PDA

View Full Version : First Time HC And An Obsolete Defense...

jamze132
01-14-2017, 04:45 AM
I'm praying that we don't run a Tampa 2 but it's looking like it...

What could possibly go wrong?

sudzy
01-14-2017, 05:24 AM
I feel like we've been here before.

swiper
01-14-2017, 05:47 AM
It's Jauron repeat until it's not.

Night Train
01-14-2017, 06:06 AM
http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/7/9/5873829/breaking-down-the-leslie-frazier-defense-a-safer-approach-cover-two

I believe McDermott hired someone he knew from his Philly days and stayed close to over the years. Assuming he's tossing away his D scheme and handing it to Frazier to run a base Tampa 2 doesn't seem realistic at all. Rushing to connect dots that might not be happening.

I'm guessing Frazier remembers the Jim Johnson era of Defense in Philly like our HC and will know what McDermott wants. That's probably more or the reasoning for his hire. They trust their line of communication as friends who respect each other.

McDermott is not some lost soul on D looking for a scheme. He has one. The Tampa 2 is not the only D Frazier has ever known. He ran with it for a while and will take orders from his new coach.

Goobylal
01-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Did the Ravens run a Tampa-2 with Frazier there? Did the Jags run a Tampa-2 with Babich there? Use your brains people!

OpIv37
01-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Did the Ravens run a Tampa-2 with Frazier there? Did the Jags run a Tampa-2 with Babich there? Use your brains people!

You can't blame people for being skeptical. This organization hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

DesertFox24
01-14-2017, 11:27 AM
He said players dictate the scheme. I like hearing that as that is the first coach to say that since I do not know when. All of the previous coaches wanted to run their system but not let the players dictate it.

That At said it is just words so until we see it next season we will
ever know

Mace
01-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Try using yours. Frazier wasn't the DC like he will be here, and Babich wasn't working under a Tampa-2 guy like he will be here.

Anyway, it will become more obvious, or not, if they hire more assistants from the Lovie Smith coaching tree,

Goobylal
01-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Try using yours. Frazier wasn't the DC like he will be here, and Babich wasn't working under a Tampa-2 guy like he will be here.

Anyway, it will become more obvious, or not, if they hire more assistants from the Lovie Smith coaching tree,

They can hire all the assistants from the Lovie Smith coaching tree they want. Unless and until I hear them say they're moving to Tampa-2, they're not moving to a Tampa-2.

Mace
01-14-2017, 07:49 PM
They can hire all the assistants from the Lovie Smith coaching tree they want. Unless and until I hear them say they're moving to Tampa-2, they're not moving to a Tampa-2.

Fair enough. But if they say they are you can at least try to keep telling me maybe they won't because I'll be pretty upset.

BertSquirtgum
01-14-2017, 08:18 PM
My god. They are not going to be running the tampa-2 defense people. Get a grip.

Mace
01-14-2017, 08:27 PM
My god. They are not going to be running the tampa-2 defense people. Get a grip.

As soon as they don't hire a Lovie Smith DB coach and say they won't be running a Tampa-2 defense.

Goobylal
01-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Fair enough. But if they say they are you can at least try to keep telling me maybe they won't because I'll be pretty upset.

Hey, if they say they're moving to a Tampa-2, I'll get out 2 pitchforks.

jamze132
01-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Just sayin'...

Ingtar33
01-15-2017, 12:54 AM
well McD's defense is just a modified version of the T-2 anyway.

Fixxxer
01-15-2017, 07:25 AM
well McD's defense is just a modified version of the T-2 anyway.

people hear Tampa-2 or Cover-2 and think the players rigidly stationed in their positions with the MLB dropping back with the safeties over the top, rinse and repeat for every play. There's a good reason for it and that's how Jauron ran his version of that D.

If you watch some of the film available of the Panthers D, there's a lot of movement in the defensive backfield, with CBs or Ss blitzing from time to time. I don't know if Frazier is a creative playcaller but I have to guess McD will try to instill some of his personality to the defense.

swiper
01-15-2017, 07:29 AM
Bills fans that hear Tampa-2 think about Dick Jauron and Coy Wire. I understand where Mace is coming from, but tend to agree all these guys have adapted to today's game like other posters have talked about. I think in general these are good coaches with credibility in the players eyes. It's always good to have position coaches with experience. The disciplinarian description helps too. To me, it means that practice sessions are more productive than with a players-friendly guy.

Most "worried" as a fan as to who they will tab as OC. Without a QB in place, that hire is going to be tricky.