PDA

View Full Version : Time for Eichel to step up

coastal
01-15-2017, 07:49 AM
This entire organization went into the crapper for one player.

That player turned out to be Jack Eichel. Two years later, the team is floundering not only into obscurity... but into position to have a legit shot at the top pick in the next draft.

I fully realize Jack is a 20 year old kid, but it's time for Jack to start carrying the burden of being "the man" in Buffalo. That ownership is more than throwing a temper tantrum in a post game lockeroom. Beginning next year, he needs to wear the C. This year, he needs to start taking over with how he performs on ice.

As he so "poignantly" bellowed leading up to the draft... "Buffalo! I'm coming for you!"

Well Jack... you're here.

Time to own it!

Ginger Vitis
01-15-2017, 10:16 AM
He hasn't been as dominant As Id like this year but the Sabres are nowhere near being the worst team in the NHL

coastal
01-15-2017, 12:14 PM
No where near the worst... were 4th last.

JATMtheJATM
01-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I read earlier this year that the injury will hinder Jack for the rest of the season and he won't be himself. It was a prediction due to the type of injury, but it seems about right. Some nights, he has it, others he doesnt.

Skooby
01-16-2017, 03:54 AM

Let them dream of the Sabres getting above .500, we touched it ~once this season.

JATMtheJATM
01-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Jack with two today. Not bad. He's on pace for over 60 points in a full season, which would be an Improvement over last year, which i feel is at least good

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2017, 04:56 PM
the kid is so strong. The EN goal was all about him not being able to be taken off the puck.

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2017, 04:59 PM

And 16 points above last.

Certainly they are below where they should be, but they aren't close to last

Novacane
01-16-2017, 08:19 PM
I read earlier this year that the injury will hinder Jack for the rest of the season and he won't be himself. It was a prediction due to the type of injury, but it seems about right. Some nights, he has it, others he doesnt.

I'm not buying that and I bet Eichel wouldn't either.

Novacane
01-16-2017, 08:28 PM
And Eichel is doing just fine Coastal. I was hoping he'd approach 40 goals this year and at his .45 gpg he would be at 37 goals over 81 games. He does need to get more consistent in the second half and I agree he needs to be wearing the C next season.

Yasgur's Farm
01-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Let them dream of the Sabres getting above .500, we touched it ~once this season.Not that I'm happy with the team at this point... But... They've been above .500 several times this season. Let's not start making **** up.

swiper
01-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Eichel is not this teams problems. The kid has talent. He's getting better at his own rate. The GM has to put better talent around him and go get a real goaltender. These two are not the answer.

coastal
01-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Eichel is not this teams problems. The kid has talent. He's getting better at his own rate. The GM has to put better talent around him and go get a real goaltender. These two are not the answer.
Who is the leader on this team?

Who should be the leader on this team?

swiper
01-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Who is the leader on this team?

Who should be the leader on this team?

O'Reilly.

You cannot expect a rookie to step in and do that type of thing day one.

coastal
01-17-2017, 04:22 PM
O'Reilly.

You cannot expect a rookie to step in and do that type of thing day one.
Do u ****ing read?

"Time"

swiper
01-17-2017, 06:04 PM
There was nothing about time in your post.

coastal
01-17-2017, 09:12 PM
There was nothing about time in your post.

It's in the thread title.

swiper
01-18-2017, 06:25 AM
It's in the thread title.

Yeah, well then I disagree with you. It's not time for him to usurp leadership of the team yet. Let him develop some more. Stop being an impatient fan who wants instant gratification. You know better. It takes some time. More than he's had. And he doesn't have much of a team around him yet to fully shine. So he's got some developing to do. And the GM has a team to finish building. He's only about halfway there - depending upon what you think of Ennis' future IMO.

coastal
01-18-2017, 06:51 AM
Yeah, well then I disagree with you. It's not time for him to usurp leadership of the team yet. Let him develop some more. Stop being an impatient fan who wants instant gratification. You know better. It takes some time. More than he's had. And he doesn't have much of a team around him yet to fully shine. So he's got some developing to do. And the GM has a team to finish building. He's only about halfway there - depending upon what you think of Ennis' future IMO.
Edmonton and Connor McDavid are telling you to stfu.

CommissarSpartacus
01-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Not to mention the Leafs and Austin Matthews.

This Leaf team could make me a hockey fan again.

coastal
01-18-2017, 09:12 AM
They're fun to watch.

So much skill... Matthews, Marner, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Reilly!

Not to mention that they're extremely well coached.

Historian
01-18-2017, 09:31 AM
I think he is a fine young talent, but nothing I have seen says "generational player" to me.

CommissarSpartacus
01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
They're fun to watch.

So much skill... Matthews, Marner, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Reilly!

Not to mention that they're extremely well coached.

Nylander and Jake Gardiner and Freddy Anderson and Connor Brown and and Zach Hyman.

And Babcock is a great coach.

Plus they have a promising group down with the Marlies.

The future is extremely rosy...

Ginger Vitis
01-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Posters (ahem MMD) have erroneously called Eichel a generational talent.. Their have only been 5 generational talents in the last 35 years...

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Posters (ahem MMD) have erroneously called Eichel a generational talent.. Their have only been 5 generational talents in the last 35 years...

I think he's going to end up damn close though

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Nylander and Jake Gardiner and Freddy Anderson and Connor Brown and and Zach Hyman.

