PDA

View Full Version : tyrod not so bad

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
this is an interesting read... I have not seen it posted here but if so then sorry
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bills-should-build-around-tyrod-taylor-not-show-him-the-door/

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:45 PM
He's not bad, but he's not good enough to win a Super Bowl or be a team's franchise QB for the next 10 years.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2017, 08:47 PM
did you read the article? there is an argument against chasing a qb all the time for the lucky hit. building around a pretty good qb instead of constantly chasing the one in a million

BillsImpossible
01-03-2017, 08:51 PM
did you read the article? there is an argument against chasing a qb all the time for the lucky hit. building around a pretty good qb instead of constantly chasing the one in a million

I read it, and the following sentence made me wonder what Sam Monson was smoking.

"Taylor’s brand of play gives a team the ability to come back from deficits in a way a game manager couldn’t."

Mr. Pink
01-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Except Tyrod is not a pretty good QB.

He can run and protect the football pretty well.

Just don't ask him to actually complete passes or extend drives with his arm with regularity or over the middle of the field.

ICRockets
01-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Just don't ask him to actually complete passes or extend drives with his arm with regularity or over the middle of the field.
Did you actually read the article? Seems to me like it did a pretty good job of making you look like the idiot you are for continuing this meme.

Homegrown
01-03-2017, 09:11 PM
It took him 29 NFL games to throw for 300 yards in a game.....not too shabby if it was 1976

Mace
01-03-2017, 09:16 PM
It took him 29 NFL games to throw for 300 yards in a game.....not too shabby if it was 1976

lmao...

Mr. Pink
01-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Did you actually read the article? Seems to me like it did a pretty good job of making you look like the idiot you are for continuing this meme.

It's called I watch him play.

Now I'm beginning to doubt if you even watch Bills games.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Here is his 2015 passing chart, I can't find anything that lists his 2016 that is up to date, but found a link that states 14.8% of his throws through mid October were to the middle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcqNyAtWoAE9QiS.jpg

How's that for a false meme?

ICRockets
01-03-2017, 09:40 PM
It's called I watch him play.

Now I'm beginning to doubt if you even watch Bills games.
I watch them a hell of a lot closer than you do, obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is his 2015 passing chart, I can't find anything that lists his 2016 that is up to date, but found a link that states 14.8% of his throws through mid October were to the middle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcqNyAtWoAE9QiS.jpg

How's that for a false meme?
IT'S IN THE ****ING LINK YOU ****ING IDIOT.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2017, 09:49 PM

- - - Updated - - -

:rofl: for the final 10 games of the season Tyrod somehow threw over the middle at a 75% clip which is completely different than the QB he was in 2015 and the first five weeks of 2016. Did you see that happen? I sure didn't.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/10/15/13295528/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-middle-of-the-field

So he had 5 games of throwing 14.8% of the time to the middle and then just magically threw to the middle so much in the last 10 games to get that number up to 33.75% overall?

We won't even mention the fact that link doesn't even match up with the amount of total attempts he had for the year either.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2017, 09:54 PM
General question to anyone reading this...

Did you see the majority of Tyrod's passes go over the middle week 6-16?

Did you see Tyrod magically become a completely different QB in his last 10 starts than his previous 19?

Apparently according to PFF and IC Rockets, this must have happened.

I must have missed it.

ICRockets
01-03-2017, 10:04 PM
We won't even mention the fact that link doesn't even match up with the amount of total attempts he had for the year either.

You're right, that is odd. The rest of his stat totals all line up with that chart, but there are about 40 attempts missing.

jimmifli
01-03-2017, 10:43 PM
You're right, that is odd. The rest of his stat totals all line up with that chart, but there are about 40 attempts missing.

They don't count tips, throws out of bounds and a few other things that I can't remember. Which makes sense, because a tipped ball that lands 7 yards downfield and outside the hashmarks tells us nothing about where it was intended to go and it shouldn't be counted as a short sideline throw. Nor should the ball thrown away 30 yards downfield that's caught by Lecter in the 16th row.

