• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zero
    Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
    • Oct 2004

Bart Scott to Dareus : " Can't Put Playbook in Crayon"

Marcell not the sharpest knife in the box of sharp knives, at least according to Mr. Scott.
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Bart Scott to Dareus : " Can't Put Playbook in Crayon"

Originally posted by Zero View Post
    http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffal...in_crayon.html

Marcell not the sharpest knife in the box of sharp knives, at least according to Mr. Scott.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Wow.

Comment

• bleve
        • Mar 2005

If you read the article, Dareus is suggesting it may have been too complicated for "some players...". He's not saying it was too complicated for him.

Just sayin'.
        "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
        ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

I think he's using "too complicated" to describe the roles and responsibilities of the Dline. I think he's right, I really only want him doing one thing: Blow up the big dude in front of you and then tackle the little guy with the ball.

I get that sometimes he should blow up the big dude to the left or the right, or run behind Kyle... but I don't think that's what he's saying is too complicated.

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

I think Doug Whaley belongs in college football. He puts together teams of athletes with $100 MIL measurables and 10¢ heads.

You can win that way at Alabama or Ohio State or LSU. You can "out-athlete" your opponents, running Pop Warner schemes that can be grasped by your mentally deficient players.

But you can't win that way in the NFL. You have to be athletic and smart.

Whaley really doesn't get that. This will be a losing franchise until he is gone.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Thank God we have this guy under contract until 2019.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

I always wanted my own Albert Haynesworth.

Comment

• Thurmal
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  I think Doug Whaley belongs in college football. He puts together teams of athletes with $100 MIL measurables and 10¢ heads.

You can win that way at Alabama or Ohio State or LSU. You can "out-athlete" your opponents, running Pop Warner schemes that can be grasped by your mentally deficient players.

But you can't win that way in the NFL. You have to be athletic and smart.

Whaley really doesn't get that. This will be a losing franchise until he is gone.
                  He's a strange case as far as talent evaluation is concerned. He is pretty good at picking up guys off the scrap heap in free agency and getting decent value for them, but cannot draft well and has no concept of establishing team identity or chemistry. He just acquires talent for the sake of talent, with no care as to how players will complement one another.

A perfect example is the drafting of Watkins and free agency signing of Clay. Both great talents, but not great moves for this team because the price for both was far too high for a team with no QB and many other holes to fill.
                  "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                    He's a strange case as far as talent evaluation is concerned. He is pretty good at picking up guys off the scrap heap in free agency and getting decent value for them, but cannot draft well and has no concept of establishing team identity or chemistry. He just acquires talent for the sake of talent, with no care as to how players will complement one another.

A perfect example is the drafting of Watkins and free agency signing of Clay. Both great talents, but not great moves for this team because the price for both was far too high for a team with no QB and many other holes to fill.
                    Funny wasn't TE play one of the things that was a staple of the 49ers playbook and former OC Greg Roman? Also wasn't Percy Harvin a guy who had ties to Rex prior to signing here? I'll agree that Whaley hasn't filled the hole we have at QB. Yet you can't say it's not with a lack of effort. Though unlike his predecessors he hasn't forced us to commit to a guy or a guy's salary too long that we can't move on and find the next "one".

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Dareus and Scott are clearly talking past each other here. Dareus was not saying the offense was too complex for him specifically, he cast that allegation over several people. And Scott responds by pointing out how "simple" the playcalls are, but what Dareus said was that the adjustments were what screwed them up. Considering that Scott played 11 years in the Ryan D vs. Dareus playing in 4 systems in five years, I can see why Scott would think it's simple and Dareus would think it's difficult.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                        I'll agree that Whaley hasn't filled the hole we have at QB. Yet you can't say it's not with a lack of effort. Though unlike his predecessors he hasn't forced us to commit to a guy.
                        The only guy Whaley has made a legitimate attempt with is EJ. The two best QBs during his tenure, Taylor and Orton, were only brought here b/c Ryan and Marrone essentially begged for them.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                          The only guy Whaley has made a legitimate attempt with is EJ. The two best QBs during his tenure, Taylor and Orton, were only brought here b/c Ryan and Marrone essentially begged for them.
                          Which to me the reports he doesn't work with the coach's absurd. I know people want to paint a certain picture of Whaley that I just don't see. I mean if he was truly committed to EJ and only EJ would he ever signed the other two?
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 12-30-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                            http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffal...in_crayon.html

Bart Scott is the biggest Rex Ryan soldier on the planet. He'll do or say anything to protect Rex Ryan. That's why his teammates in NY couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              Dareus and Scott are clearly talking past each other here. Dareus was not saying the offense was too complex for him specifically, he cast that allegation over several people. And Scott responds by pointing out how "simple" the playcalls are, but what Dareus said was that the adjustments were what screwed them up. Considering that Scott played 11 years in the Ryan D vs. Dareus playing in 4 systems in five years, I can see why Scott would think it's simple and Dareus would think it's difficult.
                              I'm not even sure if Marcel is saying that. I think he's saying Ryan's scheme is too complicated to be effective, not that it's too complicated for him to understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X