PDA

View Full Version : Culley to become QB coach

Mace
01-24-2017, 09:51 AM
This is the kind of stuff that aggravates me. He's been a WR coach for the last 23 years.

But he was QB coach at Middle Tennessee State and Southwestern Louisiana three decades ago ! Come on.

But Dennison can work with the QB's ! No he's supposed to be coordinating an offense and that's why you hire a QB coach.

This isn't how you develop QB's and basically means they get a raw guy like Cardale Jones, maybe another in this draft, and expect them to hurry up and learn on their own, then get upset when they still have the same flaws in three years they had when drafted.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/24/14367050/david-culley-buffalo-bills-quarterback-coach-kansas-city-chiefs-philadelphia-eagles

WagonCircler
01-24-2017, 10:46 AM
This is the kind of stuff that aggravates me. He's been a WR coach for the last 23 years.

But he was QB coach at Middle Tennessee State and Southwestern Louisiana three decades ago ! Come on.

But Dennison can work with the QB's ! No he's supposed to be coordinating an offense and that's why you hire a QB coach.

This isn't how you develop QB's and basically means they get a raw guy like Cardale Jones, maybe another in this draft, and expect them to hurry up and learn on their own, then get upset when they still have the same flaws in three years they had when drafted.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/24/14367050/david-culley-buffalo-bills-quarterback-coach-kansas-city-chiefs-philadelphia-eagles

Thus beginneth the tank.

djjimkelly
01-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Thus beginneth the tank.

lets hope

DraftBoy
01-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Yea not really sure I get this move.

Hopefully it pans out similarly to how the Falcons moved Raheem Morris from DB coach to WR coach.

Mr. Miyagi
01-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Tons of experience in the wrong position.

We're supposed to be excited about Eddie Van Halen as the drummer? No.

The Jokeman
01-24-2017, 03:34 PM
He was a QB at Vandy, has been a QB and OC at the collegiate level and a wealth of NFL knowledge. I'm not saying he's my top option, as thought Knapp be ideal with his history with Dennison.

tomz
01-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Should we be thankful he is not receivers coach? Aren't the Chiefs the team that had zero touchdown passes to WR for something like almost an entire season?

YardRat
01-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I'm a little bit puzzled by this one too.

Of course, the other side of the coin is with all that experience with WR's he should be able to point out to Tyrod the guys he's supposed to be throwing the ball to.

swiper
01-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I'm a little bit puzzled by this one too.

Of course, the other side of the coin is with all that experience with WR's he should be able to point out to Tyrod the guys he's supposed to be throwing the ball to.

Someone here recently posted what a QB coach really does, as backed up by what other coaches have verified. I forget who it was, but it was a fairly recent post. A QB coach is a glorified clip board holder - they really don't do much of anything. So it doesn't matter.

Mace
01-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Yea not really sure I get this move.

Hopefully it pans out similarly to how the Falcons moved Raheem Morris from DB coach to WR coach.

Thing is though, Morris is 40, young in his career, Cully is 61 and has done one job for the past 23 years.

Mace
01-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Someone here recently posted what a QB coach really does, as backed up by what other coaches have verified. I forget who it was, but it was a fairly recent post. A QB coach is a glorified clip board holder - they really don't do much of anything. So it doesn't matter.

So, qb's learn footwork and mechanics, technique, perform drills and view film in the QB room by themselves ?

justasportsfan
01-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Hopefully it pans out like Harbaugh was successful from ST to HC.

YardRat
01-24-2017, 06:30 PM

Just because that's what apparently Buffalo's last few QB coaches have done doesn't mean it's SOP everywhere else.

Mace
01-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Hopefully it pans out like Harbaugh was successful from ST to HC.

Just to point out though, because I think it's significant, that was another younger guy. Younger coaches traditionally build a career path on their way up ladders. Culley is 61 and will be tasked with developing Cardale Jones and potentially another QB. If we were talking about him coming in to work with an established vet QB stable, different story. You don't really give project guys to well, project guys.

We're not talking 3 years WR's, we're talking 23.

This hire just doesn't make much sense to me.

justasportsfan
01-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Just to point out though, because I think it's significant, that was another younger guy. Younger coaches traditionally build a career path on their way up ladders. Culley is 61 and will be tasked with developing Cardale Jones and potentially another QB. If we were talking about him coming in to work with an established vet QB stable, different story. You don't really give project guys to well, project guys.

We're not talking 3 years WR's, we're talking 23.

This hire just doesn't make much sense to me.

Im all about everything being different. Rex and qb coach David Lee was a failure when it came to the qb position.

Mace
01-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Im all about everything being different. Rex and qb coach David Lee was a failure when it came to the qb position.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. Wildcat Lee was terrible. Different is good. But well, I'm not sure a 23 year WR coach is going to bring much more to the table in terms of QB footwork, teaching reads, mechanics, etc. Kind of seems like the same problem (to me), a QB coach with nothing to offer QB's.