alohabillsfan
01-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Woot

EDS
01-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Huge step up from Rex.

psubills62
01-11-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm interested, but want to see who the coordinators are.

Novacane
01-11-2017, 02:47 PM
This is as good as we could of hoped for. I like it!

madness
01-11-2017, 02:51 PM
McCoy better have been part of the deal!

justasportsfan
01-11-2017, 02:52 PM

If not, Norv Turner?

sudzy
01-11-2017, 02:54 PM
He was the best of the four choices

alohabillsfan
01-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Still like to see Gus Bradley as D.C. And McCoy as OC

DraftBoy
01-11-2017, 02:57 PM
If not McCoy then it needs to be Bill Musgrave.

swiper
01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
I like this too. But Whaley and Brandon are still part of the organization. And I have read various reports saying Whaley would control roster and some that said the new coach would have final say.

Mike13
01-11-2017, 03:13 PM
On paper its a good hire for you guys. Anything would be an improvement over Rex.

TacklingDummy
01-11-2017, 03:18 PM
I don't care who they hire at HC, he will fail just like Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Marrone, and Ryan if he doesn't get a Quarterback.

The Jokeman
01-11-2017, 03:19 PM
John Butler, no not THAT John Butler, Secondary coach of Texans could be the DC. http://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-John-Butler-has-ties-to-Bills-HC-target-10849220.php

Zoneblitser
01-11-2017, 03:22 PM
I think this is certainly a Whaley hire that allows him to maintain complete control of operations.
If this does not work out then I expect nothing less than a complete rebuild from the ground up.
That means both Whaley and Brandon need to go and the complete revamping of football operations must take place.
I hope for the best but expect status quo.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Probably the least exciting Bills HC hire since Gregg Williams.

Meh.

Maybe it'll work!

The Jokeman
01-11-2017, 03:36 PM
John Butler, no not THAT John Butler, Secondary coach of Texans could be the DC. http://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-John-Butler-has-ties-to-Bills-HC-target-10849220.php

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000772857/article/sean-mcdermott-expected-to-become-bills-head-coach says Panthers LB coach Al Holcomb favorite to be DC.

DraftBoy
01-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Meh.

Maybe it'll work!

I think McDermott is one of our most exciting hires from a football standpoint.

cookie G
01-11-2017, 04:06 PM
If not McCoy then it needs to be Bill Musgrave.

I'd prefer either of those two, but I'm one of the few that wouldn't absolutely hate Lynn coming back as OC.

*Wonders if Brandon is done googling "Sean McDermott to find out who his next coach is.?

Homegrown
01-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Hopefully he doesn't adhere to the philosophy that "punting is a good thing" , which has afflicted Bills coaches this century....

chris66
01-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Just another coordinator that will have nothing to do with the other side of the ball.
If they go 8-8 next year you guys will want him fired.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Reasoning?

I'll parallel him on Rex with three things. Both are players coaches that don't preach discipline. Both need a strong secondary for their defensive scheme to work. Both had defenses that were complete dumpster fires this past season, Carolina's even more so than here.

DynaPaul
01-11-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm liking it. If we can get a top OC we'll be much improved as far as the coaching staff goes. No more Rex circus show and trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Typ0
01-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Would rather have hired Linn. This is a rebuild move not a win with a close team move. It is confusing. It is the Buffalo Bills.

LarryBoy
01-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Reasoning?

I'll parallel him on Rex with three things. Both are players coaches that don't preach discipline. Both need a strong secondary for their defensive scheme to work. Both had defenses that were complete dumpster fires this past season, Carolina's even more so than here.

Odd-they just posed this on ESPN-

Adam Caplan
@caplannfl

McDermott is a no non-sense, strong-minded coach. He will make players accountable. Would expect a culture change is coming to Bills.

Historian
01-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Just another bum, in a long parade of bums.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Odd-they just posed this on ESPN-

Adam Caplan
@caplannfl

McDermott is a no non-sense, strong-minded coach. He will make players accountable. Would expect a culture change is coming to Bills.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/11/14191708/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-hire-head-coach

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I'm worried about here.

YardRat
01-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I'll wait and see who the coordinators are.

McCoy would be my first choice but reports are he may go with Joseph to Denver. I saw Turner was mentioned...would rather have Musgrave, but OK with Norv.

Not thrilled with the initial reports of who the DC's might be.

As far as just the hiring process and the candidates, at least we pulled the trigger early enough to get the pick of our litter...it's not like we had to settle.