The Marlie's are last in the division. Or were just a few days ago, I haven't checked. Also, lehner is younger and has better numbers than andersson

coastal
01-18-2017, 04:55 PM
I think he's going to end up damn close though
Mike Bossy
Ray Bourque
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier
Sydney Crosby
Jaromir Jagr
Mario Lemieux
Connor McDavid

Those are generational talents... Jack Eichel isn't in the same league as any of these players.

swiper
01-18-2017, 05:55 PM

Different players. Different situations. So you can STFU yourself.

swiper
01-18-2017, 05:59 PM
Mike Bossy
Ray Bourque
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier
Sydney Crosby
Jaromir Jagr
Mario Lemieux
Connor McDavid

Those are generational talents... Jack Eichel isn't in the same league as any of these players.

No, but if he became something akin to the next Joe Thornton that would be ok.

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2017, 06:41 PM
No, but if he became something akin to the next Joe Thornton that would be ok.

Or tavares or stamkos

Ginger Vitis
01-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Mike Bossy
Ray Bourque
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier
Sydney Crosby
Jaromir Jagr
Mario Lemieux
Connor McDavid

I consider Eric Lindros to have been a generational talent entering the NHL

coastal
01-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Agreed... concussions got the best of him.

coastal
01-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Or tavares or stamkos
He has a lot to prove to earn that distinction IMO.

I'm curious to see what he produces down the stretch once it becomes mathematically clearer we're out of contention.

coastal
01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Different players. Different situations. So you can STFU yourself.
How is it different?

1a.
1b.

same draft year.

One is the the captain of his team, is 4th in pts/game, leading the league in points and assists, and has his team in playoff contention.

The other one isn't a captain, is tied for 68th in pts/game, tied for 230th in points, and threw one lockeroom temper tantrum on a team that is currently in strong contention for the draft lotto.

It's time for him to step up and take some ownership.

right.

****ing.

now.

coastal
01-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Oh... and Hasek. He was the best ever.

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2017, 08:13 PM
He has a lot to prove to earn that distinction IMO.

I'm curious to see what he produces down the stretch once it becomes mathematically clearer we're out of contention.

Numbers wise, he's on par with tavares and almost jagr too

coastal
01-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Numbers wise, he's on par with tavares and almost jagr too
Tavares = .91 points/game
Jagr = 1.14 points/game
Eichel = .70 points/game

um... not really.

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Tavares = .91 points/game
Jagr = 1.14 points/game
Eichel = .70 points/game

um... not really.

Through this stage of their career. Sorry. After a season and a half

coastal
01-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Jagr through 1st two years = .84 points/game
Jagr 3rd year = 1.16 points/game

Tavares through 1st two years = .66
Tavres 3rd year = 1 points/game

Eichel through 1.5 years = .7
Eichel 3rd year = time to step up and prove it at 1 point/game for the next 5+ years just like Tavares has.

JATMtheJATM
01-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Jagr through 1st two years = .84 points/game
Jagr 3rd year = 1.16 points/game

Tavares through 1st two years = .66
Tavres 3rd year = 1 points/game

Eichel through 1.5 years = .7
Eichel 3rd year = time to step up and prove it at 1 point/game for the next 5+ years just like Tavares has.

Well, for sure Eichel has to step up and prove that distinction, but we can't hold something against him when he hasn't gotten to that road yet. To me, so far, Eichel is right there. He also needs guys to play with. Not ****ing gionta and foligno

coastal
01-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Well, for sure Eichel has to step up and prove that distinction, but we can't hold something against him when he hasn't gotten to that road yet. To me, so far, Eichel is right there. He also needs guys to play with. Not ****ing gionta and foligno
Totally agree. Evander Kane isn't the right guy either.

Give him Vanek on the right side... not sure who on the left... curious about what Nylander brings to the table. I've also heard that Arizona may have soured on duclair.

swiper
01-19-2017, 04:22 AM
How is it different?

1a.
1b.

same draft year.

One is the the captain of his team, is 4th in pts/game, leading the league in points and assists, and has his team in playoff contention.

The other one isn't a captain, is tied for 68th in pts/game, tied for 230th in points, and threw one lockeroom temper tantrum on a team that is currently in strong contention for the draft lotto.

It's time for him to step up and take some ownership.

right.

****ing.

now.

They were different players. McDavid went first for a reason. Everyone agreed he was that generational player. Calm down and give it another year, would ya? This team is a cluster ****.

coastal
01-19-2017, 05:53 AM
They were different players. McDavid went first for a reason. Everyone agreed he was that generational player. Calm down and give it another year, would ya? This team is a cluster ****.
I'm sick and tired of giving it another year...

JATMtheJATM
01-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Give him Vanek on the right side... not sure who on the left... curious about what Nylander brings to the table. I've also heard that Arizona may have soured on duclair.

I like the duclair idea

JATMtheJATM
01-19-2017, 10:48 AM

For the record, I'd bring gionta back next year for leadership. He's not dead weight. But I'd move him at the deadline for parts

Ginger Vitis
01-19-2017, 05:05 PM
I think it was Mike Morreale of NHL .com who said around the 2015 draft he would rather have Eichel alone than both Mitch Marner and Dylan Strome... At this point I think id rather have Marner and Strome

coastal
01-19-2017, 05:49 PM
I think it was Mike Morreale of NHL .com who said around the 2015 draft he would rather have Eichel alone than both Mitch Marner and Dylan Strome... At this point I think id rather have Marner and Strome

Perhaps, but a lot of this is coaching IMO.

how is Blysma pushing the buttons... all I'm seeing is him placating by saying Jack and Samson r going to play more together.

