PDA

View Full Version : College Championship: Which prospects could/should be Bills next year?

Ed
01-09-2017, 04:42 PM
A bunch of players from tonight's game are expected to be drafted in the first round this year, let alone the whole draft. I've already seen quite a few players from Bama and Clemson being regularly mocked to the Bills, so I'm interested in which players some of you are most interested in watching. Are there any players you really like or don't like? What are some less known players that could be good pickups in round 2 and beyond? I don't watch a lot of college football, but since this game has a lot of prospects I'm curious to hear any thoughts before, during, or after the game.

I'm probably most interested in watching WR Mike Williams since he's an intriguing player and looks like a definite possibility at #10.

Night Train
01-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Alabama has 5 guys in the top 16.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Luisito23
01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
I'll get back to you after the game...The player I'm excited to see though is Watson, he will rise like crazy after tonight.

YardRat
01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
I would run to the podium if Cam Robinson is still there.

EDS
01-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Alabama's defense is loaded with NFL caliber talent.

I would be very reluctant to take a WR at 10, particularly one with a significant neck injury in his recent past.

Ed
01-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Alabama has 5 guys in the top 16.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings
Yeah I've seen some mocks with 7 or 8 Alabama players going in the first. And I've seen OT Robinson, CB Humphrey, and OLB T. Williams all going to the Bills at 10.

YardRat
01-09-2017, 04:57 PM
I wish Humphrey would have decided to stay for one more season.

Ed
01-09-2017, 05:01 PM
I would run to the podium if Cam Robinson is still there.
Is Robinson that good? This seems like a really weak OL class and Robinson is just benefiting as a result and being projected higher than he should be. There seem to be quite a few concerns about him at the next level for a guy that's the top OT. I'd rather just roll with Kouandjio in 2017.

YardRat
01-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Is Robinson that good? This seems like a really weak OL class and Robinson is just benefiting as a result and being projected higher than he should be. There seem to be quite a few concerns about him at the next level for a guy that's the top OT. I'd rather just roll with Kouandjio in 2017.

It is a weak draft for offensive linemen.
Maybe in other years there would be linemen ranked above him.

The bottom line is he's a top 10-15 talent regardless of those factors.

He's big, great at run blocking, adequate at pass blocking, can anchor and also moves well enough. Maybe not top-notch athletic enough to play the left side, but definitely RT material (although that doesn't mean as much as it used to).

Ed
01-09-2017, 05:13 PM
It is a weak draft for offensive linemen.
Maybe in other years there would be linemen ranked above him.

The bottom line is he's a top 10-15 talent regardless of those factors.

He's big, great at run blocking, adequate at pass blocking, can anchor and also moves well enough. Maybe not top-notch athletic enough to play the left side, but definitely RT material (although that doesn't mean as much as it used to).
I've read conflicting things about him, but he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on. I found it interesting that in the cbs link Night Train provided, under Robinson's player profile, his "player comparison" is Cordy Glenn.

Night Train
01-09-2017, 05:19 PM

My reading says he's a RT and the Bills might kick Glenn over there. Kouandjio looked solid at LT the last few games.

Ed
01-09-2017, 05:29 PM
My reading says he's a RT and the Bills might kick Glenn over there. Kouandjio looked solid at LT the last few games.
Kouandjio is still only 23 years old and seems to finally be developing into the player people hoped he'd be, but he just wasn't ready right out the gate. It doesn't make sense to me to now use a top 10 pick to try and replace him with what appears to be a fairly similar player. Unless they're convinced that Kouandjio just isn't that good and Robinson is the real deal.

YardRat
01-09-2017, 06:03 PM

I'd be OK with that. I'd be even better with three solid OT's.

DraftBoy
01-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Clemson
QB Watson
RB Gallman
WR Williams
WR Scott
TE Leggett
DT Watkins
CB Tankersley
LB Boulware

Alabama
WR Stewart
WR/TE/HB Dieter
TE Howard
OT Robinson
DE Allen
LB Williams
LB Foster
CB Humphrey
CB/S Brown

YardRat
01-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Love OJ Howard.

Kenny
01-09-2017, 08:23 PM
I wish Humphrey would have decided to stay for one more season.
any reason? havent really watched him, but he seems to be the top rated cb right now, and I think @ #10, unless Hooker or that safety from LSU drops, Humphrey fills a huge need.

DesertFox24
01-09-2017, 08:39 PM
I am so happy Watson is playing like poop he is tim tebow all over again. Bad mechanics not accurate unless wide open and only half field reads. Please do not take whaley

Mace
01-09-2017, 08:54 PM
I still can't comprehend why people want to replace the LT with a maybe because he had a few games where he was ok, after a few years of not where he can't even beat out Jordan Mills. Especially when he's coming up on the end of his rookie contract and you can't really think to be paying 2 tackles LT money. Glenn's not going to renegotiate because well, he's a proven vet LT.

You want an RT, Kouandjio ? Well no, he can't play RT. That's because he's depth. Get an RT. Heh, that's not the LT.

Turf
01-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Watsons not impressing me at all.

BillsImpossible
01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Been waiting for Carlos Watkins to make a big play...

All I want for the Bills defense is a big fat anchor in the middle of their defense to free up Dareus, Williams, and Hughes.

Mace
01-09-2017, 09:03 PM
We have a big fat anchor weighing everything down already though, Imp. Dareus.

kingJofNYC
01-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Foster is a top 10 talent, way better than Ragland. If the top S is off the board we should scoop him up, he won't be there though. Remember, Preston Brown is a free agent after next season, he has no range to cover. A guy like Foster changes that, we got a cover backer, and a strong side backer for the run in Ragland. Love me Foster, one of the better prospects to come out of Bama in the last few years. Whenever I watched Ragland last season I kept thinking wow, can I get Foster instead?

