PDA

View Full Version : for those of you who still love Russ ***** Brandon

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-03-2017, 09:55 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/russ-brandon-still-looms-over-bills-football-operations/

discuss. well put
**** that guy

Bill Cody
01-03-2017, 10:07 AM
wow

OpIv37
01-03-2017, 10:13 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only way to be 100% sure he doesn't influence football operations is to get him off the team.

Jimkelly12203
01-03-2017, 10:15 AM
The organization is a joke. We really owe the media our gratitude for exposing this loser franchise. I've been really happy with the stuff i've read and not just from the Buffalo News. Articles like this can't possibly escape Pegula's attention.

I guess now we just have to wait and see how stubborn he is.

justasportsfan
01-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I don't know if anyone other than the people he makes money for loves Russ but I can see why they need his input.

Peggy: Hey Russ, what do you think will happen market wise if we fired Rex? Do you think we should bring Sexy Back?
Russ: I've been reading BZ a lot lately and it seems the fans want him fired.

Peggy: Sexy, you're fired!

Victor7
01-03-2017, 11:10 AM
This past weeks have seen a bunch of articles grilling both Whaley and Brandon detailing their involvement and failure. Yet they both remain glued to their jobs like nothing happened.

Reality 1
TPegs 0

**** those 2 losers. Until they are gone we wont be relevant.

DraftBoy
01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
There is little to defend Russ Brandon about anymore, but that article is all speculation and assumption.

OpIv37
01-03-2017, 11:27 AM
I don't know if anyone other than the people he makes money for loves Russ but I can see why they need his input.

Peggy: Hey Russ, what do you think will happen market wise if we fired Rex? Do you think we should bring Sexy Back?
Russ: I've been reading BZ a lot lately and it seems the fans want him fired.

Peggy: Sexy, you're fired!

I wish Brandon perused this site for input into football decisions. The people here have been right a lot more than the team has.

Strongman
01-03-2017, 11:29 AM
It's satisfying to see that cockroach and Whaley get national scrutiny. It's long overdue.

k-oneputt
01-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Wow what a ****show.
After Whaley's bomb yesterday and now this it is even worse then I thought.

I think the time has come to dump my season tickets.

Historian
01-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Here's our next GM:

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/01/draft_day.jpg

Historian
01-03-2017, 11:38 AM
....and our next Coach.

http://www.fatmovieguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Draft-Day-Movie-Review-Image-3.jpg

feldspar
01-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Just the kind of conjecture you can read anywhere on social media

trapezeus
01-03-2017, 12:18 PM
like I said in a different thread, russ and doug are now trying to paint the other as a problem where the last several years they have been able to scape goat coaches and qb's and other players. on a national level, it doesn't add up. when doug's "bad answers" at the press actually start getting gpeople to sniff at Brandon, you know he's doing it for a reason. and Brandon doing his usual side step and avoid all responsibility at a top level gig. just the fact that two people who should have a significant level of input on your team are bickering suggests the turn around is more than a 1 year fix. and unfortunately, the players and coaches will be the ones who pay with their careers.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Nobody knows what Russ Brandon does...everybody wants him fired.

WagonCircler
01-03-2017, 12:29 PM
I wish Brandon perused this site for input into football decisions. The people here have been right a lot more than the team has.

Well, we're no less qualified than he is. Seriously. He has no more business giving input on any kind of football decision than we do.

trapezeus
01-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I just don't get why joe fo sho is so protective of Brandon. he's been here the entire time the team has sucked. he is always prominent at the big signings and always ditches the year end what went wrong. and he sells you that he didn't do anything. don't buy the marketing hype. you love this team not because of Brandon. you love this teambecause its part of WNY culture. on 31 other teams and countless other industries, the president of an organization that oversees complete failure of its goals loses their job. and the nfl is structured in a way that they don't need the season ticket holders. they have the tv money. spending to cap and the money they get guaranteed makes owning a team a profitable success no matter what. he's a leach.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 12:56 PM
I just don't get why joe fo sho is so protective of Brandon. he's been here the entire time the team has sucked. he is always prominent at the big signings and always ditches the year end what went wrong. and he sells you that he didn't do anything. don't buy the marketing hype. you love this team not because of Brandon. you love this teambecause its part of WNY culture. on 31 other teams and countless other industries, the president of an organization that oversees complete failure of its goals loses their job. and the nfl is structured in a way that they don't need the season ticket holders. they have the tv money. spending to cap and the money they get guaranteed makes owning a team a profitable success no matter what. he's a leach.

