PDA

View Full Version : Rick Dennison OC

Novacane
01-19-2017, 05:44 PM
On Bills FB page

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-agree-to-terms-with-Rick-Dennison-to-become-offensive-coordinator/36fb4412-62a0-4542-8e36-257932701668

The Jokeman
01-19-2017, 05:49 PM
I felt he be a good choice when Ryan was brought in assuming we'd name Kubiak HC. Not a bad pick now, hopefully we bring in Knapp as QB coach

Link: Bills name Rick Dennison new OC
http://www.thescore.com/news/1212549
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app ) as QB coach

ICRockets
01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
He's an OC now after playing LB? Interesting. You don't see many former players coach the other side of the ball, do you?

Mace
01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Interesting hire I suppose. A lengthy, good article on Dennison.

“The one thing that made Rico a good football coach is he played for a long time as a linebacker so he understands defense,” said Tyler Polumbus, a former Broncos offensive tackle who began (2008-10) and ended (2015) his career with Dennison as his coach. “He coached on the defensive side and then he coached on the offensive side, and I always thought that coaches that have experience on both sides make the best coaches because they truly understand the ins and outs and what’s going to work against another team.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/27/rick-dennison-helped-to-engineer-broncos-history-future/

Skooby
01-19-2017, 06:03 PM
He's supposed to be a smart man, I hope he's a master. God's speed.

YardRat
01-19-2017, 06:06 PM
lol...this came up on his quickie profile to the right of the page when I googled him to do more research...

Rick Dennison is an American football coach and former player. He is currently serving as the offensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills even though he will be fired by the end of the 2017 season

Mouldsie
01-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Tyrod may know some of this system already, just sayin

Night Train
01-19-2017, 06:39 PM
He sucks.

Who is he ?

Buffalogic
01-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Been to Superbowl 6 times, 3 as a player 3 as a coach. Has a good resume.

YardRat
01-19-2017, 06:42 PM
He sucks.

Who is he ?

LOL...good one NT.

Night Train
01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
LOL...good one NT.

:up:

Remember him well as a LB. Followed Kubiak everywhere. Is reportedly a very good coach.

Mr. Miyagi
01-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Who?

Buffalogic
01-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Pft commenters loving the hire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/19/bills-hire-rick-dennison-as-offensive-coordinator/

Mr. Miyagi
01-19-2017, 07:34 PM
My diehard Broncos fan friend said this about Dennison:

"Not a very good OC, not very creative and jams players into his system instead of making the system work for the players. OK offensive coach but not coordinator."

Ugh. :ill:

DraftBoy
01-19-2017, 07:40 PM

"Not a very good OC, not very creative and jams players into his system instead of making the system work for the players. OK offensive coach but not coordinator."

That doesn't make a lot of sense since Kubiak was the scheme and play caller in Denver.

Mr. Miyagi
"His first 5-6 scripted plays of the game will be good, then bad until you're way behind then he'll throw caution to the wind to try and come back. Lots of 3 and outs in between. Sorry dude."

:cry:

Night Train

LOL. He won a SB the year before with a broken arm QB.

Mr. Miyagi
01-19-2017, 07:41 PM
That doesn't make a lot of sense since Kubiak was the scheme and play caller in Denver.
My friend is no scout but he religiously watches every Denver game, so take it however you want. It's no better or worse than any of us commenting on our own team, which most of the time is pretty accurate.

Mr. Miyagi
01-19-2017, 07:53 PM
I guess that's probably still better than that loser Olson. Not sure about Dorsey but he has very little experience, reminds me of Nathaniel Hackett. So let's just hope for the best.

DraftBoy
01-19-2017, 07:53 PM
My friend is no scout but he religiously watches every Denver game, so take it however you want. It's no better or worse than any of us commenting on our own team, which most of the time is pretty accurate.

I'm not saying his critique is wrong, I'm just saying that Dennison doesn't call the plays so it's odd to place the blame with him. Don't you think?

Buffalogic
01-19-2017, 08:02 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/2015/01/22/rick-dennison-hiring-a-stroke-of-genius-by-broncos/

From 2015

Ed
01-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Interesting hire for sure considering he was Tyrod Taylor's QB coach in Baltimore. Taylor was very popular in Baltimore with the coaches, and Kubiak (and I assume Dennison) really wanted him in Denver. Does this mean Taylor returns in 2017?