**** that ****...

Jack you're 1C Kane and Ennis r your wingers... we're going to find someone else who you can play with but take some ownership for these two the rest of the year.
Sam you're 2C. ROR and Okposo are your wingers. You guys are going to be he best 2nd line the NHL.

then hold them to it!

coastal
01-19-2017, 08:52 PM
I like the duclair idea

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/coyotes-send-anthony-duclair-tucson-011917%3Famp%3Dtrue?client=safari

JATMtheJATM
01-19-2017, 09:49 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/coyotes-send-anthony-duclair-tucson-011917%3Famp%3Dtrue?client=safari

I'd go after him. Another young player that could play the wing and come into his prime at the same time as the other youngsters

Crisis
01-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Reuniting Samson and Duclair would be lovely.

JATMtheJATM
01-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Two assists for Eichel. Good game for him

JATMtheJATM
01-25-2017, 12:26 AM
Two goals including the OT winner. He looks like he's getting going

JATMtheJATM
01-25-2017, 12:59 AM

Skooby
01-25-2017, 01:47 AM
Jack had a tough start to the season & I'm seeing he looks to finally be getting past his injury. High ankle sprains are nothing to mess with & the severity of them can last well / effect well past the time of being able to play. I'm not making any excuses, just pointing out what I'm seeing. 2 assists last game as well so he's obviously playing better.

coastal
01-25-2017, 05:50 AM
He read my thread.

youre all welcome.

Novacane
01-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Don't be too proud of yourself. If you would have called him out sooner we'd be a playoff spot.

Night Train
01-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Fools gold.

Novacane
02-13-2017, 12:58 AM
-3 tonight.

JATMtheJATM
02-26-2017, 08:24 PM
This is game 41 for Jack. He scored his 14th.

So over an 82 game season, he's on pace for 28 goals, 70 points. In today's league, that's damn good.

JATMtheJATM
02-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Another assist

Skooby
02-27-2017, 01:43 AM
Another assist

Watched the game walk away. McDavid's team might make the playoffs thanks to him, we got a 2nd tier first round pick.

JATMtheJATM
02-27-2017, 02:34 AM
Watched the game walk away. McDavid's team might make the playoffs thanks to him, we got a 2nd tier first round pick.

Yeah, it sucks drafting a player in the tavares/stamkos tier. </s>

Skooby
02-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Yeah, it sucks drafting a player in the tavares/stamkos tier.
It's set us up quite nicely for another lottery pick.

JATMtheJATM
02-27-2017, 09:40 AM
It's set us up quite nicely for another lottery pick.

Through no fault if his own

coastal
02-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Jack did step up.

Unfortunately... Kane, ROR, Samson, Jack, Okposo, Rasmus, Foligno, McCabe and Lehner can't make a team by themselves.

We need to get rid of dead wood in any way possible.

JATMtheJATM
02-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Jack did step up.

Unfortunately... Kane, ROR, Samson, Jack, Okposo, Rasmus, Foligno, McCabe and Lehner can't make a team by themselves.

Bingo. Part of that process is through June's draft. The other part is trades and free agency. Karl alzner is a UFA...

ckg927
02-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Jack did step up.

Believe me....the Penguins, Hawks and LA Kings went through the same process we're going through now. Longer time of pain, but in the end it's well worth it.

Keep in mind one piece of dead wood goes in the expansion draft. AND we still have the trade deadline on March 1st.

ckg927
02-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Bingo. Part of that process is through June's draft. The other part is trades and free agency. Karl alzner is a UFA...

If...and that's a REALLY big IF...Buffalo gets Alzner, who would he pair up with D-wise?

JATMtheJATM
02-27-2017, 11:24 AM
If...and that's a REALLY big IF...Buffalo gets Alzner, who would he pair up with D-wise?

Haven't figured that out yet

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2017, 08:46 PM
40 points in 43 games. He is a franchise pillar

coastal
03-02-2017, 08:47 PM
He read my thread

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2017, 08:48 PM
He read my thread

Start one about girgs.

coastal
03-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Start one about girgs.
Did you see the one shift where Girgs centered for Foligno and Kane?

Talk about an absolute force of a line!

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2017, 02:29 AM
Did you see the one shift where Girgs centered for Foligno and Kane?

Talk about an absolute force of a line!

Towards the end of the game?

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Sure he is no Mcdavid but he will certainly be one of the top 10 players in the league for many years to come.

Eichel is great and only 20.

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Sure he is no Mcdavid but he will certainly be one of the top 10 players in the league for many years to come.

Eichel is great and only 20.

MMD is the king of ****posting. Don't mind him

DetDannyWilliams
03-04-2017, 11:04 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The numbers don&#39;t lie.<a href="https://twitter.com/Jack_Eichel11">@Jack_Eichel11</a> is one of the most productive players in the <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL">@NHL</a> - just look at these stats: <a href="https://t.co/HVZ3DKMzgq">https://t.co/HVZ3DKMzgq</a> <a href="https://t.co/jHubuuJjgN">pic.twitter.com/jHubuuJjgN</a></p>&mdash; Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/837771000288792580">March 3, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JATMtheJATM
03-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Jack with another apple in RORs goal

JATMtheJATM
03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/jack-eichel-has-quietly-been-very-good-and-greatness-isn-t-far-off#

Have a read, nerds. Nope. He isn't mcdavid. He doesn't have to be

swiper
03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/jack-eichel-has-quietly-been-very-good-and-greatness-isn-t-far-off#

Have a read, nerds. Nope. He isn't mcdavid. He doesn't have to be

Team would have gelled a lot sooner. But injuries happen to every team. So you can't use it as an excuse in professional sports.