I don't give two s***s about Russ Brandon, screw him.

I just don't see the point in crying about something that I don't know anything about like most people here. You guys act like you've never been a part of a business that has a ton of moving parts where you get input from all parties involved before making a decision. Terry is the one that is clearly making every decision for this football team, with input from Russ, Doug, Overdorf, or whoever the f*** else.

Pegula is the guy you should be upset at, not Russ.

Turf
01-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Naw man, none of this hurts us. The only thing this other national article omits is Whaley's lying and Russ.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/interviews-by-bills-owner-terry-pegula-rex-ryan-paint-picture-of-what-went-wrong-in-buffalo-180129695.html

GreedoII
01-03-2017, 01:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/russ-brandon-still-looms-over-bills-football-operations/

discuss. well put

**** that guy

cats getting out of the bag in a hurry on this POS

OpIv37
01-03-2017, 01:17 PM
I don't give two s***s about Russ Brandon, screw him.

I just don't see the point in crying about something that I don't know anything about like most people here. You guys act like you've never been a part of a business that has a ton of moving parts where you get input from all parties involved before making a decision. Terry is the one that is clearly making every decision for this football team, with input from Russ, Doug, Overdorf, or whoever the f*** else.

Disagree. Russ ran the team poorly under Ralph when Ralph was incapacitated at the end and now, well worst case scenario is that he's still running it poorly and best case scenario is that he is giving Pegula poor advice.

And btw, the fact that we are having this conversation shows how dysfunctional this organization is. We know the owner interferes but we don't truly know who is involved in which decisions. There is no clear chain of command and Pegula,
Brandon and Whaley all seem to make certain decisions in a vacuum by themselves without consulting or even notifying the others.

This is the bottom line culture that Russ has been creating for years. No one cares if the football product is a dumpster fire as long as the bottom line is healthy.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Disagree.

Fair enough. Neither of us know anything about the inner workings of the Bills.

And btw, the fact that we are having this conversation shows how dysfunctional this organization is. We know the owner interferes but we don't truly know who is involved in which decisions. There is no clear chain of command and Pegula,
Brandon and Whaley all seem to make certain decisions in a vacuum by themselves without consulting or even notifying the others.

The Bills are completely dysfunctional right now, no one is arguing that. Who's fault is that though? I think it starts at the top.

This is the bottom line culture that Russ has been creating for years. No one cares if the football product is a dumpster fire as long as the bottom line is healthy.

Which recent decisions do you think Russ has made that has caused our mediocrity?

trapezeus
01-03-2017, 01:24 PM
I think pegulas have some responsibility to this, but they are still the new owners. whatever hasn't worked, Brandon hasn't made the inner circle pay the price. its always coaches and players. coaches and players. now its coming home to roost.

I have been part of a listless organization and the turnover at the top is so fast. and as a result the next person makes drastic changes as well to at least put their stamp on it. what really has changed over the years. strange contracts that are rushed out because a player or coach has shown a small flash for a short window. signing big names simply to have them (TO, Rex, Bledsoe), making big draft trades (losman, mcgahee, Watkins, etc).

the team has no direction and the president should be able to provide that or have someone they inherently trust in a gm to do that. and Brandon doesn't pay for not providing direction and he isn't making football decisions if you protect him. so what value does the team get in keeping him. I swear Ralph's last screwgie to us was somehow giving russ part ownership and that's the dirty secret on why they can't move Brandon out.

trapezeus
01-03-2017, 01:27 PM
to just clarify on pegula's. I am ok assigning them blame. but they kept a failed power structure and that's on them. but the failures in the organization must own their failures. and they don't.

