media is part of the job of being a head coach in the NFL.

Dareus has no trade value. His contract is absurd. His play since signing that contract has been abysmal. Who's going to trade anything at all for that, let alone a first round pick?

Gilmore wants top CB money. He's average in coverage and cannot tackle worth a lick. Make someone on the open market make the mistake of giving that guy 15ish million a year.

Tyrod is simply not an NFL caliber QB. He's a glorified RB who can throw a couple of routes.

Watkins hasn't shown to be physically able to handle the rigors of an NFL season yet and you can't hitch your wagon to a number 1 WR who simply cannot stay healthy for a 16 game season.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Anthony Lynn is not head coaching material. At least not at this point in time. He a. hasn't paid his dues in ascending the coaching ranks yet and b. is clearly not a person who has the capability to handle the media. Like it or not, handling the media is part of the job of being a head coach in the NFL.

Dareus has no trade value. His contract is absurd. His play since signing that contract has been abysmal. Who's going to trade anything at all for that, let alone a first round pick?

Gilmore wants top CB money. He's average in coverage and cannot tackle worth a lick. Make someone on the open market make the mistake of giving that guy 15ish million a year.

Tyrod is simply not an NFL caliber QB. He's a glorified RB who can throw a couple of routes.

Watkins hasn't shown to be physically able to handle the rigors of an NFL season yet and you can't hitch your wagon to a number 1 WR who simply cannot stay healthy for a 16 game season.
              I agree now might be early for Watkins until they are sure his foot issues are passed him.

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Then stop engaging this buffoon.

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

He offered his thoughts on moves to make. What are yours? Who should we add?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

1) Release Taylor - He's not good enough for the salary commitment - We'd be handcuffed in the FA market.
                    2) We'll release a couple others along with Taylor (Graham & Carpenter are likely due to salary savings).
                    3) We'll lose a couple to retirement (Aaron Williams & Kyle Williams come to mind).

As a result, cap room will approach $60M... We'll need to re-sign or replace ~29 players...

1) Draft will add maybe 4 players to the 53 man roster... Probably 1 starter... $5M CAP
                    2) Sign 4 quality starters via FA... This may include Gilmore & Woods... $28 CAP
                    3) That leaves ~21 low level starters, back-ups & role players that will need to be obtained to fill the final 53... $20M CAP

Comment

• casdhf
                      • Jul 2002

If Lynn stays tierod should too
                      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                        1) Release Taylor - He's not good enough for the salary commitment - We'd be handcuffed in the FA market.
                        2) We'll release a couple others along with Taylor (Graham & Carpenter are likely due to salary savings).
                        3) We'll lose a couple to retirement (Aaron Williams & Kyle Williams come to mind).

As a result, cap room will approach $60M... We'll need to re-sign or replace ~29 players...

1) Draft will add maybe 4 players to the 53 man roster... Probably 1 starter... $5M CAP
                        2) Sign 4 quality starters via FA... This may include Gilmore & Woods... $28 CAP
                        3) That leaves ~21 low level starters, back-ups & role players that will need to be obtained to fill the final 53... $20M CAP
                        You release Taylor though and you're at square one with the QB position. Cardale is not ready and is a project player anyway that probably needs 2-3 years on the bench.

Tyrod is not going to be Matt Ryan. He's not going to sit in the pocket and deliver all day. What he did against Miami though is what he and the OC need to accept that he is.

He will run every single time the defense turns their back no matter what the play call is. That drives the D crazy and forces them to commit resources to defend him. In turn he was able to find his receivers downfield against Miami and not just outside the numbers but down the middle and deep.

Tyrod can win 11-12 games for Buffalo with a strong defense getting rid of him and letting him win for another team would be a huge mistake for Buffalo after years of hoping for a QB that can come in and put up the 24 PPG that he has.

Gilmore getting 13-14 mil is the nature of the CB position. He has played well in the last 6-7 games and he is a top CB in the NFL. So in this league you have to have and pay good corners.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                          You release Taylor though and you're at square one with the QB position. Cardale is not ready and is a project player anyway that probably needs 2-3 years on the bench.

Tyrod is not going to be Matt Ryan. He's not going to sit in the pocket and deliver all day. What he did against Miami though is what he and the OC need to accept that he is.

He will run every single time the defense turns their back no matter what the play call is. That drives the D crazy and forces them to commit resources to defend him. In turn he was able to find his receivers downfield against Miami and not just outside the numbers but down the middle and deep.

Tyrod can win 11-12 games for Buffalo with a strong defense getting rid of him and letting him win for another team would be a huge mistake for Buffalo after years of hoping for a QB that can come in and put up the 24 PPG that he has.

Gilmore getting 13-14 mil is the nature of the CB position. He has played well in the last 6-7 games and he is a top CB in the NFL. So in this league you have to have and pay good corners.
                          Taylor was very good against Miami, but he was equally as bad in the Oakland game. I don't know what you're basing the statement that he can win 11-12 games for Buffalo, there really isn't anything to support that. Taylor is a bridge guy and not much more. If they bring him back next year I would imagine they'll ask him to redo his deal again.

A 13-14 million a year salary for Gilmore would put him the Top6 highest paid CB's in the league, that's not the nature of the position. If we can get him at 10-11 million then that's a good deal for the Bills and one they should entertain.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post

It's simple logic IMO...
                            My Given... Tyrod is not a franchise guy.
                            My action... Obtain a franchise guy by (A) patiently in the draft, or (B) sign Kirk Cousins (unlikely)... Not old Romo nor Cutler.
                            My Conclusion A... While we patiently await a franchise guy via the draft, it makes no sense to waste the Tyrod money when we can get a $5M/year guy that will produce the same results IMO (win/loss).
                            My Conclusion B... If we miraculously obtain Kirk Cousins, we'll need Tyrods money to pay him.
                            Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

They could have had Kirk Cousins already had they just drafted him.

Comment

Working...
                              X