JATMtheJATM
03-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Team would have gelled a lot sooner. But injuries happen to every team. So you can't use it as an excuse in professional sports.

I don't think anyone really is. It's just saying "what if? "

coastal
03-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Blysma seems settled on having Samson as Jack's RW. The question for me is do they go all skill and pencil Nylander in on the LW next year, keep Foligno there, or look for another option?

Personally I'm hoping they can go all skill on that line and pencil in Nylander.

JATMtheJATM
03-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Blysma seems settled on having Samson as Jack's RW. The question for me is do they go all skill and pencil Nylander in on the LW next year, keep Foligno there, or look for another option?

Personally I'm hoping they can go all skill on that line and pencil in Nylander.

I feel Nylander needs another season of Rochester. He's growing nicely, but he's still green

coastal
03-06-2017, 09:09 PM
From the sound of it I think you're right.

Another year on the Amerks and spot visits to the big club seems to be the prudent idea.

JATMtheJATM
03-06-2017, 10:06 PM
From the sound of it I think you're right.

Another year on the Amerks and spot visits to the big club seems to be the prudent idea.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Maybe find a LW through trade or free agency even if it is a stop gap.

coastal
03-07-2017, 04:34 AM
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Maybe find a LW through trade or free agency even if it is a stop gap.
Id rather see Boyle get a contract to be our 3rd line pivot. Have Kane on his left wing and Bailey on his right wing. Talk about one heavy line that would be very difficult to deal with.

Leave Foligno - Eichel - Reinhart that way for an entire year.

The challenge then becomes who plays with ROR and Okposo. Personally I don't think Vanek will get the contract or payday he's looking for. He's going to be doomed to one or two year contracts from here on out. Look for a vet on a one year deal here.

That leaves Girgs, Ennis, Moulson and Larson rounding out he 4th line and depth.

DetDannyWilliams
03-07-2017, 07:54 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Jack_Eichel11">@Jack_Eichel11</a> beats Mason - all tied up 2-2! ����<br><br>That&#39;s his ��th career <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL">@NHL</a> point - congrats, Jack! <a href="https://t.co/Sah27Y4GQR">pic.twitter.com/Sah27Y4GQR</a></p>&mdash; Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/839292521297629184">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>

Novacane
03-07-2017, 07:54 PM
2 more points so far tonight. His dad said the injury was still affecting him when he first came back. If the last month is what we can expect from a fully healthy Jack next year could be fun.

JATMtheJATM
03-07-2017, 08:33 PM
2 more points so far tonight. His dad said the injury was still affecting him when he first came back. If the last month is what we can expect from a fully healthy Jack next year could be fun.

And some guys around him to play with

DetDannyWilliams
03-07-2017, 09:05 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eichel continues piling up points with his 3rd point of the night.<br><br>Leads the <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL">@NHL</a> since Feb. 1 with 24 points. <a href="https://t.co/uVy81exaX4">pic.twitter.com/uVy81exaX4</a></p>&mdash; Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/839311076512563201">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>

Novacane
03-07-2017, 09:42 PM
He's the only reason to watch anymore games this season.

JATMtheJATM
03-21-2017, 02:32 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bylsma-eichels-two-way-development-has-been-process

Eichel defensive game is improving vastly

DetDannyWilliams
03-21-2017, 03:04 PM
21G 50 Pts. (Leads Team)

Yasgur's Farm
03-22-2017, 11:48 AM
That's 77 points projected over 82 games this season.
Compared to 57 points projected over 82 games last season.

Plus... He's been scoring at a much better pace over the last 25 games.

1st 28 games this season... 21 points projects to 62 points over 82 games
last 25 games this season... 29 points projects to 95 points over 82 games

Anybody got any complaints on his production or growth?

coastal
03-22-2017, 12:07 PM
What was the date 25 games ago?

Yasgur's Farm
03-22-2017, 02:24 PM
I believe it was the 1st game in February

coastal
03-22-2017, 04:27 PM
I believe it was the 1st game in February
And the thread start date?

:popcorn:

Yasgur's Farm
03-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Your point?

coastal
03-22-2017, 08:36 PM
You don't think 19 and 20 y.o. kids read this?

OpIv37
03-22-2017, 09:22 PM
You don't think 19 and 20 y.o. kids read this?

19 and 20 yo kids don't read message boards. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, texts, yeah. But not email or message boards. That's for GenX'ers and boomers who got on the Internet

Yasgur's Farm
03-23-2017, 09:50 AM
You don't think 19 and 20 y.o. kids read this?I honestly have zero idea of what you're getting at.

Novacane
03-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Eichel read Costals thread and stepped up! Come on YF it ain't rocket science!

JATMtheJATM
03-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Rocket appliance

ICRockets
03-24-2017, 12:24 AM
Rocket defiance

swiper
03-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Rocket alliance

CommissarSpartacus
03-24-2017, 03:57 PM

Two months after the above post and things are looking even rosier for my Leafs!

I hope you guys do the stand up thing and not show up on Saturday night.

We can still win our division whereas you guys heading for the golf course!

No hard feelings though, we'll let you root for the Leafs in the playoffs!

ckg927
03-24-2017, 05:05 PM
I'd rather jump off the Peace Bridge before THAT happens.