WagonCircler
01-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Bull****. That's like saying you shouldn't be upset a Goebbels, just Hitler. (This is not to imply that Pegula is Hitler--but the Goebbels comparison to Brandon is pretty close).

Brandon is the slime ball who has Pegula's ear, as is Whaley, and they're talking his gullible ass into making all these idiotic decisions, then, just as the article says, they slimily slither away by distancing themselves from the very advice they gave after that advice turns out to be a pile of manure.

Brandon weaseled his way into Ralph's good graces, and now he's done the same with Pegula and Wife.

Brandon is the ****ing devil.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 01:33 PM
to just clarify on pegula's. I am ok assigning them blame. but they kept a failed power structure and that's on them. but the failures in the organization must own their failures. and they don't.

Do you want Russ to fire himself, though?

What has he done specifically to deserve being laid off? What is he doing that's outside of his job description?

OpIv37
01-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Fair enough. Neither of us know anything about the inner workings of the Bills.

The Bills are completely dysfunctional right now, no one is arguing that. Who's fault is that though? I think it starts at the top.

Which recent decisions do you think Russ has made that has caused our mediocrity?

For starters, Rex.

And I have no way of knowing for sure, but I have to think that decisions like Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin have Brandon's fingerprints all over them. The real fans know, but the team already has their money. These are big names who have succeeded in the past and their signing brings national attention. That appeals to the casual fans. At least, inhole those were marketing decisions and not football decisions we are far worse off than I thought.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Bull****. That's like saying you shouldn't be upset a Goebbels, just Hitler. (This is not to imply that Pegula is Hitler--but the Goebbels comparison to Brandon is pretty close).

Brandon is the slime ball who has Pegula's ear, as is Whaley, and they're talking his gullible ass into making all these idiotic decisions, then, just as the article says, they slimily slither away by distancing themselves from the very advice they gave after that advice turns out to be a pile of manure.

Brandon weaseled his way into Ralph's good graces, and now he's done the same with Pegula and Wife.

Brandon is the ****ing devil.

It's easy to say things like this, though. I can do the same and join you guys with your pitchforks, I'm sure it'll be a good time. I just don't know what recent decisions Russ has made to deserve losing his job.

WagonCircler
01-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Do you want Russ to fire himself, though?

What has he done specifically to deserve being laid off? What is he doing that's outside of his job description?

HE HIRED REX RYAN. He hired DOUG WHALEY. He oversaw the drafting of EJ MANUEL. He was all in the the idiotic Watkins trade. He was behind the Toronto debacle.

WTF has he done right? And don't say sell tickets. A mental patient with a traumatic head injury could sell football tickets to Western New Yorkers.

WagonCircler
01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
It's easy to say things like this, though..

It's easy to say, because it's the ****ing TRUTH.

This organization, the one everyone's calling for a future change from, is permeated by lies and double talk, and losing.

The person most responsible for that culture is Russ F Brandon.

feldspar
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
HE HIRED REX RYAN. He hired DOUG WHALEY. He oversaw the drafting of EJ MANUEL. He was all in the the idiotic Watkins trade.

Man, all of that is baseless conjecture...even ridiculous to say...

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
For starters, Rex.

Agree 100%. Terrible decision. He should be left off of the committee to pick the next coach, and he is.

And I have no way of knowing for sure, but I have to think that decisions like Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin have Brandon's fingerprints all over them. The real fans know, but the team already has their money. These are big names who have succeeded in the past and their signing brings national attention. That appeals to the casual fans. At least, inhole those were marketing decisions and not football decisions we are far worse off than I thought.

I thought the Harvin signing was because of Overdorf or some crap.

