PDA

View Full Version : the coaching staff so far... your impressions?

ublinkwescore
01-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Well, hate it? Love it?

Generalissimus Gibby
01-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Too early. Ask me in December

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I'm not loving this lack of offensive identity so far but hopefully that will change

Mahdi
01-18-2017, 12:09 PM
On paper its pretty bad...

I wasn't all that happy about McDermott, add in Frazier and likely Greg Olson who is interviewing today and its not good.

You never know of course but I, and most others would have probably preferred Lynn, Bradley and Wisenhunt.

Historian
01-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Garbage coaches, for a garbage franchise!

GingerP
01-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Olson took the QB coach job with the Rams.

Homegrown
01-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Get a real QB, and you'll have a bunch of geniuses....otherwise it's deja vu all over again

BillsOwnAll
01-18-2017, 03:31 PM
They are saying all the right things... as for no OC yet, it's most likely they talked to someone off the record who is still in the playoffs.

Tough to judge a coach on paper though, after years of watching bad clock management it'll be nice too see that done better in game.

Discipline also is something that won't be noticed untill game time.

In the end it's nice to see they actually seem to have a process and system of analyzing situations and descions. But nothing can be confirmed untill they play on Sunday's.

sudzy
01-18-2017, 04:52 PM
There is nothing to make me think there is anything different about this team then the last 17 years.

Gilly
01-18-2017, 06:18 PM
This is the Billszone. Not chance anyone would say something positive.

YardRat
01-18-2017, 06:40 PM
I like the concentration on football, not buffoonery and nepotism.

I really believe the biggest problem with this team the last two seasons has been coaching and I'm expecting a pretty significant upgrade.

Mace
01-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Imho, since you asked....

HC McDermott : Good choice, he has potential. Smart, focused, disciplined teacher.
STs Crossman : I'm ok with it, don't really see him as a problem.
RBs Skipper : No clue, never heard of him.
OL/Run game Castillo : Solid choice.
TE's Boras : Good choice.
DL Waufle : Great choice.
DC Frazier : Argh.
LB's Babich : (see Frazier)

I really hope they've talked with their future OC and have some tacit approval on desired offensive staff or it could be not good.

Mr. Miyagi
01-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Olson took the QB coach job with the Rams.
Thank God.

justasportsfan
01-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Looks like no one wants to work with Mcdermott

BillsOwnAll
01-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Or the person they want is part of a winning organization and still in the be playoffs...

HHURRICANE
01-19-2017, 02:43 AM
You don't need a good defensive coordinator when ur head coach ran the 22nd best defense in the league. He's a defensive guru and should be....wait....what?!! Never mind.

coastal
01-19-2017, 05:56 AM
20 years is a given

Topas
01-19-2017, 06:23 AM
Hurricane, McD had the tenth ranked D according to DVOA. With a clear upward trend in the last games it was I think 5th best D in weighted DVOA. That is good enough for me.

I like the HC hiring. He had good results as a coordinator. He preaches discipline while also being liked by his players. That sounds good. And him being a detailed oriented guy I hope we get better game day coaching.

I am hesitant about the DC. But ok, McD is a Def guy, so I hope it works out.

I don't like Crossman because we never had decent results there (except one year IIRC).

I also find it strange that we have so many O position coaches but no coordinator. But let's see. McD gets my benefit of the doubt. And he needs a QB.

Lone Stranger
01-19-2017, 04:34 PM
In my opinion all the selections are experienced and qualified. We don't have a Wrecks Ryan or Rob Ryan clone and that is positive.

I am concerned about the status of the OC selection. Unless there is a gem hidden somewhere this could be a problem.

Night Train
01-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Get a real QB, and you'll have a bunch of geniuses....otherwise it's deja vu all over again

Probably the best answer.

Mace
01-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Thinking about it more after the Dennison hiring, I'm thinking it reminds me of Chuck Knox era at the moment. Nothing spectacular to see but solid predictable results to be expected. I'm not saying they become a contender, and I'm still real real wary about Tampa-2 possibilities, but I'm wondering if for once we aren't following an obvious relatively stable path down the road.

Marrone/Hackett came in spouting K-gun, Gailey came in with pistol, Ryan with his Ryan hybrid defense/build a bully/running game offense, Gregg Williams with his airhorn, Mularkey with his team goes to the movie days, Jauron with his militant Tampa-2 and whatever on offense ideas....and they all had gimmick roots.

This looks more to me (at least atm), like a solid path up the middle that can be improved upon as it goes, and not reliant on trendy, or the past.

They aren't dazzling me with brilliant hires, but they just might be building some capable with room to grow.

jimmifli
01-19-2017, 11:17 PM
I think this staff could have made the playoffs the last two years. So that's something.

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2017, 11:28 PM
MEH

Goobylal
01-21-2017, 03:25 PM
On paper its pretty bad...

