• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdcas22
    the mouth of the south
    • Aug 2015

PEGULIA TELLS WHY HE FIRED REX

Buffalo Fanatics on Instagram: "Terry Pegula clarifies Bills issues in interview with the AP. Must not be a people person to be able to talk in front of media members at podium... - "Pegula says he's disappointed in having to change coaches after only two years, but says he had no other choice to fire Ryan after the Bills defense showed few signs of progress during the season." "Pegula said he made what he called "an executive decision" to fire Ryan during his weekly conference call with the coach and Whaley." ""I was asked a point-blank question and based on the discussions we've been having all year, I felt it was better to tell Rex that we were going in a different direction," Pegula said." "Though Pegula was going to wait to evaluate Ryan's job after the season, he said he probably would've come to the same conclusion now as he did a week ago." ""(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well." "Pegula did acknowledge the Bills placed Lynn in a tough situation, getting only six days to prepare to coach against the Jets, and minus his starting quarterback. With the Bills out of playoff contention, Pegula said the decision was made to bench starter Tyrod Taylor to evaluate backup EJ Manuel and rookie fourth-round pick Cardale Jones." ""Maybe he can win more games than that, I don't know," Pegula said. "But when the other side of the ball's not performing, it's hard to outscore people." "There's no dysfunction. Everybody is on the same page," Pegula said. "We're busy busting our asses." -- Credit: The Bills App #BuffaloBills #BillsFanatics #BillsMafia #OneBuffalo"
    664 likes, 18 comments - thebuffalofanatics on January 2, 2017: "Terry Pegula clarifies Bills issues in interview with the AP. Must not be a people person to be able to talk in front of media members at...".
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: PEGULIA TELLS WHY HE FIRED REX

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

So basically he confirmed the ridiculousness of how the organization is run. Good...
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

Well good for him. Maybe moving forward they can be a little more transparent up front.
        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          So basically he confirmed the ridiculousness of how the organization is run. Good...
          And that Whaley really is as apathetic as he appears.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            And that Whaley really is as apathetic as he appears.
            Yup, but the problems go way beyond Whaley and there is no immediate remedy for those issues.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

He didn't deny he's clueless about sports and that he'll defer to Darcy/Whaley until it bottoms out.

We can interpret it in so many ways.

Sorry if I'm not feeling better after this hot mess today.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mdcas22
                the mouth of the south
                • Aug 2015

Terry Pegula insists “there’s no dysfunction” with the Bills

Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2017, 9:07 PM EST
                Getty Images
                After the Bills threw G.M. Doug Whaley to the wolves, owner Terry Pegula dipped a toe in the water, submitting to a single-reporter interview in an apparent effort to clean up some of the many messes created by Whaley’s extended Q&A.
                Speaking with the Associated Press, via an item with which the Bills were sufficiently happy to paste verbatim on the team’s official website, Pegula insisted that all is well with the franchise.
                “There’s no dysfunction,” Pegula said. “Everybody is on the same page. We’re busy busting our asses.”
                Pegula isn’t busy making himself available to the media at large to explain why the team is doing what it’s doing. Instead, it was Whaley who spoke for ownership but said a whole lot of nothing, creating the impression either that he has no real power or influence or that he was lying in an effort to conceal facts regarding the termination of Rex Ryan’s employment as the team’s coach.
                Pegula explained that he opted to fire Ryan last week after Ryan finally gave in to the temptation to inquire about his status.
                “I was asked a point-blank question and based on the discussions we’ve been having all year, I felt it was better to tell Rex that we were going in a different direction,” Pegula said.
                Pegula made it clear that, even if Rex Ryan hadn’t forced the issue, the change would have been made.
                The owner also tried to explain the inexplicable notion that Whaley didn’t know that the change was coming.
                “[Whaley] had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were,” Pegula said. “But did Doug ever say, ‘Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?’ We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren’t going well.”
                Of course, this means that Pegula never asked Whaley for his opinion on whether Ryan should be fired, which means that Pegula didn’t care to know what Whaley’s opinion was.
                And if the term “dysfunction” means “abnormality or impairment of function,” the notion that an NFL owner would make and implement the decision to fire a head coach without consulting the General Manager is, in relation to how NFL franchises normally operate, clearly and obviously dysfunctional.
                Share this:

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mdcas22 View Post
                  Terry Pegula insists “there’s no dysfunction” with the Bills

Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2017, 9:07 PM EST
                  Getty Images
                  After the Bills threw G.M. Doug Whaley to the wolves, owner Terry Pegula dipped a toe in the water, submitting to a single-reporter interview in an apparent effort to clean up some of the many messes created by Whaley’s extended Q&A.
                  Speaking with the Associated Press, via an item with which the Bills were sufficiently happy to paste verbatim on the team’s official website, Pegula insisted that all is well with the franchise.
                  “There’s no dysfunction,” Pegula said. “Everybody is on the same page. We’re busy busting our asses.”
                  Pegula isn’t busy making himself available to the media at large to explain why the team is doing what it’s doing. Instead, it was Whaley who spoke for ownership but said a whole lot of nothing, creating the impression either that he has no real power or influence or that he was lying in an effort to conceal facts regarding the termination of Rex Ryan’s employment as the team’s coach.
                  Pegula explained that he opted to fire Ryan last week after Ryan finally gave in to the temptation to inquire about his status.
                  “I was asked a point-blank question and based on the discussions we’ve been having all year, I felt it was better to tell Rex that we were going in a different direction,” Pegula said.
                  Pegula made it clear that, even if Rex Ryan hadn’t forced the issue, the change would have been made.
                  The owner also tried to explain the inexplicable notion that Whaley didn’t know that the change was coming.
                  “[Whaley] had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were,” Pegula said. “But did Doug ever say, ‘Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?’ We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren’t going well.”
                  Of course, this means that Pegula never asked Whaley for his opinion on whether Ryan should be fired, which means that Pegula didn’t care to know what Whaley’s opinion was.
                  And if the term “dysfunction” means “abnormality or impairment of function,” the notion that an NFL owner would make and implement the decision to fire a head coach without consulting the General Manager is, in relation to how NFL franchises normally operate, clearly and obviously dysfunctional.
                  Share this:

Wow. The Bills are in worse shape then I thought.

Comment

• Cleve
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    Yup, but the problems go way beyond Whaley and there is no immediate remedy for those issues.
                    And it starts right with Pegula, and the way he runs his teams. He puts old Ralph Wilson Jr. to shame in the meddling owner department. And that's NOT gonna change, because Pegula has clearly taken on a 'bunker mentality' - everything looks great 'in the Pegula bunker' - no problems at all.

Does anyone still think this team will ever be successful with owners like this? Teams that win - they are not run this way!

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• Cleve
                      • Oct 2004

Also, I need to add - Whaley is not a problem. He is a symptom. He won't be fired - he apparently is exactly the sort of rubber-stamping GM that the owners want. They make the 'big decisions' and the GM just follows obediently behind them.

There's no way this team will ever attract quality GM candidates, or quality HC candidates, to come and work in this dysfunctional situation. This was a problem when Ralph Wilson Jr was still owner, and it's now even worse with a younger, more aggressive owner in charge who clearly doesn't need to hear opinions or advice from his GM or coach.

You'll never get a quality football czar like a Polian, or a Parcells, or a Belichick to come to Buffalo and run the team, with a know it all owner who doesn't need advice and will do an end run around the 'czar' at the drop of a hat.

I'm sorry, but the Pegulas have just officially become TERRIBLE owners, as if we couldn't tell from the way both teams they've purchased have declined under their management
                      Last edited by Cleve; 01-02-2017, 09:24 PM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                      per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

It seems that Pegs is beginning to emulate the well-know b'gals loyalty thing - Owner Brown is into his 53rd year of therapy for his DAD GOT FIRED trauma, so nobody gets canned until the contract runs out - players included.

Brandon and Whaley are still golden, boys, so far.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Swiper
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                          He didn't deny he's clueless about sports and that he'll defer to Darcy/Whaley until it bottoms out.

We can interpret it in so many ways.

Sorry if I'm not feeling better after this hot mess today.
                          Well I have to say that you are one of the most diehard fans on this board. You often call out folks that complain or whine when things aren't going just right. It's weird to see you down on the team.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cleve View Post
                            And it starts right with Pegula, and the way he runs his teams. He puts old Ralph Wilson Jr. to shame in the meddling owner department. And that's NOT gonna change, because Pegula has clearly taken on a 'bunker mentality' - everything looks great 'in the Pegula bunker' - no problems at all.

Does anyone still think this team will ever be successful with owners like this? Teams that win - they are not run this way!
                            Agreed, it starts at the top and filters down. My biggest issue is that I'm just not sure where Pegula goes from here. He's getting torn to bits locally, regionally, and nationally and he's smart enough to realize that things can't continue that way. Then again he is a businessman first and the Bills are going to stay profitable no matter what. My secondary issue is that it appears as though the Pegulas want to run this as a traditional business and give people equal access to them which just isn't the way the NFL operates. The GM, Head Coach, and Players shouldn't all have equal access to the ownership but then all be in the dark about what is going on.

In the end I hope that Pegula's business acumen takes over and he realizes he has to adapt. For as much as people want to claim that he stumbled upon fracking that's a false narrative. That's what we have to hope for right now. But he very well could end up being yet another owner that's more concerned about maximizing his investment and profits than he is about truly winning a championship.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                              It seems that Pegs is beginning to emulate the well-know b'gals loyalty thing - Owner Brown is into his 53rd year of therapy for his DAD GOT FIRED trauma, so nobody gets canned until the contract runs out - players included.

Brandon and Whaley are still golden, boys, so far.
                              That's an old school business model that goes a long way towards earning the respect of your workforce in a traditional business setting, but the NFL is anything but a traditional business setting. Being slow to react and adapt will cost you dearly.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X