Seriously though, if that's all you got it's pretty lame. A guy with 12 rushing attempts and like a 6th string wideout? Were there really better players available at the time of these signings that would've helped us more? Did the 2 dozen or so plays that these guys affected really cause our mediocre season?

In my opinion, these 2 signings stink like Rex. Just like guys the Jets would've signed while he was there.

But, like you said, we have no way of knowing for sure.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 03:06 PM
HE HIRED REX RYAN. He hired DOUG WHALEY. He oversaw the drafting of EJ MANUEL. He was all in the the idiotic Watkins trade. He was behind the Toronto debacle.

Soooo...nothing since they changed his role to be removed from football operations?

Not to mention you're just making stuff up with the EJ/Watkins claim.

DynaPaul
01-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Brandon, instead of being cut out like the cancer that he is, has metastasized instead.

YardRat
01-03-2017, 04:57 PM
I find solace in the report that Brandon won't be involved at all in this coaching search. I'm hoping it is true, and will be really pissed if it proves to be otherwise.

SpikedLemonade
01-03-2017, 05:12 PM

WTF has he done right? And don't say sell tickets. A mental patient with a traumatic head injury could sell football tickets to Western New Yorkers.

Assuming the parking lot is big enough.

Turf
01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
While speaking of dysfunction, where do the media leaks come from. Rex being fired, Tyrod being out, Lynn as a shoe in. Why isn't Pegula head hunting over this.
Seems to me we have a big 4 that knew these things. Pegulas, Brandon, Whaley - though not sure if he could have cared or paid attention long enough to know, and who else, Overdorf, maybe 1-2 other people.
So who's the mole leaking out info to the media. A secretary? The Security team? It's either one of the 4 or it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Mace
01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
I find solace in the report that Brandon won't be involved at all in this coaching search. I'm hoping it is true, and will be really pissed if it proves to be otherwise.

Well yes and no. Whaley doesn't look in the least competent to drive the car when he's always been sitting in the back seat looking out the back window.

Is Brandon competent enough for a coaching search ? No. Are the Pegulas ? No.

So that leaves.....ummm......Jim Monos who Whaley said is helping him, director of personnel, journalism major and Tom Modrak disciple :

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Player-personnel-chief-Jim-Monos-set-to-grind/9b4d2314-647b-43ee-aeee-ef8afa41b2e5

I'm not finding any solace in anything about this "search" at this point.

The Jokeman
01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Well getting Russ out of the room is positive and think Monos can as together can learn first hand what the new HC plans to do or wants to do with regard to personnel or am I missing something?

Mace
01-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Well getting Russ out of the room is positive and think Monos can as together can learn first hand what the new HC plans to do or wants to do with regard to personnel or am I missing something?

Probably that we're counting on Jim Monos to be the compelling voice of direction and authoritative football judgement when he reports to a GM who didn't wonder why a coach was fired and says he has had nothing much to do with anything, doesn't know why and is disinterested.

I mean you have to admit it takes a reach for optimism.

WagonCircler
01-03-2017, 08:10 PM

OK, they're lying about basically everything else. What makes you think they're not lying about that?

Spoiler Alert: They're lying.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Everyone is missing this KEY POINT - Russ Brandon owns part of the Bills. He is a "managing partner." My guess is that Ralph Wilson willed Russ Brandon a certain percentage of ownership in the franchise. How much? Nobody knows.

Sound nuts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Brandon

The change also changed Brandon's title with the Bills to that of "managing partner", but despite the title change, Brandon did not receive a partnership stake in the (Sabres) franchise (unlike predecessor Larry Quinn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Quinn_(ice_hockey)), who owned a share of the Sabres during his time of managing partner).

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:13 PM
OK, they're lying about basically everything else. What makes you think they're not lying about that?

Spoiler Alert: They're lying.

They're not lying, they're just hiding the fact that Russ Brandon owns a certain percentage of the team.

Will a sports reporter have the balls to ask Kim or Terry if Russ Brandon is part owner of the Buffalo Bills?

