PDA

View Full Version : Which college QB is better Pat Mahomes or Davis Webb

BuffaloBlitz83
01-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Both have size and an arm.

I think both will be there in round 2. How's these 2 translate to next level?

stuckincincy
01-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Sorry -I don't know these players.

Mouldsie
01-08-2017, 12:58 AM
Mahomes was the better college player and I think has the edge but I haven't studied either enough yet

Skooby
01-08-2017, 01:53 AM
We are going to trade our second round pick for a higher first to show our ability to waste resources.

Ingtar33
01-08-2017, 04:09 AM
I've looked at Webb, Webb looks like late round trash to me.

Not sure about Mahomes, haven't looked at him yet.

Fixxxer
01-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Mitch Trubisky.

YardRat
01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
How big are their hands?

Ingtar33
01-08-2017, 11:59 AM
ok, looked at Mahomes, terrible footwork, but unlike most QBs he has the arm to overcome it; of course he has the problem most QBs have with bad footwork, which is the football is scattershot, sometimes on target sometimes in the stands, he does have consistently the best deep ball of the QBs I've looked at. His offense doesn't ask him to really make any reads, and I don't see him make many. Mostly just throws it to his first read. The ball comes out fast. Gotta say he throws a lot of pro-quality footballs. ok in the pocket, what I liked about him is he LIKES throwing from the pocket, which most spread QBs just don't like doing. If I was in a front office I'd have him rated somewhere around the 3rd round, though considering the dearth of QB prospects in this draft, this kid might end up going in round 2. He reminds me of Brett Farvre, I mean the mechanics are a disaster yet he somehow seems to always have enough arm to get the ball there, still he definately doesn't have Farvre's cannon.

between Mahomes and Webb, Mahomes is a much better prospect. Webb can't even hold Mahomes' jock.

Night Train
01-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Sorry -I don't know these players.

Awesome

How big are their hands?

http://17663-presscdn-0-49.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/bighands.jpg

Webb was playing well and starting at Texas Tech and hurt his ankle in 2014, replaced by Mahomes. He then transferred to Cal for his final year in 2016 after Mahomes got hot and remained the starter. Cal needed a QB after Goff went #1 overall.

Mahomes can sling it,has good touch but throws far too many passes off his back foot. That won't fly on Sundays.

Webb looks like he has better mechanics and zips a nice ball in tight windows.

Still, this is NOT a draft where you pick a QB high.

trapezeus
01-08-2017, 02:25 PM
I like mahomes as a prospect. He also seems to have an IT factor. I realize they aren't national champs but he looks very confident and gets results in the game or two I saw. Obviously his YouTube highlights look good.

The little i saw on web, he's a dink and dunker. So many quick screens from shot gun. And I didn't think, wow he got the ball out fast. I thought, this offense blows

BuffaloBlitz83
01-08-2017, 02:47 PM
ok, looked at Mahomes, terrible footwork, but unlike most QBs he has the arm to overcome it; of course he has the problem most QBs have with bad footwork, which is the football is scattershot, sometimes on target sometimes in the stands, he does have consistently the best deep ball of the QBs I've looked at. His offense doesn't ask him to really make any reads, and I don't see him make many. Mostly just throws it to his first read. The ball comes out fast. Gotta say he throws a lot of pro-quality footballs. ok in the pocket, what I liked about him is he LIKES throwing from the pocket, which most spread QBs just don't like doing. If I was in a front office I'd have him rated somewhere around the 3rd round, though considering the dearth of QB prospects in this draft, this kid might end up going in round 2. He reminds me of Brett Farvre, I mean the mechanics are a disaster yet he somehow seems to always have enough arm to get the ball there, still he definately doesn't have Farvre's cannon.

between Mahomes and Webb, Mahomes is a much better prospect. Webb can't even hold Mahomes' jock.

Would you say both are better prospects than Chad Kelly?

And do they look like better prospects than Cardale coming out of Ohio state?

Goobylal
01-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Might be worth taking Kelly in the 5th and rolling with him, Cardale, and a cheap vet. Then decide after the season what to do in 2018.

Mouldsie
01-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Mahomes > Kelly > Webb >>> Cardale

based on my casual viewing

Mad Max
01-08-2017, 04:29 PM
I take Mahomes in the second round without blinking. I probably take him in the first to be honest.

He's in the bonkers "Air Raid Offense" which will inflate his numbers, but what he has I think is going to translate nicely as a pro. Big arm talent, size, speed, pocket awareness, escapability (always looking to pass before he runs)...he's a winner.

Also so he has had no protection at all, due to the nature of the offense/talent of OL and he still did what he did.

Lets get him.

Ingtar33
01-08-2017, 05:39 PM

Mahomes is a better prospect then Chad Kelly, Kelly is better then Webb.

and Mahomes and Kelly look better then Jones coming out. I would take Jones over Webb.

Seriously webb is a guy you draft in the 7th round. He shouldn't be getting any talk.

Mace
01-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Mahomes is a better prospect then Chad Kelly, Kelly is better then Webb.

and Mahomes and Kelly look better then Jones coming out. I would take Jones over Webb.

Seriously webb is a guy you draft in the 7th round. He shouldn't be getting any talk.

In the scouting forum, Draftboy mentioned that Mahomes plays in a gimmick "air raid" offense. Shotgun, pass-centric, run and shootish. Was a good point (I liked Mahomes before thinking about it more, back to unsure). Any thoughts on whether he's handicapped by that ?

DraftBoy
01-08-2017, 07:16 PM

There have been a few people who say if you take Mahomes, you don't take him thinking you need to fix his mechanics you just live with it. Similar to when Rivers was coming out regarding his mechanics.

Mace
01-08-2017, 07:24 PM
There have been a few people who say if you take Mahomes, you don't take him thinking you need to fix his mechanics you just live with it. Similar to when Rivers was coming out regarding his mechanics.

Might be, but sure enough my early enthusiasm has waned. Really like his arm...but well...air raid, spread, shotgun, mechanics. Back on the fence like I figured.

Ingtar33
01-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Might be, but sure enough my early enthusiasm has waned. Really like his arm...but well...air raid, spread, shotgun, mechanics. Back on the fence like I figured.

He doesn't really read defenses much in his offense. So I'm not sure how he'd do in the pros. You pretty much just can look at the type of throws he makes and the tight windows he throws into, and decide if that is completed or intercepted in the pros.

Mahomes is alright. Not horribly scattershot, but it does happen. He makes all the pro throws, throws in tight windows too, however i just don't see him doing any real reading of the defense either.

BillsImpossible
01-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Patrick Mahomes II is 6'3 230 lbs

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_FY0MdW3smM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
01-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Davis Webb is 6'5 232 lbs

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F5xB92859-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mace
01-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Patrick Mahomes II is 6'3 230 lbs

Pair of trebuchets, Imp.

BillsImpossible
01-08-2017, 08:19 PM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/patrick-mahomes-1/gamelog/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/davis-webb-1/gamelog/

I gotta go with Patrick Mahomes II.

Mace
01-08-2017, 08:32 PM
This is creepy though :

BillsImpossible
01-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Kliff Klingsbury...

That's gross.

elltrain22
01-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Both are good prospects, but Mahomes is a player I'd be very excited to see. They both have potential, but if Mahomes learns to improve his footwork, he is going to be a very good QB. I worry that he comes from an offense that is primarily a one read offense, but most college qbs have that same problem. If he can learn to hit 2nd & 3rd reads is what will make him great, which is a huge if for any college QB.

With that said, I'd be on board with him in the 2nd round & probably would be cool if we took him 1st