PDA

View Full Version : RE: Kyle Williams

Ingtar33
01-02-2017, 03:54 AM
So big Kyle, said he'd retire if we're blowing things up and starting over.

This reminds me of Schobel. It took 'till we traded for Hughes and signed Mario Williams to replace good old Aaron. With Darius basically struggling to lift his wallet, I can't imagine how many years we'll need to search for someone to replace Kyle.

Strap in, 20y without playoffs is looking like a reality. (listen, Kyle is not going to get us to the playoffs, but his loss in the locker room and on the dline will be felt for a while.)

So without blowing up the whole thing, let talk about how to fix this mess.

swiper
01-02-2017, 05:30 AM
Kyle Williams has been one of the most under-rated players of all time. Will be sad to see him go.

Jan Reimers
01-02-2017, 05:51 AM
Kyle Williams has been a warrior on the field, and a great teammate in the locker room. But after 17 years of abject failure, we have to blow it up, meaning: Fire Whaley, hire a real GM, make sure Brandon has nothing to do with the football side, and begin a total roster rebuild, starting at QB. I think Lynn will be a really good head coach.

sudzy
01-02-2017, 06:18 AM
Great, We are losing the hard working all around great guy Kyle Williams and keeping the lazy, overpaid, overfed, pot smoking, POS Marcell Dareus.

The Jokeman
01-02-2017, 06:32 AM
So big Kyle, said he'd retire if we're blowing things up and starting over.

This reminds me of Schobel. It took 'till we traded for Hughes and signed Mario Williams to replace good old Aaron. With Darius basically struggling to lift his wallet, I can't imagine how many years we'll need to search for someone to replace Kyle.

Strap in, 20y without playoffs is looking like a reality. (listen, Kyle is not going to get us to the playoffs, but his loss in the locker room and on the dline will be felt for a while.)

So without blowing up the whole thing, let talk about how to fix this mess.
I'd put Schobel and Williams in the same category both were very good players but not great/elite. Similar to the Talleys of the early 90s squads but we haven't seen a Bruce, Thurman or Kelly level player on the roster in a long time unless want to count Mario in his first two seasons.

coastal
01-02-2017, 06:49 AM
Earned every penny he made here... every. single. one.

YardRat
01-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Hire a head coach that cares more about winning football games than making commercials, going to hockey games, going to watch his kid's team play college football, and padding his buddies wallets with the owner's money.

Bring in good coordinators with experience and some level of success that don't run schemes from 5, 10, 40 years ago. Let them bring their position coaches with them.

Remove Brandon from everything that has to do with the game.

Let Taylor hit FA and sign him to a deal that is more representative of his ability and performance. If that can't be done, sign a vet FA or try to pull off a team-friendly trade that doesn't rape us of draft choices. Draft a QB, regardless of the vet situation.

Get a safety. Get an OT. Re-sign some depth players of our own that are hitting FA, fill the holes with other 2/3 level FA's.

Avoid drafting players with injury histories and/or injury question marks.

Playoffs.

EDS
01-02-2017, 11:20 AM
I would not blame Kyle for walking away from this mess.

Not an easy fix for the Bills. Tyrod is probably the best available veteran QB this off season, so losing him, limited as he may be, probably positions the team well for a high pick in the 2018 draft.

justasportsfan
01-02-2017, 11:52 AM
The best bill since the Kelly era. Hes gives his 100%. Awesome leader and teammate. If therr is anyone worthy of the next bills WOF , Kyle is it.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2017, 11:54 AM
The best bill since the Kelly era. Hes gives his 100%. Awesome leader and teammate. If therr is anyone worthy of the next bills WOF , Kyle is it.

Id put Freddy as exhibit 1b with Kyle.

ParanoidAndroid
01-02-2017, 04:50 PM
We have too much talent to blow it up. A top tier safety, a CB that isn't afraid to tackle a RB, and investment in the O-line to keep Tyrod clean and we win 3 more games. We wasted a good year from Shady with our inability to overcome a slow start with a weak passing game and a pathetic run defense. As frustrating as it was to watch Tyrod ignore wide open receivers, he can run an effective offense if we win more often at the LOS.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2017, 04:56 PM
This whole thing has to be blown up if you're not somehow bringing in Romo, Cousins or even Cutler. By bringing any of those guys in you're giving yourself a window to be good enough to make the playoffs. Romo or Cutler is likely only a 2 year window and if you can build around Cousins maybe it's 5.

If you're bringing back Tyrod or planning on starting a cheaper mediocre QB to replace him, this team will still go around 7-9 and spin their wheels like they've been doing for the major of this century.

The problem is the people in charge are staying the same, those people think this team is close, so they'll go with option 2 I listed and in 3 years we can have this same exact discussion.