And I'll say it right now, Spart: The ONLY way your Leafs will see the Stanley Cup is if they go to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Do you HONESTLY think you're going to take down Pittsburgh, the Rangers, Washington or Columbus? Good luck.

(As of right now, you'd be playing Ottawa...and the Leafs have only won once this season.)

DetDannyWilliams
03-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Two months after the above post and things are looking even rosier for my Leafs!

I hope you guys do the stand up thing and not show up on Saturday night.

We can still win our division whereas you guys heading for the golf course!

No hard feelings though, we'll let you root for the Leafs in the playoffs!

Sabres record against the Leafs 17-2-1 when the Leafs play in Buffalo

CommissarSpartacus
03-24-2017, 06:57 PM

This is a different team.

I haven't liked a Leafs squad this much since the Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Errol Thompson, Borje Salming, Ian Turnbull team in the 70s.

CommissarSpartacus
03-24-2017, 07:05 PM
I'd rather jump off the Peace Bridge before THAT happens.

And I'll say it right now, Spart: The ONLY way your Leafs will see the Stanley Cup is if they go to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Do you HONESTLY think you're going to take down Pittsburgh, the Rangers, Washington or Columbus? Good luck.

(As of right now, you'd be playing Ottawa...and the Leafs have only won once this season.)

The team is improving by leaps and bounds.

No, they won't win the Stanley Cup this year but they're MUCH better than anyone expected.

They're the only team in the league with 6 guys at 50+ points.

They've lost 15 games in OT, which has been a fluke. If they even lost 8 and won 7, which is still under .500, they're right up there with the Habs for first place.

They play 7 or 8 rookies everynight, and yet they've only lost 23 games in regulation, which is among the top records for fewest regulation losses.

Watch out...

coastal
03-25-2017, 06:44 AM
Borje Salmingmy hero growing up!

coastal
03-25-2017, 06:46 AM
The team is improving by leaps and bounds.

No, they won't win the Stanley Cup this year but they're MUCH better than anyone expected.

They're the only team in the league with 6 guys at 50+ points.

They've lost 15 games in OT, which has been a fluke. If they even lost 8 and won 7, which is still under .500, they're right up there with the Habs for first place.

They play 7 or 8 rookies everynight, and yet they've only lost 23 games in regulation, which is among the top records for fewest regulation losses.

Watch out...
Boyle was a GREAT pickup for the stretch run. They're just structure with great hockey people from top to bottoms and now loaded with offensive talent.

They're a Stralman type defenseman and perhaps a goalie away from competing for it all.

CommissarSpartacus
03-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Boyle was a GREAT pickup for the stretch run. They're just structure with great hockey people from top to bottoms and now loaded with offensive talent.

They're a Stralman type defenseman and perhaps a goalie away from competing for it all.

I really admire the way Babcock has handled the team.

Best $6.5 million per year the Leafs ever spent.

I think Freddy's good enough to get it done in net.

Certainly, another talented defenseman would be good.

If they can get one and sign John Tavares in the off season, look out.

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 07:19 AM
I really admire the way Babcock has handled the team.

Best $6.5 million per year the Leafs ever spent.

I think Freddy's good enough to get it done in net.

Certainly, another talented defenseman would be good.

If they can get one and sign John Tavares in the off season, look out.

Jesus Christ tavares is dirty. I want GMTM to go after him. Hard. Long shot, but he's worth a try

CommissarSpartacus
03-25-2017, 07:19 AM
my hero growing up!

I used to play tennis with him and Jim McKenny back in the late 70s.

We all lived next to the High Park tennis club. Both good guys.

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 07:20 AM
This is a different team.

I haven't liked a Leafs squad this much since the Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Errol Thompson, Borje Salming, Ian Turnbull team in the 70s.

Not even the Eastern Conference finals teams of 99?

CommissarSpartacus
03-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Jesus Christ tavares is dirty. I want GMTM to go after him. Hard. Long shot, but he's worth a try

Huh? Who? What's GMTM?

You lost me.

Oh, you meant Tavares.

CommissarSpartacus
03-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Not even the Eastern Conference finals teams of 99?

Nah.

The 93 team is next.

I happened to be in The House of Lancaster the night the Leafs had their end of the season party a couple of days after they were knocked out.

Pat Burns had taken over behind the bar. Doug Gilmore and Dave Andreychuk had girls all over them. Fun night.

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Nah.

The 93 team is next.

I happened to be in The House of Lancaster the night the Leafs had their end of the season party a couple of days after they were knocked out.

Pat Burns had taken over behind the bar. Doug Gilmore and Dave Andreychuk had girls all over them. Fun night.

Dougie Gilmore was a pretty boy and what a player

coastal
03-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Nah.

The 93 team is next.

Pat Burns had taken over behind the bar. Doug Gilmore and Dave Andreychuk had girls all over them. Fun night.being a hockey player rules.

YardRat
03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Huh? Who? What's GMTM?

You lost me.

Oh, you meant Tavares.

GMTM is General Manager Tim Murray.

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Huh? Who? What's GMTM?

You lost me.

Oh, you meant Tavares.

Sabres GM.

Mouldsie
03-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Is his uncle still in Buffalo?

DetDannyWilliams
03-25-2017, 01:41 PM

yes he's an assistant coach for the Bandits

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 02:25 PM

I've wondered if tavares would prefer buffalo over Toronto. Media scrutiny would be a fraction of what it would be in Toronto, it's already Eichels team, his uncle is a legend here and clearly loves it, and it's close enough to Toronto that it's a quick drive.