Historian
01-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Yawn...

Mace
01-19-2017, 08:14 PM
I'm not saying his critique is wrong, I'm just saying that Dennison doesn't call the plays so it's odd to place the blame with him. Don't you think?

Just from what I'm reading around the web, no particular links, Dennison collaborated with Kubiak on playcall input, they'd go back and forth, so it's hard to see where the mix can be attributed. The Denver o-line injuries and QB issues are mentioned. The general thought seems to be that Dennison is a good coach at the core level, but nothing much can be attributed to him for his loyal connection with Kubiak. I don't think he's a bystander like say Modkins was to Gailey.

I'm probably considering him a solid pick with uncertain ceiling, but at bottom line, not over his head. I suppose that makes me think, I don't know how good he'll be, but I don't think he'll be bad.

I'm not jumping up and down with glee over the hire, but I'm kind of good with it. I can look forward to seeing where it goes.

Saratoga Slim
01-19-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm actually putting this in the pleasant surprise category. Admittedly I don't know a ton about him, but I thought we were heading for Van Punt or the like. The media was painting a no-one-wants-the-job picture.

Shocking, the media getting something wrong.

justasportsfan
01-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Dennison tried to get Tyrod to sign with the broncos in 2015. Tyrod opted to go to buffalo.

Night Train
01-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Dennison tried to get Tyrod to sign with the broncos in 2015. Tyrod opted to go to buffalo.

I thought it was Elway.

justasportsfan
01-19-2017, 08:42 PM
I thought it was Elway.

Both?

BillsImpossible
01-19-2017, 08:49 PM
He's an OC now after playing LB? Interesting. You don't see many former players coach the other side of the ball, do you?

“He coached on the defensive side and then he coached on the offensive side, and I always thought that coaches that have experience on both sides make the best coaches because they truly understand the ins and outs and what’s going to work against another team.”

GingerP
01-19-2017, 08:51 PM
LOL. He won a SB the year before with a broken arm QB.

I guess. But... they didn't win it with great offense.

BillsImpossible
01-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Interesting hire for sure considering he was Tyrod Taylor's QB coach in Baltimore. Taylor was very popular in Baltimore with the coaches, and Kubiak (and I assume Dennison) really wanted him in Denver. Does this mean Taylor returns in 2017?

Good question.

Taylor returns only if he allows the Bills to restructure his contract.

Turf
01-19-2017, 10:10 PM
The Bills are crazy not to roll with Tyrod next year, its a recipe for disaster UNLESS they have a clearly better replacement plan via FA.

jamze132
01-19-2017, 11:42 PM
If our offense stays intact, all we need a smidgen better of a defense and we're losing the WC game for the first time in 18 seasons.

The last buffalo fan
01-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Great, now he'll be headed to another team.

Figster
01-20-2017, 12:25 PM

In a word, yes

sudzy
01-21-2017, 04:58 PM
image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/billsb_logo.gif
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/billsb_logo.gif Bills hire OC Rick Dennison: C+ Grade
This hiring is the epitome of average, and the stats back that up. Rick Dennison was a coordinator for four years in Houston, and in those seasons, his team finished 29th, fourth, ninth and 24th in total offense as far as yardage is concerned, resulting in an average of 16.5. In Denver, his offenses were 16th and 27th. Dennison oversaw the collapse of the Texans in 2013, when they went 2-14. His quarterback, Matt Schaub, turned into a pick-six machine under his watch.

The Bills could've hired someone better than Dennison. They even interviewed superior candidates for the job. Thus, this is a pretty uninspiring hire.

I'm not giving this too low of a grade, however, because the Bills are getting someone who has previously coached Tyrod Taylor, which is a plus. Perhaps this is an olive branch to Taylor, which is needed after inept owner Terry Pegula screwed things up with his quarterback at the end of the year.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/coachfirehire.php#yTZSSiE2zgYmcAor.99

Walterfootball

YardRat
01-21-2017, 05:28 PM
In Walter's opinion which candidates interviewed were superior?