PDA

View Full Version : Bart Scott to Dareus : " Can't Put Playbook in Crayon"

Zero
12-30-2016, 11:45 AM
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/bart_scott_calls_out_bills_marcell_dareus_we_cant_put_the_play_book_in_crayon.html

Marcell not the sharpest knife in the box of sharp knives, at least according to Mr. Scott.

stuckincincy
12-30-2016, 11:52 AM
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/bart_scott_calls_out_bills_marcell_dareus_we_cant_put_the_play_book_in_crayon.html

Marcell not the sharpest knife in the box of sharp knives, at least according to Mr. Scott.

:rofl:

Historian
12-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Wow.

bleve
12-30-2016, 12:24 PM
If you read the article (http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/12/buffalo_bills_players_explain_why_rex_ryans_defense_didnt_work.html), Dareus is suggesting it may have been too complicated for "some players...". He's not saying it was too complicated for him.

Just sayin'.

jimmifli
12-30-2016, 01:10 PM
I think he's using "too complicated" to describe the roles and responsibilities of the Dline. I think he's right, I really only want him doing one thing: Blow up the big dude in front of you and then tackle the little guy with the ball.

I get that sometimes he should blow up the big dude to the left or the right, or run behind Kyle... but I don't think that's what he's saying is too complicated.

WagonCircler
12-30-2016, 01:17 PM
I think Doug Whaley belongs in college football. He puts together teams of athletes with $100 MIL measurables and 10¢ heads.

You can win that way at Alabama or Ohio State or LSU. You can "out-athlete" your opponents, running Pop Warner schemes that can be grasped by your mentally deficient players.

But you can't win that way in the NFL. You have to be athletic and smart.

Whaley really doesn't get that. This will be a losing franchise until he is gone.

Skooby
12-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Thank God we have this guy under contract until 2019.

DynaPaul
12-30-2016, 01:27 PM
I always wanted my own Albert Haynesworth.

Thurmal
12-30-2016, 01:34 PM
I think Doug Whaley belongs in college football. He puts together teams of athletes with $100 MIL measurables and 10¢ heads.

You can win that way at Alabama or Ohio State or LSU. You can "out-athlete" your opponents, running Pop Warner schemes that can be grasped by your mentally deficient players.

But you can't win that way in the NFL. You have to be athletic and smart.

Whaley really doesn't get that. This will be a losing franchise until he is gone.
He's a strange case as far as talent evaluation is concerned. He is pretty good at picking up guys off the scrap heap in free agency and getting decent value for them, but cannot draft well and has no concept of establishing team identity or chemistry. He just acquires talent for the sake of talent, with no care as to how players will complement one another.

A perfect example is the drafting of Watkins and free agency signing of Clay. Both great talents, but not great moves for this team because the price for both was far too high for a team with no QB and many other holes to fill.

The Jokeman
12-30-2016, 02:09 PM
He's a strange case as far as talent evaluation is concerned. He is pretty good at picking up guys off the scrap heap in free agency and getting decent value for them, but cannot draft well and has no concept of establishing team identity or chemistry. He just acquires talent for the sake of talent, with no care as to how players will complement one another.

A perfect example is the drafting of Watkins and free agency signing of Clay. Both great talents, but not great moves for this team because the price for both was far too high for a team with no QB and many other holes to fill.
Funny wasn't TE play one of the things that was a staple of the 49ers playbook and former OC Greg Roman? Also wasn't Percy Harvin a guy who had ties to Rex prior to signing here? I'll agree that Whaley hasn't filled the hole we have at QB. Yet you can't say it's not with a lack of effort. Though unlike his predecessors he hasn't forced us to commit to a guy or a guy's salary too long that we can't move on and find the next "one".

IlluminatusUIUC
12-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Dareus and Scott are clearly talking past each other here. Dareus was not saying the offense was too complex for him specifically, he cast that allegation over several people. And Scott responds by pointing out how "simple" the playcalls are, but what Dareus said was that the adjustments were what screwed them up. Considering that Scott played 11 years in the Ryan D vs. Dareus playing in 4 systems in five years, I can see why Scott would think it's simple and Dareus would think it's difficult.