I wasn't all that happy about McDermott, add in Frazier and likely Greg Olson who is interviewing today and its not good.

You never know of course but I, and most others would have probably preferred Lynn, Bradley and Wisenhunt.

Whisenhunt wasn't going to make a lateral move to Buffalo. And Bradley probably would not have come either. That being said, SD seems to have a good staff (Bradley is highly overrated though) and they have Rivers, who I'd rather have out of all of them. But I think the Bills did a great job with who they got, especially despite the alleged "dysfunction" that was going to make hiring decent coaches impossible.

Bone
01-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Thinking about it more after the Dennison hiring, I'm thinking it reminds me of Chuck Knox era at the moment. Nothing spectacular to see but solid predictable results to be expected. I'm not saying they become a contender, and I'm still real real wary about Tampa-2 possibilities, but I'm wondering if for once we aren't following an obvious relatively stable path down the road.

Marrone/Hackett came in spouting K-gun, Gailey came in with pistol, Ryan with his Ryan hybrid defense/build a bully/running game offense, Gregg Williams with his airhorn, Mularkey with his team goes to the movie days, Jauron with his militant Tampa-2 and whatever on offense ideas....and they all had gimmick roots.

This looks more to me (at least atm), like a solid path up the middle that can be improved upon as it goes, and not reliant on trendy, or the past.

They aren't dazzling me with brilliant hires, but they just might be building some capable with room to grow.

Every post you make has something about Tampa-2...For the love of God we are not going to be running Tampa-2. Do you really think McDermott is going to throw out his defense that got him the notoriety of being a head coaching canidate? Here coach Frazier run whatever the **** you want I'm a head coach now?...No.

Goobylal
01-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Every post you make has something about Tampa-2...For the love of God we are not going to be running Tampa-2. Do you really think McDermott is going to throw out his defense that got him the notoriety of being a head coaching canidate? Here coach Frazier run whatever the **** you want I'm a head coach now?...No.

It reminds me of when the Bills hired Schwartz and some were kvetching about him bringing the wide-9 to Buffalo. He used it some. But then again, he was running the defense since Marrone was an offensive guy (literally and figuratively).

Mace
01-21-2017, 08:48 PM

Not anywhere near every post, get a grip.

So, have you done any reading about Babich or Leslie Frazier ? Particularly Frazier, it's all he did for years as a DC and HC.

Do you remember Jauron's ? Do you know it has a level of obsolete that predates Ryan's ? Does it aggravate you it keeps coming up because it isn't ruled out ? Did you pay enough attention to my posts where I said I can let go of it when they say so ? I let go of Tampa-2 possibility real easy and admit I was wrong, they just have to say so. Kind of makes this weird information sense, doesn't it ?

When you have some answers, get back to me, buttercup.

Typ0
01-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Are we winning the off-season again? I really want to win this off-season it makes the on-season so much more bearable.

sudzy
01-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Are we winning the off-season again? I really want to win this off-season it makes the on-season so much more bearable.

We do have an off season championship to defend.

Goobylal
01-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Not sure, but getting rid of Rex and his 20 million coaches is a great start.

tomz
01-22-2017, 01:09 PM
It reminds me of when the Bills hired Schwartz and some were kvetching about him bringing the wide-9 to Buffalo. He used it some. But then again, he was running the defense since Marrone was an offensive guy (literally and figuratively).
Yeah, I agree with this take. I think it is unlikely that we have an undiluted Tampa-2. Isn't one of the things we heard about McDermott that he is likely to adapt to his players. We don't have the personnel for T-2--especially the Derek Brooks-type LB.

swiper
01-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Some?

Goobylal
01-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I agree with this take. I think it is unlikely that we have an undiluted Tampa-2. Isn't one of the things we heard about McDermott that he is likely to adapt to his players. We don't have the personnel for T-2--especially the Derek Brooks-type LB.

It's not going to be a Tampa-2. It's outdated and McDermott never ran one. Furthermore, Frazier and Babich once used to coach non-Tampa-2 defenses.

Some?

OK, many.

Mace
01-22-2017, 08:54 PM
It's not going to be a Tampa-2. It's outdated and McDermott never ran one. Furthermore, Frazier and Babich once used to coach non-Tampa-2 defenses.

OK, many.

All they have to do is say they won't and it's off the table. I don't recall them saying that though yet ?

Goobylal
01-23-2017, 03:39 PM
All they have to do is say they won't and it's off the table. I don't recall them saying that though yet ?

Why would he say what he's not going to run?

Mace
01-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Why would he say what he's not going to run?

They'll be saying what he will run. That will pretty much tell you what they're not going to run, you think ?

Goobylal
01-23-2017, 07:20 PM
They'll be saying what he will run. That will pretty much tell you what they're not going to run, you think ?

I'm not sure he's going to tell us what he's going to run. It'll just be assumed that he'll run when he ran with the Panthers.