I mean, it's a long shot but what not?

CommissarSpartacus
03-25-2017, 03:23 PM
I've wondered if tavares would prefer buffalo over Toronto. Media scrutiny would be a fraction of what it would be in Toronto, it's already Eichels team, his uncle is a legend here and clearly loves it, and it's close enough to Toronto that it's a quick drive.

I mean, it's a long shot but what not?

Who knows? He may stay with the Islanders but Toronto right now has a better team than both the Islanders and Sabres.

And on the flip side of media scrutiny, if he did bring a Cup to Toronto he'd be the King of Canada.

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Who knows? He may stay with the Islanders but Toronto right now has a better team than both the Islanders and Sabres.

And on the flip side of media scrutiny, if he did bring a Cup to Toronto he'd be the King of Canada.

For sure, but Toronto always ****s that stuff up.

And Toronto may be better right now. I think the sabres will be just fine in due time

CommissarSpartacus
03-25-2017, 04:14 PM
For sure, but Toronto always ****s that stuff up.

And Toronto may be better right now. I think the sabres will be just fine in due time

New regime, new team.

Who wouldn't want to play for Mike Babcock, Shanahan and Lamourello (sp?)?

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 05:25 PM
New regime, new team.

Who wouldn't want to play for Mike Babcock, Shanahan and Lamourello (sp?)?

Eh. Babcock doesn't have a great rep with some former players. But at the same time, dude wins

JATMtheJATM
03-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Two goals tonight. Holy smokes that kids good. Matthews too

DetDannyWilliams
03-25-2017, 08:40 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jack is all of us. <a href="https://t.co/6jdMplLe7S">pic.twitter.com/6jdMplLe7S</a></p>&mdash; Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/845800667470073858">March 26, 2017</a></blockquote>

DetDannyWilliams
03-25-2017, 08:46 PM
18-2-1 NOW!!!

JATMtheJATM
03-26-2017, 01:42 AM
They are going to the playoffs. Don't get too cocky

swiper
03-26-2017, 06:36 AM

If The Islanders lose Tavares, then that team is sunk. It's bad enough that with him they are still a team that cannot fill a small arena.

DetDannyWilliams
03-28-2017, 12:30 PM
NHL tonight Kevin Weekes and analysts break down Jack Eichel technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsq-HxqQyA

DetDannyWilliams
03-28-2017, 02:02 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">55 points. 55 games.<br><br>✌��️ more points last night &amp; Eichel is producing at one of <a href="https://twitter.com/NHL">@NHL</a>&#39;s best paces. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SharpenUp?src=hash">#SharpenUp</a> ▶️ <a href="https://t.co/VPMN3eVSwx">https://t.co/VPMN3eVSwx</a> <a href="https://t.co/akXnzxYRSk">pic.twitter.com/akXnzxYRSk</a></p>&mdash; Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) <a href="https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/846733368272338944">March 28, 2017</a></blockquote>

CommissarSpartacus
04-02-2017, 06:02 AM
The Leafs certainly laid an egg in Buffalo, but has since won three in a row and have caught Ottawa for second in the division.

The rematch with the Sabres in Toronto on Monday night should be a good game. The house will be rocking.

CommissarSpartacus
04-02-2017, 06:06 AM
And last time I looked, Matthews is third in the goal scoring race behind only Crosby and Marchand.

And Nylander was named rookie of the month for the second time this year.

ckg927
04-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Seconded. Imagine what this team would be like with Eichel, O'Reilly & Tavares as the 3 main centers.

ckg927
04-02-2017, 10:35 AM
If The Islanders lose Tavares, then that team is sunk. It's bad enough that with him they are still a team that cannot fill a small arena.

Sad to say, I think the Islanders will be on the move soon. Quebec City is calling....

coastal
04-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Matthews just scored his 40th of the year and the Leafs have clinched a playoff spot.

eichel and the sabres... well they're talking about how they need improved accountability.

JATMtheJATM
04-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Matthews just scored his 40th of the year and the Leafs have clinched a playoff spot.

eichel and the sabres... well they're talking about how they need improved accountability.

Don't bag Eichel. He's been outstanding this season. Blame bylsma and Murray. They own this disappointment. Not Jack

coastal
04-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Don't bag Eichel. He's been outstanding this season. Blame bylsma and Murray. They own this disappointment. Not Jackoh I agree...

Blysma has to go. Murray has next year at the most.

JATMtheJATM
04-09-2017, 02:05 PM
oh I agree...

Unless the build finally comes through. I think it will and he knows it has to. So I'm hopeful he goes hard...

JATMtheJATM
04-09-2017, 03:33 PM
oh I agree...

Unless the build finally comes through. I think it will and he knows it has to. So I'm hopeful he goes hard...

coastal
04-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Did anyone watch his exit interview?

I fully realize he's a kid, but his hanging his head, avoiding eye contact, aloof answers... sorry but he came off like a douchebag.

there is clearly a problem in this orgamization and GMTM and Blysma are laying it squarely on the players laps. risky move... this has the makings of an epic failure next year.

YardRat
04-10-2017, 05:09 PM
You'd be pissed too if you got knocked out of a $2mil performance bonus on the last weekend of games.

coastal
04-10-2017, 08:09 PM
You'd be pissed too if you got knocked out of a $2mil performance bonus on the last weekend of games.
In spite of his production, it's my guess he's one of the guy... or the lead guy who isn't buying into Bylsma.