BillsImpossible
01-09-2017, 09:18 PM
We have a big fat anchor weighing everything down already though, Imp. Dareus.

Dareus is not a true Nose Tackle, he's a 4-3 DT.

I hope the Bills go back to a 4-3 and play to the strength of their defensive talent.

DraftBoy
01-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Foster is a top 10 talent, way better than Ragland. If the top S is off the board we should scoop him up, he won't be there though. Remember, Preston Brown is a free agent after next season, he has no range to cover. A guy like Foster changes that, we got a cover backer, and a strong side backer for the run in Ragland. Love me Foster, one of the better prospects to come out of Bama in the last few years. Whenever I watched Ragland last season I kept thinking wow, can I get Foster instead?

I'm not sure I'd say Foster is way better than Ragland because they are different players. Ragland is a technician, he knows how to read and react, he is a sound tackler, and he excels at filling the hole. Foster is an athletic freak who hits like a mack truck. Both have concerns but both are really good. Foster will go earlier due to his athleticism.

DraftBoy
01-10-2017, 07:15 AM
Clemson
QB Watson - Showed you the good and bad Watson last night. Kid is a gamer who isn't afraid of any throw or to take a hit. However, he can get caught trying to aim the ball rather than just throw it and his accuracy is hot and cold.
RB Gallman - Showed good burst and power to run through some of the tackles last night. His balance is better than I thought we saw last night.
WR Williams - Kid had a hell of a night. After nearly getting knocked unconscious in the first half he comes back and balls out in the second half. His size, speed, and body control are the best in the class and his ability to go up and fight for the ball is something the Bills haven't had since Moulds.
WR Scott - Slot/Return guy at the next level, he's quick and slippery with soft hands. Ideal for a Anthony Lynn type offense.
TE Leggett - Inconsistent hands and below average blocking. Leggett will make some amazing catches (see 4th Q) but then make some boneheaded drops (see 1st Q).
DT Watkins - Was really good in the middle holding his ground and eating up blockers. He's not the most athletic DL but he had six tackles last night.
CB Tankersley - The lack of a Bama passing game didn't really allow him to show much. He got beat a few times by Ridley and Stewart though.
LB Boulware - Emotional leader of the Tigers and a guy who is 150% effort all the time. Good instincts but has a tendency to over pursue. Not ideal working through traffic but he is athletic enough to beat the pulling OL to the spot.

Alabama
WR Stewart - Again the lack of an Alabama passing attack hampered Stewart who was open often. His WR pass in the 4th Q shows some of his versatility.
WR/TE/HB Dieter - Showed good hands on the fair catches but had a pretty big drop early on.
TE Howard - Clearly the best TE in college football. He got beat badly on a blocking attempt early in the game but came back to be the key block on Scarborough first TE run. Athletic freak who can play in-line or split wide.
OT Robinson - Up and down day for Robinson. Got flagged multiple times and seemed to struggle with Ferrell before he got hurt. When Bama was running Robinson was able to bury his man but he looked shaky in pass pro.
DE Allen - Quietish night for Allen despite having 7 tackles and a sack. Didn't really push the pocket as much as I expected but he got some pressure a few times.
LB Williams - Invisible all night, recorded only two tackles and I don't think he got close to Watson even once.
LB Foster - Frieght train. He nearly decapitated Watson in the first quarter and very easily could of been ejected. His athleticism makes up for any misteps he takes, and when he get downhill watch out.
CB Humphrey - Humphrey had a good game and is a potentially really special DB. He can play anywhere on the field and Bama had him all over. Got flagged a few times but his cover skills were evident.
CB/S Brown - Brown was the guy who I really thought got away with targeting for his hit on Williams. He's a hybrid player who sometimes struggles in coverage. Had a solid game last night.

DesertFox24
01-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Watson is tebow all over again I hope someone else takes him. Give me Mike Williams

sukie
01-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Clemson

WR Williams

Alabama

LB Williams

Great draft. Fills a couple of holes

Ed
01-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Awesome game last night. I missed some of the first half, but I thoroughly enjoyed that second half. I'm glad Clemson won, but I kind of wish they had to settle for the FG at the end just to see them duke it out in OT.

If I had to take any of these players at #10 I think I'm still leaning towards WR Mike Williams if he were available. I guess Humphrey would be my second choice assuming we don't re-sign Gilmore. But if Humphrey is versatile enough to play anywhere like draftboy said, maybe he's a good pick at 10 either way. I'm also assuming Jonathan Allen is almost a lock for the top 5. With that being said, I think I'm still hoping for either S Malik Hooker (OSU) or S Jamal Adams (LSU) to be there at 10.

DraftBoy
01-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Great draft. Fills a couple of holes

Pass on Tim Williams.

BUFF Bills
01-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Why doesn't anyone talk about Dabo Swinney for the next Bills head coaching job? I'd gladly take him over any of the players from these teams...

DraftBoy
01-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Why doesn't anyone talk about Dabo Swinney for the next Bills head coaching job? I'd gladly take him over any of the players from these teams...

Because the only job he's leaving Clemson for is Alabama.

BUFF Bills
01-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Because the only job he's leaving Clemson for is Alabama.

LOL

sukie
01-10-2017, 11:19 AM
His name is "Williams" for crying out loud.

- - - Updated - - -

Pass on Tim Williams.

DraftBoy
01-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Meh, I'd prefer we build up our Smith quota.

kingJofNYC
01-10-2017, 03:55 PM
We have to get Foster if we go with Bradley as DC, or McDermott. The range is insane, Brown will get wrecked, he's awful.

YardRat
01-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Clemson
WR Williams
WR Scott
DT Watkins
LB Boulware
Alabama
TE Howard
OT Robinson
DE Allen
LB Foster