PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round QB's to Discuss

Yasgur's Farm
01-19-2017, 12:35 PM
These 4 are all ranked in the top 32 regardless of position played according to Bleacher Report... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ankings/page/2

16 Mitch Trubisky UNC
17 DeShone Kizer Notre Dame
20 Deshaun Watson Clemson
26 Josh Allen Wyoming

IMO, there's merit for the Bills to take any of them... We may even be able to trade down a bit.

After Whaley's comments yesterday, it's obvious now that we are in rebuild mode until we get a SB caliber QB under center. To me... That means we draft a 1st round QB every year until we get him.

swiper
01-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Trubisky or none IMO.

On a related subject I was looking at the 2005 QB draft that Tom Donahoe conveniently took us out of (for Aaron Rodgers). Reminded myself of some names that are still suiting up or did until recently. And, of course, a handful of stiffs:

#1 overall - Alex Smith

Other first round:

#24 - Aaron Rodgers (Bills would have picked #20)
#25 - Jason Campbell

Next QB taken was round #3 : Charlie Frye

Other notables:

Kyle Orton - 4th round
Dan Orlovsky - 5th round
Derek Anderson - 6th round
Matt Cassel - 7th round
Ryan Fitzpatrick - 7th round

There were some other stiffs sprinkled in there. Interesting to look back. Roscoe Parrish, *cough, cough.*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft

ICRockets
01-19-2017, 12:58 PM
There were some other stiffs sprinkled in there. Interesting to look back. Roscoe Parrish, *cough, cough.*

Look, anytime you can draft a guy who's LITERALLY ****ING AFRAID OF SNOW to come play in Buffalo, you gotta do it.

Mahdi
01-19-2017, 01:04 PM
I like Mahomes.

Plays a bit like Aaron Rodgers...

Mr. Pink
01-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Trubisky and Kizer will both likely be gone before the Bills pick.

swiper
01-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Right. Would mean trading up some. Jets, 49ers, etc are all looking at this.

k-oneputt
01-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Mahomes - in 2nd
Webb - in 4th
Kelly - in 6th

Pick two of the three and put with Cardale.

EDS
01-19-2017, 01:15 PM
I would not touch Kizer or Watson in round 1.

k-oneputt
01-19-2017, 01:22 PM
I would not touch Kizer or Watson in round 1.

Me neither. I like Trubisky but he won't be there at #1.

I like Mahomes better then Kizer and Watson.

DraftBoy
01-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Allen returned to school.

k-oneputt
01-19-2017, 02:52 PM
I only saw Allen play twice, can't say I was that impressed.

What is it they like so much about that kid ?

Maybe as a late round pick.

DraftBoy
01-19-2017, 03:31 PM
I only saw Allen play twice, can't say I was that impressed.

What is it they like so much about that kid ?

Maybe as a late round pick.

Size, Arm, and Mobility. He's still appears quite raw but a lot of people have him pegged as the Top 2018 or 2019 QB.

Albany,n.y.
01-19-2017, 04:06 PM
If you're trading down for a QB you like, he's most likely another EJ. Never trade down with a QB in mind because if he's good enough, you want to make sure nobody else is going to draft him before your lower turn arrives. If you have a stiff like EJ in mind, you won't have to worry-you can trade out of the 1st round entirely & nobody is going to be as stupid as you & pick him.

YardRat
01-19-2017, 04:54 PM
I'd have to seriously consider Trubisky at 10...pass on Watson on Kizer. I have to look more at Mahomes. Still like Kelly, earlier than the fourth.

Turf
01-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Can the Bills make trades for QB's who are potentially FA's before they have to decide on TT's contract?

Mouldsie
01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
I want nothing to do with any of them in round 1, maybe one will make it but I lean more towards them all being underwhelming in the Pros. This reminds me of the year of EJ, Geno, and Nassib

TacklingDummy
01-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Mel Kiper was on ESPN saying the Bills will draft the Clemson QB, great another Clemson player.

Mace
01-19-2017, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't reach for a QB in round 1. They can't afford to reach anymore.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Id be down with Kelly in the 2nd, provided his knee is healed

Night Train
01-19-2017, 07:28 PM
I'd have to seriously consider Trubisky at 10...pass on Watson on Kizer. I have to look more at Mahomes. Still like Kelly, earlier than the fourth.

Agreed.

I did hear that Whaley was doing a ton of checking on Chad Kelly, FWIW.

Buffalogic
01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
I'd be happy with a Mike williams, mahomes 1, 2.

Mace
01-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Id be down with Kelly in the 2nd, provided his knee is healed

Kelly is considered a later round pick atm, 4-6.

