• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

It is impossible to defend Doug Whaley at this point

Tyrod's contract is completely insane. It was a repeat of the mistake this team made with Fitz, and then there is this bit of stupidity:

If Taylor is unable to pass a physical in about nine weeks by the March 11 deadline, however, he would be owed $27.5 million in injury guarantees. If Taylor is released after failing a physical, all $27.5 million would count toward Buffalo’s 2017 salary cap.

What. The. ****. Basically, if Tyrod can't pass the physical, we either have to keep a Qb that we know can't play or have $27.5 million in dead cap.

And this is after he drafted EJ then doubled down on him by spending two firsts on Watkins. This is after he spent so much in 2015 that the 2016 cap was hosed until it was too late to do anything significant. This is after he used last year's #1 on a guy with a known injury when the D needed immediate help that he couldn't get in FA. This is after he's mismanaged the kicker situation for 3 years.

Oh and let's not forget about the team's record the last 3 years: 9-7 to 8-8 to 7-9.

I'll give him a pass on Rex cuz that decision had Brandon's stench all over it but Whaley's performancehas been dismal. There is simply no way to defend keeping him around.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: It is impossible to defend Doug Whaley at this point

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Tyrod's contract is completely insane. It was a repeat of the mistake this team made with Fitz, and then there is this bit of stupidity:

What. The. ****. Basically, if Tyrod can't pass the physical, we either have to keep a Qb that we know can't play or have $27.5 million in dead cap.

And this is after he drafted EJ then doubled down on him by spending two firsts on Watkins. This is after he spent so much in 2015 that the 2016 cap was hosed until it was too late to do anything significant. This is after he used last year's #1 on a guy with a known injury when the D needed immediate help that he couldn't get in FA. This is after he's mismanaged the kicker situation for 3 years.

Oh and let's not forget about the team's record the last 3 years: 9-7 to 8-8 to 7-9.

I'll give him a pass on Rex cuz that decision had Brandon's stench all over it but Whaley's performancehas been dismal. There is simply no way to defend keeping him around.
    Per OTC the injury guarantees only kick in if we cut him due to the failed physical. If we keep him or cut him after he passes a physical then he wouldn't be in line for the guarantees.

I believe that the physical day is the same day they have to decide on his 2017 option.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      Per OTC the injury guarantees only kick in if we cut him due to the failed physical. If we keep him or cut him after he passes a physical then he wouldn't be in line for the guarantees.

I believe that the physical day is the same day they have to decide on his 2017 option.
      I get that, but it means that if Tyrod can't pass the physical, we are either stuck keeping a QB who isn't physically able to play or stuck with $27.5 million in dead cap. Why the hell would he allow a contract where this is even a remote possibility, especially for a player who hadn't even proven himself at the time it was signed?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

I get that, but it means that if Tyrod can't pass the physical, we are either stuck keeping a QB who isn't physically able to play or stuck with $27.5 million in dead cap. Why the hell would he allow a contract where this is even a remote possibility, especially for a player who hadn't even proven himself at the time it was signed?
        and what if the physical we give him is to lift a football? Easy peasy he passes the physical.

Comment

• Strongman
          • Apr 2006

I wonder what OBD's thought process was for putting in a financial incentive for a player to fail a physical into his contract?

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

You're smarter than that. If he doesn't pass the physical in March, that doesn't mean he won't be able to pass one in April, May, June or July.

It's an incentive contract, similar to the one Nick Foles signed in KC. You get some cash upfront, the team gets options, and if you get seriously hurt you have some protections as well. It's becoming a more common practice as a way for teams and players to agree on deals for guys who haven't quite proven it yet but have shown potential or flashes.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
            and what if the physical we give him is to lift a football? Easy peasy he passes the physical.
            I'm pretty sure the NFL CBA has a policy on what specifically must be done in a physical.

That being said if a team wants to pass/fail a guy on a physical they can make that happen.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Victor7
              • Jul 2013

That kind of clause is one that super stars have earned the right to have on their contracts. But Tyrod Taylor?? .... And lets not forget that we didn't even need to give him an extension in the 1st place.

Doug Whaley's stupidity is off the charts.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Weren't there a bunch of people who loved the contract Tyrod got when they announced it?

The scenario we're in right now is as close to the 'worst case' as anyone could have realistically predicted.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

You're smarter than that. If he doesn't pass the physical in March, that doesn't mean he won't be able to pass one in April, May, June or July.

It's an incentive contract, similar to the one Nick Foles signed in KC. You get some cash upfront, the team gets options, and if you get seriously hurt you have some protections as well. It's becoming a more common practice as a way for teams and players to agree on deals for guys who haven't quite proven it yet but have shown potential or flashes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure the NFL CBA has a policy on what specifically must be done in a physical.

That being said if a team wants to pass/fail a guy on a physical they can make that happen.
                  I understand some injury protection for the player, but $27.5 million? Even if it's unlikely it's absurd. And yes, I realize that if he doesn't pass the physical in March, he may still be able to pass one before the games or even before camp starts, but there is a piece you are missing: what if they wanted to cut him due to performance? If he's injured, that option is effectively gone.

It's a stupid contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                  Weren't there a bunch of people who loved the contract Tyrod got when they announced it?

The scenario we're in right now is as close to the 'worst case' as anyone could have realistically predicted.
                  I took all kinds of **** from those people for not liking the contract when it was signed...
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the push for Tyrod's extension came from Rex. It just might be one more reason why Pegula fired Rex.

I remember Whaley said many times before the season that Tyrod needs to prove it this past year. Now we know Rex promised Tyrod to be his QB as long as Rex is the HC, it is conceivable Rex talked his boss, Pegula, into having Whaley work out an extension.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                      Making Spirits Bright
                      • Mar 2006

I took all kinds of **** from those people for not liking the contract when it was signed...
                      You and me both.

If you want a good laugh, go back through that thread on the day they announced the signing.

I'm really not sure how anyone is upset about this deal.
                      Ridiculous...

Comment

• Mouldsie
                        • Aug 2012

Let's not forget, Whaley doesn't do contract details. Jim Overdorf does. I'm sure he signs off on them of course.

My point isn't to defend Whaley either, it's to show how dysfunctional the organization is. Also TT is Rex's boy

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

I understand some injury protection for the player, but $27.5 million? Even if it's unlikely it's absurd. And yes, I realize that if he doesn't pass the physical in March, he may still be able to pass one before the games or even before camp starts, but there is a piece you are missing: what if they wanted to cut him due to performance? If he's injured, that option is effectively gone.

It's a stupid contract.
                          So then you wait a few months and cut him later. Yea it would suck to eat the 10 or so million you lose but it's better than eating $27 million.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
                            That kind of clause is one that super stars have earned the right to have on their contracts. But Tyrod Taylor?? .... And lets not forget that we didn't even need to give him an extension in the 1st place.

Doug Whaley's stupidity is off the charts.
                            No superstar is going to sign a $90 million dollar contract that only guarantees $9.5 million with two team options over the first three years.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Victor7
                              • Jul 2013

No superstar is going to sign a $90 million dollar contract that only guarantees $9.5 million with two team options over the first three years.
                              But Tayor isn't a superstar. Far from it

That's my whole point. He didn't have the credentials to sign a deal like that.
                              Last edited by Victor7; 01-05-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X