DetDannyWilliams
01-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Sabres/PSE President Russ Brandon to represent Sabres at GM Meetings along with Tim Murray at end of Jan.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I think the reason why the Pegula's can't can Russ Brandon is because it would cost too much.

As a "managing partner," of the Bills, Russ Brandon owns a percentage of the team.

If it's 10%, that's $140 million...and the Pegula's can't use the money they get from the NFL via advertising contracts to pay the bill.

Rex got canned, and the Pegula's simply used the annual NFL revenue sharing check to pay the tab. It's not their money.

Can't do that with a "managing partner."

Mace
01-03-2017, 08:45 PM
I think the reason why the Pegula's can't can Russ Brandon is because it would cost too much.

As a "managing partner," of the Bills, Russ Brandon owns a percentage of the team.

If it's 10%, that's $140 million...and the Pegula's can't use the money they get from the NFL via advertising contracts to pay the bill.

Rex got canned, and the Pegula's simply used the annual NFL revenue sharing check to pay the tab. It's not their money.

Can't do that with a "managing partner."

Thing is though, Imp...

but despite the title change, Brandon did not receive a partnership stake

That means no shares no percentage. He's got the title, but I've never read he received stake.

Mace
01-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Sabres/PSE President Russ Brandon to represent Sabres at GM Meetings along with Tim Murray at end of Jan.

Photo ops in a new sport !!!! I'm sure Tim will be pleased to have Brandon's redoubtable presence on hand.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Thing is though, Imp...

That means no shares no percentage. He's got the title, but I've never read he received stake.

That was in reference to the Sabres, not the Bills, Mace.

Mace
01-03-2017, 08:55 PM
That was in reference to the Sabres, not the Bills, Mace.

I know, but I never read he received stake in Bills either, just title.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:55 PM

The change also changed Brandon's title with the Bills to that of "managing partner".....

But he didn't get the same title with the Sabres.

Mace
01-03-2017, 09:02 PM

The change also changed Brandon's title with the Bills to that of "managing partner".....

But he didn't get the same title with the Sabres.

he change also changed Brandon's title with the Bills to that of "managing partner", but despite the title change, Brandon did not receive a partnership stake in the franchise

The next sentence compares him to Quinn who was a "managing partner" of the sabres and had a stake.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 09:03 PM
I know, but I never read he received stake in Bills either, just title.

The title of "managing partner," sounds innocent. The media failed to look up what it actually means.

- - - Updated - - -

The next sentence compares him to Quinn who was a "managing partner" of the sabres and had a stake.

Exactly.

Mace
01-03-2017, 09:11 PM
The title of "managing partner," sounds innocent. The media failed to look up what it actually means.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

It's an old argument though. Last year maybe, the year before, because I said the same thing. But an accountant or legal guy jumped in (I don't remember the thread or who), and explained partnerships where I couldn't argue it anymore because it made sense, and I had to conclude he didn't really have a stake, though you're of course free to make your own judgement. I stopped believing it back in that thread though, myself, because there were also links saying he received no stake in the Bills.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 09:19 PM
It's an old argument though. Last year maybe, the year before, because I said the same thing. But an accountant or legal guy jumped in (I don't remember the thread or who), and explained partnerships where I couldn't argue it anymore because it made sense, and I had to conclude he didn't really have a stake, though you're of course free to make your own judgement. I stopped believing it back in that thread though, myself, because there were also links saying he received no stake in the Bills.

Thanks for an honest answer without being a dick.

Whoever posted that thread should chime in.

Mace
01-03-2017, 09:21 PM
If you were so inclined, though Imp, this might be a better angle :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegula_Sports_and_Entertainment

He may well have a stake in the company which actually owns the teams, though it's hard to say how influential that is because the company is diversified. Like 5% or something would spread pretty thin across the board as opposed to 5% of one element of it.

Strongman
01-03-2017, 09:22 PM
A partnership doesn't equal being a co-owner. It simply means he receives a part of the team's profits.

