PDA

View Full Version : Player opens up about Rob Ryan

Victor7
01-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Like I told everyone on this board the moment we signed that fat useless ****. Rob Ryan is a ****ing loser. Him being a good "defensive mind" is nothing short of complete and absolute bull****. His numbers are out for everyone to see. He has been a complete disaster most of his career. I still remember all the posters that called it a good move because and I quote ..... "It can't hurt to have another defensive mind"

**** the Ryan family<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> player said that Rob Ryan -- not Rex -- was the problem. Rob was basically the team's DC in 2016. &quot;He changed everything.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817469886419103745">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bills defensive player on Rob Ryan's D: &quot;Players hated it. Everything we played was dictated off the offense. We had no identity.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817470811363745793">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">More from this <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> player on D: &quot;Rob ruined our whole defense. He took over everything. ... He confused us.&quot; Called it a &quot;disaster.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817469637663268866">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YardRat
01-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Please choose from the following responses...

A) No ****
B) Duh
C) Yes, water is wet
D) I told you so

Victor7
01-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Please choose from the following responses...

A) No ****
B) Duh
C) Yes, water is wet
D) I told you so
It may seem obvious to you but it wasn't for many. I'm too lazy to search and bring back the old thread but you'd be surprised as to how many thought it was a bright move.

John Doe
01-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Was there that much difference in the results before and after Rob?

He ruined the defense? It was ruined the year before as well.

Turf
01-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Meanwhile our front office can't say anything, just that we will spin it anyway we want to.

Mace
01-06-2017, 06:32 PM
It may seem obvious to you but it wasn't for many. I'm too lazy to search and bring back the old thread but you'd be surprised as to how many thought it was a bright move.

Nuance, hombre.

I despised Rob Ryan, but figured Rex might as well go all in with anything that might help his futile concept, so I thought it was a good idea because it gave the best chance for a bad scheme to work, without thinking it would really work.

swiper
01-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Rob Ryan has failed everywhere.

YardRat
01-06-2017, 06:58 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/232107-Rob-Ryan-to-join-Bills-staff

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/232134-Rob-is-Rex-Rex-is-Rob-We-re-doomed

One of my better posts, if I do say so myself...

Help me out here...

Barnum and Bailey?
Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumass?
Pinkie and The Brain?
The Ambiguously Meh Duo?

kingJofNYC
01-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Why was it bad in 2015?

I mean, I'm sure Rob had his hand in this **** show, but D was **** for two years. Mike Pettine was Rex's glue on D.

YardRat
01-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Pettine's defense wasn't much better than Wrecks', especially against the run. It was Wrecks-Lite.

ICRockets
01-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Pettine's defense wasn't much better than Wrecks', especially against the run. It was Wrecks-Lite.

It was significantly better against the pass, I'd argue. And that's been the knock on Rob's defense his entire career. Dallas' weakness? Their secondary. Saints' weakness? Their secondary. Our weakness? Well, the Ryan brothers together proved there's nothing you can't make worse when you combine the forces of stupid.

On the bright side, if you buy into the credo of Spaceballs, Rob and Rex Ryan are really, really good people.

YardRat
01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
It was significantly better against the pass, I'd argue. And that's been the knock on Rob's defense his entire career. Dallas' weakness? Their secondary. Saints' weakness? Their secondary. Our weakness? Well, the Ryan brothers together proved there's nothing you can't make worse when you combine the forces of stupid.

On the bright side, if you buy into the credo of Spaceballs, Rob and Rex Ryan are really, really good people.
It was 'better' against the pass, because teams didn't have to throw the ball they just ran it down our throats.

Mace
01-06-2017, 08:14 PM

Pettine had them on a better track after 1 year of conversion to scheme than Pops Ryan did in 2. If you remember also they were more aggressive and unpredictable, and, they still had Donnie Henderson coaching DB's. Doesn't mean they were on par with Schwartz, but means Pettine even had more adaptability than Ryans did.

kingJofNYC
01-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Bills D was #4 overall in DVOA under Pettine, so you're wrong. Sacked the qb, created turnovers, run D wasnt great but it was a top unit overall. You don't need to be that strong against the run to be a good unit, good teams pass the ball more than they run. Schwartz got the D to number#2 in dvoa.

Mahdi
01-06-2017, 08:43 PM
I actually thought at the time that bringing in Rob who was familiar with the system was a good move after the lack of understanding of the system in year 1.

stuckincincy
01-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Like I told everyone on this board the moment we signed that fat useless ****. Rob Ryan is a ****ing loser. Him being a good "defensive mind" is nothing short of complete and absolute bull****. His numbers are out for everyone to see. He has been a complete disaster most of his career. I still remember all the posters that called it a good move because and I quote ..... "It can't hurt to have another defensive mind"

**** the Ryan family<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> player said that Rob Ryan -- not Rex -- was the problem. Rob was basically the team's DC in 2016. &quot;He changed everything.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817469886419103745">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bills defensive player on Rob Ryan's D: &quot;Players hated it. Everything we played was dictated off the offense. We had no identity.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817470811363745793">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">More from this <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> player on D: &quot;Rob ruined our whole defense. He took over everything. ... He confused us.&quot; Called it a &quot;disaster.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/817469637663268866">January 6, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Whiny millionaires a unified team does not make.

Mouldsie
01-06-2017, 11:39 PM
Bills D was #4 overall in DVOA under Pettine, so you're wrong. Sacked the qb, created turnovers, run D wasnt great but it was a top unit overall. You don't need to be that strong against the run to be a good unit, good teams pass the ball more than they run. Schwartz got the D to number#2 in dvoa.
Yeah Pettine had that unit rolling. I'd welcome him back if it came to it. I believe Rex's D's were also substantially better when MP was in NY.