Ed
01-19-2017, 07:42 PM
This qb class looks terrible, so I guess it makes sense that the Bills would get rid of the best qb they've had in 10+ years to draft one of these bums. If we really are getting rid of Taylor and starting over at qb, I'd rather just roll with Cardale Jones next year and use our draft picks on players that can actually help us get better long term. If Jones flops then draft a qb next year when some good ones might be available. The qb class this year has failure written all over it and it's painfully obvious.

The Jokeman
01-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Kelly was a questionable Round 2 prior to the injury. Round 4 is earliest I can see him going but I don't want him here, too many distractions and too much pressure.

djjimkelly
01-19-2017, 09:00 PM
This qb class looks terrible, so I guess it makes sense that the Bills would get rid of the best qb they've had in 10+ years to draft one of these bums. If we really are getting rid of Taylor and starting over at qb, I'd rather just roll with Cardale Jones next year and use our draft picks on players that can actually help us get better long term. If Jones flops then draft a qb next year when some good ones might be available. The qb class this year has failure written all over it and it's painfully obvious.

lets hope they get rid of taylor not draft any of these chumps or later then a 3, 4th the earliest sign FA and roll with him and cardelle win 4 games and get a top 3 pick to get one in 2018

jamze132
01-19-2017, 11:54 PM
I kind of think Watson is going to impress at the NFL level.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Kelly is considered a later round pick atm, 4-6.

QB round projections are wildly inconsistent and I wouldn't put much stock in them.

DraftBoy
01-20-2017, 11:37 AM
QB round projections are wildly inconsistent and I wouldn't put much stock in them.

True, but based on his skill set I still wouldn't want anything to do with him before Round 4.

Night Train
01-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Another Saturday idea at QB for me would be Wes Lunt of Illini. Talent on a bad team.

6-5 with a big arm and great touch.

k-oneputt
01-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Lunt does have some physical skills. he could be a late round option.

k-oneputt
01-20-2017, 01:27 PM
If the rebuild is happening, start loading up on O and D linemen.
And QB of course.

sukie
01-20-2017, 06:15 PM
QB selection every 2nd or 3rd round EVERY DRAFT until we hit on one. Trade down round one so this is easy to do without losing numbers... Every year. Dammit. I'm 53 for crying out loud.

swiper
01-20-2017, 07:03 PM
QB selection every 2nd or 3rd round EVERY DRAFT until we hit on one. Trade down round one so this is easy to do without losing numbers... Every year. Dammit. I'm 53 for crying out loud.

Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the status of Landry Jones?

swiper
01-20-2017, 07:05 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/landry-jones-12396/

Why not go get this QB?

YardRat
01-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the status of Landry Jones?
I believe he is a UFA this year.

DynaPaul
01-21-2017, 12:09 PM
We need a proven commodity in Round 1 not some guy who has "potential" that might be an all-star. None of these QB's are proven commodities.

Ed
01-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Well according to Clemson HC, Dabo Swinney, his QB is the next Michael Jordan of football. I'm sold!

Mike Triplett
ESPN Staff Writer

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney with the ultimate endorsement for his QB Deshaun Watson heading into the NFL draft. "I'm just telling you, if they pass on Deshaun Watson, they're passing on Michael Jordan," said Swinney, who added that Watson is "one in a million" and "the easiest player (I've) ever coached" because he is so driven. Swinney (pictured here with Stanford coach David Shaw) spoke after the first Senior Bowl practice, which Watson decided not to participate in this year.

swiper
01-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Well according to Clemson HC, Dabo Swinney, his QB is the next Michael Jordan of football. I'm sold!

Mike Triplett
ESPN Staff Writer

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney with the ultimate endorsement for his QB Deshaun Watson heading into the NFL draft. "I'm just telling you, if they pass on Deshaun Watson, they're passing on Michael Jordan," said Swinney, who added that Watson is "one in a million" and "the easiest player (I've) ever coached" because he is so driven. Swinney (pictured here with Stanford coach David Shaw) spoke after the first Senior Bowl practice, which Watson decided not to participate in this year.

Never trust anyone named Dabo.

X-Era
01-24-2017, 06:12 PM
They'll keep Tyrod and take a mid-rounder. Maybe Mahomes in the 2nd or 3rd

Mouldsie
01-24-2017, 11:51 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/landry-jones-12396/

Why not go get this QB?
because he sucks

HHURRICANE
01-25-2017, 03:35 AM
You take Watson and Kelly, end of discussion.