Turf
01-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I think you can be a players coach and still be no nonsense and disciplined.

YardRat
01-11-2017, 04:45 PM
https://twitter.com/NickVeronica?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Liking Carucci's tweet...

Message at <s>#</s>Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) presser introducing McDermott as HC will be "we" vs "me" approach to assembling 53-man roster to defuse friction w Whaley.

I couldn't care less about 'defusing friction', but rather this is the mindset/business model that should be followed when acquiring players.

justasportsfan
01-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Reasoning?

Actually doscipline is his better suit. Hes anti Rex. He stays in his office hammerong out details all day l9ng while Rex is making cameo roles and obssessing on how to crack Bellicheat jokes.

justasportsfan
01-11-2017, 04:49 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/11/14191708/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-hire-head-coach

- - - Updated - - -

Im worried too but it doesnt say anything about him not preaching discipline

YardRat
01-11-2017, 04:50 PM
This guy better be ****ing successful because it's going to be really difficult to come up with a nickname like 'Wrecks' from 'Sean' and 'McDermott' if he isn't.

Ed
01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
This guy better be ****ing successful because it's going to be really difficult to come up with a nickname like 'Wrecks' from 'Sean' and 'McDermott' if he isn't.
I'm sure someone around here will come up with something really creative like McDouche.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Just another coordinator that will have nothing to do with the other side of the ball.
If they go 8-8 next year you guys will want him fired.

If we go 8-8 with next year's schedule I will be pleasantly surprised. We could not accept 8-8 from Ryan because he was given the keys to a team full of talent and instead of building on what he had he had to do it his way and it was a complete and utter disaster.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-11-2017, 05:17 PM

Perhaps, but we have Wrecks a couple years. We can extend the same courtesy

Ed
01-11-2017, 05:20 PM
New Broncos HC Vance Joseph and McDermott both want Mike McCoy for OC, but it sounds like Buffalo might be the favorite to land him:

WGR 550Verified account
‏@WGR550
Clayton- "It's pretty clear that Sean McDermott wants Mike McCoy, and Vance Joseph wants McCoy, but right now I think he goes to Buffalo."

YardRat
01-11-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm sure someone around here will come up with something really creative like McDouche.

McDirtMap and McDerpMutt are the best I can come up with at this point.

swiper
01-11-2017, 05:25 PM
New Broncos HC Vance Joseph and McDermott both want Mike McCoy for OC, but it sounds like Buffalo might be the favorite to land him:

WGR 550Verified account
‏@WGR550
Clayton- "It's pretty clear that Sean McDermott wants Mike McCoy, and Vance Joseph wants McCoy, but right now I think he goes to Buffalo."

The loser will probably get Musgrave.

EDS
01-11-2017, 05:26 PM

McDoormat?

Mace
01-11-2017, 05:30 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think you're misreading it. The rep on McDermott is that he's a no nonsense, focused guy, Jim Johnson was his mentor.

He's known to run a player friendly scheme in that he adapts scheme to players, doesn't get players for scheme. I've always read McDermott is all about accountability and consistency.

WagonCircler
01-11-2017, 05:50 PM
How sad is it that the best emotion I can come up with is relief?

It's gotten to the point where we celebrate that the worst case scenario didn't happen, just the third or fourth worst.

I'm also hopeful that this spells doom for Whaley.

DraftBoy
01-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Reasoning?

Multiple reports, including the beat writers in Carolina, have raved about the discipline that he demands of his players and fellow coaches.

Yes, but the secondary skill sets are slightly different. Rex requires his DB to man coverage because his exotic blitzes require it, McDermott runs a more Cover 1 or Man-Free Scheme which calls for the ability of the corners to man up on the outside but can also be transitioned into a zone based scheme.

True, but as I said in another thread McDermott lost both his starting CB's, his best player (Kuechley) for six games, and Charles Johnson started to show his age at 31.

Finally McDermott has been raved about in Philly and Carolina as a film grinder who gets deep into the X's and O's. That's the polar opposite of Rex as well. He understands how to scheme and how to develop talent.

DraftBoy
01-11-2017, 05:59 PM
The loser will probably get Musgrave.

I don't think Musgrave will make a move until the Cal job gets settled, because he's in the running for that.

swiper
01-11-2017, 06:03 PM
I don't think Musgrave will make a move until the Cal job gets settled, because he's in the running for that.

It's still not clear why he's leaving. That was a good situation for him. Was this Del Rio's move?

