PDA

View Full Version : I am elated we won but GW made some bonehead decisions!

Novacane
09-15-2002, 08:37 PM
The 2 point conversion was mentiponed in another thread! What the hell was he thinking.

Then why the heck was he not calling a defensive TO to save our O a little more time at the end of regulation?

Great players bailed his a$$ out tonight!

John Doe
09-15-2002, 08:39 PM
I guess that he had nothing to do with coaching a motivating those great players!? Enjoy the win!

Kelly The Dog
09-15-2002, 08:41 PM
People blaming GW even though they won the game are likely the same ones saying bottom line they lost the other games. There are a lot of pros and cons to going for 2 in that situation. I would assume the chart says go for two. The Vikes were forced to kick the extra point instead of going for two themselves, which would have won the game for them in regulation. Can't have it both ways. Enjoy the win.

quizlet2003
09-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Thankyou Kelly. GW is good!

Novacane
09-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
People blaming GW even though they won the game are likely the same ones saying bottom line they lost the other games. There are a lot of pros and cons to going for 2 in that situation. I would assume the chart says go for two. The Vikes were forced to kick the extra point instead of going for two themselves, which would have won the game for them in regulation. Can't have it both ways. Enjoy the win.

Bull Kelly! I was praising the play last week. I thought he did a decent job last week. When he makes bonehead decisions we have the right to point them out. I said I am elated they won! That does not mean I need to drink GW's purple koolaid!

Secondly there is no pro for going for the 2 point in that situation! None! At best it would have forced them to make an extra point on their last TD which they did! Hollis' last FG would have won the game. That was a stupid decision on his part! Period!

DraftBoy
09-15-2002, 08:50 PM
No it was nto stupid and the reason is. You got Doug Brien a kicker who has missed 2 straight PAT's and your putting a ton of pressure on him to make this PAT and give his team the lead. PLus then Holli's 54 yarder wins it. It made sense to me. I would have done the same.

quizlet2003
09-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Damn- Im starting to like your more and more Winfield... read my post

http://www.billsfanzone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2362

Novacane
09-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
and give his team the lead. PLus then Holli's 54 yarder wins it.

You just made my point WInfield! Hollis' 54 yarder wins it if GW DOES NOT go for the 2!

Oh well we won so I will give the guy a pass this week and hope he learns from his mistake. He needs to throw that stupid chart about when to go for 2 out and consider the game situation!

DraftBoy
09-15-2002, 08:56 PM
its kinda scary us agreeing like this, oh well Bills win im happy

quizlet2003
09-15-2002, 08:57 PM
Dude- I could care less if Williams ****s out of his penis. As long as we win!!! (sorry, just came to mind)

Novacane
09-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Ok quiz............I'm with you on that one!

Coach's mistakes don't hurt when you win!

mybills
09-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Not to side with anyone, but I noticed he still can't call a challenge. He got lucky on that challenge last week! It's about the only thing that bothers me regarding GW's decisions.

Novacane
09-15-2002, 09:04 PM
I don't fault him on the challenge's. He has to make a split second decision on whether or not to challenge! I would not want to be in that boat!

quizlet2003
09-15-2002, 09:05 PM
uhm my bills. Maybe you dont record this but GW is 3rd in the NFL in coaches decisions winning

Kelly The Dog
09-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Plus he's the only one that doesnt get to see the replays. Guys tell head coaches whether or not to make those calls. You can't blame it on the HC.

mybills
09-15-2002, 09:15 PM
You're right, I don't record anything...because I use my eyes. Meaning, stats don't mean anything to me. Seeing is believing, and I believe I saw him throwing the red flag all over the
place last year...with too many lost challenges. I just hope he or they are not going to do that again this year. :scratch:

John Doe
09-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Oh! I get it now: when GW wins a challenge he is "lucky." When he loses one he a bonehead. For the record, the lost challenge happened in the first half that we finished with a time out to spare.

mybills
09-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by John Doe
Oh! I get it now: when GW wins a challenge he is "lucky." When he loses one he a bonehead.

nope, you don't get it.

vmark11
09-16-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog

Say what? Really, do people actually think about what they're writing? I wonder sometimes.
Who wants what both ways?
When you're up by 4 with 3 minutes left, you go for 1; period. Yes the Vikings TD woud've given them a 1 point lead, and no doubt they would've went for 2 to go up by 3, and if they made it that would not have "won them the game in regulation".

Kelly The Dog
09-16-2002, 06:39 AM
by having it both ways i meant that ost everyone busting on GW lately is using the blanket statement "bottom line, we lost"... if that's true, which i don't think it is anyway, this game show be "bottom line, we won" to them and that line of reasoning. He made a lot of very good decisions in this game and a couple that could have gone either way, and it worked out great. Fans seem to want 100% success rate, in foresight and hindsight. He's a good coach, the players like him and play hard for him. I think we're going to be very very good with GW as our coach.

SABURZFAN
09-16-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Ok quiz............I'm with you on that one!