Mace
01-02-2017, 04:58 PM
I feel bad for Kyle wasting his career here. On a better team, he'd have have have gained way more honor and attention.

Mace
01-02-2017, 05:04 PM
This whole thing has to be blown up if you're not somehow bringing in Romo, Cousins or even Cutler. By bringing any of those guys in you're giving yourself a window to be good enough to make the playoffs. Romo or Cutler is likely only a 2 year window and if you can build around Cousins maybe it's 5.

If you're bringing back Tyrod or planning on starting a cheaper mediocre QB to replace him, this team will still go around 7-9 and spin their wheels like they've been doing for the major of this century.

The problem is the people in charge are staying the same, those people think this team is close, so they'll go with option 2 I listed and in 3 years we can have this same exact discussion.

Are you assuming the offense changes completely or are you thinking to plug Romo, Cutler, or Cousins into a read option passing game ?

Mr. Pink
01-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Are you assuming the offense changes completely or are you thinking to plug Romo, Cutler, or Cousins into a read option passing game ?

I would assume the offense would be changed to be tailored to their games.

Although Cousins can run a variation of the read option offense as he showed when he had to go in for RGIII his rookie year.

Victor7
01-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Can't blame him. An absolute baller whose talent has been wasted by the ineptitude that permeates from OBD.

I hope we hire a coach with enough credentials to make Kyle wanna stay. We are not in rebuild mode to be completely honest. More of a retool.

mdcas22
01-02-2017, 05:22 PM
It wouldn't be all that bad if he did retire, the Bills would save 8 mil I think on the cap and if I'm not mistaken the Bills run defense hasn't been good since 2012. I think when the dead man was coach we were #1 against the run but Kyle can't stay healthy anymore and it would be best for team if he would retire.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Can't blame him. An absolute baller whose talent has been wasted by the ineptitude that permeates from OBD.

I hope we hire a coach with enough credentials to make Kyle wanna stay. We are not in rebuild mode to be completely honest. More of a retool.

We should be in a rebuild mode. This organization has been in a 17 year retool mode and where has it gotten them?

We're in the situation we are today because no one at OBD has figured out that we need to tear the guts out of this thing and start over.

We have obscene money tied into players who are just flat out garbage...Tyrod, Dareus, Glenn. Into guys who don't fit, Clay and Hughes - who was invisible all year. We're paying a RB an idiotic amount of money in a league where passing is what wins.

If we pick up Tyrod, for some stupid reason, we have 70m dollars tied into just the guys I listed next year. And the better part? All those guys are signed until at least 2020.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Kyle, he could have decided to walk long ago and go elsewhere and I'm sure he's disheartened that he's only gonna make 7m next year. If he wants to win, be a good little soldier, play out your one year and then leave town. Or maybe you get lucky and the organization asks you to restructure. Refuse to do so and maybe they release you so you can go elsewhere to win.

mdcas22
01-02-2017, 05:40 PM
We should be in a rebuild mode. This organization has been in a 17 year retool mode and where has it gotten them?

We're in the situation we are today because no one at OBD has figured out that we need to tear the guts out of this thing and start over.

We have obscene money tied into players who are just flat out garbage...Tyrod, Dareus, Glenn. Into guys who don't fit, Clay and Hughes - who was invisible all year. We're paying a RB an idiotic amount of money in a league where passing is what wins.

If we pick up Tyrod, for some stupid reason, we have 70m dollars tied into just the guys I listed next year. And the better part? All those guys are signed until at least 2020.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Kyle, he could have decided to walk long ago and go elsewhere and I'm sure he's disheartened that he's only gonna make 7m next year. If he wants to win, be a good little soldier, play out your one year and then leave town. Or maybe you get lucky and the organization asks you to restructure. Refuse to do so and maybe they release you so you can go elsewhere to win.

I agree with most of this, over paying Shady, Id trade him even if you only get a 3rd for him, I'd let TT go, Glenns contract I guess because at the time he was the only sure thing at left tackle we had , not so anymore, I'd move him to right tackle and hope we can work out some kind of deal with Kujo more around 5-6 mil, us over paying for Glenn mess's everything else up on the o-line because we over paid for a average guy, only the Bills could screw up a wet dream. Hughes is another guy Id try to move for pick or picks, I'd keep Clay only because we don't really no what we got without a legit passing QB. not to mention we got to fill 23 spots on the roster and you can't fill them with 5 mil players so a lot of those guys are gonna be undrafted kind of players.