Kane is producer... Eichel is a producer...

both game changers... Murray/Bylsma need to figure out how to get them on their team AND hold them accountable to the team.

if it were me...

Step 1:
Jack Eichel is the captain next year.

Step 2:
Trade Samson for a puck moving D.

Step 3:
Extend Kane and put him on Jack's LW.

Skooby
04-10-2017, 11:35 PM

S--t happens, should of sat out the last few to lock in his millions if possible. Let's put the extra $2 Million towards a new downtown stadium versus paying the runner-up prize for our tank and miss of McDavid the Art Ross holder.

JATMtheJATM
04-10-2017, 11:45 PM
S--t happens, should of sat out the last few to lock in his millions if possible. Let's put the extra $2 Million towards a new downtown stadium versus paying the runner-up prize for our tank and miss of McDavid the Art Ross holder.

Your lack of hockey intellect is startling

ICRockets
04-11-2017, 01:58 AM
Your lack of hockey intellect is startling

There's an unnecessary word in this sentence, but if you take it out then we can't really justify the comment's existence on this particular forum.

Skooby
04-11-2017, 05:40 AM
There's an unnecessary word in this sentence, but if you take it out then we can't really justify the comment's existence on this particular forum.
Haha, witty and charming. You guys enjoying the combined ~2 and half decades of Buffalo sports playoff droughts ?? We've been competing for the toilet bowl, what a gift to cherish it's been.

I've spent more time skating with professional hockey players than you've watched hockey in your life. I grew up not to far from sabreland and holiday twin rinks, Patty Lafontaine time and playing with all those guys in pick-up hockey every summer for many years. It's been really hard to watch the Sabres flop, you have no clue. Also, it's really hard watching how bad we can play in stretches. Dan B. must drink before the game thinking the ending is a win, well it's not.

Time to grow up boys, watch the playoffs and notice the difference between us and the good teams. It's a gulf right now, we aren't even close.

ICRockets
04-11-2017, 06:07 AM
watch the playoffs and notice the difference between us and the good teams. It's a gulf right now, we aren't even close.

That doesn't mean it's Eichel's fault.

JATMtheJATM
04-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Bingo

DetDannyWilliams
04-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Cap Friendly noticed the razor-thin margin (https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/851421878094835713) this morning, and the Associated Press later confirmed (https://apnews.com/d2607d8fba2643429b6926153729c0f1/AP-source:-Sabres'-Eichel-misses-out-on-$2-million-bonus) that Eichel had a clause in his contract guaranteeing a $2 million bonus if he finished in the top 10. Draisaitl was trailing Eichel heading into the final game of the season, but Eichel didn’t score or notch an assist while Draisaitl had both a goal and an assist.

http://deadspin.com/jack-eichel-missed-out-on-a-2-million-contract-bonus-b-1794201575

Skooby
04-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Cap Friendly noticed the razor-thin margin (https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/851421878094835713) this morning, and the Associated Press later confirmed (https://apnews.com/d2607d8fba2643429b6926153729c0f1/AP-source:-Sabres'-Eichel-misses-out-on-$2-million-bonus) that Eichel had a clause in his contract guaranteeing a $2 million bonus if he finished in the top 10. Draisaitl was trailing Eichel heading into the final game of the season, but Eichel didn’t score or notch an assist while Draisaitl had both a goal and an assist.

http://deadspin.com/jack-eichel-missed-out-on-a-2-million-contract-bonus-b-1794201575
By my math, if he misses the last game he beats the other guy out. Quite a kick in the nuts, it won't help when we want to work out a new contract.

Skooby
04-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Good players play, great players lead. Name a recent Stanley cup winner that didn't have a known leader, please enlighten us. Jack isn't ready to help, McDavid helped lead the NHL in points and his team, the rebuild worked. We got a huge bill and a player injured ~25% of the season. He was 11th in games per point (missing out on that bonus), hopefully that money can be motivation or recouped in his new contract.

When I watched the Sabres this season, I witnessed inconsistent play and lots of head scratchers. It's like we changed every period, if to only fail. Maybe you caught something different but the bottom of the Atlantic speaks volumes. Thinking we are on our way up or getting better is Anti-OP (the old one). If anything, I think we have a real-good player in Jack who'll want to get a massive contract for like looking a hero on a Semi-pro squad. That's a formula for cap pains & forcing the team to neglect other positions (like our terrible defense).

I think we are really screwed until Pegula cuts the old guard out & gets real people in place separately dedicated to hockey and football. It's really sad to watch us flop around in both sports, it's actually a huge disappointment. I'd plan on many more of those in the near term, we are going nowhere fast.

JATMtheJATM
04-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Good players play, great players lead. Name a recent Stanley cup winner that didn't have a known leader, please enlighten us. Jack isn't ready to help, McDavid helped lead the NHL in points and his team, the rebuild worked. We got a huge bill and a player injured ~25% of the season. He was 11th in games per point (missing out on that bonus), hopefully that money can be motivation or recouped in his new contract.

When I watched the Sabres this season, I witnessed inconsistent play and lots of head scratchers. It's like we changed every period, if to only fail. Maybe you caught something different but the bottom of the Atlantic speaks volumes. Thinking we are on our way up or getting better is Anti-OP (the old one). If anything, I think we have a real-good player in Jack who'll want to get a massive contract for like looking a hero on a Semi-pro squad. That's a formula for cap pains & forcing the team to neglect other positions (like our terrible defense).

