X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thurmal
    • Oct 2005

Here's a wild coaching candidate...

Before you filet me for this suggestion, keep in mind that I am looking at this from a realistic standpoint in regards to opportunity. There are not going to be a lot of guys that will want to come here, especially if they have other opportunities either this year or in the next three years. If I am an up-and-coming coordinator, there is no way in hell I'm coming to Buffalo. So, what they have to do is find someone who is dying for a chance and will take one under less-than-ideal circumstances (which is what the Bills job is).

What about Eric Mangini? Guy had a couple good seasons with the Jets (including a playoff berth) before getting tossed out after two years. Barely got a chance with the Browns, but led that team to upsets over the defending champs Saints and the Patriots during the regular season. The one drawback...he was too much of a task master and micro-manager, and his players began to hate him. Coughlin was the same way in Jax and his first few years in NY before he mellowed out, learned from his mistakes, and starting winning SBs.

Mangini could do the same. He's only 45, and has some failures to look back on and approve upon. He'd take the job in a heartbeat.

Let the abuse begin...
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Here's a wild coaching candidate...

I would've rather kept Rex......

Psyche...They're both bums.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

Do you really want this guy as the HC?...

41fdbf444c63e11420b9d97486261e35.jpg
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Thurmal
        • Oct 2005

Those Jets teams that Rex took to the AFC Championship game were Mangini's squad. Ryan didn't start losing until he tried to retool things in his image, just like with Schwartz's defense here!

In all honestly, though, I thought Rex deserved another year. Problem is at the top (cough)Russ Brandon(cough).

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
          Before you filet me for this suggestion, keep in mind that I am looking at this from a realistic standpoint in regards to opportunity. There are not going to be a lot of guys that will want to come here, especially if they have other opportunities either this year or in the next three years. If I am an up-and-coming coordinator, there is no way in hell I'm coming to Buffalo. So, what they have to do is find someone who is dying for a chance and will take one under less-than-ideal circumstances (which is what the Bills job is).

What about Eric Mangini? Guy had a couple good seasons with the Jets (including a playoff berth) before getting tossed out after two years. Barely got a chance with the Browns, but led that team to upsets over the defending champs Saints and the Patriots during the regular season. The one drawback...he was too much of a task master and micro-manager, and his players began to hate him. Coughlin was the same way in Jax and his first few years in NY before he mellowed out, learned from his mistakes, and starting winning SBs.

Mangini could do the same. He's only 45, and has some failures to look back on and approve upon. He'd take the job in a heartbeat.

Let the abuse begin...
          He is worth interviewing.

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

and if manginii dont work

rich kotite hes probably free too

maybe bruce coslett as the OC

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

There are a number of reasons why Mangini didn't get any calls after New York and why the only guy who would hire him was one of the biggest asshats to walk this earth.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Thurmal
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                and if manginii dont work

rich kotite hes probably free too

maybe bruce coslett as the OC
                Don't forget Wayne Fontes.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

Don't forget Wayne Fontes.
                  I almost did ! Wayne !

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

If Doug Marrone isn't offered the jags job... lol

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      There are a number of reasons why Mangini didn't get any calls after New York and why the only guy who would hire him was one of the biggest asshats to walk this earth.
                      He got the call from Cleveland that made him their head coach after his time with the Jets. Cleveland is a coaching graveyard, even worse than Buffalo.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                        He got the call from Cleveland that made him their head coach after his time with the Jets. Cleveland is a coaching graveyard, even worse than Buffalo.
                        Yea I meant Cleveland, though his issues in New York were the same as in Cleveland.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Let the abuse begin...
                          I suggested this a few times last week. It's not crazy. Mangini is Belichick-smart. He's got a strange personality, I guess. At least the Jet players didn't know how to react to him. He wasn't the players buddy (like Rex or Wade), nor was he a yeller (like Coughlin or Gregg Williams). But he lacked a strong offense, QB, and good coordinator in NY.

I think he walked out on SF as their DC, didn't he?

Rex Ryan went to 2 AFC division titles with Mangini's team.
                          Last edited by swiper; 01-01-2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Brian Schottenheimer was Mangini's OC with the NY Jets.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                              If Doug Marrone isn't offered the jags job... lol
                              I'm starting to think Marrone did the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X