PDA

View Full Version : Rapoport: Bills Job is Lynn's to Lose, Other Shortlist Candidates

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 07:11 AM
Per his twitter, he reports that from sources the job is Lynn's to lose but the Bills are doing their homework on three other candidates. Harold Goodwin (OC - Arizona), Teryl Austin (DC - Detroit), and Frank Reich (OC - Philadelphia).

sudzy
01-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Schefter is reporting that Gus Bradley will be Lynn DC.

feldspar
01-01-2017, 07:21 AM
How is he going to "lose" the job?

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 07:22 AM
How is going to "lose" the job?

Preforms badly today, blows the interview, does something dumb to embarrass the team/organization, makes a really bad media comment. The options are endless though unlikely.

feldspar
01-01-2017, 07:28 AM
I don't like this, and I mean AT ALL.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2017, 07:31 AM
With Gus Bradley as D.C. I don't mind.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 07:34 AM
With Gus Bradley as D.C. I don't mind.

It certainly makes him a more appealing option. I want to see who he identifies as an OC, personally hoping for Mike McCoy, but he's done a pretty good job getting this offense to produce points.

sudzy
01-01-2017, 07:36 AM
I would think that since he was OC he would promote someone and install his own offense.

HHURRICANE
01-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Just so I have this straight. A guy who's never had a position higher than running backs coach until week 2 of this year is now a lock as a Head Coach here.

Whaley got his *****. Congrats.

Fixxxer
01-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Just so I have this straight. A guy who's never had a position higher than running backs coach until week 2 of this year is now a lock as a Head Coach here.

Whaley got his *****. Congrats.

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach for 20 years before being hired as HC, besides Lynn was named OC and he put a top 10 performance in points scored with Tyrod Taylor as his QB, and with a system that wasn't his, that's tells me his ego won't be a problem. That is quite a feat, IMO.

sudzy
01-01-2017, 07:44 AM
My problem is:

George Edwards 2011: 3-4
Dave Wannstedt 2012: 4-3
Mike Pettine 2013: 3-4
Jim Schwartz 2014: 4-3
Dennis Thurman 2015- 2016: 3-4
Gus Bradley 2017?: 4-3
We spend more time junking the last defense then we do building the next defense.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 07:48 AM
More details on Lynn being the odd-on favorite.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/anthony-lynn-a-virtual-lock-to-be-named-bills-coach-on-a-permanent-basis/

Also interesting to note that Whaley apparently has close ties with Austin in Detroit.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 07:49 AM
My problem is:

We spend more time junking the last defense then we do building the next defense.

I think we're already pretty well set up for a Bradley style 4-3.

DE - Lawson
DT - K. Williams/Dareus
LEO - Hughes
WLB - ???
MLB - Ragland
SLB - P. Brown

You add a starter at WLB and some depth and you've got a pretty solid front seven.

Fixxxer
01-01-2017, 07:52 AM
I think we're already pretty well set up for a Bradley style 4-3.

DE - Lawson
DT - K. Williams/Dareus
LEO - Hughes
WLB - ???
MLB - Ragland
SLB - P. Brown

You add a starter at WLB and some depth and you've got a pretty solid front seven.

we shouldn't have a problem re-signing Zach Brown.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Not sure they would want him. Bradley seems to have preferred size LB's who can run in Seattle and Jacksonville. Brown doesn't exactly fit that mold. He could be a guy they bring back but I'm not sure.

WagonCircler
01-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Reports are that the team will change it's name to the Buffalo Rooneys.

The Jokeman
01-01-2017, 08:03 AM
It's worth noting that Goodwin was with the Steelers at same time as Whaley. Hopefully Doug is giving an old friend a token interview and nothing more.

coastal
01-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Reports are that the team will change it's name to the Buffalo Rooneys.

Frank Reich being the token white interview...

Night Train
01-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Crickets make noise in the stadium but don't purchase tickets.

Owen DeBoard
01-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Zach Brown is a better all around LB than Preston Brown. Zach Brown is better in coverage and a better tackler.

DetDannyWilliams
01-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Bills hire Reich, Bills draft Kelly's Nephew, Jim Kelly comes back as QB coach

sudzy
01-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Not sure they would want him. Bradley seems to have preferred size LB's who can run in Seattle and Jacksonville. Brown doesn't exactly fit that mold. He could be a guy they bring back but I'm not sure.

I have to question how much of a fit Ragland would be in this defense. I remember hearing on draft day he was dropping because he wasn't a good fit for a lot of NFL defenses. Another draw back of changing defenses ever year.

- - - Updated - - -

Bills hire Reich, Bills draft Kelly's Nephew, Jim Kelly comes back as QB coach

Russ Brandon approves this. It would sell tickets.

GingerP
01-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Reportedly, Denver likes Lynn. He played with Elway and started his coaching career there. What would they do if he decides to go to Denver?

sudzy
01-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Reportedly, Denver likes Lynn. He played with Elway and started his coaching career there. What would they do if he decides to go to Denver?

Just move on to the next guy on the B-list that is OK with not being in the meeting about who the starting QB is.

DetDannyWilliams
01-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Denver Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak is likely to step down from his current position after two seasons with the team, ESPN.com (http://espn.com/)'s Adam Schefter reports (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18386784/denver-broncos-coach-gary-kubiak-likely-stepping-down).