Which totally explains why the team is operated like a dime store.

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 09:25 PM
A partnership doesn't equal being a co-owner. It simply means he receives a part of the team's profits.

Which totally explains why the team is operated like a dime store.

I think we're on to something here...

SpikedLemonade
01-03-2017, 09:28 PM

It may have been me but I have never seen a Managing Partner who did not have some equity/stake in the partnership nor receive at least some portion of the profit.

It tends to be a specific term.

Managing Director is something different.

Mace
01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
It may have been me but I have never seen a Managing Partner who did not have some equity/stake in the partnership nor receive at least some portion of the profit.

It tends to be a specific term.

Managing Director is something different.

That's where it rolls back to PS/E.

Jimkelly12203
01-04-2017, 02:52 AM
This whole partner thing is very interesting. But I can confirm having worked for a few law firms that there is a vast difference between being a "Partner" and being an "Equity Partner".

As has been said, a Partner typically takes in a share of the profits (better salary in good years) but an equity partner (in general) doesn't even have a salary. An equity partner typically takes a much larger share of the profits than a partner, but has no base salary to speak of. If the company suffers, the equity partner goes broke while the standard issue partner still at least gets a salary.

It's a big difference. And i'm sure Russ's compensation is tied to profits. But i'm also pretty sure he doesn't own any of the team. Could be wrong of course...

Historian
01-04-2017, 05:28 AM
I honestly thought he and Littman were given a small piece of the team upon Ralph's passing.

swiper
01-04-2017, 05:33 AM
Well, we're no less qualified than he is. Seriously. He has no more business giving input on any kind of football decision than we do.

He has a solid track record of failure in Buffalo.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly thought he and Littman were given a small piece of the team upon Ralph's passing.

They were. Brandon is part owner of the team as I recall.

But maybe not.... http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?538377-Does-Russ-Brandon-own-part-of-the-team

YardRat
01-04-2017, 06:12 AM
Well yes and no. Whaley doesn't look in the least competent to drive the car when he's always been sitting in the back seat looking out the back window.

Is Brandon competent enough for a coaching search ? No. Are the Pegulas ? No.

So that leaves.....ummm......Jim Monos who Whaley said is helping him, director of personnel, journalism major and Tom Modrak disciple :

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Player-personnel-chief-Jim-Monos-set-to-grind/9b4d2314-647b-43ee-aeee-ef8afa41b2e5

I'm not finding any solace in anything about this "search" at this point.
Nobody here has any qualifications for hiring a head coach, but I'd bet real money I could pick three other posters and the four of us could have come up with a better option than ****ing Wrecks Wryan.

YardRat
01-04-2017, 06:17 AM

Me too. One would think any reporter worth a damn would have already asked that question.

Strongman
01-04-2017, 06:52 AM
I think we're on to something here...

Guessing by the way he pimps ticket sales, I would not be surprised if he gets a small percentage from them.

Zero
01-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Everyone is missing this KEY POINT - Russ Brandon owns part of the Bills. He is a "managing partner." My guess is that Ralph Wilson willed Russ Brandon a certain percentage of ownership in the franchise. How much? Nobody knows.

Sound nuts?

The change also changed Brandon's title with the Bills to that of "managing partner", but despite the title change, Brandon did not receive a partnership stake in the (Sabres) franchise (unlike predecessor Larry Quinn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Quinn_(ice_hockey)), who owned a share of the Sabres during his time of managing partner).

There's never been any evidence to suggest that anyone else outside of Wilson and his estate had any stake in the team. Pegula bought the team from Wilson's estate and sale would have been much more complicated had Wilson decided to "will" (as you suggest) portions of team to select individuals. Even if Russ had actually received a share of the Bills after Ralph's passing, he would have sold his portion to Pegula when he purchased the team.

