PDA

View Full Version : 'Serious' candidates for head coach

YardRat
12-31-2016, 12:51 PM
Every time the team enters a coaching search, the comments about no 'serious' or 'legitimate' candidates will want to come to Buffalo start popping up.

So, with that in mind, who specifically do you consider would be 'serious' or 'legitimate' if they came in for an interview? Who specifically shouldn't be considered 'serious' or 'legitimate'?

capitolneal
12-31-2016, 12:52 PM
wade phillips

Jimkelly12203
12-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Tom Coughlin. Though i have also heard reports that he's not into FO meddling and is fine with a good personnel guy doing his part of the job. I don't know how anyone could view Whaley's personnel record and not have concerns though.

I'm very confident we'll get someone that just feels fortunate to be a HC in the NFL. Or maybe someone like Rex just looking for that last pay day.

feldspar
12-31-2016, 01:19 PM
Cowher and Gruden...

Just kidding.

I like Darrell Bevell, personally.

kingJofNYC
12-31-2016, 02:47 PM
Cowher and Gruden...

Just kidding.

I like Darrell Bevell, personally.
Seahawks fans hate him, much like Niners fans hated Roman.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2016, 03:00 PM
Coughlin and Lynn are the only two serious candidates I can think of.

swiper
12-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Coughlin and Lynn are the only two serious candidates I can think of.

Just Lynn. That's it.

It's been well-documented that Coughlin wants final say over the roster. He's not getting that in Buffalo.

feldspar
12-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Seahawks fans hate him, much like Niners fans hated Roman.

Because of the call to pass and not run Marshawn at the goal-line in the Super Bowl? If so, I can understand that.

He's still up there with my favorite candidates, though.

As far as Roman is concerned, I'd MUCH rather have him in place of Lynn in this situation...every day, and twice on Sundays. Wonder how 49ers fans feel now...

YardRat
12-31-2016, 03:37 PM
So Coughlin, Lynn, Phillips and Bevell are the only acceptable candidates to consider going after? The only 'serious' guys?

swiper
12-31-2016, 03:46 PM
49ers chased Roman out of town. They were laughing heartily when he got fired from Buffalo.

Roman is not expected to return to the 49ers, who ranked 20th in the NFL in yards per game and 25th in points in 2014. Roman absorbed much of the criticism for the sputtering attack, most memorably from the daughter of general manager Trent Baalke, who said of Roman, via Twitter, “The 49ers don’t want you no more,” after a 19-3 loss to Seattle on Thanksgiving.

It’s not surprising the Jaguars might want Roman, given his connection to Jacksonville general manager David Caldwell. Roman and Caldwell were teammates at John Carroll University in University Heights, Ohio, and lived together when they broke into the NFL with the Panthers in the mid-1990s.

Two years ago, Caldwell acknowledged that he was interested in Roman for Jacksonville’s head-coaching vacancy, but he hired Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley while Roman was unavailable because of the 49ers’ run to the Super Bowl.

Jaguars took Bradley. And that's how that turned out. Roman's good for nothing.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Go-figure-49ers-Roman-hot-candidate-5997808.php

swiper
12-31-2016, 03:47 PM
So Coughlin, Lynn, Phillips and Bevell are the only acceptable candidates to consider going after? The only 'serious' guys?

You really asked us who is most likely to consider the Bills job. Not who's the best or who we wanted.

swiper
12-31-2016, 03:49 PM
You really asked us who is most likely to consider the Bills job. Not who's the best or who we wanted.

And, again, Coughlin's not coming to a place where he has no say in the construction of the roster. No way Phillips returns here. And Bevel, who's been a hot name for a season or two, wouldn't come to such a situation either - there will be better options for him. Especially if Kubiak resigns, as is floating around out there.

feldspar
12-31-2016, 03:54 PM
. Roman's good for nothing.

I still like him better than Lynn.

That says something.

kingJofNYC
12-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Only serious candidates are the ones that will keep the status quo in place at OBD.

DynaPaul
12-31-2016, 04:23 PM
I don't want anyone from the Belichick tree so give up on Patricia and McDaniel. I would love Coughlin if he's willing and that's the only retread coach worth his salt unlike Fisher and the other layoffs.

YardRat
12-31-2016, 04:53 PM

Not really, but I guess I could have worded it better. I was asking what candidates you would consider as 'legitimate' and the team should consider. Maybe 'qualified' would have been better.

For example, most would consider Coughlin to be a 'legit' candidate, and I get the feeling most don't consider Lynn to be 'legit' even though the team will give him serious consideration.