Their work is pretty good, they do a good job on details like that. The stats are sound, I was surprised when I saw them. Tyrod throws to the middle, way more than I thought, and he does OK at it.

ICRockets
01-03-2017, 11:08 PM
They don't count tips, throws out of bounds and a few other things that I can't remember. Which makes sense, because a tipped ball that lands 7 yards downfield and outside the hashmarks tells us nothing about where it was intended to go and it shouldn't be counted as a short sideline throw. Nor should the ball thrown away 30 yards downfield that's caught by Lecter in the 16th row.

Their work is pretty good, they do a good job on details like that. The stats are sound, I was surprised when I saw them. Tyrod throws to the middle, way more than I thought, and he does OK at it.
Thanks, I knew there had to be an explanation considering everything else was correct.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-03-2017, 11:14 PM
He threw for 277 and 3 tds in his third game as a Bill, but 300 is much more round and therefore meaningful

jimmifli
01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Thanks, I knew there had to be an explanation considering everything else was correct.
Now having said all that, his rate across the middle is still lower than the elite QBs.

ICRockets
01-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Now having said all that, his rate across the middle is still lower than the elite QBs.

No doubt. He isn't an elite passer, and it's no secret that he doesn't have prototypical size. So it's only natural that he isn't going to be able to see over the line as well as some of the taller QBs in the league. But I agree with Mace that a lot of what is wrong with Tyrod's game would be less wrong with a real QB coach on the staff and an OC that is more experienced in designing a strong passing game.

Jimkelly12203
01-04-2017, 02:59 AM
this past sunday we learned that all inaccurate quarterbacks are not created equal. Tyrod may fail to see an open guy or make a throw that a WR or TE has to make an unreasonable (by NFL standards) adjustment to even catch. But he doesn't under throw someone who's wide open for a Touchdown like EJ did to Clay this week. That was really freaking bad in case you didn't know... He doesn't sail the ball 10 feet over a targets head. EJ does. Taylor is never going to run the kind of precise offense the league demands of a winner in this day and age. But he has some attributes that you like. I think the team needs to find a passer. But assuming we can't (we can't) we might be better off with Taylor.

This year's offense with Schwartz' defense would be good enough to make a playoff run. In that scenario anything can happen but we'd still probably lose to the Pats, Chiefs or Steelers.

But that was a top 4 defense that led the league in sacks. You're not going to get that here any time soon. We have a moron pot head at nose tackle. Kyle is aging and may be done given the miserable state of the franchise. Shaq has shown me some leadership in the comments he has made but how good is the guy ultimately? The "cold front" (Stupid Nickname) is done. Our DBs are average. We'll see what Ragland can do.

I'm torn on Tyrod because i know he's the best we can get in 2017. And yet i also know he's not a franchise QB. He's a fantastic dual threat game manager who will rarely make the kind of throw that gets you 20 yards after the catch. He'll also leave a lot of plays on the field by flat out not throwing to someone that is wide freaking open! He holds the ball too long. He's a "good" quarterback. Nothing more.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. We might as well get rid of Taylor and suck bad next year. Until Pegs wakes up and hires a real GM/President/Czar, nothing is going to change around here.

This is a dysfunctional disaster of an organization. We're so bad it doesn't even matter who our head coach and starting QB are next season.

That's goddamn sad. But it's also true.

swiper
01-04-2017, 05:22 AM

- - - Updated - - -

The only idiot here is you. Nice capitalizing. I'm sure you scared him with that. Have a salad Karen.

You're stupid to think a QB coach and an OC is going to make Taylor any better. He's at his ceiling. It's quite clear to see to anyone who isn't bipolar.

EDS
01-04-2017, 08:26 AM
From the original link, it is not surprising how few passes Taylor throws over the middle (other than dump-offs).

Joe Fo Sho
01-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Where's the chart that shows how many wide open receivers he missed because he was too busy running out of bounds?