Mace
01-11-2017, 06:29 PM
It's still not clear why he's leaving. That was a good situation for him. Was this Del Rio's move?

Yep. Last 4 paragraphs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18446913/oakland-raiders-retain-offensive-coordinator-bill-musgrave

DesertFox24
01-11-2017, 06:38 PM
I like the hire. Hopefully we can get a qb so he can have a long run here.

Mace
01-11-2017, 06:40 PM

McCoy & Musgrave set to interview with Denver tomorrow, seen Norv mentioned as a Buffalo possibility.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2017, 06:56 PM
McCoy & Musgrave set to interview with Denver tomorrow, seen Norv mentioned as a Buffalo possibility.

Listening to John Clayton this evening on WGR with Schopp and Bulldog, he said Norv Turner is near the end of his coaching career and will likely want to reside on the West Coast because he's not fond of cold weather.

Mike Schopp said the Bills are in "Western," NY by a lake.

Novacane
01-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Meh.

Maybe it'll work!

Mularkey, Jauraon, Gailey, Marone. No saying McDermott is exciting but he's no less than those four names.

jimmifli
01-11-2017, 07:12 PM
No thanks to Norv. I'd rather have Lynn.

McCoy is still my first choice.

sudzy
01-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Mularkey, Jauraon, Gailey, Marone. No saying McDermott is exciting but he's no less than those four names.

That says it all. The bar set pretty low for Bills HCs.

Mace
01-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Just imho, but I think it's exciting because we got a young guy with substantial experience. Wired and focused, but flexible enough to adapt, a guy who has actually studied other coordinators like Lebeau and Monte Kiffin besides learning under Jim Johnson. He's known as intense, sleeps 3-5 hrs, and lives in his office during the season for most of the week.

He also won 75 consecutive high school wrestling matches so you shouldn't be surprised to see Dareus pounding the turf at practice locked in a painful Mongolian toe-hold if he ticks McDermott off.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2017, 07:33 PM
McDermott is 42 years old...which I believe would make him the youngest Bills HC ever.

That is the 1 thing I like most about this hire. Out with the old bloods, in with the new blood.

In 4 out of 6 years as DC with Carolina, McD had a top 10 defense.

He was born in "Omaha!" Nebraska, and his father coached football.

His mentor in Philly was Jim Johnson.

He was a national wrestling champion in high school and is considered to be a "legend."

McDermott was also an All-Southeastern Defensive Back in high school.

He earned a bachelor's degree in finance at the College of William and Mary, (Mark Kelso shoutout) was an all-conference safety in 1997, and also received Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-America accolades.

McDermott is a sports nut. He eats, lives, sleeps and craps football. When he's not doing that, he's still chomping at the bit.

Instead of taking the summers off, he coached his daughter's soccer team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McDermott

I think the Bills have finally found what they've been looking for in a Head Coach.

feldspar
01-11-2017, 07:37 PM

As long as it's the real one.;)

This could have gone a lot worse, like say hiring Lynn. That never made a lick of sense to me.

I have no predictions anymore, but next year should be interesting at any rate, no matter how good/bad the team is.

When's the presser...anyone know?

BillsImpossible
01-11-2017, 07:44 PM
As long as it's the real one.;)

This could have gone a lot worse, like say hiring Lynn. That never made a lick of sense to me.

I have no predictions anymore, but next year should be interesting at any rate, no matter how good/bad the team is.

When's the presser...anyone know?

Likely to be on Friday, the 13th.

Mad Max
01-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Automatic addition by subtraction.

Rex did so many foolish things that all tolled were going to prevent us from building anything.

We may may not win right away with this guy but at least we will likely have a cogent plan and direction.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Automatic addition by subtraction.

Rex did so many foolish things that all tolled were going to prevent us from building anything.

We may may not win right away with this guy but at least we will likely have a cogent plan and direction.

Here's a thought....

McDermott has a free pass in year one, with a fresh blank slate. Start Cardale Jones and run with it.

If the Bills finish 3-13, fine...they get the #1 pick in 2018.

If the Bills make the playoffs for the first time in 18 years, Cardale Jones is "The Man," and the Bills go on a 10 year at minimum playoff/Super Bowl run.

tomz
01-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Just imho, but I think it's exciting because we got a young guy with substantial experience. Wired and focused, but flexible enough to adapt, a guy who has actually studied other coordinators like Lebeau and Monte Kiffin besides learning under Jim Johnson. He's known as intense, sleeps 3-5 hrs, and lives in his office during the season for most of the week.

