PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like McCoy to Denver -- What now?

Mahdi
01-12-2017, 01:58 PM
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/01/11/Denver-Broncos-hiring-Mike-McCoy-as-offensive-coordinator/7911484177326/

http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/1/11/14247366/report-broncos-will-hire-mike-mccoy-to-be-their-offensive-coordinator

Half the appeal for McDermott was McCoy. Now that its likely McCoy is going to Denver I hope the Bills have a plan for OC.

Basically the best part of our team is about to be seriously disturbed for no good reason.

This hire may work out but looking at it right now I see no reason why the Lynn/Bradley combination didn't make a lot more sense.

You keep the offense in-tact and get a guy who runs a solid defense.

Buffalogic
01-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Those reports were coming out yesterday, but nothing official yet. He's still on the market.

Mahdi
01-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Those reports were coming out yesterday, but nothing official yet. He's still on the market.

Well assuming they are accurate, I just hope the Bills didn't jump the gun on trying to prove to everyone they were thinking outside the box and got an outsider for that reason alone.

Seems to me, many of the qualities listed about McDermott are the same ones Lynn has.

Then we go ahead and run TT out of town and he goes on to lead a team to the playoffs.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Half the appeal for McDermott was McCoy. Now that its likely McCoy is going to Denver I hope the Bills have a plan for OC.

No it wasn't. McCoy was the icing on the cake for McDermott, but he alone was the vast majority of the appeal.

Mahdi
01-12-2017, 02:17 PM
No it wasn't. McCoy was the icing on the cake for McDermott, but he alone was the vast majority of the appeal.

Well, relative to Lynn I don't see that he has that much more appeal.

DesertFox24
01-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Has McCoy been announced officially?

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2017, 02:20 PM
McCoy isn't hired in Denver yet. Don't know we're all this non sense is coming from.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 02:29 PM
McCoy isn't hired in Denver yet. Don't know we're all this non sense is coming from.

He's interviewing in Denver now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we know you wanted to maintain the continuity.

jimmifli
01-12-2017, 02:34 PM
McDermot D's have outperformed their talent in every season he's been a DC. He was a good hire. If we get McCoy that'd be awesome, but he's not the reason we hired Bill Burr to be our head coach.

It doesn't look like Lynn is getting a HC job and I'd be fine with him coming back as the OC, he certainly earned that job and doesn't deserve to be turfed (I just didn't want him for the head job).

Mr. Pink
01-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Musgrave or Trestman.

I'd be fine with either choice.

Buffalogic
01-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Well assuming they are accurate, I just hope the Bills didn't jump the gun on trying to prove to everyone they were thinking outside the box and got an outsider for that reason alone.

Seems to me, many of the qualities listed about McDermott are the same ones Lynn has.

Then we go ahead and run TT out of town and he goes on to lead a team to the playoffs.
McDermott has been a DC for 8 years. Lynn was an OC for a little over 8 games. McDermott was the better choice. He's ready to be a coach. Not sure if Lynn is.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2017, 02:48 PM
McCoy's biggest ability is probably the ability to adapt to player strength. So that would provide us a lot of options regarding QB. Keeping Lynn pretty much says we need to keep Tyrod going forward. Going with a guy like Musgrave or Trestman, then you are looking for a new QB who can pass the ball a lot.

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 02:54 PM
The more I look at things, the more I'd rather go with Musgrave. I like what he did with Carr and that passing game and he's known to have a rep for developing young QB's.

paladin warrior
01-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Well bring him back "A. Lynn .

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Not sure if Lynn would come back after we passed him up for the HC job. But if he does, great.

Frank Reich?

Novacane
01-12-2017, 04:07 PM

You have got to be joking! Lynn had NO apeal!

jimmifli
01-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Looks like Lynn is gone, we've just hired a new O line coach. I don't see that happening if Lynn was sticking around.

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Losing Lynn is no big deal. Was never a big fan of his.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Looks like Lynn is gone, we've just hired a new O line coach. I don't see that happening if Lynn was sticking around.

Interesting they hired Castillo as the OL Coach and Run Game Coordinator without an OC in place.