Skooby
01-25-2017, 03:38 AM
I think this is the best approach. I'd simply toss Tyrod to the curb and let those two battle it out, one's a backup and the other's the starter. Take your licks and then draft another corner / safety for 3 years in a row, kicking in a early OT / WR for giggles.

k-oneputt
01-25-2017, 08:09 AM

I'd rather go Mahomes in 2nd rd, and Webb in 4th rd.
Someone mentioned Wes Lunt on here a couple of days ago, he's another guy late in the draft to look at.
I think Mahomes throws the ball better then Watson and is better in the pocket imo.

ticatfan
01-26-2017, 10:58 AM
I would not touch Kizer or Watson in round 1.If Watson is still around the bills should be picking him. 1st round or not.

swiper
01-28-2017, 07:19 AM

I found this rumor interesting.....

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-mock-draft-order-2017-raiders-bears-49ers-jets-eagles/1cb5zdvwvqsv91h300idttcyvy/slide/10

If the Bills are able to move on from Tyrod Taylor without paying his injury guarantee, they’ll be firmly in the mix for a new franchise passer. Kizer may be on their radar (and he is the draft’s top passer in my mind), but based on what I’ve been told about their interest, don’t rule out a Jared Goff-esque trade to move up and draft Mitch Trubisky.

Mouldsie
01-28-2017, 11:21 PM
If the Bills draft any QB in this class before round 4 then I am not liking our chances for the future. This draft reeks of 2013 to me.

Turf
01-28-2017, 11:42 PM
I am thoroughly unimpressed with Watsons' throwing accuracy. To me he's a taller Tyrod. Seeing we've already been down that road its pointless. What scares me is Rainman trading up for a QB. I really like Williams at 10 for a WR. Get a QB in the later rounds. We still need OL, look at Dallas.

swiper
01-29-2017, 07:08 AM
It's sad that the Bills didn't learn from a QB-poor 2013 draft that they let themselves get backed in to drafting EJ Manuel. Here, again, in 2017 they find themselves in a similar position.

YardRat
01-29-2017, 05:33 PM
I really hope the trade up for Trubisky thingie is nothing but bull**** rumor.

Bill Cody
01-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Trubisky at 10? Me like

sukie
01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
If the Bills draft any QB in this class before round 4 then I am not liking our chances for the future. This draft reeks of 2013 to me.
If they do not draft a QB or two, with one in the first 3 rounds, then stress less football fandom is a certainty.

Who cares about needs or holes when they are a giant donut with the middle hole being QB. The other holes are part on the cakey part.

SpikedLemonade
01-30-2017, 01:00 PM
If they do not draft a QB or two, with one in the first 3 rounds, then stress less football fandom is a certainty.

Who cares about needs or holes when they are a giant donut with the middle hole being QB. The other holes are part on the cakey part.

Sukie, you been receiving my "mailings"?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/233711-Morning-Dumps/page16

sukie
01-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Sukie, you been receiving my "mailings"?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/233711-Morning-Dumps/page16

Mailings?

stuckincincy
01-31-2017, 09:09 PM

The draft pundit drumbeat for Deshaun Watson is heating up...

"Deshaun Watson - QB, Clemson: Watson's draft stock is all over the place in NFL circles. The Bills could make Tyrod Taylor a cap casualty, saving them money and opening the door for Watson. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780638/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-10-browns-get-garrett-fournette

"Deshaun Watson , QB, Clemson Tigers : The Tyrod Taylor situation in Buffalo will continue to play itself out the next few weeks, but if he's out of the picture then Watson becomes an intriguing option with this pick. Not sure this would be the right move, but it is definitely plausible."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-defensive-needy-cowboys-find-a-pass-rusher-in-auburns-carl-lawson/

Bill Cody
02-01-2017, 11:49 AM
The draft pundit drumbeat for Deshaun Watson is heating up...

"Deshaun Watson - QB, Clemson: Watson's draft stock is all over the place in NFL circles. The Bills could make Tyrod Taylor a cap casualty, saving them money and opening the door for Watson. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780638/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-10-browns-get-garrett-fournette

"Deshaun Watson , QB, Clemson Tigers : The Tyrod Taylor situation in Buffalo will continue to play itself out the next few weeks, but if he's out of the picture then Watson becomes an intriguing option with this pick. Not sure this would be the right move, but it is definitely plausible."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-defensive-needy-cowboys-find-a-pass-rusher-in-auburns-carl-lawson/

Peg needs to nip this in the bud.

Peg: "Hey Doug is Deshaun Watson on your board for the 10th pick?"

Whaley: "yes sir he sure is, love him. He and my other impact player Sammy Watkins will make a dynamic duo".

Peg: "Doug"?

Whaley: "Yes sir?"

Peg: "you are so fired."