He also won 75 consecutive high school wrestling matches so you shouldn't be surprised to see Dareus pounding the turf at practice locked in a painful Mongolian toe-hold if he ticks McDermott off.

Maybe he'll hire that wrestling offensive line coach and they can both wrestle prospects.

djjimkelly
01-11-2017, 07:58 PM

if the team is boring

YAWN mcdermott

swiper
01-11-2017, 08:03 PM
After he puts together his staff, QB is again the #1 priority.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-11-2017, 08:23 PM
McDermotology if he's good

feldspar
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Likely to be on Friday, the 13th.

No, really?

Friday the 13th?

That can't be a good omen...

I was born the day after Friday the 13th (Saturday the 14th), and that was bad enough maybe...for whatever that's worth...

Friday the 13th is probably not a good day to start anew...or do anything other than stay indoors with your drapes shut.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2017, 08:32 PM
McDermotology if he's good

With the Bills playoff drought entering its 18th year, the idea of clearing up the Bills acne with a McDermotolgist is intriguing.

djjimkelly
01-11-2017, 08:37 PM
i like the hire from the guys we interviewed

works good for next year considering we play the nfc south so he should be familiar with those games

however i would finally like a coach who has a winning afc record maybe this guys the one

bdutton
01-11-2017, 09:20 PM

McDoofus

BillsImpossible
01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
McDoofus

Was that supposed to be funny?

feldspar
01-11-2017, 09:26 PM

That's cuz you suck.

THAT was a pretty good one, right?

Feldspooge wasn't very good, either. You best get your act together, son. Learn how to insult proper-like;)

"LardFat"...now, that's just pure gold. See what I'm sayin'? Must take it from me...I would not give you a bum steer, old buddy...

bdutton
01-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Was that supposed to be funny?

McGadget, McGimmick... McUseless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkexJ-MBCQ

Mace
01-11-2017, 10:06 PM
-McRalphs if he's Bad Company (could be good or bad on your feelings for the band)
-McCoach if he's bad
-McRyan if his defense blows
-McNuggets if he's good and you like them, or bad and you hate them and he's got no cojones for decisions
-McMisery if bad
-McMastery if good
-Mickey D in general

Some call him Opie on Panthers boards.

-Ginger
-The RedReason
-OrangeCrush
-Dondarrion
-Ted Rolston

sukie
01-11-2017, 10:22 PM
McDumbass will be an improvement.

Has as anyone texted Whaley about this hire? This is not his choice. McDermal is almost as white as Larry Bird

Mace
01-11-2017, 10:26 PM
McDumbass will be an improvement.

Has as anyone texted Whaley about this hire? This is not his choice. McDermal is almost as white as Larry Bird

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C17MVSHVEAAfGbo.jpg

Evidently not, he's smiling. I keep thinking Brandon is trapped just past the glaze and unable to get into the picture despite hollering for everyone to wait.

sukie
01-11-2017, 10:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C17MVSHVEAAfGbo.jpg

Evidently not, he's smiling. I keep thinking Brandon is trapped just past the glaze and unable to get into the picture despite hollering for everyone to wait.
I think Whaley just happened to be there . Forgot his body spray or something.

sukie
01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
McFinally Mc***kin McChampionship

Mace
01-11-2017, 10:35 PM

He was the guy that had to trick Brandon behind the wall before locking the door and yelling "selfie".

TacklingDummy
01-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, Catdale Jones, he's set up to fail. Hopefully the
Bills can draft their next Jim Kelly in the next 3 years, if they don't then u can say cya to McDermott, just like all the coaches before him.

feldspar
01-12-2017, 04:56 AM

Here's just hoping that he was privy....

Jan Reimers
01-12-2017, 05:19 AM
Any apple from the Andy Reid-Jim Johnson tree is worth picking.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, Catdale Jones, he's set up to fail. Hopefully the
Bills can draft their next Jim Kelly in the next 3 years, if they don't then u can say cya to McDermott, just like all the coaches before him.

They don't need a Kelly if he can get the defense to preform to where they were Pre-Rex. Making the playoffs will likely buy him an extension and another couple of years to grab a QB.

Jimkelly12203
01-12-2017, 08:49 AM
I hope they give this man full control of whatever he wants and shove Russ and Doug in a closet where they belong. Keep those two morons out of any important decision making situations and McDermott might have a shot at turning this team into a winner 2 or 3 years down the line.