Bill Cody
01-12-2017, 04:26 PM
I'd like to see everyone fired but at the least remove the stink of Rex in it's entirety right down to the towel boys

YardRat
01-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Don't like the new HC hiring offensive assistants unless he already has a commitment from an OC and that OC had input on the hire.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Don't like the new HC hiring offensive assistants unless he already has a commitment from an OC and that OC had input on the hire.

I would normally agree but Castillo comes in as pretty highly regarded OL guy. I would hope he would of gotten some kind of input though.

Oddly enough Castillo did work for Musgrave in Philly when he was the OC in 1998. Castillo was the OL coach then.

YardRat
01-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good hire, I just think it's a bad business model (football-wise) to bring in assistants without their supervisor's (coordinator's) input.

DraftBoy
01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good hire, I just think it's a bad business model (football-wise) to bring in assistants without their supervisor's (coordinator's) input.

I agree with you there.

OpIv37
01-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Please be more specific with your thread titles. I had a major "wtf" moment when I saw this.

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Anthony Lynn sucks.

Mace
01-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Agree, but there's an outside chance he's spoken enough with his potential oc's through the years to discuss blue skies scenarios with them. He's been interviewed in previous years and friends can stay in touch.

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 06:13 PM

The HC should be able to pick his staff.

swiper
01-12-2017, 06:23 PM
The more I look at things, the more I'd rather go with Musgrave. I like what he did with Carr and that passing game and he's known to have a rep for developing young QB's.

I did too, until I read through some of the criticism that Mace posted yesterday about him.

YardRat
01-12-2017, 06:28 PM
The HC should be able to pick his staff.

I would think a smart head coach would want input from his coordinators when it comes to position coaches.

Mace
01-12-2017, 06:36 PM
I would think a smart head coach would want input from his coordinators when it comes to position coaches.

On the bright side, if McCoy does sign with Denver, we may have just stolen his desired OL coach/running game coordinator.

YardRat
01-12-2017, 06:38 PM
On the bright side, if McCoy does sign with Denver, we may have just stolen his desired OL coach/running game coordinator.

Maybe. Would be nice to think behind close doors maybe McCoy told McDermott 'If you get me a couple of these guys, I'm there'.

Mace
01-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Maybe. Would be nice to think behind close doors maybe McCoy told McDermott 'If you get me a couple of these guys, I'm there'.

Failing that though :

McDermott : "Congratulations Mike. Thought we were friends ?"
McCoy : "You know how it goes Sean. It's Denver with Elway."
McDermott : "Juan says hello and waves his Bills hat to you."
McCoy : "(sputtering sounds)....Wha...Juan !"
McDermott : "You shouldn't have crossed me, Mike."
McCoy : "Sean, Sean....."
McDermott : (click)

paladin warrior
01-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Anthony Lynn sucks. Anthony Lynn suck ? :ill: .. I thought Anthony Lynn is way better then Greg Roman ,, Anthony Lynn did a great job with OC ... Right now Raven did hire Greg Roman.. Good luck Raven :lmao:.. Greg Roman is a worse OC

justasportsfan
01-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Interesting they hired Castillo as the OL Coach and Run Game Coordinator without an OC in place.

Im not sure about this guys resume at Ravens. Their run game was crap.

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 07:16 PM
I did too, until I read through some of the criticism that Mace posted yesterday about him.

Who would be the OC of choice then?

Ideally, sure. Will it make or break anything? Likely not.

- - - Updated - - -

Good. And I hope the Bills bring back Donnie Henderson who Marrone wanted but Coughlin nixed.

Mace
01-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Good. And I hope the Bills bring back Donnie Henderson who Marrone wanted but Coughlin nixed.

No way with Tampa-2 Frazier.

The Jokeman
01-12-2017, 07:42 PM

Denver also has plans to interview Musgrave, I'm not sure it's as solid as it looks.

The Jokeman
01-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Failing that though :

McDermott : "Congratulations Mike. Thought we were friends ?"
McCoy : "You know how it goes Sean. It's Denver with Elway."
McDermott : "Juan says hello and waves his Bills hat to you."
McCoy : "(sputtering sounds)....Wha...Juan !"
McDermott : "You shouldn't have crossed me, Mike."
McCoy : "Sean, Sean....."
McDermott : (click)

So I guess we can say he wasn't the Juan that got away.