Thurmal
12-30-2016, 02:34 PM
I'll agree that Whaley hasn't filled the hole we have at QB. Yet you can't say it's not with a lack of effort. Though unlike his predecessors he hasn't forced us to commit to a guy.

The only guy Whaley has made a legitimate attempt with is EJ. The two best QBs during his tenure, Taylor and Orton, were only brought here b/c Ryan and Marrone essentially begged for them.

The Jokeman
12-30-2016, 02:43 PM
The only guy Whaley has made a legitimate attempt with is EJ. The two best QBs during his tenure, Taylor and Orton, were only brought here b/c Ryan and Marrone essentially begged for them.

Which to me the reports he doesn't work with the coach's absurd. I know people want to paint a certain picture of Whaley that I just don't see. I mean if he was truly committed to EJ and only EJ would he ever signed the other two?

swiper
12-30-2016, 02:57 PM

Bart Scott is the biggest Rex Ryan soldier on the planet. He'll do or say anything to protect Rex Ryan. That's why his teammates in NY couldn't wait to get rid of him.

jimmifli
12-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Dareus and Scott are clearly talking past each other here. Dareus was not saying the offense was too complex for him specifically, he cast that allegation over several people. And Scott responds by pointing out how "simple" the playcalls are, but what Dareus said was that the adjustments were what screwed them up. Considering that Scott played 11 years in the Ryan D vs. Dareus playing in 4 systems in five years, I can see why Scott would think it's simple and Dareus would think it's difficult.

I'm not even sure if Marcel is saying that. I think he's saying Ryan's scheme is too complicated to be effective, not that it's too complicated for him to understand.

SpikedLemonade
12-30-2016, 03:25 PM

AND also according to Mr. SpikedLemonade...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvKzyYy6qvY

cookie G
12-30-2016, 03:56 PM
I think he's using "too complicated" to describe the roles and responsibilities of the Dline. I think he's right, I really only want him doing one thing: Blow up the big dude in front of you and then tackle the little guy with the ball.

I get that sometimes he should blow up the big dude to the left or the right, or run behind Kyle... but I don't think that's what he's saying is too complicated.

The pre-snap/post-snap reads could be a part of it, he made that comment last year. He'd prefer to just go after the QB or the RB. And what Mace has said could be true, you keep adding reads and checks upon checks, and sooner or later, you end up with a cluster****. Its like running a half dozen antivirus programs on your comp., plus another dozen malware checkers, plus 2 dozen software updaters...eventually the system will slow down.

But if you read the article cited by Bleve, he's really harping at communication issues.

Most players point to communication, which was a constant issue in 2015 and remained an issue all the way until Rex's final game. It's fair to wonder if the presence of Rex, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman and defensive assistant Rob Ryan made for too many voices. Injuries didn't help, either, as new players struggled to pick up where starters left off.

"It's like being in a relationship," defensive tackle Marcell Dareus said. "You can't really be a good husband or a good wife if the communication isn't where you feel like it should be.

This was a problem last year, it was a problem this year, it was a huge problem with Robbo in NO, and its what eventually got him fired. Sean Payton complained about not having guys lined up correctly or guys not being on the field as a continuous problem.

What it sounds like is the "too complex" statement is as much of a problem for the coaches as it was for the players. they're the ones making the last second calls and the last second substitutions.

As far as whether Dareus can handle a complex system..pfft...he played under Nick Saban.

From the article...

Dareus noted that the defense may have been too complex for some players on the team and that with so many checks there was "too much detail." But even Dareus said it was not the most complex scheme he played in.

"No," Dareus said. "Alabama for sure. Alabama was crazy man. Coach Saban don't play."

A system can be complex or simple, but if the procedures and instructions are a cluster****, it really doesn't matter.

sdbillsfan2
12-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Why does Bart Scott's opinion matter? It changes nothing , accomplishes less and is worth zero.

YardRat
12-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Bart Scott = Jet Stank. **** him, who cares what he thinks.

HAMMER
12-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Sorry folks, Bart is right. Dareus has proven over and over he is a dumb MF'er.

justasportsfan
12-30-2016, 05:50 PM
Dont think anyone was calling him stupid under Schwartz although everyone except for Kyle got stupid under Rex.

Mace
12-30-2016, 06:55 PM
I remember a couple plays vividly from last year.

