PDA

View Full Version : Jets - OC Gailey Retires, 5 Staff Let Go

DraftBoy
01-03-2017, 04:57 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18400965/chan-gailey-new-york-jets-retires-5-other-assistants-fired

The New York Jets' coaching-staff shake-up is underway.

Chan Gailey, who served as Todd Bowles' offensive coordinator the past two seasons, announced his retirement Tuesday. His departure was expected.

Gailey, in a statement released by the team, said he informed Bowles before the season that this would be his final year. Gailey will turn 65 years old on Thursday.

In addition, Bowles fired five position coaches: Kevin Patullo (quarterbacks), Marcel Shipp (running backs), Pepper Johnson (defensive line), Mark Collins (outside linebackers) and Joe Danna (defensive backs).

More changes could happen. For now, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers and special-teams coordinator Brant Boyer remain.

I'd kick the tires on Pepper Johnson, he was a guy who had some DC looks in a few places.

YardRat
01-03-2017, 04:59 PM
We already 'kicked the tires' on Johnson, he was here under Schwartz when Buffalo had the best defensive line in football.

I'd bring him back in a second.

Mace
01-03-2017, 05:37 PM
The best to Chan, a classy individual, and a good coordinator, though I'll again mention that I think his major flaw was always looking to retread vets and not trying to mold a QB for his system from scratch. That extended to his HC potential along with inability to find a DC like Schwartz for his program.

Had he tried, I'd have loved to see what he could have done with Kaepernick coming out of college for his pistol variant. One of my favorite fantasy Bills Frankensteins for potential would have been Kap trained for Gailey's pistol with Fitz as a bridge and Schwartz as DC.

Homegrown
01-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Jets were 30th in points scored....Chan wasn't coordinating much of an offense

DraftBoy
01-04-2017, 06:34 AM
We already 'kicked the tires' on Johnson, he was here under Schwartz when Buffalo had the best defensive line in football.

I'd bring him back in a second.

Completely forgot about that.

Would you consider him for DC?

Albany,n.y.
01-04-2017, 10:36 AM
I remember back in the early part of the 2015 season when there were people anointing Todd Bowles as the next great coach and lauding him for picking Chan as his OC. Most were trying to show how much better the Jets were with Bowles replacing Rex. The thing they failed to mention was that the Jets early 2015 schedule was very easy & things would get tougher when they had to play winning teams.

Now it looks like the Todd Bowles era has reached its desperation point. Show me the last team that kept the head coach & replaced 6 assistants in the off-season and the coach kept his job long term. At least the Bills had the guts to admit their mistake & fire Ryan after 2 seasons. The Jets are being gutless & just prolonging the agony of a bad coaching choice in Todd Bowles.

The King
01-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Completely forgot about that.

Would you consider him for DC?

He left the Pats and came to us to get out of Patricia and Belichick's shadow. Hasn't worked out great for him yet.

The King
01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
I loved Chan though. He was the only one who would take the Bills job at the time. And he met with the media on his way out and handled everything with an unbelievable amount of class.

He's the man.

The Jokeman
01-04-2017, 01:30 PM
The best to Chan, a classy individual, and a good coordinator, though I'll again mention that I think his major flaw was always looking to retread vets and not trying to mold a QB for his system from scratch. That extended to his HC potential along with inability to find a DC like Schwartz for his program.

Had he tried, I'd have loved to see what he could have done with Kaepernick coming out of college for his pistol variant. One of my favorite fantasy Bills Frankensteins for potential would have been Kap trained for Gailey's pistol with Fitz as a bridge and Schwartz as DC.

Chan made us have a somewhat successful offense with a 7th Round QB (Fitzpatrick) and undrafted RB (Fred Jackson) a 7th Round WR (Stevie Johnson) and two undrafted WRs (David Nelson and Donald Jones). A damn shame we didn't draft Dez Bryant instead of CJ Spiller.

Luisito23
01-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Always liked Chan...Good luck to him.