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2016, 04:54 PM
I don't want anyone from the Belichick tree so give up on Patricia and McDaniel. I would love Coughlin if he's willing and that's the only retread coach worth his salt unlike Fisher and the other layoffs.

Why not? As much as it *seriously* pains me to admit it, he's the new Bill Walsh of the modern era. I would take either of them in a NY minute, given they've had to absorb some of the teachings of BB, and that team just keeps on winning, regardless of injuries. Sure, Brady is a giant chunk of that (as evidenced by our win earlier) but still. Thing is, doubt they'd come here to face off against their Yoda.

kgun12
12-31-2016, 05:19 PM
We could interview Kroll, Shula, Walsh and Lombardi and pick any one of them and it would be the wrong pick for many of the folks here. Here's what needs to happen, blow up the entire organization, bring in a TEAM that all have the same vision, have a absolute description of each persons job and let them do it. Something Wilson couldn't do and it sounds like the Pegula's can do either, so as Vinnie said in My Cousin Vinnie, either way your getting fPucked. That's the plight of a Bills fan, accept it or find another team.

OH BTW it wasn't the lines fault!!!

The Beef
12-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Wade isn't going to get may offers.

The ownership and everyone else involved in chasing him out of town is gone.

Wade would take this interview 100 times out of 100.

Mace
12-31-2016, 06:17 PM
Painful question.

Who WOULD come here ? Someone desperate for a bite of the golden apple, like Pettine with Cleveland, someone getting his chance too early, like Lynn, someone who badly needs redeem themselves like Fisher, a relatively obscure coach with minor college achievement like Marrone did.

Who SHOULD want to come here ? Someone who wants money and a bite of the golden apple, oblivious to Whaley as GM, or someone so ego driven they don't think they can fail despite Whaley as GM.

Hiring process ? Deficient by nature. If Rex Ryan jumped out at them over the pack of more competent football people, is there really much chance they'll find a diamond who can work around Whaley ?

Ideally. Ideally it's straightforward, like any hiring process. You interview as many candidates as possible and sort through them on merit for mutual workable plan. But this loops back to hiring process.

If I were the Bills, and I had a clue, I'd want to interview everyone I could for compatible philosophy. Problem there is again Whaley. Near as I can tell his only philosophy is "I'll get the guys I like and hang onto them as long as possible, it's your problem coach if they are bad or brittle, so you have to make them work and get used to it."

Who do I want them to interview ? Everyone they can.

Who do I think they'll interview ? Candidates that make Lynn look good or those with no intention of coming here. Fisher, Coughlin, Kyle Shanahan, Teryl Austin.

Who would I prefer ? Again a HEAD coach guy, even a college HEAD coach guy who can oversee coordinators not be his own. Without doing the interviews I don't even know Reich, who I like, is really all that.

What do I expect ? Lynn and lots of Ryan's staff as holdovers, OC Wildcat Lee, DC Dennis Thurman.

It's an awful lot of words to not say much in terms of opinion, but I'm having trouble mustering the enthusiasm to daydream that we can actually find and accurately select a candidate who wants to be here, can work with/around Whaley, manage his coordinators, manage his managers, and get success out of a shallow roster of aging and brittle guys snug against the cap.

I think this will be the crash and burn guy that leads to organizational overhaul in 2 more years, and I have a feeling most thoughtful candidates will realize they are being Ted Nolan'ed or Ron Rolston'ed for future sacrifice.

sudzy
01-01-2017, 06:27 AM
I believe Pegula might want Coughlin, but, there is no way Whaley would want another strong willed coach. I think Lynn is their guy and they will bring in guys like Frank Reich and Kieth Butler to make it look like a coaching search.

swiper
01-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Schefter saying that Whaley is lining up this stellar cast:

Frank Reich, Anthony Lynn, Harold Goodwin, and Teryl Austin.

Super Bowl here we come.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/815512297397452802 (http://www.wgr550.com/Report-Bills-HC-Job-is-Lynn-s-To-Lose-/22976329)

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/815502798989225984 (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/815502798989225984)

But the claim is the job is "Lynn's to lose."

RB coach to head coach.

Super Bowl.

swiper
01-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Bump for DB :heart:

DynaPaul
01-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Why not? As much as it *seriously* pains me to admit it, he's the new Bill Walsh of the modern era.

Bill Walsh has a known and successful coaching tree. Belichick does not. None of his former coaches have had any sustainable success anywhere. A couple of them have had a season or two where they looked good but beyond that.... nothing but mediocrity at best. In fact this article right (http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/3084/taking-a-look-at-the-belichick-coaching-tree) here says there were a combined 72 - 119.

paladin warrior
01-01-2017, 03:37 PM
wade phillips 👍😃 👍