Whatever Happened To The Curl Route/Button Hook or Hitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Whatever Happened To The Curl Route/Button Hook or Hitch?

When is the last time you saw an NFL wide receiver or tight end run a button hook route?

I'm presuming that everyone here knows what a curl route is....a receiver runs 10 to 15 yards, stops abruptly and then runs back 3 or 4 yards for a catch.

You don't see it very often, why not?

If a wide receiver can stop on a dime, and run back towards a pass, one would think that a button hook/curl route would be the most difficult to defend.

So why isn't it used more often?

• Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Whatever Happened To The Curl Route/Button Hook or Hitch?

Bills receivers run them all the time, except they run out 15 yards, then run back 14 and either linger along the line, try to draw defenders away from a running lane for the QB, try to block someone when he runs, or catch a sweet pass at the line of scrimmage for no yards because all the defenders are already there anyway, except for at least one guy running around in the open downfield waving his arms with no one near him (he was probably running the wrong route and wasn't 1 of the 2 reads).
    Last edited by Mace; 01-08-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

That was basically Nate Hackett's entire offense with EJ

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        That was basically Nate Hackett's entire offense with EJ
        lol, good one Illuminatus.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

You gotta have a QB and WR who know how to run the route right. Neither EJ or Tyrod are the ideal QB for those types of routes.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ICRockets
            Childish Fake Voter
            • Jul 2008

I wonder why anyone runs anything BUT the curl route against Gilmore. I've never once seen him cover it properly.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
              I wonder why anyone runs anything BUT the curl route against Gilmore. I've never once seen him cover it properly.
              Technically the route, if run correctly, should be unstoppable against man coverage. The WR should sell the fly route so hard that the CB flips his hips. Once that happens, roughly 7-9 yards into the route, the WR should break the route off and hitch. Should give him 2-3 yards of separation every time. The QB should throw the ball before the WR hitches the route at the end of his three step drop.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

Isn't that the whole Patriots offense along with the WR screen with blockers in front and the infamous pick plays?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                  When is the last time you saw an NFL wide receiver or tight end run a button hook route?
                  This route is probably run 30 times every single game in the NFL - wonderful observation there Copernicus.

Comment

• Homegrown
                    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                    • Jul 2008

The "Simms to Bavaro" curl route was unstoppable in Tecmo Bowl .....

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

Edelman runs this a ton.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

Better question in Buffalo is what ever happened to the quick hitter slant pattern.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• jimmifli
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          Technically the route, if run correctly, should be unstoppable against man coverage. The WR should sell the fly route so hard that the CB flips his hips. Once that happens, roughly 7-9 yards into the route, the WR should break the route off and hitch. Should give him 2-3 yards of separation every time. The QB should throw the ball before the WR hitches the route at the end of his three step drop.
                          That's essentially Tom Brady, except instead of curls/hooks it's a route that leaves the WR running parallel with the LoS or a slant. And it's often paired with a pick or some other type of interference. And last but not least if the WR detects zone they just sit down and collect 200 before passing go. Put it all together for an 85% completion rate on short throws.

Start sitting on the short stuff and they'll nail you with double moves because their line can actually pass block. And if you blitz, well **** this is a bills board that has seen enough of that.

Timing wins.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Watch other games, you'll see that stuff like this hasn't left the NFL.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Well, at least this explains the 'Cardale Jones is the Bills next Franchise QB' thread. A lot.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X