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 08:35 PM
No way with Tampa-2 Frazier.

Is McDermott a Tampa-2 guy?

stuckincincy
01-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Im not sure about this guys resume at Ravens. Their run game was crap.

Ravens hired Roman...

"Former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman has joined the Baltimore Ravens' coaching staff, the team announced Thursday.

Roman will be the team's senior offensive assistant and tight ends coach.

The move is expected to help the Ravens' disappearing ground game. Roman, who was fired as the Bills' offensive coordinator after two games in 2016, has overseen some of the NFL's most successful running games in recent years. In Roman's five full seasons as an NFL coordinator, his rushing attacks have all ranked in the top eight in the NFL, including No. 1 in 2015."...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458049/greg-roman-former-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator-joins-baltimore-ravens-staff

Mace
01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Is McDermott a Tampa-2 guy?

Sure didn't think so but if he gets Frazier as his DC, that's all Frazier knows.

Goobylal
01-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Sure didn't think so but if he gets Frazier as his DC, that's all Frazier knows.

I think McDermott will run the system he wants and expect/knows Frazier will implement it.

Mace
01-12-2017, 09:38 PM
I think McDermott will run the system he wants and expect/knows Frazier will implement it.

And I'm sure your track record will give heavy weight to your profound insight.

Mahdi
01-12-2017, 09:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/report-mike-mccoy-back-to-broncos-as-offensive-coordinator/

It's Official....

Great.....

BillsImpossible
01-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I'd be calling Bill Musgrave immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-offensive-coordinator-reportedly-wont-be-retained-in-oakland/

DraftBoy
01-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Bill Musgrave
Ken Dorsey
Duce Staley
Mark Trestman
Brad Childress
Matt Nagy

That would be some of the names I'd like to look at moving forward.

justasportsfan
01-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Ravens hired Roman...

"Former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman has joined the Baltimore Ravens' coaching staff, the team announced Thursday.

Roman will be the team's senior offensive assistant and tight ends coach.

The move is expected to help the Ravens' disappearing ground game. Roman, who was fired as the Bills' offensive coordinator after two games in 2016, has overseen some of the NFL's most successful running games in recent years. In Roman's five full seasons as an NFL coordinator, his rushing attacks have all ranked in the top eight in the NFL, including No. 1 in 2015."...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458049/greg-roman-former-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator-joins-baltimore-ravens-staff

on the flipside, Castillo's OL in Philly was top of the league in pass protection from what I heard. But why he was brought in as running game coordinator with a bad resume' is what I don't understand. Hopefully McDermott is looking to build a Pats like offense where running the ball doesn't matter much.

Night Train
01-13-2017, 11:27 AM
on the flipside, Castillo's OL in Philly was top of the league in pass protection from what I heard. But why he was brought in as running game coordinator with a bad resume' is what I don't understand. Hopefully McDermott is looking to build a Pats like offense where running the ball doesn't matter much.

Pats are 6th in Rushing

Ed
01-13-2017, 12:26 PM
I heard this morning that Denver is working hard to try and get Musgrave to be their QB coach.

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 01:17 PM
And I'm sure your track record will give heavy weight to your profound insight.

Thanks. I expect it will.

I heard this morning that Denver is working hard to try and get Musgrave to be their QB coach.

No decent coach would take a demotion when there are lateral moves available.

psubills62
01-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Mike Klis of 9News Denver reports the Broncos are "finalizing" a deal to make Bill Musgrave their new QBs coach.The Broncos interviewed Musgrave and Mike McCoy for their offensive coordinator position. In the end, they decided to hire both coaches. As expected, McCoy will fill the offensive coordinator role with Musgrave handling the quarterbacks. Musgrave, who served as the Raiders' OC in 2016, drew interest from the Bills and Browns as a coordinator before deciding on Denver. With McCoy and Musgrave on board, Denver's offense will have a chance to take a big step forward in 2017.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9346/bill-musgrave

DraftBoy
01-13-2017, 02:59 PM
How the hell did they pull that off?

justasportsfan
01-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Pats are 6th in Rushing

Opened up by their passing game. My point is that they don't need a running game.

kingJofNYC
01-13-2017, 03:03 PM
This staff is a mess, you're only as good as your coordinators.

