PDA

View Full Version : The System is Rigged

bob86
01-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Not to sound like a certain politician, but it certainly seems like the whole search thing a just another fraud by the front office. Lynn will get the job after some supposed though search “that left no stone unturned.” Of course, the Bills are not even seeking to talk with the A list coordinators and are instead interviewing coaches no one else is talking to or even heard of. Also, Whaley smuggled into his lame news conference that they are looking for a coach who will be around for 10 or 15 years, which effectively eliminates the 70-year-old Tom Coughlin and any other older coach.

For long time Bills fans, the firing of Rex was a chance for a re-set to get things finally right. Sadly, it is just the same old Bills.

Homegrown
01-03-2017, 09:56 AM
It’s not rigged, the Bills are just woefully incompetent dumb asses ….

Jimkelly12203
01-03-2017, 10:07 AM
They may very well do a thorough search. But they're not going to like what they find (i.e. no one with any credentials would coach this team with this front office). Unfortunately, if Whaley really is running the search for the next HC, he'll be able to spin this any way he wants and keep the Pegulas in the dark about just how bad this job is viewed in league circles.

Some day (hopefully after one more year and not three) Pegula will wake up and come to the realization that he needs to throw big money at a proven GM. Until that day it's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at OBD.

tonyc37
01-03-2017, 04:30 PM
This may be why.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684989-insider-buzz-coaches-around-nfl-unimpressed-with-bills-ownership

YardRat
01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Pretty sure if one is anything more than just a casual fan they most certainly have heard of the guys on both of these lists...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/236097-Buffalo-Bills-HC-Tracker

Turf
01-03-2017, 05:20 PM
You just made me realize that it won't be Coughlin because Whaley would be hiring his replacement. So it appears we're doomed with this autistic twit running the show.

SpikedLemonade
01-03-2017, 05:54 PM
You just made me realize that it won't be Coughlin because Whaley would be hiring his replacement. So it appears we're doomed with this autistic twit running the show.

Murray is running the Sabres and Bills now?

Historian
01-04-2017, 05:41 AM
they are looking for a coach who will be around for 10 or 15 years, which effectively eliminates the 70-year-old Tom Coughlin and any other older coach.

If you believe that, as well as understand that most of the decisions at 1BD are made from a marketing point of view....then the only logical choice for the Bills is Frank Reich.

All of his ex-teammates in the area immediately become "consultants". (Talley, Jimbo, Thurm)

He is well liked in NFL circles.

He is beloved in WNY.

He immediately gets a free pass with the press.

He is a good soldier on any team. (Remember, he was drafted after Kelly refused to come here, then stepped aside when Jim finally did)

He is a student of the game.

I think he's the only choice that stops the potential season ticket bleed. My money is on Frank, and I can't say that I would be terribly displeased. Just not sure if he's ready to run the whole show.

swiper
01-04-2017, 05:50 AM
This may be why.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684989-insider-buzz-coaches-around-nfl-unimpressed-with-bills-ownership

This. All eyes are on the Pegulas and their awkward handling of things this past week.

They are not exactly endearing themselves to any potential candidate. Perception usurps reality at times like this. And they have created quite a negative perception of things with the Buffalo Bills.

YardRat
01-04-2017, 06:03 AM
If they hire Frank Reich---

1) He absolutely needs to be able to bring the best coordinators available.
2) Brandon is still poking his nose in places it doesn't belong.
3) coastal's thread on Whaley may have to be re-visited.

Historian
01-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Also, think about this:

Reich is the anti-Ryan.

He is cultured, and well educated. (Recently ordained)

His words are measured, and he gets along with everyone. This is more than just a coaching hire...they need someone who can get along with Whaley.

Ryan could not help himself sometimes, as far as shooting from the hip. A true blowhard in every sense of the word.

I honestly think that when the Pegulas sit down with Reich, they will understand that he is more than a coach. He's a leader in every sense of the word.

Might even be able to fix Tyrod.

My guess is that they want to get as far away from the stench of Ryan as possible.

And Brandon is just licking his chops at all of the Reich jerseys he's going to sell!

