• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Dumping Tyrod right now is Stupid

Tyrod Taylor has elevated the Bills' offense in his two seasons since arriving in Buffalo. But will the team pick up his option? Our two NFL insiders cover that and more in this week's notebook.

Buffalo is instead planning to move on from Taylor, despite the fact that their scoring has increased dramatically since he arrived. The year before he got to Buffalo, the Bills were 26th, and they've been 10th and 11th in the two years he has started. He's clearly a huge part of the difference.

He also was seventh in Total QBR last season, and ninth in 2016. People in that company get major dollars.

-- Adam Schefter

Couldn't agree more. He also doesn't turn the ball over...
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Dumping Tyrod right now is Stupid

I don't see how they do better with whats out there. If they don't improve at QB, another wasted two years and another coach fired, and hopefully Whaley with them I am really starting to hate Whaley as GM. Not just dislike, but despise the way he handles his royal robes. Everything he does is arrogant.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• jimmifli
      • Nov 2006

I read somewhere today that this contract puts him 17th for cap hit for QBs. I'm not sure I can name 16 better QBs, maybe, but not many more. And almost none of them are available.

So as dumb as the contract is, it's still close to market value. Which is pretty good since we got this season for a discount.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

I can't agree. Because why did their scoring increase dramatically ? The running game.

2014 - 23 passing td's, 7 rushing td's.
        2015 - 23 passing, 19 rushing.
        2016 - 17 passing, 29 rushing.

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
          http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-buffalo-bills

Buffalo is instead planning to move on from Taylor, despite the fact that their scoring has increased dramatically since he arrived. The year before he got to Buffalo, the Bills were 26th, and they've been 10th and 11th in the two years he has started. He's clearly a huge part of the difference.

He also was seventh in Total QBR last season, and ninth in 2016. People in that company get major dollars.

-- Adam Schefter

Couldn't agree more. He also doesn't turn the ball over...
          ****ING STOP USING THAT STUPID QBR STAT. IT IS A FAKE STAT. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO BE TOLD. NO ONE PUTS ANY MERIT TO IT EXCEPT ESPN WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE INVENTED IT.

Read this, then NEVER bring up that stupid stat ever again: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-tom-brady/

Comment

• Thurmal
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            I can't agree. Because why did their scoring increase dramatically ? The running game.

Amazing how many Tyrod backers just ignore the fact that his emergence as starter coincided perfectly with the Bills picking up one of the best RBs of the last 25 years in his prime.
            "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Swiper
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Turf View Post
              I don't see how they do better with whats out there. If they don't improve at QB, another wasted two years and another coach fired, and hopefully Whaley with them I am really starting to hate Whaley as GM. Not just dislike, but despise the way he handles his royal robes. Everything he does is arrogant.
              But don't you have sympathy after he pulled that sad "I don't really have any power" card earlier this week?

Comment

• ICRockets
                Childish Fake Voter
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                ****ING STOP USING THAT STUPID QBR STAT. IT IS A FAKE STAT. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO BE TOLD. NO ONE PUTS ANY MERIT TO IT EXCEPT ESPN WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE INVENTED IT.

Read this, then NEVER bring up that stupid stat ever again: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-tom-brady/
                Using one article from the middle of the season to declare that the statistic has NO value whatsoever is pretty myopic. Look at the final rankings of both 2015 and 2016 and the majority of that list makes a lot of sense. Obviously it's not the grand poobah of quarterback performance evaluators, but it has its value as part of a complete breakf- err, uh, analysis.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

You do know that Taylor had 22% of the team's rushing yards in 2016, right? He's a big reason why the running game got better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed in his progress. I just don't see any better possibilities being available. We are basically going to have to either try to win with Tyrod or go full on rebuild because we aren't going to find someone equal or better.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICRockets
                    Childish Fake Voter
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    We are basically going to have to either try to win with Tyrod or go full on rebuild because we aren't going to find someone equal or better.
                    Yep. And logic dictates that making Tyrod a fixed variable in our experiment should make it easier to build around him. Nature may abhor vacuums, but chaos reigns supreme in one and that's exactly what we'd be creating by getting rid of him.

Comment

• Zero
                      Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      You do know that Taylor had 22% of the team's rushing yards in 2016, right? He's a big reason why the running game got better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed in his progress. I just don't see any better possibilities being available. We are basically going to have to either try to win with Tyrod or go full on rebuild because we aren't going to find someone equal or better.
                      this^^

The contract's balloon payment should not preclude us from keeping Tyrod as he's better than any alternative out there.

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
                        Using one article from the middle of the season to declare that the statistic has NO value whatsoever is pretty myopic. Look at the final rankings of both 2015 and 2016 and the majority of that list makes a lot of sense. Obviously it's not the grand poobah of quarterback performance evaluators, but it has its value as part of a complete breakf- err, uh, analysis.
                        Read the article fatboy. It's not even a statistic. You could stand to be more myopic when your dinner is served every night.

Comment

• Swiper
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                          this^^
                          This... is stupid. I want a QB not a RB wearing a QB number.

Comment

• Thurmal
                            • Oct 2005

Yards Taylor threw for in his wins in Buffalo:

195, 277, 109, 181, 158, 211, 179, 182, 119, 246, 124, 179, 166, 166, 174.

He's a decent game-manager, yes. He is not a guy that you pick up an option on that will pay him $27 million next year and guarantee him $30 million. For a team in cap trouble, they can get comparable numbers from someone else and save a boatload of money.
                            Last edited by Thurmal; 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM.
                            "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

Taylor probably accounts for 1/3 of the running stat. I don't feel like this team can run the ball when it needs to. It's inflated by Tyrods scrambling. This offensive line isn't as good as everyone thinks.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X