PDA

View Full Version : Tyrod Taylor and the 30th in passing thingy...

jamze132
12-29-2016, 07:54 PM
I think some people are simply looking at the Buffalo passing attack with a skewed viewpoint. However, I can't sit here and defend Tyrod's inability to throw receivers open, throw with anticipation, or his lack of accuracy. He's not the ideal QB to build a team around, that's for sure. No doubt about it, he needs some work!

But simply saying that we have to move on from Tyrod because we have one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL is asinine. Don't forget that the compliment to one of the worst passing offenses is the best rushing offense in the NFL, and Tyrod plays a big part of that. All in all, Tyrod accounted for over 3600 yards and 23 TDs and co-led with Shady an offense that scored more points than the defense has allowed, which hasn't happened in a long time.

I understand the business side and the $30M he's owed in March but I think we have to pick it up. Yes, next year's cap hit is huge, but it gets significantly lower throughout the follow-on years of the contract, which is very team-friendly.

None of us wanted Rex here and we got our wish. Most fans are split over Whaley still being here and we can't change that. I can't see any of the top coaching candidates wanting to come to the dumpster fire known as OBD so that pretty much leaves Lynn as the obvious choice for HC. Not ideal, but it is what it is. I see no reason why our offense next year under Lynn and ran by Tyrod would be any worse than this year. You can pretty much count on a top 5 rushing attack (if we remain healthy) and with a full offseason WITHOUT Rex and David Lee, you should see some improvement in the passing game, which will only help the offense move the ball and score even more than we did this year.

Mace
12-29-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't know. If you watched all the games like I did, you saw the same passer I did.

In his 6th year as a pro (4 of them with Flacco and the more competent Baltimore staff), after 2 years in his starting offense, he's still an inadequate passer. I know sometimes it takes a while to develop a passer, but at 7 years it's unreasonable to assume Taylor will suddenly become a better passer.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2016, 08:04 PM
I don't base my opinion of Tyrod off his passing numbers. We're 31st in passing yard and 31st in passing attempts. We're a run based team, it's obvious.

I base my opinion that the dude seemingly only has two routes in his arsenal...dump off to a back or fly route to Watkins or Goodwin. Anything else he throws appears to be on accident. He doesn't show authority to command an offense when it comes to being a passer and either doesn't trust his ability to work between the hashes or can't see between the hashes.

I will not discount what Tyrod brings to our rushing game, just like I didn't discount what Vick brought to the Falcons rushing game. The difference was Vick could make throws to all areas of the field...albeit not very accurately at times; not that Tyrod is accurate either.

jamze132
12-29-2016, 08:05 PM
I don't know. If you watched all the games like I did, you saw the same passer I did.

In his 6th year as a pro (4 of them with Flacco and the more competent Baltimore staff), after 2 years in his starting offense, he's still an inadequate passer. I know sometimes it takes a while to develop a passer, but at 7 years it's unreasonable to assume Taylor will suddenly become a better passer.
Yeah I get it man but he's only been the starter for two years...under Rex Ryan and David Lee. Not exactly the best situation to develop your passing skills.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't base my opinion of Tyrod off his passing numbers. We're 31st in passing yard and 31st in passing attempts. We're a run based team, it's obvious.

I base my opinion that the dude seemingly only has two routes in his arsenal...dump off to a back or fly route to Watkins or Goodwin. Anything else he throws appears to be on accident. He doesn't show authority to command an offense when it comes to being a passer and either doesn't trust his ability to work between the hashes or can't see between the hashes.

I will not discount what Tyrod brings to our rushing game, just like I didn't discount what Vick brought to the Falcons rushing game. The difference was Vick could make throws to all areas of the field...albeit not very accurately at times; not that Tyrod is accurate either.

Recommendation? Who's better to lead the offense next year?

Mr. Pink
12-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Yeah I get it man but he's only been the starter for two years...under Rex Ryan and David Lee. Not exactly the best situation to develop your passing skills.

- - - Updated - - -

Recommendation? Who's better to lead the offense next year?

A guy who is a pass first player.

It's time to evolve the offense into the 1980's style NFL let alone the 21st century.

I can do the perennial 7-9 dance with EJ, Hoyer, Cassel...or maybe one of them completely flops and we're looking at a top 5 draft pick we can spend on a QB.

Or, if you want to think this team is on the cusp, you go out and get Romo or Cutler for a couple years to try and use the end of that window to make a playoff appearance...while drafting a QB still to start the 2019 season. That QB can be drafted this year or next year.

Either scenario, you're going full in realizing that whoever the QB is next year won't be the QB in a few seasons. Whoever is there is just the bridge to the eventual guy. Then you just have to hope you pick a winner in the eventual guy. Even if Tyrod's contract is picked up, I don't think he's here past 2 more years anyway.

