Jerry Sullivan: Doug Whaley's team a no-show in finale

Speaks for itself.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/01/jerry-sullivan-whaleys-team-no-show-finale/

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-01-2017, 09:51 PM
yikes is all i have to say.

YardRat
01-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Lynn sat Washington because he was slather-assing the practices this week, and apparently he was asked if he was making an example of the d-lineman and the answer was simply 'Yes'.

Mace
01-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Lawson has even disappeared and Seymour doesn't appear to be any better with corrective lenses. Calling Williams the RB "marginal" is being kind. They had no one meaningfully contribute anything from the draft and it isn't like there weren't contributions to be made.

YardRat
01-01-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what this roster can do with some real coaching. Granted, that's huge assumption that they will end up hiring a real coaching staff...

Mace
01-01-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what this roster can do with some real coaching. Granted, that's huge assumption that they will end up hiring a real coaching staff...

I really think this roster is a lot more feeble than people seem to think it is.

stuckincincy
01-01-2017, 11:04 PM
I really think this roster is a lot more feeble than people seem to think it is.

Bingo.

Strongman
01-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Devastating article. A total housecleaning is in order. It's probably going to take a couple years to fix this mess, so the sooner it happens, the better.

Don't saddle the next GM with a coach Whaley hired.

Jimkelly12203
01-01-2017, 11:40 PM
Sully nailed it as usual.

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Did Doug Whaley hack your account?
Seriously, unless they get a QB, they can have a loaded roster & 2017 will be year 18 of the playoff drought.

sudzy
01-02-2017, 01:49 AM
The 2016 draft class was a no show this year. I'm sure that's all Rex's fault, somehow. Because, like Doug told Terry this team has "championship level" talent everywhere. Except QB and OL and DB and WR and the kicking game...Yep, We have championship level talent at RB though.

ckg927
01-02-2017, 05:36 AM
Of course, if Jerry covered the Eagles and wrote the same article, he'd run the risk of being tossed out of the press box for violating the "fan code of conduct".

(That actually happened to an Eagles beat writer at the Philadelphia Inquirer during their game yesterday.)

sudzy
01-02-2017, 06:20 AM
I can't wait for today's press conference. I hope they crucify this front office.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Lawson has even disappeared and Seymour doesn't appear to be any better with corrective lenses. Calling Williams the RB "marginal" is being kind. They had no one meaningfully contribute anything from the draft and it isn't like there weren't contributions to be made.

Washington's numbers weren't off the charts but he did come in as 3rd Round pick and start 15 games. That says something but I also demonstrates expectations of rookies, all too often everyone is looking for an Ezekiel Elliot/Dak Prescott year from rookies but truth be told most rookies aren't impactful as we hope. Just keep this in mind as the draft approaches but I know people are going to expect way too much from a top 10 pick regardless of who he is. Right now it appear it be Jamal Adams is the early favorite but it wouldn't shock me to see a QB slip to us (Mitch Trubisky) which could make things interesting.

coastal
01-02-2017, 06:50 AM
What a lazy article...

swiper
01-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Washington's numbers weren't off the charts but he did come in as 3rd Round pick and start 15 games. That says something but I also demonstrates expectations of rookies, all too often everyone is looking for an Ezekiel Elliot/Dak Prescott year from rookies but truth be told most rookies aren't impactful as we hope. Just keep this in mind as the draft approaches but I know people are going to expect way too much from a top 10 pick regardless of who he is. Right now it appear it be Jamal Adams is the early favorite but it wouldn't shock me to see a QB slip to us (Mitch Trubisky) which could make things interesting.

Him starting 15 games doesn't mean he deserved to start those games. It was more likely Whaley forcing the coaches to do it since his top two draft picks were M.I.A.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 07:03 AM
What a lazy article...

Yeah maybe we can sign Landry Jones as an UFA and then Polian would agree to come back as he stated he wouldn't return to Buffalo without a QB in place and he did call Jones the best QB in his class.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Him starting 15 games doesn't mean he deserved to start those games. It was more likely Whaley forcing the coaches to do it since his top two draft picks were M.I.A.

Right like Whaley or any GM could have predicted that Ragland would have a season ending injury in the preseason.

sudzy
01-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Right like Whaley or any GM could have predicted that Ragland would have a season ending injury in the preseason.

So players being injured can be use against the head coach, but, not the GM? Guess it depends on which camp your in.

swiper
01-02-2017, 07:15 AM
So players being injured can be use against the head coach, but, not the GM? Guess it depends on which camp your in.

Exactly. But the fact is injuries happen. Another fact is that is ONE guy from the last draft. NONE of the draft helped the Bills one iota this season. THAT is GM failure.

sudzy
01-02-2017, 07:18 AM
The big thing about last year for me was he drafted Lawson in the 1st, who was already injured and Whaley either didn't know or lied about it.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 07:26 AM
The big thing about last year for me was he drafted Lawson in the 1st, who was already injured and Whaley either didn't know or lied about it.