Mr. Pink
01-02-2017, 05:54 PM
I agree with most of this, over paying Shady, Id trade him even if you only get a 3rd for him, I'd let TT go, Glenns contract I guess because at the time he was the only sure thing at left tackle we had , not so anymore, I'd move him to right tackle and hope we can work out some kind of deal with Kujo more around 5-6 mil, us over paying for Glenn mess's everything else up on the o-line because we over paid for a average guy, only the Bills could screw up a wet dream. Hughes is another guy Id try to move for pick or picks, I'd keep Clay only because we don't really no what we got without a legit passing QB. not to mention we got to fill 23 spots on the roster and you can't fill them with 5 mil players so a lot of those guys are gonna be undrafted kind of players.

I would try trading all of them away, tbh. And if you can't trade them, for anything, then just release them. Eat the cap hit, oh well. I'd even cut Kyle Williams for that matter, thanks for your service but you're not getting any younger and your ability to stay healthy for 16 games isn't something we can count on anymore. Being 2-14 in this league is no different than 7-9, you just get a better draft pick. Then prior to next year, gut the front office, bring in a new GM and give him complete control of decisions. If that means whoever you brought in to coach now isn't the right guy for him, so be it. Dangling complete control plus having a good pool of resources to build the team in the draft would be an enticing offer to anyone.

Of course, with what I'd do this team would not be a whole hell of a lot of fun to watch next year and they wouldn't win very many games but I'm building for the future and hoping that the guys hired can build a real winner where we think back to this offseason as being the one that finally got this train back on the right track.

Besides the above to me is better than the alternative of the constant retooling and going 7-9 year in, year out.

Arm of Harm
01-02-2017, 06:00 PM
We have too much talent to blow it up. A top tier safety, a CB that isn't afraid to tackle a RB, and investment in the O-line to keep Tyrod clean and we win 3 more games. We wasted a good year from Shady with our inability to overcome a slow start with a weak passing game and a pathetic run defense. As frustrating as it was to watch Tyrod ignore wide open receivers, he can run an effective offense if we win more often at the LOS.

What talent do we have? What players are a) currently playing at a high level right now, and b) will still be playing at a high level three years from now?

Take a guy like Mario Williams. He played very well for us, for a time. But then his play dropped off under Rex Ryan. And it continued to decline after he left the Bills to join the Miami Dolphins. Mario Williams was not really a building block player for us, because his window of good play was too short.

This team has fewer drafted players on the roster than anyone else in the NFL. That alone suggests we might have as few building block players as anyone else. Our talent, such as it is, is based mostly on guys who have short windows. Shady McCoy played outstanding football in 2016, but how outstanding will he be three or four years from now?

People point to the Schwartz defense from a couple years back as evidence of the defensive talent we'd assembled. But of the guys on that defense, how many are still playing at a high level, whether for us or for some other team? A few, perhaps, but not many. And of those few, some, such as Kyle Williams, are nearing retirement.

Bottom line is it's time to rip it all up and start from scratch. Fire Doug Whaley. Fire anyone within the organization who'd recommended Whaley be hired in the first place. If for example Russ Brandon had been in Whaley's corner, then Brandon absolutely, 100% needs to go. Make a clean sweep. Then allow the new general manager to hire his own head coach, without the Pegulas inserting themselves into the process. Tank the season, get the first overall pick, draft a real QB. Build from there.

mdcas22
01-02-2017, 07:34 PM
I would try trading all of them away, tbh. And if you can't trade them, for anything, then just release them. Eat the cap hit, oh well. I'd even cut Kyle Williams for that matter, thanks for your service but you're not getting any younger and your ability to stay healthy for 16 games isn't something we can count on anymore. Being 2-14 in this league is no different than 7-9, you just get a better draft pick. Then prior to next year, gut the front office, bring in a new GM and give him complete control of decisions. If that means whoever you brought in to coach now isn't the right guy for him, so be it. Dangling complete control plus having a good pool of resources to build the team in the draft would be an enticing offer to anyone.

Of course, with what I'd do this team would not be a whole hell of a lot of fun to watch next year and they wouldn't win very many games but I'm building for the future and hoping that the guys hired can build a real winner where we think back to this offseason as being the one that finally got this train back on the right track.

Besides the above to me is better than the alternative of the constant retooling and going 7-9 year in, year out.

I think we could be legit with a QB like Romo or Cutler and bring in younger guys on the D side of the ball. I don't mind young guys making a mistake but when you got a guy like Hughes who duz it every game its time to move on. Ragland Washington and Lawson and Darby we should be building around now, I'd tell Dareus one more screw up and your gone , would have him on the trading block for sure, you could try and resign brown both browns are still very young. Glenn is a big problem on the offense, his contract . also I'd trade shady for anything, you can't pay a runningback 8 mil a year just to get 1100 yards. Gillissee will get you that if he carrys the ball as much as Shady might get you more.