Coach's mistakes don't hurt when you win!

they may not hurt but they make you wonder.especially if we would have lost that game.i think drew may have saved his job.

TedMock
09-16-2002, 10:03 AM
I don't think it was a bad idea going for 2. Brien missed 2 pat's and that would have been more pressure on him. I wouln't have gone for 2 personally but I don't think it was an aweful call. I would have gone for it on 4th and 1 on the 2 yardline in the first quarter though. Very early in the game and if we don't get it, it's Mini's ball on their own 2.

Drewpac
09-16-2002, 10:50 AM
I thought GW made some really terrible decisions yesterday. He should never have gone for two regardless of how Brien was kicking. Also, he should have taken a timeout when there was a minute left in regulation to give our offense more time on that last drive. It was obvious that Minnesota was going to punch it in (1st & goal from the 3 yard line) yet he let the time run down to 26 seconds. Then, on Hollis' miss in overtime, they should have never kicked the field goal on 3rd down. A 44-yard field goal is no gimme. They needed to try to get a few more yards for Hollis! GW always makes me wanna pull my hair out. If we had a good coach we would be playoff bound IMO!

Novacane
09-16-2002, 11:00 AM
I hear you Drewpac.. I was screaming for him to call TO when the Vikes were down close at the end of the game. I don't understand why he did not. You have got to plan ahead. It's like he was throwing all his eggs in one basket that our D would stop them. Thank goodness Drew bailed his butt out!

Kelly The Dog
09-16-2002, 11:11 AM
You cannot stop the clock with less than a minute when the other team has no time-outs. That's just plain stupid. That would give them FOUR plays to score and allow them to run it into the line. If the clock is running, they have to pass. Can you imagine what you people would be saying if GW called three staright time-outs and the Bills allowed the Vikes to have FOUR tries from the three yard line? I have my doubts that any coach in the NFL would have called a time-out then. The Vikes had a first down at the 13. If it was first and goal you call time-outs because they will only have four tries regardless of the time. You can't use them earlier because of exactly what they did, which was get a first at the three. It just so happened that the Vikes did well to score the TD but the no time-outs was the wise move.

DIHARD2
09-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Two points or one point the other team still had to score a touchdown in order to win. So when do you practice a two point conversion? When you have to make it or when it didn't matter. If that one point would have forced, the Vikings into a two score situation then, you go with the field goal, but when one point at that time in the game didn't make the difference, practice the two point conversion, when you can.

I will take a win any day! Especially after last year.
GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Drewpac
09-16-2002, 01:15 PM
Sorry DieHard2 but going for 2 did make a difference! If we would have kicked the PAT then Hollis' kick would have won it at the end of regulation. The score was 36-32 when they went for 2. The PAT would have made it 37-32. So, when the Vikes scored it would have been 39-37 (or either 40-37 or 38-37 since imo the Vikes would have then gone for 2).

Also, my argument was for the Bills to call timeout when the Vikes had it 1st and goal at the 3yard-line. There was no way we were going to stop them at that point the way our defense was playing and there was a little over 1 minute remaining when Moss made the first down catch. That was terrible coaching IMO.

I will give GW credit for getting his players prepared to give their all in every game and never giving up but he should receive criticism when it is due. Those mistakes nearly cost us the game!

WG
09-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Of course we should have gone for two. What on earth is the reasoning behind not doing so?

The bottom line to all this is that we beat one of the league's worst D's and couldn't contain their O from scoring almost 40. Last week we lost to the lowly Jets who seem to suck w/o Martin at full strength. They got WHIPPED this week.

As soon as our schedule starts, this weekend coming, we're not gonna have the luxury of playing the league's worst Ds. We'll be playing for keeps against a whole schlew of playoff teams. We won't be putting up 40 ppg while fronting a very plain pro-set, drop-back offense. It simply isn't going to happen. DC's on those teams aren't that stupid that they can't pressure DB and force us to run Henry. I don't want to roll the dice each week on whether or not Henry can run the ball.

KG is getting a HUGE pass as a result of how well the players on the O executed a fairly straight forward strategy.

But screens to the WRs for 3 or 4 when we need 8, or bumbling draws for nothing, simply aren't going to cut it for when we need to come up w/ something to throw the D off balance. It just won't.

My prediction, all those giving KG the pass this week are gonna be griping about him next. We'll see...

He did absolutely nothing creative either this week or last. We won this week on the simple execution in very plain sets and schemes of DB, Moulds, Price, and Reed.

The O scored 2 TDs and 5 FGs. We can thank the STs this week and the D for putting up 14.

Drewpac
09-16-2002, 01:37 PM
I see Wys brought his anti-KG campaign over to this thread that has absolutely nothing to do with him. :) Your negativity is a bit nauseating. At least enjoy our win for a day or two. This isn't supposed to be a playoff team this year anyway. If anything, you should be attacking Jerry Gray or GW, not Gilbride. Every team in the NFL has some plays during a game that are not very successful. Hell, look at the Rams this year. And Martz is supposedly an offensive genius.