PDA

View Full Version : Deep Dive Into The Sean McDermott Defense

BillsImpossible
01-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Great read with some really interesting video.

Players are going to be lovin' "Micky D's," defensive system.

Instead of being complicated and exotic, it's a system that is easy to learn and uses common sense defense.

Instead of thinking too much, players will be able to play football and not worry about being a coach of the field.

McDermott's defense is NOT a "Tampa 2," system. It's Cover 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Elements of Jim Schwartz's Wide 9 are incorporated, which will make Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson very happy in 2017.

Marcell Dareus will be motivated to play football again next year.

I don't think Kyle or Aaron Williams will retire after reading this.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

New Bills head coach Sean McDermott will bring an assailing, player-empowering, straight-forward, one-gap, zone-heavy defense to Buffalo.

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 09:29 PM
But, but, but...Leslie Frazier is a Tampa-2 guy.

Mace
01-13-2017, 09:35 PM

So is Babich. Do your research. We didn't hire McDermott as DC.

BillsImpossible
01-13-2017, 10:28 PM

That's true, but if you think McDermott is going to let Frazier run his own defense, you're kidding yourself.

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Really? What defense did Babich run in Jax as DC from 2013-2015? What's that you say, not the Tampa-2?

Like I said, the defensive coaches will run the system head coach (McDermott) wants. You can believe otherwise if you want to, it doesn't make a difference. But I'll let you say "I told you so" if at any time the Bills' defense become synonymous with "Tampa-2."

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Mace
01-13-2017, 11:08 PM

You know, I really hoped it was Wayne.

Mace
01-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Really? What defense did Babich run in Jax as DC from 2013-2015? What's that you say, not the Tampa-2?

Like I said, the defensive coaches will run the system head coach (McDermott) wants. You can believe otherwise if you want to, it doesn't make a difference. But I'll let you say "I told you so" if at any time the Bills' defense become synonymous with "Tampa-2."

Heh, ok.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618070/article/jaguars-fire-defensive-coordinator-bob-babich

He's real good out of his comfort zone.

So...in your view, we're hiring career Tampa-2 guys to not run a Tampa-2 ?

Goobylal
01-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Heh, ok.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618070/article/jaguars-fire-defensive-coordinator-bob-babich

He's real good out of his comfort zone.

So...in your view, we're hiring career Tampa-2 guys to not run a Tampa-2 ?

For starters, Babich won't be DC; he'll be LB coach. Some guys just are best-served at a certain level and for Babich it's LB's. Second of all, he's been coaching since 1985, decades before he went to the Bears to run the Tampa-2.

Some guys are best-served at a certain level. Babich isn't a DC. He's a LB coach, which is what he'll do in Buffalo.

sudzy
01-14-2017, 06:53 AM

Why will they reward players with cheeseburgers and pot-brownies? IMO, Marcell is the next Albert Haynesworth. He's got his money, he doesn't need anything more from football.

Night Train
01-14-2017, 07:01 AM

Chicken Little plays well here to the 8-24 year old demographic.

" Tampa 2 ! The sky is falling ! "

All has been decided in mid-January, when in fact we know nothing.

sudzy
01-14-2017, 07:18 AM
I don't know what defense we're running, I don't know what offense we're running. I do know that this is the 7th HC the Bills have had in the 17 years of the drought. They've brought in a 1st time DC and OC HCs, former HCs that were DCs and OCs, a college coach, a big name HC and now I feel like we're on our 2nd trip around. In fact of the 18 HCs the Bills have had only 4 had winning records and one of those was one game over 500. In fact they just fired the coach that had the 5th best winning percentage after 2 years. So your going to have to forgive me if I don't buy into the Bills finally doing something right.

DynaPaul
01-14-2017, 07:38 AM

$100 million is all the motivation he needs. For that money he should be happy doing anything including fetching water.

Goobylal
01-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Chicken Little plays well here to the 8-24 year old demographic.

" Tampa 2 ! The sky is falling ! "

All has been decided in mid-January, when in fact we know nothing.

I do know they won't be running the Tampa-2. Mace is just perseverating on his misperception that they will, based solely on the assistant defensive coaches they hired.

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2017, 09:29 AM
So, the Bills hire a DC as their head coach. As a DC, he was fairly successful until last year when free agency and injuries hurt his defense. Now as head coach he hires experienced people who have been in the league for many years and all of a sudden he is going to go away from the defense he has run?

Successful coaches put their players in a position where they can play their best. I am hoping this is the case. McDermott seems to be a guy that will be in on all decisions regarding coaching and is detail oriented. I doubt he would "let" his coaches run schemes that he doesn't agree with.

Goobylal
01-14-2017, 09:37 AM
So, the Bills hire a DC as their head coach. As a DC, he was fairly successful until last year when free agency and injuries hurt his defense. Now as head coach he hires experienced people who have been in the league for many years and all of a sudden he is going to go away from the defense he has run?

Successful coaches put their players in a position where they can play their best. I am hoping this is the case. McDermott seems to be a guy that will be in on all decisions regarding coaching and is detail oriented. I doubt he would "let" his coaches run schemes that he doesn't agree with.

Yeah, seems like common sense, eh?