Mahdi
01-04-2017, 09:06 AM

I made and agreed with this point throughout the season. His all-22 was revealing glaring misses over the middle all season.

However, vs Cleveland and Miami he turned a corner in that respect and was aggressively throwing over the middle and with success...

We forget Tyrod was watching football for 4 years, the last two seasons were his rookie years essentially so for the light to be turning on late in year 2 is actually right on schedule.

The TD he threw to Clay over the middle was perfect against Miami, then followed it up with a nice low pass that only Clay could reach for the TD in on 4th down. He was not even looking for those throws earlier in the season.

Anthony Lynn also eluded to the fact that Taylor was not being coached or trained to target the middle with Roman and that this off-season it would be part of the focus.

Historian
01-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Again....I think he throws a beautiful deep ball, and you can't coach that. It's natural ability.

It's the short stuff (screens, crossing routes) that he has trouble with.

I think that is correctable, with a decent QB Coach.

Pinkerton Security
01-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Tyrod cannot carry the team throwing the ball, but I dont place the blame on him. There is a reason we have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL - we run A LOT. Tyrod averaged ~29 attempts per game this year, so him not breaking 300 yards often is meaningless. I'd be inclined to keep him around only if we can restructure his cap number.

My biggest bugaboo for the season was our defense. If we had a top 10 defense to go along with the #1 rushing offense in the NFL and Tyrod at QB, we would be a playoff team, period. I place some blame on our personnel, but Rex was simply not adept at tailoring his defense to our personnel. Highly disappointing since I do think we had enough talent to be a better team than our record indicated.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2017, 11:58 AM
I made and agreed with this point throughout the season. His all-22 was revealing glaring misses over the middle all season.

However, vs Cleveland and Miami he turned a corner in that respect and was aggressively throwing over the middle and with success...

We forget Tyrod was watching football for 4 years, the last two seasons were his rookie years essentially so for the light to be turning on late in year 2 is actually right on schedule.

The TD he threw to Clay over the middle was perfect against Miami, then followed it up with a nice low pass that only Clay could reach for the TD in on 4th down. He was not even looking for those throws earlier in the season.

Anthony Lynn also eluded to the fact that Taylor was not being coached or trained to target the middle with Roman and that this off-season it would be part of the focus.

No doubt, against Miami he had a nice game. It was the best of his NFL career.

Cleveland was an okay game and it is Cleveland, they suck so I don't take away too much from that.

So we have no real idea if it was a one game anomaly or he turned a corner with that performance. Personally I'd go with it's a one game anomaly because he didn't have many games like that throwing the ball in college either.

If we saw more of that Tyrod versus Miami during the last 2 years here, I wouldn't bash the guy or have a poor opinion of him.

I just want to see meaningful January football games and that guy from what he's shown 90% of the time isn't good enough to get that done.

Mahdi
01-04-2017, 12:07 PM
No doubt, against Miami he had a nice game. It was the best of his NFL career.

Cleveland was an okay game and it is Cleveland, they suck so I don't take away too much from that.

So we have no real idea if it was a one game anomaly or he turned a corner with that performance. Personally I'd go with it's a one game anomaly because he didn't have many games like that throwing the ball in college either.

If we saw more of that Tyrod versus Miami during the last 2 years here, I wouldn't bash the guy or have a poor opinion of him.

I just want to see meaningful January football games and that guy from what he's shown 90% of the time isn't good enough to get that done.

Agreed but I would argue that Lynn has had an effect on his game and I think that just the fact that he has shown it, even in one game, that he can make those reads and throws, indicates that with more time together they can be more dynamic in the passing game.

BertSquirtgum
01-04-2017, 06:40 PM
He's not pretty good.

jamze132
01-05-2017, 04:13 AM
Say what you want about Tyrod, but he doesn't turn the ball over and the offense puts up points...more points than our defense allowed and that's saying a lot since our defense was the single reason for us missing the playoffs in year 17.