WagonCircler
01-07-2017, 03:14 AM
Just one question.

During all this time...

who was General Manager?

Topas
01-07-2017, 03:54 AM
WHO is MP?

YardRat
01-07-2017, 05:01 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/228741-Comparing-defenses-2013-to-2014/page2?highlight=Pettine

They were better against the pass, but getting gashed on the ground will do that for your stats. Ranked in the top 10 in 5 of 11 categories, compared to Schwartz (10 of 11, and the last one was 11th) and Wrecks first season (2 of 11).

YardRat
01-07-2017, 05:02 AM
WHO is MP?

Mike Pettine.

sudzy
01-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Terry should have never let this happen. Rob is one of the worst DC ever. You can't blame Rex for wanting to help his brother and give him a job. But, once he did you knew he would never fire him and Rex would be doomed to fail. That is way someone higher up that was emotionally invested had to say "NO."

swiper
01-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Terry should have never let this happen. Rob is one of the worst DC ever. You can't blame Rex for wanting to help his brother and give him a job. But, once he did you knew he would never fire him and Rex would be doomed to fail. That is way someone higher up that was emotionally invested had to say "NO."

Exactly. We all could have/should have (I did) predict where the team is now when this hire was allowed to happen.

justasportsfan
01-07-2017, 09:22 AM

This is why it was easy to let Rex go. Terry gave him what he asked for. Rex wanted Tyrod..here you go. Rex wanted players that fit his defensive scheme, here you go. Rex wanted Roman , Henderson gone and his brother in , here you go.

Now Rex cannot say he wasnt given what he asked for to succeed.

Ciao

kingJofNYC
01-07-2017, 01:55 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/228741-Comparing-defenses-2013-to-2014/page2?highlight=Pettine

They were better against the pass, but getting gashed on the ground will do that for your stats. Ranked in the top 10 in 5 of 11 categories, compared to Schwartz (10 of 11, and the last one was 11th) and Wrecks first season (2 of 11).

Our ST units were last in the league in dvoa, they put the D in bad situations in 2013, along with the O. DVOA adjusts and accounts for these situations. If the D is on the field all day they're going to give up yards, especially if the st doesn't turn field position. DVOA is good metric, yards can be skewed for a variety of reasons.

Mouldsie
01-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Just one question.

During all this time...

who was General Manager?

We know that Whaley was GM but he was not in charge of Rex, Terry and Russ were.

ublinkwescore
01-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Why the **** is Kim Pegula allowed to have any say in who this team hires as head coach. That is my biggest problem with this team.

Mace
01-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Why the **** is Kim Pegula allowed to have any say in who this team hires as head coach. That is my biggest problem with this team.

Imho, she should be making every decision and holding all the press conferences. Why can people not leave this poor enchanting creature alone ? Her only crime is being a victim of this wretched circumstance because she sought to love and support an obvious madman like Terry.

YardRat
01-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Our ST units were last in the league in dvoa, they put the D in bad situations in 2013, along with the O. DVOA adjusts and accounts for these situations. If the D is on the field all day they're going to give up yards, especially if the st doesn't turn field position. DVOA is good metric, yards can be skewed for a variety of reasons.

If the special teams are giving up good field position, than there aren't as many yards to gain on the defense.

Pettine's defense was pathetic against the run, plain and simple. 28th. It inflated the appearance of the passing D.

Wrecks' defense this year was 29th against the run. Against the pass? 6th.

Where's all of the hoopla over how good the secondary played this season? Oh that's right...they didn't.

Coincidence? I think not.

kingJofNYC
01-07-2017, 07:00 PM
If the special teams are giving up good field position, than there aren't as many yards to gain on the defense.

Pettine's defense was pathetic against the run, plain and simple. 28th. It inflated the appearance of the passing D.

Wrecks' defense this year was 29th against the run. Against the pass? 6th.

Where's all of the hoopla over how good the secondary played this season? Oh that's right...they didn't.

Coincidence? I think not.

You're still using yards as the sole metric, we've advanced from that point, join use in the 21st century and introduce yourself to Dvoa. It adjusts for many things, Pettines D was good, Rexs bad, case closed.

Mace
01-07-2017, 07:41 PM
You can be satisfied about the Ryans heading off with suitable pain. When Buddy died they said they dedicated the season to him, and together they were invincible, yada yada. Instead they disgraced themselves and ushered the last Ryan based hybrid defense into the outhouse hole.

I wouldn't want to die anytime soon if I were either, Buddy will not be happy, and will slap them around in front of everyone else who died. By the same token I wouldn't want to live long because Buddy will be disturbing them with anger in the dark hrs of the nights, appearing in mirrors, hiding their keys and such.

swiper
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Mace has a crush.

YardRat
01-08-2017, 05:54 PM
You're still using yards as the sole metric, we've advanced from that point, join use in the 21st century and introduce yourself to Dvoa. It adjusts for many things, Pettines D was good, Rexs bad, case closed.

DVOA...blah...blah...QBR...blah...blah...new stats are better than old stats...yada...yada.

Pettine's defense was frustrating as hell against the run...go back and watch the games, or simply try and recall them.

Pettine's defense was better than Wannstadt and ultimately Wrecks. Big deal, that's not exactly a difficult benchmark to surpass.

Was it 'good'? Guess that depends on your perception. They got sacks...they created turnovers...I'll give them that. I'd say they were closer to 'average', all things considered. The bottom line, however, is a defense still needs to stop the run to help the team win ball games, and Pettine's D didn't help much at all.

Mace
01-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Mace has a crush.

You lost me on that one, hombre.