If Russ and Doug continue to add their moronic influence on decisions, McDermott just committed career suicide.

ticatfan
01-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Nothing wrong with a new start.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2017, 10:11 AM
I would have loved the hire two years ago, but now I think it's negated two drafts. I hope for the best but there's a real disaster scenario possibility.

feldspar
01-12-2017, 10:19 AM
I would have loved the hire two years ago, but now I think it's negated two drafts. I hope for the best but there's a real disaster scenario possibility.

What disaster, man?

We've already been there for quite some time.

17 years and all that...

WTF are you or anyone else worried about at this point? All you can do is cross your fingers and say I told you so later...

We'll just have to wait and see...

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
What disaster, man?

Like a falling into the 3-13 hole like the Browns or Rams disaster.

If:
Aaron Williams retires (he's mentioned it)
Kyle Williams retires (he's mentioned it, and specifically in reference to a scheme change)
Gilmore leaves (realistic)

Then we are already down 3 starters and relying on guys like Ragland, Darby, and Lawson to make up the slack - guys drafted for a completely different scheme who may not be effective at all.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Also FWIW, if he does silly things like punt in OT, then the clear nickname should be McChicken

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 11:27 AM

There certainly is a chance of that.

Among the defensive picks we've made over the last two drafts I think the only players who are potentially poor fits for the scheme are Ragland and Washington.

Darby can play in zone and man coverage, Steward isn't with the team anymore, Lawson was a 43 DE/34 OLB coming out of school, and Seymour is a guy who we need to see more of.

psubills62
01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
I really, really do hate switching defenses all the time.

Personally I tend to prefer a 4-3.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 11:46 AM
I really, really do hate switching defenses all the time.

Personally I tend to prefer a 4-3.

With the amount of Nickle and Dime that teams play nowadays the switching is a lot less dramatic then it used to be.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Like a falling into the 3-13 hole like the Browns or Rams disaster.

If:
Aaron Williams retires (he's mentioned it)
Kyle Williams retires (he's mentioned it, and specifically in reference to a scheme change)
Gilmore leaves (realistic)

Then we are already down 3 starters and relying on guys like Ragland, Darby, and Lawson to make up the slack - guys drafted for a completely different scheme who may not be effective at all.
bro, 3-13.... 7-9.... 8-8.... its all the same thing... in fact once you are out of playoff contention, rising up in the draft is better then being smack in the middle...

whkfc
01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Broncos hire McCoy to be offensive cordinator

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Broncos hire McCoy to be offensive cordinator

Damn...

On the Musgrave!

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Damn...

On the Musgrave!

He can even bring McGloin with him! Since he looked pretty poor in week 17, he should still be cheap!

I wouldn't be opposed with Trestman at OC either.

Bill Cody
01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
I was hoping for the real mcCoy

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 04:38 PM
I was hoping for the real mcCoy

He hasn't signed with Denver yet and they are interviewing Musgrave tomorrow, so we may still have a shot at him.

YardRat
01-12-2017, 04:46 PM
That's cuz you suck.

THAT was a pretty good one, right?

Feldspooge wasn't very good, either. You best get your act together, son. Learn how to insult proper-like;)

"LardFat"...now, that's just pure gold. See what I'm sayin'? Must take it from me...I would not give you a bum steer, old buddy...

"feldspooge" is an instant classic, almost as good as 'Wrecks'.

YardRat
01-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Washington doesn't worry me a bit...Lawson-Dareus-Washington-Hughes as the front four. Kyle can split time evenly with Washington, replacing him on passing downs. I think Williams will want to play for the new guy once he gets a whiff of him.

Ragland concerns me a little bit, not sure his technique can overcome the pure athleticism that apparently McDermott's defense requires in the middle, and pretty sure he's definitely not a good fit to move outside.

Mace
01-12-2017, 05:39 PM

We've been negating our own drafts for years anyway. Adolphus worked himself to the bench by the last game, Lawson didn't do much, whole bunch of them are injured (both sides of the ball) most often, which leads you back to the only 2 dependable defensive starters, Preston Brown and Darby who regressed.

The stopgap FA's finished their contracts, Corbin Bryant was here under Schwartz, IK Enempkpali is going to be out of here finally. We're really not losing much.

Flip side if they remained with their version of 3-4 which was really mostly 5-2, FA contracts expired, Gilmore contract, still need a safety, cb's, dl depth. Ragland is a better fit but you still probably have IK Enempkpali.

Either way, you need DL depth, DB's and LB help.