Look at the big picture and the players drafted after Lawson in Round 1, can we honestly say any of them would have made a significant impact? Maybe Fuller but even so he only a handful of good games this year.

1 20 20 Darron Lee Jets LB Ohio State
1 21 21 Will Fuller Texans WR Notre Dame
1 22 22 Josh Doctson Redskins WR Texas Christian
1 23 23 Laquon Treadwell Vikings WR Mississippi
1 24 24 William Jackson III Bengals DB Houston
1 25 25 Artie Burns Steelers DB Miami (FL)
1 26 26 Paxton Lynch Broncos QB Memphis
1 27 27 Kenny Clark Packers DT UCLA
1 28 28 Joshua Garnett 49ers G Stanford
1 29 29 Robert Nkemdiche Cardinals DT Mississippi
1 30 30 Vernon Butler Panthers DT Louisiana Tech
1 31 31 Germain Ifedi Seahawks G Texas A&M

TacklingDummy
01-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Look at the big picture and the players drafted after Lawson in Round 1, can we honestly say any of them would have made a significant impact? Maybe Fuller but even so he only a handful of good games this year.

Yeah it's not like the Marvell Dareus or Sammy Watkins picks where almost every player drafted after them were better selections.

sudzy
01-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Yeah it's not like the Marvell Dareus or Sammy Watkins picks where almost every player drafted after them were better selections.

Marcell was Whaley's fault. But, Sammy sure the hell was.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Did Doug Whaley hack your account?
Seriously, unless they get a QB, they can have a loaded roster & 2017 will be year 18 of the playoff drought.

No, and I'm not saying Whaley has done a tremendous job stacking the roster with All-Pro talent
Yes, they need a QB.
Yes, they could miss the playoffs again in 2017.

I still like the front seven on D, especially if we get away from the train wreck scheme the previous coach brought with him.
They need serious help at safety, and if Gilmore walks CB also.
The oline isn't that bad. Pretty good at run-blocking actually, and half of their problems in pass-pro can probably be attributed to a QB that can't/won't throw the ball.
If they keep Woods, they are solid at WR. Clay and O'Leary are decent at TE, another body there would be nice. RB is OK, bring in a vet pounder to mix it up with Shady/Gillie.

The talent isn't great top to bottom, but it's good enough to get to the playoffs. Hell, eliminate the lack of preparation, the lack of discipline, the ****ty defensive scheme and the plethora of in-game mistakes made by the coaching staff and this team probably makes the dance this year.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 07:39 AM

It's making sure people are looking at the bigger picture as it's easy to say Shaq was a horrible pick but let's look at what it could have been instead. I'm giving Whaley a chance to prove himself in 2017 but if he fails I'll be one of the first to criticize him if we fail to show progression.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 07:41 AM
We all know damn well Lawson was the guy Wrecks wanted.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 07:47 AM
We all know damn well Lawson was the guy Wrecks wanted.

and he was the guy most Bills fans wanted (I include myself in this) oh wait no some wanted Myles Jack and lord knows he was great in Jacksonville....

sudzy
01-02-2017, 07:58 AM

OK so there was no one else there. Still doesn't change the fact Whaley looked like a fool when he refused to admit there was a shoulder issue when there was a shoulder issue. Either he didn't know or he lied.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 08:02 AM
and he was the guy most Bills fans wanted (I include myself in this) oh wait no some wanted Myles Jack and lord knows he was great in Jacksonville....

Yeah, he was on my list as well. So was Ragland.

ckg927
01-02-2017, 10:14 AM
I can't wait for today's press conference. I hope they crucify this front office.

And we may see it unfold in real time on Twitter, to boot!

Victor7
01-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Sully on point as usual. The man is total douche but when he's right you hand it to him. How many more articles from the Buffalo press and even some from the national media are we gonna see condemning Whaley before Pegula realizes he's the team's biggest issue ??

WagonCircler
01-02-2017, 10:56 AM
No, and I'm not saying Whaley has done a tremendous job stacking the roster with All-Pro talent.

Riiiiigggghhhhhttttt.

Except, you know, in every one of your posts.

Turf
01-02-2017, 12:24 PM

When is it?

YardRat
01-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Riiiiigggghhhhhttttt.

Except, you know, in every one of your posts.

Recognizing Wrecks and his staff as the biggest problem the last two seasons does not = a fanboy of Whaley.

Mace
01-02-2017, 05:14 PM

He was benched for loafing in practice after coming out of college with a rep as not the most motivated guy. What starting 15 games says, is that he started 15 games, nothing else.

I'll say what I said in a different thread, this draft produced no meaningful contributors on a team that had contributions to be made.

Impact is relative. Not every player is an all pro. You build most of your roster with players who aren't. But you need players who contribute. Darby even fell off this year.

