PDA

View Full Version : Was Sunday's loss worth it to move from 13 to 10?

Albany,n.y.
01-03-2017, 10:21 AM
We may not know for a few years, but I'm glad the Bills lost on Sunday and gained 3 spots in the draft. In 2004 the Bills drafted 13th. If they had lost 1 more game that year, they would have drafted ahead of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh picked 2 spots ahead of the Bills, who tried desperately to get ahead of the Steelers & couldn't find a trade partner. The result was Pittsburgh drafted the player the Bills wanted, Ben Roethlisberger, and the Bills took Lee Evans at 13 & then made the dumb JP Losman trade with Dallas later in the 1st round.

Two draft slots in 2004 have set the Bills back for over a decade. Anyone who preferred a win Sunday for pick 13 instead of pick 10 doesn't understand the word meaningless. Even the inept Bills management understood it was better to lose on Sunday.

Jimkelly12203
01-03-2017, 10:28 AM
While i was hoping for an even bigger dumpster fire than the one we all saw last sunday, the outcome was close to perfect in my eyes. I only wish that the Jets had found a way to shut us out. This entire organization needs to die. We need to lose in embarrassing fashion next year in as many games as possible if we have any hope of breaking Pegula out of his sleep-walk.

Ginger Vitis
01-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Donahoe should have offered the Bills 1st round pick in 2005 to the Texans or Jaguars to move in front of the Steelers... Why not he ended up giving that pick away in the end...Maybe he did but I would think one of those teams would have gladly moved back to 13 for a extra 1st rounder... The rumour at the time was the Texans really liked Dunta Robinson and were determined to stay at 10 and take him

Jimkelly12203
01-03-2017, 10:53 AM
By the way, i think we will screw up the 10th pick just as badly as we would have screwed up the 13th pick.

Joe Fo Sho
01-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Rooting for the Bills to win is, in no way, affecting the outcome of the game.

I will root for the Bills to win every single game that I watch. I will not be mad about losing meaningless games.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. It was widely reported that even the Steelers weren't that convinced about Roethlisberger that they didn't even had him for a visit. They were very high on Rivers, thought Eli was un-reachable, and had Losman in for a visit.

When Rivers was gone in the 4th pick, Cowher and Co. was ready to pick Vince Wilfork when Art Rooney brought up Roethlisberger. Back then it was 15 minutes between 1st round picks so history has it that Rooney had like 45 minutes to convince his football people.

Many people, including me at the time, thought Roethlisberger, a Junior when he came out, was more likely a bust compared to the others. But his unique size and intelligence combination made it work in NFL.

Isn't that interesting that all of those franchise QBs fell on teams laps - Mannings, Brady, Rogers, even Wilson, etc.? When teams start chasing QBs like trading all those picks trying to get them, it never works out. To me, it says all about team management. If you have a good plan, good people in place, you take business as they come and you make good decision on the spot.

Victor7
01-03-2017, 11:18 AM
It only means that whoever Whaley picks is going to be a bigger bust than the one we would've picked at 13.

Anybody know of a talented but injured player with 1st round talent ?? I'm sure Whaley would like to pick that one. Or perhaps a 5th round worthy QB with zero accuracy but some athleticism ?? Dougie love those!

feldspar
01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
It wasn't worth it to me...

Ginger Vitis
01-03-2017, 11:36 AM
I thought Cowher wanted the guard Shawn Andrews and Rooney overruled him because he didn't want another potential franchise QB slipping through his fingers like Dan Marino did...

Historian
01-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Roethlisberger would either be bagging groceries, or in prison for rape had he been drafted by the Bills.

trapezeus
01-03-2017, 12:29 PM
eli didn't fall to the giants. they had to trade and get him, but I agree with ghz's point. and I also think Roethlisberger was pretty raw his rookie year. he was asked to manage that team to 15-1 or whatever it was and ultimately failed in the playoffs. but I think the bills d at that time was also pretty good and might have given him a chance to make it. I suspect whaley trades up to get a position we are already strong in and where you shouldn't draft in the first round. With the 4th pick via trade, doug will pick a running back.

justasportsfan
01-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Someone might want to trade up to our pick too.

Jimkelly12203
01-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Roethlisberger would either be bagging groceries, or in prison for rape had he been drafted by the Bills.
Yup. Agreed. And i've long felt this way. At some point the problem is not who you're drafting (though it usually is that too for this team) but moreso the fact that they're going to be brought in to the losing culture of an organization that doesn't have any idea what the hell its doing.

We've made some clearly dreadful draft decisions. But i think it's inarguable that we've probably picked a few good players and then ruined them.

Cleve
01-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Mike Gillislee must have been in on the 'tank" for draft points - why else would he just stand there and watch a live ball slowly roll into his own endzone? lol

Luisito23
01-03-2017, 02:10 PM
But, "winning a meaningless game establishes momentum and a winning culture"...:crack:

stuckincincy
01-03-2017, 02:31 PM
We may not know for a few years, but I'm glad the Bills lost on Sunday and gained 3 spots in the draft. In 2004 the Bills drafted 13th. If they had lost 1 more game that year, they would have drafted ahead of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh picked 2 spots ahead of the Bills, who tried desperately to get ahead of the Steelers & couldn't find a trade partner. The result was Pittsburgh drafted the player the Bills wanted, Ben Roethlisberger, and the Bills took Lee Evans at 13 & then made the dumb JP Losman trade with Dallas later in the 1st round.

