PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Mahomes ⋅ Texas Tech - Draft Analysis

daryls61
01-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Maybe a target for Bills in round 2? Seems these guys always go higher than they should. Lots of yards but maybe he is Johnny Manzel 2.0?

Texas Tech’s junior quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, decided to forgo his senior senior and enter the NFL Draft. Mahomes shocked the world this season when he threw for 734 yards and amassed 819 total yards of offense against Oklahoma in late October. Despite this, Mahomes’ 2016 campaign did not go as he had hoped, finishing 5-7 overall and 3-6 in the Big 12 Conference. However, the wins and losses don’t necessarily fall on the hands of the junior signal caller. The Texas Tech defense allowed an average of 41.5 points per game.Initially looking at Patrick Mahomes, his size is impressive. Standing at 6’3″ and 229 lbs, he has the perfect build for an NFL quarterback. While taking a deeper look at his game, he possesses a very strong arm, has very good decision making skills, and his running ability is a valuable asset to any offense. On the other hand, his pocket presence and ability to remain poise when put in difficult situations are not on par with the average NFL quarterback. Mahomes’ throwing motion and accuracy are also two areas of concern for teams looking to draft a quarterback.

http://www.cover1.net/2017/01/patrick-mahomes-texas-tech/

Ingtar33
01-26-2017, 10:00 AM
if mahomes is still there in round 2 i'd take a flyer.

Skooby
01-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Draft a QB in every round until someone can become our Franchise QB.

justasportsfan
01-26-2017, 12:00 PM
this kid threw for 5000 yards in 1 season , I'll take that any day over a qb who can run for 1000 yards but suck at passing

Night Train
01-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Not sure how to view him. Kept throwing the ball off his back foot. Don't we already have a QB working on his footwork ? (Jones)

Those Texas Tech QB's always seem to throw for a million yards in college and never make it in the NFL.

I doubt the Bills will draft him. He' probably a 2nd-3rd round talent being overvalued, as most QB's are.

cookie G
01-26-2017, 05:20 PM
this kid threw for 5000 yards in 1 season , I'll take that any day over a qb who can run for 1000 yards but suck at passing

Take it with a grain of salt, its Texas Tech. When Graham Harrell was there, in his last 2 seasons he threw for more yards, more TD's and a higher completion percentage. (and had an 11-2 record his last year).

Harrell went undrafted, went ot the CFL for a year and wandered around the NFL for a bit.

I don't think you ignore evaluating him, he has a stronger arm and better legs than Harrell, but as far as ability to read, pocket poise, things like that...well..its Texas Tech...difficult to evaluate.

Mace
01-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Take it with a grain of salt, its Texas Tech. When Graham Harrell was there, in his last 2 seasons he threw for more yards, more TD's and a higher completion percentage. (and had an 11-2 record his last year).

Harrell went undrafted, went ot the CFL for a year and wandered around the NFL for a bit.

I don't think you ignore evaluating him, he has a stronger arm and better legs than Harrell, but as far as ability to read, pocket poise, things like that...well..its Texas Tech...difficult to evaluate.

Air raid gimmick offense out of a shotgun with 4 wr's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

Mahomes is interesting for his mighty arm, I was all about him for awhile, but he'll be best in a passing system with a real QB coach, imho.

EDS
01-27-2017, 10:39 AM
As a Bills fan, if you knew nothing about Mahomes other than what is written in that article, don't you get a little nervous that the evaluation make him sound a lot like Losman?

justasportsfan
01-27-2017, 10:41 AM

Thanks. I have to admit I know nothing of college football since i don't follow it. I usually have to youtube these guys and I know it doesn't paint an entire picture . I am so starved for a franchise qb who can win games with their arms.

Mace
01-27-2017, 06:03 PM
As a Bills fan, if you knew nothing about Mahomes other than what is written in that article, don't you get a little nervous that the evaluation make him sound a lot like Losman?

Maybe it's just me, but having followed this team since around 1970 or so and being so starved for a winner again, there isn't much they do that doesn't making me nervous, so one more thing doesn't really matter much.