PDA

View Full Version : Time to bring Kiko back?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2017, 08:32 AM
How time has changed? Kiko Alonso would be perfect in McDermott's defense. He's a RFA though.

Albany,n.y.
01-12-2017, 08:59 AM
How can he be a restricted free agent? He's been in the league 4 years which should make him unrestricted. Am I missing something about the reserve/non-football injury year?

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 09:20 AM
I don't think he's a perfect fit for the D. Size wise he lines up but McDermott's D asks for the front four to penetrate quickly which means the LB's need to be able to work through blocks and fill the holes. Kiko is a down hill LB who struggles to work through blocks.

kingJofNYC
01-12-2017, 09:24 AM
More like time to draft Reuben Foster.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2017, 10:16 AM
I don't think he's a perfect fit for the D. Size wise he lines up but McDermott's D asks for the front four to penetrate quickly which means the LB's need to be able to work through blocks and fill the holes. Kiko is a down hill LB who struggles to work through blocks.

He played MLB under Pettine which highlighted his instincts and speed, but also showed his lack of size in hold up against running plays.

If he still has the speed he had after those injuries, I think he can be very good at WLB, going to where the ball is. If the Bills re-sign Zach Brown, he will be that guy. But I still like Kiko's instincts being better than any Bills linebackers we have in the last 6 years.

swiper
01-12-2017, 12:56 PM
He doesn't fit McDermott's type of defense. If he was on the team he would play outside.

Night Train
01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
He's a Safety playing LB

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 01:08 PM
How can he be a restricted free agent? He's been in the league 4 years which should make him unrestricted. Am I missing something about the reserve/non-football injury year?

He's only played 3 seasons. But it will be interesting to see where they tender him.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
If you were to bring him back, what do you do with Reggie Ragland?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2017, 01:56 PM
If you were to bring him back, what do you do with Reggie Ragland?

Ragland would not be drafted last year if McDermott were here last year.

Right now, Ragland will be pegged to be the MLB, but off the field on passing downs, sort of like a younger Brandon Spikes. Of course we have not seen anything from the guy in NFL. Maybe he surprises all of us with his speed and coverage ability.

Mike13
01-12-2017, 02:12 PM
You want to give a divisional rival an extra second round pick?

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Right now, Ragland will be pegged to be the MLB, but off the field on passing downs, sort of like a younger Brandon Spikes. Of course we have not seen anything from the guy in NFL. Maybe he surprises all of us with his speed and coverage ability.

Ragland and P. Brown will player either MLB or WLB in this defense. Neither is a great fit though, nor is Spikes.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Speed is what's missing in Bills LB corp. In a 4-3 scheme, it will be more so.

I personally like LBs with instincts, not just pure speed. My favorite, Ray Lewis has it. Kuechly has it. And I think Kiko has it, too. All of them listed around 240lb, ideal size. But I suspect Kiko's playing weight might be in the 225lb range; he is not that hard to be knocked off balance.

They say Ragland has the nose for the ball, just not the ability to get to where the ball is thrown to.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 02:30 PM

I agree. If McDermott was here last year, Ragland isn't a Bill.

He simply doesn't fit.

But, signing a Kiko Alonso then makes your intentions fully known that Reggie Ragland was a wasted pick and that he's not in your future plans.

Night Train
01-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Speed is what's missing in Bills LB corp. In a 4-3 scheme, it will be more so.

I personally like LBs with instincts, not just pure speed. My favorite, Ray Lewis has it. Kuechly has it. And I think Kiko has it, too. All of them listed around 240lb, ideal size. But I suspect Kiko's playing weight might be in the 225lb range; he is not that hard to be knocked off balance.

They say Ragland has the nose for the ball, just not the ability to get to where the ball is thrown to.

Draft Foster from Alabama and reunite with Ragland.

Kiko had a good first half to 2014, then vanished the 2nd half. Then to Philly and Miami since, McCoy is a far better player and we won that trade by a mile. Salary means nothing.

If you have his jersey, congrats but he's too small. Move on.

Ed
01-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Kiko's knee injury was non-football related, so his season on IR did not count as an accrued NFL season.

Ed
01-13-2017, 03:20 PM
I'd rather bring back Zach Brown, but I have no idea what kind of market value he has right now.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Draft Foster from Alabama and reunite with Ragland.

Kiko had a good first half to 2014, then vanished the 2nd half. Then to Philly and Miami since, McCoy is a far better player and we won that trade by a mile. Salary means nothing.

If you have his jersey, congrats but he's too small. Move on.
I'm not bitter about trading Kiko for McCoy. Just saying that we can use a guy like him now.

I have to believe safety will be #1 on the list right now and there is some very good one you can get at #10. Any other position, we have at least one guy who is quality (like Watkins at WR). Safety we have nobody period.