PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Lynn Coaching Connections

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 10:31 AM
I think we all believe, or assume, that Lynn will be the next Bills Head Coach. Whether we all like that or not is a debate for a different day. In light of the news that Lynn will apparently hire Gus Bradley as his DC I wanted to take a look at Lynn's coaching history to see if there were any connections that would make sense as an OC or assistant coach.

Lynn previously served as the following:
Denver Broncos - ST Coach - 2000-2002
Jacksonville Jaguars - RB Coach - 2003-2004
Dallas Cowboys - RB Coach - 2005-2006
Cleveland Browns - RB Coach - 2007-2008
New York Jets - RB Coach - 2009-2014

Looking at the offensive staffs through all of these stops, here are the names that stand out, there current position, team, and age:
Bobby Turner - RB Coach - Falcons - 67 Years Old
Karl Dorrell - WR Coach - Jets - 53 Years Old
Brian Pariani - TE Coach - Broncos - 51 Years Old
Alfredo Rodriguez - TE Coach - Indianapolis - 51 Years Old
Bill Musgrave - OC - Oakland - 49 Years Old
Todd Haley - OC - Pittsburgh - 49 Years Old
Tony Sparano - OL Coach - Minnesota - 55 Years Old
Rob Chudzinski - OC - Indianapolis - 48 Years Old
Steve Marhsall - OL Coach - NY Jets - 60 Years Old

Obviously the names of Musgrave and Haley stick out, but to get either of them the Bills will need to off the OC job and an Asst HC position. If it was me, I'd make that offer to Musgrave asap. Another name to consider at OC is Chudzinski. There was a report this morning that Jim Irsay may clean house in Indy and that would be Chudzinski would be a free agent.

Beyond that I think you could see Lynn make a move for Alfredo Rodriguez and Tony Sparano as assistant coaches for the TE and OL. Rodriguez worked with Lynn in two spots (Jacksonville and Cleveland) so there is some familiarity there. Rodriguez would also make some sense if Chud was named OC. Sparano is well regarded as an OL coach and is familiar to Lynn, this one may be more of a hope than a probability though.

At the end of the day, we all hope that Lynn lets his new OC decide on the staff, but there are some connections out there that could be interesting choices as we move forward.

YardRat
01-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Considering Sparano's kid (TE's) is already here, brought over with the rest of the Jet Stank, getting the old man to coach oline may not be that much of a stretch.

YardRat
01-01-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't think Musgrave or Haley will make what is essentially a lateral move, even if the AHC title is attached.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 10:54 AM
I don't think Musgrave or Haley will make what is essentially a lateral move, even if the AHC title is attached.

Probably not. Would be a huge coup if he could pull it off.

The Jokeman
01-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Didn't we make a play on Sparano when we got Rex/Roman?

Mace
01-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Didn't we make a play on Sparano when we got Rex/Roman?

No, we have his kid, Ryan fired the elder Sparano in NY as oc.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Yep and I'd want no part of him as an OC, however as an OL coach? Sign me up.

Mace
01-01-2017, 08:32 PM
FYI ....assistant HC is a sweetener to available guys. The only distinction the NFL makes in regard to team permission is HC and assistant (aHC falls into assistant), so they don't even have to give permission for Haley and Musgrave.

The Jokeman
01-01-2017, 08:36 PM
My bad I was thinking of Mike Solari http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/17103/source-bills-hire-aaron-kromer-as-offensive-line-coach

Mace
01-01-2017, 08:40 PM
My bad I was thinking of Mike Solari http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/17103/source-bills-hire-aaron-kromer-as-offensive-line-coach

I wanted Solari here bad.

Ed
01-01-2017, 08:46 PM
I would agree too. If either of those guys want to be a HC again they're way better off staying in their current roles and going to the playoffs with franchise QBs then coming to a pretty questionable situation in Buffalo.

Mace
01-01-2017, 08:57 PM
If they hire Lynn and he sticks with his offensive staff, I'll have a fit.

The Jokeman
01-01-2017, 09:01 PM
If they hire Lynn and he sticks with his offensive staff, I'll have a fit.

You and 99% of this board but honestly today's game doesn't encourage me in Lynn's abilities.

Mace
01-01-2017, 09:02 PM
You and 99% of this board but honestly today's game doesn't encourage me in Lynn's abilities.

I think he needs to be an OC for a while, myself.

DraftBoy
01-01-2017, 09:05 PM

I don't think today's game is a fair way to evaluate Lynn considering he was mandated to play a specific QB and had only five days of prep time.

stuckincincy
01-01-2017, 11:42 PM

In his NFL career before BUF, he got re-hired by DEN as ST coach for one additional year, 3 clubs, he was one, 1-year contract and out. 5 years with NYJ, that's good.

It's hard to think that a life-long RB coach can get the whole picture and direct the whole show.

ICRockets
01-02-2017, 12:04 AM
In his NFL career before BUF, he got re-hired by DEN as ST coach for one additional year, 3 clubs, he was one, 1-year contract and out. 5 years with NYJ, that's good.

How are you getting that? NFL seasons aren't measured in double years like other leagues. The entire season takes place within a single year. This was the 2016 NFL season, not the 2016-2017 season, so based on DB's information he had several 2 year stints.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 06:20 AM
I think we all believe, or assume, that Lynn will be the next Bills Head Coach. Whether we all like that or not is a debate for a different day. In light of the news that Lynn will apparently hire Gus Bradley as his DC I wanted to take a look at Lynn's coaching history to see if there were any connections that would make sense as an OC or assistant coach.

