• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Does the HC get a say in personnel?

So, it's no big secret to anyone here that rumors broke late last week that the Bills were moving on from Tyrod.

Here's the problem: the HC didn't have any input into that decision because, well, we didn't have one. So, how much say should the HC have in personnel decisions?

I'll say this: I'm not the egotistical type that's going to get pissed off if the higher-ups don't take my advice every time, but I was hired because I have a specific skill set and I get frustrated if managers with more generalized skill sets make decisions without asking my input. And my skill set isn't nearly as unique or valuable as an NFL level coach.

Maybe it makes no difference, I don't know. But I just don't see how the FO making personnel decisions without input from a HC could be good for attracting coaching candidates or the relationship between the FO and the new coach.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Does the HC get a say in personnel?

Tyrod is not going to be in Buffalo next season unless he somehow convinces our doctors he can't pass a physical. After seeing our draft picks come in crippled, I think it's safe to say everyone passes their physical in Buffalo.

Comment

• Ed
      • Sep 2002

We've heard that the Bills are moving on, but we've also been told that the new HC would have a say when it comes to Tyrod. Who knows what to believe right now, but I would have to imagine that Tyrod and the QB position in general were significant topics of discussion during the interviews. I doubt McDermott would take the job if he wasn't comfortable with any decisions that have already been made. They have two months to decide on Tyrod, so it doesn't really make sense for them to have already made a decision without a coaching staff in place. Maybe they're leaning towards moving on from Tyrod, but I wouldn't be surprised if a definitive decision hasn't been made yet.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        Tyrod is not going to be in Buffalo next season unless he somehow convinces our doctors he can't pass a physical. After seeing our draft picks come in crippled, I think it's safe to say everyone passes their physical in Buffalo.
        Ok, then. Break it down. Ditch as many big contracts as possible, don't bring back Eric Woods, Kyle or anyone else too old to be useful in 2-3 years. Trade guys for picks.

We aren't going to find a QB any more capable of winning now than Tyrod is, so time to rebuild.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          So, it's no big secret to anyone here that rumors broke late last week that the Bills were moving on from Tyrod.

Here's the problem: the HC didn't have any input into that decision because, well, we didn't have one. So, how much say should the HC have in personnel decisions?

I'll say this: I'm not the egotistical type that's going to get pissed off if the higher-ups don't take my advice every time, but I was hired because I have a specific skill set and I get frustrated if managers with more generalized skill sets make decisions without asking my input. And my skill set isn't nearly as unique or valuable as an NFL level coach.

Maybe it makes no difference, I don't know. But I just don't see how the FO making personnel decisions without input from a HC could be good for attracting coaching candidates or the relationship between the FO and the new coach.
          I'd guess if he hires an OC with chops, there will be some discussion.......and I'd guess Taylor came up in the interviews and was discussed.

I'm also purely guessing if McDermott had strong feelings about it and wasn't asked, he wouldn't have come here.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ed View Post
            We've heard that the Bills are moving on, but we've also been told that the new HC would have a say when it comes to Tyrod. Who knows what to believe right now, but I would have to imagine that Tyrod and the QB position in general were significant topics of discussion during the interviews. I doubt McDermott would take the job if he wasn't comfortable with any decisions that have already been made. They have two months to decide on Tyrod, so it doesn't really make sense for them to have already made a decision without a coaching staff in place. Maybe they're leaning towards moving on from Tyrod, but I wouldn't be surprised if a definitive decision hasn't been made yet.
            So then how did it get out there? Why were they even talking about it knowing that someone integral to the decision hadn't been hired yet?

I challenge someone to answer that without using the following words: incompetent, train wreck, dysfunctional, dumpster fire.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

So then how did it get out there? Why were they even talking about it knowing that someone integral to the decision hadn't been hired yet?

I challenge someone to answer that without using the following words: incompetent, train wreck, dysfunctional, dumpster fire.
              Incorrect media analysis. Taylor really may have been benched so he wouldn't be injured and the new HC would have the option of choosing.

Comment

• Ed
                • Sep 2002

I have no idea. I've heard that the HC will make the decision on Tyrod and I've heard that they've already decided to move on from him. Which is true? It just seems like we've been getting a lot of speculation and questionable reporting about the issue ever since they sat Tyrod for the last game. My guess is that Whaley's preference is to move on from Tyrod, but maybe it's not entirely up to him, which is leading to conflicting reports. I certainly have no idea what to believe. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

I don't think the Pegula's, Doug Whaley or Coach McDermott have any interest in paying Tyrod Taylor $27.5 million next year.

Comment

• Mace
                    • Mar 2013

Watching the facebook live with Tim Graham, Tyler Dunne, Jerry Sullivan from this afternoon. Sullivan points out the leaks from the football dept indicated Lynn was a lock and he wasn't, so it's no reach to wonder if the Taylor information wasn't bad either. Graham said he's hearing McDermott did indeed want more roster control and it's unlikely he wouldn't have some say in the choice. They also speculate the leaks were Whaley related.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

I don't think the Pegula's would have hired McDermott if he thought Tyrod Taylor was the answer at QB.

The Pegula's like Doug Whaley a lot, and gave him a contract extension.

Doug Whaley has no choice but to make a deal with McDermott over player personnel.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Incorrect media analysis. Taylor really may have been benched so he wouldn't be injured and the new HC would have the option of choosing.
                        Sorry, Mace, but that's not accurate.

IF the Pegula's were all in on Taylor, they would have wanted him to start the last game against the Jets to build a, "winning culture," and finish 8-8.

That didn't happen.

Keep in mind the fact that the Pegula's have not once publicly said they think Taylor is their money ticket.

If they thought Tyrod Taylor was money, they would have said so by now.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                          I don't think the Pegula's, Doug Whaley or Coach McDermott have any interest in paying Tyrod Taylor $27.5 million next year.
                          Well if Whaley didn't intend on paying it, he never should have given him that **** contract in the first place.

But more importantly, who are they going to pay that's equal or better?
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                            If they thought Tyrod Taylor was money, they would have said so by now.
                            No no, the point wasn't they thought Taylor was money, the point was that they wanted to leave the option to the next coach (without forcing it on him via injury).

The media will tend to follow a linear line of thought. Taylor sits, not in plans.

The thing is, Taylor has said renegotiation is not off the table.

I'm leaning toward it's HC/OC's call.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Well if Whaley didn't intend on paying it, he never should have given him that **** contract in the first place.

But more importantly, who are they going to pay that's equal or better?
                              I agree, Whaley didn't have to give Tryod Taylor that kind of contract. He should have sat on the original contract.

Who are they going to pay that is equal or better?

Cardale Jones.

Comment

Working...
                              X