PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate our OL-men in order:

WG
07-19-2002, 09:36 AM
Discounting position, ie. evaluating effectiveness per positon played, and considering all aspects of the value of a player, how would you rate our OL-men now?

I'd rate them as such:

Williams (Not only destined to be great, but a leader and an off-the-field asset as well)

Jennings (Not far off of Williams, seemingly a little less vocal)

Ostroski (Solid leader who is at the end of his utility, but otherwise better than the rest)

Brown (Overrated since he got here, but a good OG nonetheless. Not Pro-Bowl material IMO, and a bit too quiet when we needed him to step into a leadership role over the past season or two. Makes WAY too many stupid errors however.)

Conaty (a good grind-it-out blue-collar type who plays through injury and is tough. I like him and think he'll really improve this year. A bit unknown still in terms of talent)

Teague (Not really impressive to me at all yet. Has only started 1 season in 4 and raises some questions as to how good he'll be but definitely has something to prove)

Sullivan (I was big on this guy as a late-round steal last year, and we took him late in the 5th. He's unproven however.)

blcny
07-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Brown= The best we've got
Williams=Has the ability to be great, but is only a rookie
Jennings=Solid
Conaty=Wys is right(a good grind-it-out blue-collar type who plays through injury and is tough)
Teague and Sullivan=Have to prove themselves, I think they will by the end of the year

Dman
07-19-2002, 11:05 AM
I think right now that:
Jennings has earned the top spot..followed closely by-
Brown, a bit overated but solid..then comes
Williams, although a rookie I see great things from this kid on and off the field.
Conaty, you're right..tough as can be..undersized
Sullivan, potential starter at right guard before season is over
Teague, unknown...need to see him play
I noticed no one has mentioned Ostroski, maybe for a good reason...he's the veteran who will be our starting right guard, if healthy..but I do see him losing that starting job to Sullivan

WG
07-19-2002, 11:40 AM
DDDDDDD!!!!

WELCOME!!!

Yeah, I mentioned Os. I just forgot to space him after Jennings. I agree w/ ya though. Tough to compare him w/ the others. He's at the end while the others are just getting going. Os has given a lot over the years and deserves the respect he's getting. He's been a quiet leader and can play all positions.

I agree with ya, I see him starting at G, but then transitioning to a backup role. Hopefully he'll restructure after this year and accept a role as a backup as I'm sure he would. He's played on the greatest of Bills teams and deserves to be with us when we win it all next year!

Dman
07-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
DDDDDDD!!!!

WELCOME!!!

Yeah, I mentioned Os. I just forgot to space him after Jennings.

Ooopsss!!!..My Bad...missed the big O...
Thanks for the welcome...you know I can't resist that sauce..:hungry:

Nice Job!!

gonzo1105
07-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Brown
Jennings
Williams
Ostroski
Conaty
Teague
Sullivan

Hulsey

WG
07-19-2002, 12:43 PM
How now Brown ...first? LOL

He makes way too many critical errors at critical times that cost the team and doesn't even always block that well. Of the 64 starting Gs in the league, I'd rate him around 40. He's above average I'm sure, but not by tons.

JMO

But his ProBowl elections were largely based upon the hype associated with him as he entered the NFL. He's good, and he'll be better w/ the cast that's coming up around him, but I can sure think of better Gs even though some of them didn't make the ProBowl. There were a couple of years that I wondered how he even made the PB.

7 out of 10 for him. If he eliminates the errors and penalties and plays w/ a little more heart at times, he's a 9+.

SoCalBillsFan
07-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Of the 64 starting Gs in the league, I'd rate him around 40. He's above average I'm sure, but not by tons.

how can he be above average if he's 40 out of 64? THat would put him below avg. i'm confused.

John from Hemet
07-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Williams - This guy is a special player.....
Brown - Very close between Brown and Jennings here. I have Rueben the nod because he has been doing it longer
Jennings - He and Brown might be flip flopped by next eval
Teauge - This guy...while a little light...is very fundamentaly sound and nasty
Ostroski - A solid lunch pail veteran who as some tools
Conaty - Another lunch pail veteran who is a overachiever
Sullivan - The young pup...didn't show what he could do last year.....got RJ creamed....hope he has gotten better