That leaves Preston Brown and John Miller as meaningful starting contributors. That's 2 of 20 players Whaley has drafted. That's woeful.

Arm of Harm
01-02-2017, 06:12 PM
He was benched for loafing in practice after coming out of college with a rep as not the most motivated guy. What starting 15 games says, is that he started 15 games, nothing else.

I'll say what I said in a different thread, this draft produced no meaningful contributors on a team that had contributions to be made.

Impact is relative. Not every player is an all pro. You build most of your roster with players who aren't. But you need players who contribute. Darby even fell off this year.

That leaves Preston Brown and John Miller as meaningful starting contributors. That's 2 of 20 players Whaley has drafted. That's woeful.

Obviously, drafting players is not Whaley's strong suit. Any time you have the fewest drafted players out of any team in the league, you don't heap roses on your GM for his drafting ability. And it's not like Whaley is using quality to compensate for lack of quantity. A star QB, for example, would be worth several good players at other positions. But Whaley didn't draft a star QB, and the one first round QB he did draft is a bust.

It is impossible to defend Whaley on the basis of his drafts. Any defense of Whaley must be on the basis of his player trades and free agent signings, and on that basis alone.

DesertFox24
01-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Lol bashing a third round rookie a fifth round rookie and a sixth round rookie. This is hysterical. You can make a case for Lawson disappearing and the shoulder injury other than that why bash guys that other teams looked over three to six times.

DesertFox24
01-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I was big fan of doctson and we need WRs. That said when you have a def coach they want def players all the time. We need to stop trying and beat the pats and just win the 14 other games. Meaning we need a qb and scoring points

Mace
01-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Lol bashing a third round rookie a fifth round rookie and a sixth round rookie. This is hysterical. You can make a case for Lawson disappearing and the shoulder injury other than that why bash guys that other teams looked over three to six times.

Because those teams found better ones. How hysterical is it that we have 2 guys contributing out of 20 picks on a team with obvious holes ?

Did you notice James Cowser when we played the Raiders ? On a team with Khalil Mack, they drafted Jihad Ward, and took Cowser as a UDFA. That's on the Raiders, pretty talented team.

Did you notice Dallas with a 4th round pick leading them to a 13-3 record ?

7th round safety Kearse getting snaps in Zimmer's Vikings D ? 7th round CB Jalen Mills on the field for Schwartz in Philly ? 5th round tackle Joe Haeg starting for Indy ? 6th round DT Anthony Zettel sacking Eli Manning for Detroit maybe ?

Yeah, it's pretty hysterical. I don't have a clue what you're thinking in defending 18 of 20 picks who haven't dependably contributed anything over a few years. The draft isn't that much of a crazy needle in a haystack thing like you seem to think.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 07:27 PM
If I were in charge of the War Room, Ward, Kearse and Prescott would be wearing blue and red.

Mace
01-02-2017, 07:35 PM
If I were in charge of the War Room, Ward, Kearse and Prescott would be wearing blue and red.

You and me both, and Cowser would be rotating in.

This thing about the Bills not scouting underclassmen just stays in my head as ridiculous. Last year's core player depth and this year's frosting depth are almost a textbook exercise in planning and team building.

DesertFox24
01-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Because those teams found better ones. How hysterical is it that we have 2 guys contributing out of 20 picks on a team with obvious holes ?

Did you notice James Cowser when we played the Raiders ? On a team with Khalil Mack, they drafted Jihad Ward, and took Cowser as a UDFA. That's on the Raiders, pretty talented team.

7th round safety Kearse getting snaps in Zimmer's Vikings D ? 7th round CB Jalen Mills on the field for Schwartz in Philly ? 5th round tackle Joe Haeg starting for Indy ? 6th round DT Anthony Zettel sacking Eli Manning for Detroit maybe ?

Yeah, it's pretty hysterical. I don't have a clue what you're thinking in defending 18 of 20 picks who haven't dependably contributed anything over a few years. The draft isn't that much of a crazy needle in a haystack thing like you seem to think.

LOL yeah there were a lot better players in round 3 and later. What a joke.

I will agree trading a first for sammy and drafting a guy with a known shoulder issue and then saying it is not a problem is cause for criticism but Whaley has hit on some really good players in the later rounds.

Call a spade a spade.

Hey I am mad as well but until you take a step back and look at things from an outside perspective and look at the other teams you really cannot objectively offer an opinion here.

DesertFox24
01-03-2017, 12:38 AM

You named a few guys which happens every year man. Plus some of those guys did not fit rex scheme so you have to take into account scheme fit as well.

Heck I wish Whaley was 100 percent every draft as well, but guess what it does not happen and never will happen. THe pats do not draft very well, the packers have consistent misses as well.

This is just insane and ridiculous you are mad because four late round rookies did nothing in their rookie year.

You sir are nothing more than a troll get a life and grow the F up man.