Any scenario you're looking at 3 years from now someone not on this roster is going to be the Bills QB. The question becomes how do you plan on getting there? Are you paying a guy 40 million to be a middler to get there? Are you paying half or a quarter of that to be a middler and get there? Or are you taking a real shot for a 2 year window, paying 40ish million still to get there?

jimmifli
12-29-2016, 08:22 PM

There's no substitute for actually playing though. So sure, he's been in the league but he's had 2 seasons of on the job learning, with real in game consequences.

He's good enough to win with a HOF RB and a Gym Shorts defense. I'd be fine if we hired Schwartz, kept Lynn, brought back Tyrod and drafted a QB in the 1st or 2nd.

It;s not my ideal plan, but I'd have hope for the future.

feldspar
12-29-2016, 08:36 PM
I think we should have kept Ryan around for another year, and then if people were to go down, they'd go down together...guys like Whaley and perhaps Brandon. Two .500 years with Rex isn't enough to pull this stunt, where most of the blame is deflected on Rex IMO. Now it looks like some of the better coaching prospects won't want to come here because of the fear they won't get a fair shake, let alone a fair window of a chance to turn things around in any kind of sane environment.

As far as Tyrod goes, I think that it's more likely than not our starter next year will be worse than him if we don't pick up his option. Should they pick up his option. I don't know, because the Bills have put themselves into such a crazy spot. There are too many other teams that are looking for a QB who are in a better position to draft, afford, trade, or lure one to their organization. It's almost as if the Bills would be better off tanking and blowing up the works, which seems a shame to me because I feel that the Bills are closer to competing than people think, but they seem he'll-bent on shooting themselves in the foot.

Whaley needs to be held accountable too. Now we have to wait until the next coach fails for that to happen? Dunno where this next QB will magically appear from. Brandon is an enigma, and is now too entrenched in the Pegula's business to just fire on the spot. Gotta just completely get him away of football decisions entirely, if this hasn't happened already...and I mean ENTIRELY. get him out of the War-room, and don't even ask him about players or coaches...the man is simply not qualified to go there. That would be a start. But, I mean how obvious is THAT?

If we wanted to keep Tyrod, we should also have kept Rex IMO.

jamze132
12-29-2016, 08:42 PM
I think Tyrod wouldn't be looked at like he currently is if we had the top 5 defense we had before Rex ****ed it up...

Mace
12-29-2016, 08:50 PM
There's no substitute for actually playing though. So sure, he's been in the league but he's had 2 seasons of on the job learning, with real in game consequences.

He's good enough to win with a HOF RB and a Gym Shorts defense. I'd be fine if we hired Schwartz, kept Lynn, brought back Tyrod and drafted a QB in the 1st or 2nd.

It;s not my ideal plan, but I'd have hope for the future.

I don't know. Kyle Orton had 2 game winning drives in his 12 games, with a Schwartz defense. Taylor has 3 on his career in 2 years. In the modern game you need to pass to compete with the big kids. The Schwartz defense has had its' moments in Philly, will have more, but they have Wentz. His defense here was a perfect marriage of skill and coach, a rare thing, the talent level here has already changed and he doesn't have the same one there. Might take years here again to get to that level.

Taylor now just finished the 2nd year in his offense. You see rookies commanding and directing their offenses better, they've played less games, and worked at it less years.

In a run first, read option offense minimizing mistakes, we're not going to find better than Taylor. But that offense cannot compete with the big boys.

It's just my opinion, but it looks to me like he's good enough to beat not good teams, which keeps us in the 7-9 to 9-7 range of always maybe. I understand his appeal as least worst or most tolerable, but that's not going to elevate the team when he can't run a 2 minute drill or pass his way down the field when needed on a regular basis. I don't think that one game was indicative.

Running the ball just eats clock, when it's your primary offense, you're bringing a knife to a gunfight against good teams.

Lynn uses the pass sometimes to set up the run, and isn't afraid to keep throwing when he has to. You see Newton, Roethlisberger, elusive in the pocket to throw most often, Taylor looks for a running lane or dumps off when employing that gift.

I just see Taylor as the least worst, status quo option for a running offense. He's going to take reps, and well, be who he is. I don't see us progressing with him, I see us staying the same, and that only works if you maintain it as a contender, which we just aren't.

Turf
12-29-2016, 09:02 PM
I think we should have kept Ryan around for another year, and then if people were to go down, they'd go down together...guys like Whaley and perhaps Brandon. Two .500 years with Rex isn't enough to pull this stunt, where most of the blame is deflected on Rex IMO. Now it looks like some of the better coaching prospects won't want to come here because of the fear they won't get a fair shake, let alone a fair window of a chance to turn things around in any kind of sane environment.

As far as Tyrod goes, I think that it's more likely than not our starter next year will be worse than him if we don't pick up his option. Should they pick up his option. I don't know, because the Bills have put themselves into such a crazy spot. There are too many other teams that are looking for a QB who are in a better position to draft, afford, trade, or lure one to their organization. It's almost as if the Bills would be better off tanking and blowing up the works, which seems a shame to me because I feel that the Bills are closer to competing than people think, but they seem he'll-bent on shooting themselves in the foot.