YardRat
01-04-2017, 05:07 PM
There's never been any evidence to suggest that anyone else outside of Wilson and his estate had any stake in the team. Pegula bought the team from Wilson's estate and sale would have been much more complicated had Wilson decided to "will" (as you suggest) portions of team to select individuals. Even if Russ had actually received a share of the Bills after Ralph's passing, he would have sold his portion to Pegula when he purchased the team.

I'm certainly no expert, but this doesn't necessarily ring as accurate to me. Wilson could have willed Brandon a small portion of the team, and the majority of the portion that Wilson kept would have gone on to his estate with that majority portion being sold to Pegula and Brandon maintaining ownership of the portion he was willed. Brandon's portion didn't have to be part of the sale.

Mace
01-04-2017, 05:27 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but this doesn't necessarily ring as accurate to me. Wilson could have willed Brandon a small portion of the team, and the majority of the portion that Wilson kept would have gone on to his estate with that majority portion being sold to Pegula and Brandon maintaining ownership of the portion he was willed. Brandon's portion didn't have to be part of the sale.

Well.....

Subject to the approval of the NFL owners and the satisfaction of customary closing conditions, the definitive agreement calls for the Pegula family to acquire all of the interest in the Buffalo Bills franchise from the Wilson trust.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Wilson-trust-reaches-definitive-agreement-with-Pegula-family/b00d5820-fe52-4255-a2f5-50943235f6e9

YardRat
01-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Well.....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Wilson-trust-reaches-definitive-agreement-with-Pegula-family/b00d5820-fe52-4255-a2f5-50943235f6e9

Brandon's portion wouldn't have been part of the Wilson trust. That statement indicates the league expected to purchase 100% of what Wilson owned and left behind to the trust, not 100% of the team.

Mace
01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Brandon's portion wouldn't have been part of the Wilson trust. That statement indicates the league expected to purchase 100% of what Wilson owned and left behind to the trust, not 100% of the team.

Well, I'm not too sure why Pegula would pay that much for not the whole team as he did with the Sabres. Not real sure Larry Quinn wouldn't have wanted to stick around with the Sabres either.

I don't believe Brandon had stake. And I still don't believe he does, in anything but a really small part of PS/E, which means he can be marginalized. In buying teams, getting through Harbor Center, etc, Pegula does have a clear business sense. He bought a lot of peripheral interests. Having no experience then with Brandon, and putting up that much money, he wasn't going to allow silent minority stakes. I've never seen anything saying Brandon had a part of the team.

Imho, Brandon has succeeded in his fashion, by being an oily gladhander, with a certain marketing affinity, not a cutthroat business insider acumen. He doesn't really appear that smart and he's not even out there when things go bad, like sharks do when they smell blood in the water, to enhance their position.

Pegula has not proven to be a good owner of sports teams. But I really don't think he's a business rube.

swiper
01-04-2017, 06:23 PM
The managing partner title is what's throwing everybody off. He's got that title without actually being a partner.

YardRat
01-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm not too sure why Pegula would pay that much for not the whole team as he did with the Sabres. Not real sure Larry Quinn wouldn't have wanted to stick around with the Sabres either.

I don't believe Brandon had stake. And I still don't believe he does, in anything but a really small part of PS/E, which means he can be marginalized. In buying teams, getting through Harbor Center, etc, Pegula does have a clear business sense. He bought a lot of peripheral interests. Having no experience then with Brandon, and putting up that much money, he wasn't going to allow silent minority stakes. I've never seen anything saying Brandon had a part of the team.

Imho, Brandon has succeeded in his fashion, by being an oily gladhander, with a certain marketing affinity, not a cutthroat business insider acumen. He doesn't really appear that smart and he's not even out there when things go bad, like sharks do when they smell blood in the water, to enhance their position.

Pegula has not proven to be a good owner of sports teams. But I really don't think he's a business rube.
I would guess if there really were any of the team left to Brandon, the percentage would be so small (1%? 1/2 of 1%?) that it really wouldn't be negligible enough to affect the sale price, but enough that the smarmy Brandon could call himself a 'partner'.