I think we are really screwed until Pegula cuts the old guard out & gets real people in place separately dedicated to hockey and football. It's really sad to watch us flop around in both sports, it's actually a huge disappointment. I'd plan on many more of those in the near term, we are going nowhere fast.

The guy just turned 20 and you're holding it against him that he's not mcdavid? Well no ****, he's not. He's a Jonathan tavares type. Franchise guy who can be built around for a decade and a half. Boo ****ing Hoo. I'll take the franchise guy. Any day

Skooby
04-12-2017, 01:18 AM
The guy just turned 20 and you're holding it against him that he's not mcdavid? Well no ****, he's not. He's a Jonathan tavares type. Franchise guy who can be built around for a decade and a half. Boo ****ing Hoo. I'll take the franchise guy. Any day

We missed out on a world caliber hockey player and are sitting in the Atlantic basement with prospects looking grim, boo Hoo indeed. You even buying the whole franchise player forever story is even sadder, he's a good young player who needs to stay healthy. McDavid won a scoring title year 2 of his career, Jack missed his consulation bonus prize. He had the ice time and shifts to get it, don't you worry about that.

Connor McDavid went from a first season of -1 plus minus to +27. Jack Eichel went from a plus minus of -16 year one to -13 this past season, so we're talking a difference of 40 plus goals more score when Connor was on the ice this season. That's a vast difference, please try to grasp this without the Rose colored glasses. Just for another fact, Edmonton had the most wins in the Pacific and the Sabres had the least wins in the Atlantic. Considering both teams were just basement dwellers & coming off lottery seasons, tell me what the biggest difference has been ?? The play of their best player and we got basically nothing.

coastal
04-12-2017, 06:21 AM
This team HAS to be all about Jack next year.

of they don't give him the C... its over before it starts.

JATMtheJATM
04-12-2017, 09:58 AM
This team HAS to be all about Jack next year.

of they don't give him the C... its over before it starts.

You find guys at the bottom of the forward stack who come out and play, and wingers for Jack, you'll see a huge difference. When the scoring depth is so thin that you can focus on one or two players, it's a tough draw. Every time

ckg927
04-12-2017, 06:26 PM
We missed out on a world caliber hockey player and are sitting in the Atlantic basement with prospects looking grim, boo Hoo indeed. You even buying the whole franchise player forever story is even sadder, he's a good young player who needs to stay healthy. McDavid won a scoring title year 2 of his career, Jack missed his consulation bonus prize. He had the ice time and shifts to get it, don't you worry about that.

Connor McDavid went from a first season of -1 plus minus to +27. Jack Eichel went from a plus minus of -16 year one to -13 this past season, so we're talking a difference of 40 plus goals more score when Connor was on the ice this season. That's a vast difference, please try to grasp this without the Rose colored glasses. Just for another fact, Edmonton had the most wins in the Pacific and the Sabres had the least wins in the Atlantic. Considering both teams were just basement dwellers & coming off lottery seasons, tell me what the biggest difference has been ?? The play of their best player and we got basically nothing.

You seem to forget that Edmonton flat out SUCKED for a lot longer than Buffalo has. How else do you explain all those #1 picks the Oilers picked up? It also didn't hurt for the Oil to add Milan Lucic, get a good D behind them and some good goaltending.

Ingtar33
04-16-2017, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't be too envious of Edmonton. they have Connor McDavid at most 2 more years. They can't afford to pay him what he'll pull on the open market, and he won't resign with edmonton even if they come up with the money. He wants nothing to do with Edmonton.

I say the smart play is to make sure we have 10mil cap room and a competitive team when McDavid hits free agency. Its no secret McDavid wants to play close to home, making Toronto and Buffalo his top 2 destinations.

YardRat
04-16-2017, 02:38 PM
I don't think Eichel has earned the C yet.

coastal
04-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Like it or not... he's the franchise.

if he's not the captain... he's not the franchise.

hes the captain.

one step further... hire the BU coach.

JATMtheJATM
04-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Like it or not... he's the franchise.

if he's not the captain... he's not the franchise.

hes the captain.

one step further... hire the BU coach.

Eh, datsyuk was Detroit's franchise after Nick left and he was never captain

Ginger Vitis
04-16-2017, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't be too envious of Edmonton. they have Connor McDavid at most 2 more years. They can't afford to pay him what he'll pull on the open market, and he won't resign with edmonton even if they come up with the money. He wants nothing to do with Edmonton.

I say the smart play is to make sure we have 10mil cap room and a competitive team when McDavid hits free agency. Its no secret McDavid wants to play close to home, making Toronto and Buffalo his top 2 destinations.

McDavid isn't signing with the sabres.... It is the Leafs who will budget and plan accordingly to have the cap space when Mcdavid is a free agent

coastal
04-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Eh, datsyuk was Detroit's franchise after Nick left and he was never captain
Wtf r u talking about? He was no more or less of the franchise player than Zetterburg.

JATMtheJATM
04-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Wtf r u talking about? He was no more or less of the franchise player than Zetterburg.

Yes he was. Datsyuk was the franchise player. Zetterberg isn't even close to datsyuk

coastal
04-17-2017, 08:36 PM
The Leafs are legit....

Skooby
04-18-2017, 01:45 AM
The Leafs are legit....

Keep your powder dry they got drilled by the Sabres who suck, it'll show up in the wash.

CommissarSpartacus
04-18-2017, 05:06 AM
The Leafs are legit....

They certainly are.

Historian
04-19-2017, 05:05 AM

Me neither.

It's O'Reilly in my book.