PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down McDermott's Defensive Philosophy

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 06:16 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/8/5080004/panthers-vs-49ers-defense-breakdown

The article is a little date (written in 2013) but the writer is phenomenal and it gives a good breakdown of how McDermott will look to transform the Bills defense.

Pinkerton Security
01-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Stop the run with your front sevenI think I'm going to like this difference between Rex and McD the most - the amount of blitzing puts a huge onus on our defensive backs not only to cover one on one a majority of the time, but also to tackle well. I think this was why we saw big games by RBs such as Ajayi, Bell, etc

feldspar
01-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Brand new Papa, almost

Maybe we'll get some luck for a change. Then again, maybe not...

EDS
01-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Bills are going to need a bunch of new linebackers.

cookie G
01-12-2017, 08:41 AM
http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/nfl-playoffs/2016/02/04/super-bowl-50-preview-how-the-carolina-panthers-like-to-defend/

Another...dealing primarily with coverages

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 01:11 PM
http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/nfl-playoffs/2016/02/04/super-bowl-50-preview-how-the-carolina-panthers-like-to-defend/

Another...dealing primarily with coverages

The problem is we don't have a Josh Norman talented corner for his coverage schemes.

And look what happened to the Panthers defense last year without Norman.

It makes me really believe we're drafting either Marlon Humphrey or Marshon Lattimore in Rd 1.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 02:12 PM
The problem is we don't have a Josh Norman talented corner for his coverage schemes.

It makes me really believe we're drafting either Marlon Humphrey or Marshon Lattimore in Rd 1.

*Without Norman and Benwikere

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 02:33 PM
*Without Norman and Benwikere

Sorry for not going with the tandem.

My point still remains though. Gilmore and Darby are no Norman and Benwikere. And Gilmore is likely gone.

The Panthers were 26th in points allowed this past season and were more of a dumpster fire on the defensive side of the ball than we were. If we don't address the secondary this offseason, let alone the linebacking, we're going to take a huge step backwards on that side of the ball IMO.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Sorry for not going with the tandem.

My point still remains though. Gilmore and Darby are no Norman and Benwikere. And Gilmore is likely gone.

The Panthers were 26th in points allowed this past season and were more of a dumpster fire on the defensive side of the ball than we were. If we don't address the secondary this offseason, let alone the linebacking, we're going to take a huge step backwards on that side of the ball IMO.

I agree, we need to add 3-4 DB's this offseason to work in the scheme.

mead107
01-12-2017, 02:47 PM
What ever he runs, has to be better than Rex and his brother.

kingJofNYC
01-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Give me Foster! We need him.

Mace
01-12-2017, 05:21 PM
I'll just point out again, that the Carolina beat writer from the Facebook live thing made a point of saying McDermott adapts and is flexible. He mentioned they had weak DB's and McDermott made changes, and he felt by the end of the year they were looking better.

Also pointed out when they had the line to manufacture a pass rush, McDermott blitzed less. When he had to compensate for a weaker line he blitzed more.

I still think the most important thing about McDermott is that he has an adaptive, flexible view that centers around available personnel.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-12-2017, 05:39 PM
I'll just point out again, that the Carolina beat writer from the Facebook live thing made a point of saying McDermott adapts and is flexible. He mentioned they had weak DB's and McDermott made changes, and he felt by the end of the year they were looking better.

Also pointed out when they had the line to manufacture a pass rush, McDermott blitzed less. When he had to compensate for a weaker line he blitzed more.

I still think the most important thing about McDermott is that he has an adaptive, flexible view that centers around available personnel.

Kinda like Trump's whores. Cool.

Ed
01-12-2017, 06:05 PM
buffalobills.com has an article about McDermott's D that I thought was interesting:

5 differences to expect in Sean McDermott's defense
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/5-differences-to-expect-in-Sean-McDermotts-defense/410476f5-5ef0-4c2d-88c0-6c223b97d6c1

I feel like this change in D will be good for Dareus and Hughes since it seems like their positions/roles will be fairly similar to what they did under Schwartz, when both players had their best seasons.

It also sounds like speed and coverage ability is really important for the LBs. I don't really see how Ragland fits in this D and I'm wondering if they'll consider trying to trade him. Unless he's a fit at SLB. I don't really have a sense of what the SLB role is.

Fixxxer
01-12-2017, 06:29 PM

I think Darby will have a lot of fun next year, Robey too for that matter, they're better reading and reacting to the play, they can close on the ball rather quickly.

djjimkelly
01-12-2017, 07:39 PM
buffalobills.com has an article about McDermott's D that I thought was interesting:

5 differences to expect in Sean McDermott's defense
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/5-differences-to-expect-in-Sean-McDermotts-defense/410476f5-5ef0-4c2d-88c0-6c223b97d6c1

I feel like this change in D will be good for Dareus and Hughes since it seems like their positions/roles will be fairly similar to what they did under Schwartz, when both players had their best seasons.

It also sounds like speed and coverage ability is really important for the LBs. I don't really see how Ragland fits in this D and I'm wondering if they'll consider trying to trade him. Unless he's a fit at SLB. I don't really have a sense of what the SLB role is.

i think your underestimating ragland. jeremiah trotter played in the middle in this scheme ragland will too.

Mace
01-12-2017, 07:42 PM
i think your underestimating ragland. jeremiah trotter played in the middle in this scheme ragland will too.

Not if it is Frazier's imprint he won't. Remember Bryan Scott, the concussed safety-lb ? That's a Tampa-2 linebacker.

BillsImpossible
01-12-2017, 08:06 PM
I don't think McDermott and Frazier will have Marcell Dareus or Kyle Williams dropping back in to pass coverage.....

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Not if it is Frazier's imprint he won't. Remember Bryan Scott, the concussed safety-lb ? That's a Tampa-2 linebacker.

Maybe Peppers will be drafted for your Tampa 2 LB needs!

stuckincincy
01-12-2017, 11:35 PM
I agree, we need to add 3-4 DB's this offseason to work in the scheme.

Let's not forget questions at QB, too.

I've been advocating that BUF kick the tires on a trade for McCarron for a good while. CIN will likely get a pile of comp picks with the departure of Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu, Reggie Nelson and Andre Smith, so I suppose they would be looking for picks in '18 0r '19 drafts