Mace
01-04-2017, 07:06 PM
I would guess if there really were any of the team left to Brandon, the percentage would be so small (1%? 1/2 of 1%?) that it really wouldn't be negligible enough to affect the sale price, but enough that the smarmy Brandon could call himself a 'partner'.

I just don't see Pegula abiding it though for 1.4 billion dollars. For Mary Wilson, sure.

But if you really think about this, you have to suppose Wilson willed a part of the team to him, Wilson pretty much had his family always in mind. Then you have to suppose that share wasn't included in sale and why wouldn't it be ? Then you have to suppose Pegula would go along with it and why would he ? Too many "supposes" for me.

I can see Pegula rewarding Brandon with a small share of PS/E when he tapped him for the Sabres too. But PS/E is more than that even, it's Amerks, Bandits, Black River Entertainment, HarborCenter, sports athletic facilities, agreements with MSG, the brand OneBuffalo, 716 food & sport....and I can't see Brandon being a big part of that whole even involved with Bills & Sabres.

YardRat
01-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I just don't see Pegula abiding it though for 1.4 billion dollars. For Mary Wilson, sure.

But if you really think about this, you have to suppose Wilson willed a part of the team to him, Wilson pretty much had his family always in mind. Then you have to suppose that share wasn't included in sale and why wouldn't it be ? Then you have to suppose Pegula would go along with it and why would he ? Too many "supposes" for me.

I can see Pegula rewarding Brandon with a small share of PS/E when he tapped him for the Sabres too. But PS/E is more than that even, it's Amerks, Bandits, Black River Entertainment, HarborCenter, sports athletic facilities, agreements with MSG, the brand OneBuffalo, 716 food & sport....and I can't see Brandon being a big part of that whole even involved with Bills & Sabres.
My only question would be how much the team was valued at when he passed, even though Mary was exempt from estate tax Brandon wouldn't have been. Even then, though, let's say the value of the team was the $1.4 billion...1% of that would be $14mil and the tax would have been (40% of $8,660,000-the total value less the 2014 exemption) $3,464,000. I could be wrong with the figures, I'm not a tax expert or accountant, but if right I don't know how much Brandon makes but I would think that would be some serious scratch for NFL team executive. Even if the team was valued at half of the selling price upon Ralph's death it's still $1,732,000.

As far as your points, Brandon's share wouldn't be part of the sale simply because he didn't want to sell. Would Pegula, or anybody bidding, balk at buying an NFL team because some other yokel is going to hang on to 1% and they are only getting 99%? I wouldn't. As far as Pegula being willing to 'go along with it', if Russ didn't want to sell Peg really doesn't have a choice...he can own 99% of the Bills, or nothing.

IMO it's far less likely that Pegula would give up any ownership in any of his ventures to Brandon, he would have no reason, history with Brandon, or incentive to do so. Ralph made Russ the de facto owner in the last years of his life, so that would seem more likely to me.

I know one thing...it would be nice to know, although really it's none of our business. Fun to spitball and speculate, though.

Zero
01-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Even at that percentage, should any one other than Pegula Sports Entertainment retain any ownership whatsoever of the franchise he/she/it would still be considered a minority owner of the team. This is a half-pregnant scenario- you either are or you aren't.

A real world example of a small stake holder in a professional sports team that I like to use involves hip-hop mogul Jay-Z, who was a minority owner of the Brooklyn Nets. His ownership stake? 0.16%- less than a 1/5 of 1%.

In order for Pegula to purchase the team as he intended, he would have to purchase 100% of the team, either as an individual or as part of a larger ownership group ( like when WME bought the UFC). Any shares hypothetically gifted to others prior to purchase would either cease to exist, be purchased by the new ownership or a special arrangement would have to be made with the individuals/entities that would still own residual shares in the franchise after the sale/purchase- in which case, Pegula would be considered a MAJORITY owner of the team and in all likelihood this would all have come to light during the bidding/sale/purchase. MHO of course...