According to the report, Kubiak's family is concerned about his health, as he has had several incidents in the past few years to cause him to miss games.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-broncos-head-coach-gary-kubiak-likely-to-step-down/ar-BBxM6Dq?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

paladin warrior
01-01-2017, 03:16 PM
My problem is:

We spend more time junking the last defense then we do building the next defense. I would like bring back Defense coach Mike Pettine

sudzy
01-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Well if today didn't lose it, I don't know what would have.

feldspar
01-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Lynn nor Cardale are in our future formula for success. Best to get a taste now, before the taste becomes much more bitter.

They should go with Lynn if they wanna tank, though IMO

sudzy
01-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Seriously, if Lynn is offered the head coaching job and a OC job elsewhere, he should take the OC job. The Bills did him NO favors this week. They threw him to the wolves at the press conference. Then force him to audition today with EJ "freaking train wreak" at QB. Get as far away from this dumpster fire as you can.

Historian
01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Frank Reich being the token white interview...

I can see Brandon licking his chops at that one....

Mr. Pink
01-02-2017, 02:00 PM
So Wrecks suggested Lynn for interim. The organization went with it. And now it's his job to lose?

So basically, why did they even bother firing Wrecks when nothing is going to change?

YardRat
01-02-2017, 02:13 PM
DC McDermott from Carolina added to list of requests sent out per Schefter.

Forward_Lateral
01-02-2017, 04:35 PM
If this team hires Lynn, it will continue to be a complete joke.

Bill Cody
01-02-2017, 04:42 PM
My top 4 candidates would be Josh McDaniels, Todd Haley, Kyle Shanahan and Tom Coughlin. But my first step would be to fire Whaley.

X-Era
01-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Add McDermott and Vance to the list.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-02-2017, 04:55 PM
My top 4 candidates would be Josh McDaniels, Todd Haley, Kyle Shanahan and Tom Coughlin. But my first step would be to fire Whaley.

Coughlin maybe, McDaniels perhaps, the other two hell no

Mace
01-02-2017, 05:46 PM
DC McDermott from Carolina added to list of requests sent out per Schefter.

Was pleased to at least see them give him lip service.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 06:48 PM

I don't want anything to do with any of those. McDaniels is nothing outside of NE. Haley strikes me as a really good coordinator/never head coach guy. Kyle will bring the baggage of his Dad, no thanks. Coughlin I might grudgingly accept, but his coordinators better be top notch and one of 'em better be a good fit to be groomed to take over after a couple of years.

Mace
01-02-2017, 07:07 PM
I have to question how much of a fit Ragland would be in this defense. I remember hearing on draft day he was dropping because he wasn't a good fit for a lot of NFL defenses. Another draw back of changing defenses ever year.

It's a good point. I like Ragland, think he'll be one of the best linebackers this team has seen in a long time. But he's a middle LB tank, if more nimble than given credit for. Kiko Alonso is more Kuechly-ish than he is though, I think of Ragland as more Ray Lewis like (without the fury).

But you have to figure some DC's can adapt scheme to talent.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2017, 07:12 PM
It's a good point. I like Ragland, think he'll be one of the best linebackers this team has seen in a long time. But he's a middle LB tank, if more nimble than given credit for. Kiko Alonso is more Kuechly-ish than he is though, I think of Ragland as more Ray Lewis like (without the fury).

But you have to figure some DC's can adapt scheme to talent.

or murder

Cleve
01-02-2017, 09:43 PM
The astonishing thing about Lynn - Terry Pegula said that Ryan recommended Lynn to replace him. The fired HC anoints one of his direct reports, who he brought here from the Jets, as Head Coach, and apparently without Doug Whaley's involvement at all in that decision either. LOL

Doesn't it seem bizarre for Pegula, who was apparently very dissatisfied with Ryan as coach, to ask for Ryan's advice on the Bills' next HC? Without even consulting his own GM??? Madness!!! lol

stuckincincy
01-02-2017, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=sudzy;4288507]I have to question how much of a fit Ragland would be in this defense. I remember hearing on draft day he was dropping because he wasn't a good fit for a lot of NFL defenses. Another draw back of changing defenses ever year.

Russ Brandon approves this. It would sell tickets.[/][QUOTE]

A scouting report:

"STRENGTHS: Demonstrates the blend of size, aggression, instincts and reliable open-field tackling skills to project well inside to 4-3 and 3-4 principles, alike. Takes accurate first steps and shows excellent closing burst to arrive with pop at the point of attack.

Works off blocks well with balance and anticipation, looking through blockers to keep his eyes on the prize, doing a much better job downhill rather than in reverse. Physical striker with reliable breakdown skills in the open field, wrapping, driving and finishing. Dirtiest jersey on the field and plays each snap like it is his last.

WEAKNESSES: Overaggressive pursuit angles and needs to better throttle down in space to break down at the contact point. Hyper-focused run defender and will leave his eyes in the backfield too long at times, causing him to be late in coverage. Needs to widen his vision to protect from cut blocks, pick up crossers and better recognize routes. Out-matched trying to stick with slot receivers down the field in coverage. Violent play style leads to durability questions.

IN OUR VIEW: He isn't as talented as C.J. Mosley, but he's a better NFL prospect than Trey DePriest, falling somewhere in the middle of those two former Alabama players.

--Dane Brugler and Rob Rang (2/13/16)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000915/reggie-ragland