Looking at the offensive staffs through all of these stops, here are the names that stand out, there current position, team, and age:
Bobby Turner - RB Coach - Falcons - 67 Years Old
Karl Dorrell - WR Coach - Jets - 53 Years Old
Brian Pariani - TE Coach - Broncos - 51 Years Old
Alfredo Rodriguez - TE Coach - Indianapolis - 51 Years Old
Bill Musgrave - OC - Oakland - 49 Years Old
Todd Haley - OC - Pittsburgh - 49 Years Old
Tony Sparano - OL Coach - Minnesota - 55 Years Old
Rob Chudzinski - OC - Indianapolis - 48 Years Old
Steve Marhsall - OL Coach - NY Jets - 60 Years Old

Obviously the names of Musgrave and Haley stick out, but to get either of them the Bills will need to off the OC job and an Asst HC position. If it was me, I'd make that offer to Musgrave asap. Another name to consider at OC is Chudzinski. There was a report this morning that Jim Irsay may clean house in Indy and that would be Chudzinski would be a free agent.

Beyond that I think you could see Lynn make a move for Alfredo Rodriguez and Tony Sparano as assistant coaches for the TE and OL. Rodriguez worked with Lynn in two spots (Jacksonville and Cleveland) so there is some familiarity there. Rodriguez would also make some sense if Chud was named OC. Sparano is well regarded as an OL coach and is familiar to Lynn, this one may be more of a hope than a probability though.

At the end of the day, we all hope that Lynn lets his new OC decide on the staff, but there are some connections out there that could be interesting choices as we move forward.
Chud seems like he could be "the guy" if Lynn uses his connections. I wouldn't be opposed to it as he does like to use the TE a lot in his offense and Clay shows when he's targeted he can be above average. Of course I'd like to see us add another TE in the draft but with Jake Butt getting hurt in his bowl game there are less options available.

swiper
01-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Haley and Musgrave are in great spots with QBs and are going nowhere soon. Certainly not to a Bills team with a tom of dysfunction and no QB.

On the list of terrible coaches I want nowhere near Buffalo you can put Chudzinski & Sparano.

Specifically, Chudzinski's ineptness is underscored by his lousy Indianapolis offense. That team is one good OC away from a lot of success.

DraftBoy
01-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Haley and Musgrave are in great spots with QBs and are going nowhere soon. Certainly not to a Bills team with a tom of dysfunction and no QB.

On the list of terrible coaches I want nowhere near Buffalo you can put Chudzinski & Sparano.

Specifically, Chudzinski's ineptness is underscored by his lousy Indianapolis offense. That team is one good OC away from a lot of success.

Colts offense was hardly the problem this year, 8th in points, 10th in total yards, 6th in passing yards, and 23rd in rushing yards. They couldn't keep Andrew Luck upright and had issues getting holes open consistently for Gore.

kgun12
01-02-2017, 10:32 AM

FYI Todd Haley and Anthony Lynn as very close friends ("brother's for life") since Lynn's accident.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/26809/anthony-lynn-todd-haley-brothers-for-life-after-lynn-dodged-death

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 11:24 AM
FYI Todd Haley and Anthony Lynn as very close friends ("brother's for life") since Lynn's accident.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/26809/anthony-lynn-todd-haley-brothers-for-life-after-lynn-dodged-death

Haley to HC and Lynn back as OC and Bradley as DC.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Colts offense was hardly the problem this year, 8th in points, 10th in total yards, 6th in passing yards, and 23rd in rushing yards. They couldn't keep Andrew Luck upright and had issues getting holes open consistently for Gore.

Somebody said on NFLN that actually the improvement in the offensive line (allegedly Luck was the least sacked QB over the last 11 weeks of the season) was a feather the GM could put in his cap when discussing the future (and current progress) of the team with Irsay.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Yeah, but I still don't see him making the move, especially when he's going to get his own kicks at the HC can again.

I would be OK with HC Lynn, DC Bradley, and OC/AsstHC Haley, though.

mdcas22
01-02-2017, 05:10 PM
I wanted Solari here bad.

mdcas22
01-02-2017, 05:11 PM

he was the o-cord in 2012 for the Jets

Night Train
01-02-2017, 05:15 PM

Agreed. OL was the worst and Gore looks to be 50 years old.

Can't believe they can never get that D and OL straight...for years ! Wasting their talented QB.

Night Train
01-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but I still don't see him making the move, especially when he's going to get his own kicks at the HC can again.

I would be OK with HC Lynn, DC Bradley, and OC/AsstHC Haley, though.

But is it realistic ?

Seems Lynn is being shoved down our throats with the supposed idea that friend Gus Bradley will play the role of Lazarus and bring our D back from the dead.

Sorry if I'm VERY skeptical. Almost a sales job Whaley and Russ Brandon cooked up, yet again. So convenient.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 06:25 PM
But is it realistic ?

Seems Lynn is being shoved down our throats with the supposed idea that friend Gus Bradley will play the role of Lazarus and bring our D back from the dead.

Sorry if I'm VERY skeptical. Almost a sales job Whaley and Russ Brandon cooked up, yet again. So convenient.

I've already stated I don't expect Haley to make the move, so we would probably agree that it isn't too realistic.

If Whaley and Brandon 'cooked up' Bradley coming here to DC and he does, then kudos to them. It's a good idea.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Agreed. OL was the worst and Gore looks to be 50 years old.

Can't believe they can never get that D and OL straight...for years ! Wasting their talented QB.

But if you listen to some here a franchise QB like Luck will fix everything.

stuckincincy
01-02-2017, 11:10 PM
How are you getting that? NFL seasons aren't measured in double years like other leagues. The entire season takes place within a single year. This was the 2016 NFL season, not the 2016-2017 season, so based on DB's information he had several 2 year stints.

Ok then - three consecutive two-year stints and out.

Taking the charitable view, he had a year in a gig, was given another, but was finally found lacking.