Ed
01-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I expect it will.

No decent coach would take a demotion when there are lateral moves available.
Coaches take demotions all the time. It's how they stay in the league.

HAMMER
01-13-2017, 04:12 PM
This staff is a mess, you're only as good as your coordinators.

A mess? WE don't have the staff filled out yet, how can it be a mess? Another whiney, negative Bills fan, gotta love em.

sudzy
01-13-2017, 04:12 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9346/bill-musgrave[/FONT][/COLOR]

Funny Musgrave would rather be a position coach with Denver then Buffalo OC. Part of what was being sold to us was McDermott came with McCoy and now that's not true. We are going to end up with a nobody at OC.

paladin warrior
01-13-2017, 04:32 PM
How about hire Mike Shanahan or Mike Pittine to be OC .. Wade Phillips went to Rams DC

kingJofNYC
01-13-2017, 04:43 PM
A mess? WE don't have the staff filled out yet, how can it be a mess? Another whiney, negative Bills fan, gotta love em.

We kept our **** ST Coordinator, go check out our ST DVOA, straight trash homie. Frazier is nothing to write home about, and we missed on two OCs. To be fair, I don't care much about Musgrave, wanted McCoy. We'll see how things shake out, I always assume the worst, 17 years of ineptitude will do that.

YardRat
01-13-2017, 04:44 PM
That's a huge coup for Denver getting both McCoy and Musgrave.

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Coaches take demotions all the time. It's how they stay in the league.

They take demotions when they have no other options. Musgrave did have options.

BertSquirtgum
01-13-2017, 05:13 PM
****ing sucks big time

YardRat
01-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Bill Musgrave
Ken Dorsey
Duce Staley
Mark Trestman
Brad Childress
Matt Nagy

Not that I'd like to look at him, but I'll throw Mornhinweg's name in the mix for the hell of it. Either he or Childress would require the 'Asst Head Coach' tag though.

Ed
01-13-2017, 07:00 PM
They take demotions when they have no other options. Musgrave did have options.
You don't know that. Just because there are a few OC openings doesn't mean that those HCs wanted Musgrave. If he's that great why did the Raiders move on from him?

The Jokeman
01-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Bill Musgrave
Ken Dorsey
Duce Staley
Mark Trestman
Brad Childress
Matt Nagy

The bolded guys are ones I favor. Nagy is a guy I think could be on the cusp toss in think he could help bring Nick Files here if we let Tyrod go.

Mace
01-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Not that I'd like to look at him, but I'll throw Mornhinweg's name in the mix for the hell of it. Either he or Childress would require the 'Asst Head Coach' tag though.

Asst head coach isn't viewed as promotion though by the NFL and Mornhinweg is under contract as OC of the Ravens. At this point, geez, Childress I guess. Woo.

Buffalogic
01-13-2017, 07:36 PM
I'd be happy with whisenhunt

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 07:49 PM
You don't know that. Just because there are a few OC openings doesn't mean that those HCs wanted Musgrave. If he's that great why did the Raiders move on from him?

Well he didn't make the rounds but I'm sure he could have gotten an offer. And Elway was read to fire McCoy but the Chargers hired him as their head coach.

justasportsfan
01-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Maybe McDermott is the next Bellicheat who doesnt need big named coordinators. He creates them

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2017, 08:02 PM
McDermot D's have outperformed their talent in every season he's been a DC.

How do you figure? Carolina has been stacked on D for years. Kuechly, Davis, Hardy, Lotuleilei, Ealy, Norman, Charles Johnson, Munnerlyn, etc

Mahdi
01-13-2017, 08:07 PM
How do you figure? Carolina has been stacked on D for years. Kuechly, Davis, Hardy, Lotuleilei, Ealy, Norman, Charles Johnson, Munnerlyn, etc

dont forget Kawaan Short....

I'm not saying I don't like McDermott, but his overall plan and assistants thus far has been bad. It's disappointing.

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 09:22 PM
dont forget Kawaan Short....