Whaley needs to be held accountable too. Now we have to wait until the next coach fails for that to happen? Dunno where this next QB will magically appear from. Brandon is an enigma, and is now too entrenched in the Pegula's business to just fire on the spot. Gotta just completely get him away of football decisions entirely, if this hasn't happened already...and I mean ENTIRELY. get him out of the War-room, and don't even ask him about players or coaches...the man is simply not qualified to go there. That would be a start. But, I mean how obvious is THAT?

If we wanted to keep Tyrod, we should also have kept Rex IMO.

WHY? Ryan destroyed our defense and led an undisciplined team. He's an idiot no matter how you cut it. I see NO redeeming value in Ryan remaining. He's responsible for the demise of this club. Is Whaley innocent, hell no. But Ryan is a buffoon and always has been. Hiring his brother with a terrible track record was manifest in us giving up 3 record running games againt our defense in one year. I can't imagine WHY anyone would want this stupid dickwad coaching this club.

jimmifli
12-29-2016, 09:27 PM
It's just my opinion, but it looks to me like he's good enough to beat not good teams, which keeps us in the 7-9 to 9-7 range of always maybe.

That's probably about right. In a different division that range probably becomes an extra +/- 2 games or more so 5-11 to 11-5 depending on the schedule. But in the AFCE, it's just not good enough.

Which leaves the problem, if not him... then who is going to be better?

jamze132
12-29-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't know. Kyle Orton had 2 game winning drives in his 12 games, with a Schwartz defense. Taylor has 3 on his career in 2 years. In the modern game you need to pass to compete with the big kids. The Schwartz defense has had its' moments in Philly, will have more, but they have Wentz. His defense here was a perfect marriage of skill and coach, a rare thing, the talent level here has already changed and he doesn't have the same one there. Might take years here again to get to that level.

Taylor now just finished the 2nd year in his offense. You see rookies commanding and directing their offenses better, they've played less games, and worked at it less years.

In a run first, read option offense minimizing mistakes, we're not going to find better than Taylor. But that offense cannot compete with the big boys.

It's just my opinion, but it looks to me like he's good enough to beat not good teams, which keeps us in the 7-9 to 9-7 range of always maybe. I understand his appeal as least worst or most tolerable, but that's not going to elevate the team when he can't run a 2 minute drill or pass his way down the field when needed on a regular basis. I don't think that one game was indicative.

Running the ball just eats clock, when it's your primary offense, you're bringing a knife to a gunfight against good teams.

Lynn uses the pass sometimes to set up the run, and isn't afraid to keep throwing when he has to. You see Newton, Roethlisberger, elusive in the pocket to throw most often, Taylor looks for a running lane or dumps off when employing that gift.

I just see Taylor as the least worst, status quo option for a running offense. He's going to take reps, and well, be who he is. I don't see us progressing with him, I see us staying the same, and that only works if you maintain it as a contender, which we just aren't.

Our current offense can compete with the big boys. Our current defense cannot hold their end of the deal. If we had a top 5 defense, Tyrod would be considered a great QB for us. He would have more wins. But our defense allowed 3 200+ yard rushers this season and blew coverage all season. I'm not sure how many other QBs would have been successful on the same offense this year. We did put up a LOT of points.

YardRat
12-30-2016, 05:02 AM
Nobody believes Tyrod is the long term answer, but more would be willing to bring him back if it weren't for the huge financial ramifications. I've been critical of Taylor myself and even though his passing skill set is severely lacking he's probably as good of a seat-warmer as anybody until we find a real QB. I'll be damned if I'm paying a seat-warmer $30mil however, when I can find one for $5 to $10.

sukie
12-30-2016, 08:04 AM
Tyrod needs time to develop. EJ is EJ. Why the vast difference in attitude?

Jimkelly12203
12-30-2016, 10:28 AM
He is inaccurate and does not see the field. He has left countless TDs on the board because he flat out does not see someone that is wide open. Any target he does hit tends to be in a spot where their momentum is the opposite of what you'd want to get yards after the catch. Often someone he hits is merely stationary and waiting for the ball to come. He's an absolutely terrible NFL passer. TERRIBLE!

This is offset by the fact that he's an exceptional runner, has a very strong arm and is very cautious with the ball. He won't lose you games with dumb clumsy turnovers like EJ. Bottom line is that he's not good enough. And no one on this crappy roster Whaley has created is even remotely close to an NFL starting QB.

jamze132
12-30-2016, 09:47 PM
He is inaccurate and does not see the field. He has left countless TDs on the board because he flat out does not see someone that is wide open. Any target he does hit tends to be in a spot where their momentum is the opposite of what you'd want to get yards after the catch. Often someone he hits is merely stationary and waiting for the ball to come. He's an absolutely terrible NFL passer. TERRIBLE!

This is offset by the fact that he's an exceptional runner, has a very strong arm and is very cautious with the ball. He won't lose you games with dumb clumsy turnovers like EJ. Bottom line is that he's not good enough. And no one on this crappy roster Whaley has created is even remotely close to an NFL starting QB.

But he is good enough because the offense put up some major points this year...