DraftBoy
01-04-2017, 06:30 AM
If they hire Frank Reich---

1) He absolutely needs to be able to bring the best coordinators available.
2) Brandon is still poking his nose in places it doesn't belong.
3) coastal's thread on Whaley may have to be re-visited.

I'll add that if they bring in Reich then he needs to answer what exactly happened in San Diego and Philly with the QB regression as well.

bob86
01-04-2017, 07:34 AM
There is an old Polish saying that roughly translates into “sooner or later even a fool will get lucky” and that maybe the case with the Bills and Frank Reich. Not only is he a good coach, good guy and a good leader but he does present an unlimited marketing opportunity for Russ. He certainly is not the most qualified or sought after coach out there but he would be a great fit for the Bills. Clearly in order to be successful he would have to put a staff together that overcomes his coaching shortcomings but he does have the connections and he will have the resources to get that done.

Having said that, the Bills being the Bills, it likely won’t happen.

sukie
01-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Lynn will ultimately get the job, HOWEVER... There will be a few white guys trotted in to fulfill the new "Whaley Rule".

HHURRICANE
01-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Reich was my favorite Bill. Not joking. He's not going to be a good HC here.

Historian
01-04-2017, 08:00 AM
I can't tell you who his coordinators would be, (although if it's me, I'm taking a long look at Wade as DC) although I can feel a natural fit at OL Coach would be none other than Pete Metzelaars.

CoolBreeze
01-04-2017, 08:49 AM
The best leaders are great at delegating. Many former Bills have stated Marv Levy's greatest attributes were humility, consensus building and the ability to delegate. Not really the best position coach or coordinator. https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-long-wondrous-life-of-marv-levy

I think of all the candidates out there Frank Reich best exemplifies these traits.

Historian
01-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Agreed...especially on the humility part. It's all a part of his deep religious faith I believe.

Keep in mind, they are not just looking for the right coach, they're looking for the right fit.

Even the alumni are questioning what is going on at 1BD right now, that's a terrible sign.

I could picture Jimbo whispering in Kim's ear, "You may want to take a long hard look at Reich, his work ethic, etc."

CoolBreeze
01-04-2017, 09:09 AM
I do agree... The right fit is important. I think too much is focused on how well or poor these candidates offense or defense performed. Every coach has failed at some point in their careers. There are too many other dynamics that control things. Reich controlled an offense with a rookie qb who hit the wall. Reich was the man, when the Eagles started out hot. Sean McDermott's defense "regressed", yet the best MLB in the game was out half the year, and they started 2 rookies at CB. I would argue the personality traits are more important than x's and o's.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-04-2017, 09:18 AM
The best leaders are great at delegating. Many former Bills have stated Marv Levy's greatest attributes were humility, consensus building and the ability to delegate. Not really the best position coach or coordinator. https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-long-wondrous-life-of-marv-levy.

Crucial point right here. The head coach position is different from the coordinators. It's more of a project manager position where you have to watch over all elements of the team. Some guys can still do that while maintaining a direct hand on their side of the ball, like Andy Reid, but even he makes mental errors with some regularity. Whoever comes in should be looking to manage the whole team and let the coordinators do their thing. In that respect I don't hold Lynn's lack of OC experience against him.

WagonCircler
01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
I could picture Jimbo whispering in Kim's ear, "You may want to take a long hard look at Reich, his work ethic, etc."

I can also picture Jimbo whispering in his good friend Frank's ear: "Run Frank. Run away. Run for your life."

Historian
01-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Yea, Esiason too.

lol

Arm of Harm
01-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Reich was my favorite Bill. Not joking. He's not going to be a good HC here.

Frank Reich was my favorite Bill as well. But I don't want him here. Not because I think there's anything wrong with him as a person or as a coach. But because I don't want him set up to fail.

The worst possible situation for a head coach to be in is when the general manager convinces the owner that the player talent is playoff caliber, when in fact it's not. That's the situation Doug Whaley has created, and it sets up any would-be head coach to be a scapegoat down the road. Reich is a classy human being, and I don't want to see him thrown under the bus. Let some other coach take the blame for Whaley's sins, and for the upcoming prolongation of the playoff drought.