Two draft slots in 2004 have set the Bills back for over a decade. Anyone who preferred a win Sunday for pick 13 instead of pick 10 doesn't understand the word meaningless. Even the inept Bills management understood it was better to lose on Sunday.

They shot themselves in the foot last season by beating the Jets. It cost them seven spots...

Zero
01-03-2017, 02:35 PM
While i was hoping for an even bigger dumpster fire than the one we all saw last sunday, the outcome was close to perfect in my eyes. I only wish that the Jets had found a way to shut us out. This entire organization needs to die. We need to lose in embarrassing fashion next year in as many games as possible if we have any hope of breaking Pegula out of his sleep-walk.

Yes. Let the hate flow through you!

Jimkelly12203
01-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Yes. Let the hate flow through you!

Yes i do want that light saber and yes i do want to strike [the emperor] down with it!

DynaPaul
01-03-2017, 03:42 PM
It only matters if Whaley gets the pick right. No more high potential guys who have some ailment, character issue, etc. We need a day one starter in a position of need who hasn't scored a 2 on the Wonderlic.

sukie
01-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Someone might want to trade up to our pick too.
Trade the 10th and stockpile picks for 18

The Jokeman
01-04-2017, 08:05 AM
In the grand scheme of things Sunday's game means next to nothing except to finally answer the question that EJ should not be back (even as a backup) and Cardale still needs some work to be a starting NFL QB. Hopefully the higher draft spots (as the draft doesn't end after round 1) will allow us to get better players.

- - - Updated - - -

Trade the 10th and stockpile picks for 18

I'd be willing to do this as long as the stock piled picks come in the 2nd or 3rd round.

SpikedLemonade
01-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Donahoe should have offered the Bills 1st round pick in 2005 to the Texans or Jaguars to move in front of the Steelers... Why not he ended up giving that pick away in the end...Maybe he did but I would think one of those teams would have gladly moved back to 13 for a extra 1st rounder... The rumour at the time was the Texans really liked Dunta Robinson and were determined to stay at 10 and take him

I have been saying this for years.

It was a turning point in a bad way for the Bills not to have acquired Big Ben.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-04-2017, 03:47 PM
I have been saying this for years.

It was a turning point in a bad way for the Bills not to have acquired Big Ben.

you're right and wrong in my opinion

The true issue was had we not traded up for Losman, we could have selected Rodgers in 05 which would have an even bigger coup.

Bill Cody
01-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Getting to 10 was great. But who really thinks Whaley won't find a way to F it up? Now he's on the hot seat he'll feel pressure to get an impact now guy even if he has to trade up to do it. Sammy Watkins II anyone?

trapezeus
01-04-2017, 04:34 PM
it's interesting. the loss potentially helped. if whaley really wanted ej to get a chance, ej blew it. and essentially put a lot of pressure to bring TT back and let EJ go. The team seems to be structured to simply try and make the playoffs. if that's the bills goal for next year, then TT is the best option. and it still allows you to draft another qb and give him time to get it. it also puts pressure on Cardale.

the one issue I have is that I think whaley's perspective is that the QB position is changing more than it has. I think he really believes in mobility. and he doesn't seem to value quick release. so the next qb drafted probably will be of the same vein. And in that case, they could be getting into jets territory. lots of qbs picked, but none that pan out.

I don't think TT is the answer, but he makes the game a lot more fun to watch than to see EJ throw passes to the opposing coach. you also see the WR's being extremely frustrated. clay, woods, and Watkins were all slow to get up on the errant passes. slumped shoulders head down back to the huddle. so the loss helped get rid of EJ. I thought EJ seems like a nice guy and I wish it worked for him. but after that jets game, there is no chance he comes back

sudzy
01-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Because drafting in the top ten FOR 17 Years has to pay off eventually.....right???

Strongman
01-05-2017, 07:07 AM
In this case, I'd say it was worth it. It removed any doubt EJ doesn't have it, shown us Cardale has a long way to go, players are questioning the team's culture, and the Front Office is finally getting the national criticism it deserves.

You can't build a championship caliber team if your team President is focused on marketing gimmicks to generate ticket sales and your GM's draft picks don't contribute.

The Jokeman
01-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Because drafting in the top ten FOR 17 Years has to pay off eventually.....right???
For what it's worth during the 17 year drought we've only drafted in the top 10 seven times.

2017 10 10 To Be Determined
2016 19 19 Shaq Lawson DE Clemson
2014 4 4 Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
2013 16 16 E.J. Manuel QB Florida State
2012 10 10 Stephon Gilmore DB South Carolina
2011 3 3 Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
2010 9 9 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
2009 11 11 Aaron Maybin DE Penn State
2009 28 28 Eric Wood C Louisville
2008 11 11 Leotis McKelvin DB Troy
2007 12 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California
2006 8 8 Donte Whitner DB Ohio State