I'm not saying I don't like McDermott, but his overall plan and assistants thus far has been bad. It's disappointing.

You're kidding, right?

Mace
01-13-2017, 09:41 PM
You're kidding, right?

Tampa-2, baby.

BertSquirtgum
01-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Bills should hire Peyton Manning as the offensive coordinator.

Mace
01-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Bills should hire Peyton Manning as the offensive coordinator.

More likely JP Losman because he's "matured".

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Tampa-2, baby.

Read BI's thread on McDermott's defense.

Ed
01-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Well he didn't make the rounds but I'm sure he could have gotten an offer. And Elway was read to fire McCoy but the Chargers hired him as their head coach.
Why are you so sure? Maybe he didn't make the rounds because no one wanted to interview him for their OC spot. All of the new HCs have already reached out to the candidates on their lists. It's not like the Broncos needed to hire a QB coach today. They could have waited a day or two if Musgrave was actually asked to interview for an OC job.

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Why are you so sure? Maybe he didn't make the rounds because no one wanted to interview him for their OC spot. All of the new HCs have already reached out to the candidates on their lists. It's not like the Broncos needed to hire a QB coach today. They could have waited a day or two if Musgrave was actually asked to interview for an OC job.

If they really wanted him as a QB coach, interviewing him ASAP and getting him signed before visiting other teams (don't let him leave the building!) makes perfect sense.

YardRat
01-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Asst head coach isn't viewed as promotion though by the NFL and Mornhinweg is under contract as OC of the Ravens. At this point, geez, Childress I guess. Woo.

Are you sure? Did they change something? Isn't Childress OC in KC?

Luisito23
01-14-2017, 02:38 AM
Anyone but Van Pelt...

He's a horrible OC...:poop:

DraftBoy
01-14-2017, 06:00 AM

Co-OC with Nagy.

sudzy
01-14-2017, 06:11 AM
Two names to watch for OC Duce Staley and Matt Nagy. Both have no experience at calling plays ( Reid calls the plays in KC)

DraftBoy
01-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Two names to watch for OC Duce Staley and Matt Nagy. Both have no experience at calling plays ( Reid calls the plays in KC)

Staley was Shady's RB Coach when he had his highest career rushing total. Nagy took over for Pederson, with Childress, when he left for the Eagles HC job. Former AFL QB.

sudzy
01-14-2017, 07:20 AM
Staley was Shady's RB Coach when he had his highest career rushing total. Nagy took over for Pederson, with Childress, when he left for the Eagles HC job. Former AFL QB.

Hooray!!

Goobylal
01-14-2017, 09:01 AM
Word is that McCoy was going to be fired by Elway before the Chargers made him HC. And Musgrave was let-go by the Raiders. You're either looking at retreads who were previously fired or young-up-and-comers. At this point, they should take their time and go for the young up-and-comer.

Mace
01-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Heh, I forgot Childress was with KC for some reason. A team can give permission for anyone under contract for anything, but can refuse permission for anything lateral. Anything lateral considered not a promotion to head coach.

Assistant coaches (all positions other than head coach are considered assistants) can only interview for head coaching positions during the week after Wild Card week UNLESS his team has a bye, in which case the interviews have to be finished before the final Wild Card game is over.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/29/cowboys-staff-could-get-raided-for-these-coaches-permission-or-not/

Mace
01-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Read BI's thread on McDermott's defense.

We didn't hire McDermott to be DC, McDermott hired Tampa-2 Frazier to be DC supported so far by Tampa-2 Babich. You can ignore that if you want, but McDermott didn't hire disciples of his defensive background tree.

In case you weren't paying attention, I've posted multiple links to McDermott defense in appropriate threads so I don't have to read another. And one more time, we didn't hire McDermott as DC.

YardRat
01-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Has there been any actual confirmation of this hire yet? Joseph was on the Sirius NFL channel this morning and said they haven't settled on an OC yet, but McCoy was interviewed for the job.

Mace
01-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Has there been any actual confirmation of this hire yet? Joseph was on the Sirius NFL channel this morning and said they haven't settled on an OC yet, but McCoy was interviewed for the job.

Well...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/