One, against the Titans, Mariota being a running threat, takes off under pressure, open field ahead. Thought why weren't they shadowing him ? As he's moving forward, the camera angle reveals they were shadowing him on that play in case he ran....with Kyle Williams in the deep flat. Kyle Williams ! Kyle, a slow train a coming in that situation starts rumbling in to cut him off. You can see clearly, if Mariota accelerates or cuts back, he's got open field ahead. Fortunately he panicked and ran out of bounds well before Williams was even close to closing in.

Another, I don't remember the opponent, but they're deep in Bills territory, looked like the same defensive reads, different option, because there was Dareus, deep in the flat, rumbling left, rumbling right with the QB's movements in the pocket. Was fortunately an incomplete pass.

I knew for sure then there was something real wrong with Ryan's defense if you have your DT's shadowing the QB and covering the slot in pass coverage, but thing is, you could tell by the way both plays developed, everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing.

The execution looked right, whatever checks followed to determine role. But I couldn't imagine how Dareus and Kyle on those plays, lining up in the o-lines face, known respectively as a run stuffer and gap shooter, had to determine by the snap, that they were supposed to drop in into the deep flat. Keyed up for contact, oh wait, I'm supposed to drop I think, no, yes, I drop (snap).

It's not about Dareus, or Kyle, it's about the last attempted all-in hurrah of an obsolete overly complicated reactive system that had trouble getting the proper number of players on the field and in the right place for uncertain roles depending on too many other people following the right checks and reads at the same time.

Offenses have gotten exponentially more complex, purely being reactive to them in terms of personnel and roles to engineer your setup in so many seconds play after play just looks completely unrealistic and undoable to me.

I can even see Dareus was right, and it has nothing to do with what I think of Dareus.

Bart Scott ? Well, the game is 4 years past him and counting, it hasn't remained static.

TacklingDummy
12-30-2016, 10:12 PM

So Dareus the Rocket Scientist is calling other people stupid?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-30-2016, 10:30 PM
So Dareus the Rocket Scientist is calling other people stupid?
I'm not sure how this has turned into a battle of "Who thinks who is stupid." Rex's defense is very complex, that's not in dispute. If your defense is too complicated, players are playing slow, thinking and not reacting.

I mean, Rex himself was so flummoxed he was making mental error after mental error in the Miami game, and he's not even sprinting around out there.

Mahdi
12-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Trade Marcell and Hughes.

If we can get a second rounder for each I'd do it.

Their not winners. Ripping your coach after he's fired about the system being too complex shows what you are.

Jimkelly12203
12-31-2016, 03:30 AM
WGR's defense of Dareus (if you guys listened to their stuff all week) specifically called out fans who have views on Dareus entirely consistent with mine.

He's a pot head (so am I) but doesn't have any regard for the fact that his habit is going to cost his friends. I like weed and all, but i can definitely table that sh(t in exchange for his contract.

It's pathetic. I'm sick of defending this team and the crappy half-ass players we have.

Dareus is a top 5 DT talent in the nfl. And yet there's two dozen cheaper, better players i'd trade him for.

Whaley is a great GM.

swiper
12-31-2016, 05:30 AM

Their not winners. Ripping your coach after he's fired about the system being too complex shows what you are.

That is the stupidest of all your stupid suggestions.

feldspar
12-31-2016, 07:35 AM
I think Marcell would play better if he wasn't asked to play Nose Tackle so much.

Still have to question his motivation at this point, though.

swiper
12-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Sorry folks, Bart is right. Dareus has proven over and over he is a dumb MF'er.

You should go re-read cookie's post about him getting the Alabama defense which was more difficult.

justasportsfan
12-31-2016, 09:11 AM

This is plain stupid

Jimkelly12203
12-31-2016, 12:58 PM
Dareus is terrible. 100 million dollars and the jackass can't learn a playbook or stay off the weed. It's incredible that we were dumb enough to pay this guy 100 million. We all might have liked the idea at the time, but the people that payed him see him every single day. The incompetence is mind numbing with this organization.

Whaley puts an injury clause into Tyrod's contract. Where's the pot head clause in Dareus contract? Are we just giving players whatever it is their agents ask for?

SpikedLemonade
01-01-2017, 10:13 AM
I would just give all the Bills players a playbook done on an Etch & Sketch .