PDA

View Full Version : LBS: 5 Hottest NFL Head Coaching Candidates for 2017

swiper
12-31-2016, 08:47 AM
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/5-hottest-nfl-head-coaching-candidates/340959

Austin & Lynn will fly all over the US for Rooney Rule interviews.

Shanahan is the most over-rated candidate for head coach in many, many years. That is a failure waiting to happen.

McDaniels and Steve Spagnuolo (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ben-mcadoo-faith-steve-spagnuolo-pays-giants-article-1.2923645) could be guys like Belichick that were head coaches then went back to coordinator who would likely be successful the second time around.

Now Spagnuolo has been at the head of this latest incredible defensive turnaround. The Giants have gone from the league's worst defense to one of, if not, the best in a single season. No doubt he's been aided by free agent acquisitions like Janoris Jenkins, Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison, but throwing cash at a unit hasn't always worked. Spagnuolo has developed young talent like Landon Collins and Eli Apple and melded the defense into a fearsome group.

swiper
12-31-2016, 08:58 AM
Swiper's favorites for head coach:

Spagnuolo
Schwartz
McDaniels

Swiper would not mind Tom Coughlin in principle.

Swiper doesn't see good things coming from Lynn, Austin (Marvin Lewis II), or Shanahan.

If you look back, I was vehemently against Ryan in all my posts 2 years ago and OBD did it anyway. So either Pegula has learned something or not. Likely not as he claims Whaley is staying. Which appears to mean it will be Lynn.

Just my take.

YardRat
12-31-2016, 09:07 AM
If we're going to give a coordinator a shot, I like Musgrave the best. He's a QB guy, and has never been tied to a team/tree for so long that he may be willing to bring in the best possible staff he can assemble instead of just loading up with friends, and kids of friends.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm leery of McDaniels.

djjimkelly
12-31-2016, 09:21 AM
Swiper's favorites for head coach:

Spagnuolo
Schwartz
McDaniels

Swiper would not mind Tom Coughlin in principle.

Swiper doesn't see good things coming from Lynn, Austin (Marvin Lewis II), or Shanahan.

If you look back, I was vehemently against Ryan in all my posts 2 years ago and OBD did it anyway. So either Pegula has learned something or not. Likely not as he claims Whaley is staying. Which appears to mean it will be Lynn.

Just my take.

i like this list ill add in frank reich

swiper
12-31-2016, 09:28 AM
If we're going to give a coordinator a shot, I like Musgrave the best. He's a QB guy, and has never been tied to a team/tree for so long that he may be willing to bring in the best possible staff he can assemble instead of just loading up with friends, and kids of friends.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm leery of McDaniels.

I agree with you on both guys.

swiper
12-31-2016, 09:30 AM
i like this list ill add in frank reich

I'm leery of Reich as a coach. I'd like to see a couple more years with him and Wentz.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2016, 10:01 AM
We'll see how he does today, but I'm interested in Petersen from UW

DraftBoy
12-31-2016, 10:10 AM
We'll see how he does today, but I'm interested in Petersen from UW

Do you believe he's interested in leaving? If so I'd certainly be interested.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Do you believe he's interested in leaving? If so I'd certainly be interested.

Pegula seems willing to open the wallet, and it is still an NFL job.

Night Train
12-31-2016, 11:48 AM
I could live with Coughlin or Shanahan. The rest mentioned and multiple others do nothing for me.

Yet Whaley, Brandon and negative national perception of our front office still hampers any serious candidates from coming here to interview. That's why the possibility of having Lynn shoved down our throats by Whaley is so insulting. He's not qualified and the circus wins again.

Hoping to be surprised next week. But I'm expecting more of the Doug and Russ show with Pegula standing there saying " duh uh...OK " . If so, goodbye tickets. TV is cheaper and easier to turn off.

Mace
12-31-2016, 11:53 AM
For some reason, I feel compelled to say it in every coach preference thread. They need Head Coach guy not unit coach guy.

I don't want anymore of a guy so caught up in one facet of his team he needs call the plays for it, even if he's diplomatic enough to do it through a longtime sidekick/mouthpiece.

I want a guy who can manage his coordinators who manage their units, not a guy who can strengthen one facet of the team and then you hope he comes up with someone else for the others. Schwartz was a blue moon coordinator, we were fortunate. Can't say about Lynn, he's shackled to what he has.

I'm deeply suspicious of coordinators who have failed as HC's and become successful coordinators. To me it indicates they're good coordinators under a Head Coach guy who manages them.

Sure it can work if you have the right guy in the right place at the right time. But I have zero confidence we have the management to recognize him.

I'd still like Reich who has been around. He's smart and has seen much by now.