• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Rex did get one thing right

Now at the ripe old age of 33 and in my 12th year in the NFL, I’ve just wrapped up the best season of my career.

And in the end, there was only one.

The Buffalo Bills.

Now, the question I get asked the most is, “What changed when you came to Buffalo?”

The answer? Nothing. Rex Ryan said he wanted to bring me in. He also said that not only would I make the team, but that he also wanted me to play special teams and rotate in with some defensive packages — just like I had done in Washington. So the only thing that really changed was that a team saw in me what I had always seen in myself. A lot of things came together at the right time. Rex was looking for guys to come in and compete, and I was ready to do just that. The Bills run a 3–4 defensive scheme that allows somebody with my particular skill set to thrive. Throw in a couple of roster moves and an unfortunate injury to Shaq Lawson, and the door was open. All I had to do was step up.

I remember last training camp hearing Lawson went down and thinking the defense was going be the same as last year (bad). Then we CUT Manny Lawson, which made headlines. I was thinking WTF is going to play OLB? I heard Rex pomp that this 33yr old special had been "earning it" in practice and deserved a shot to start. I rolled my eyes, trying to figure out why Eric Striker wasn't given a shot.

Rex deserved to be fired for his defense, but he was a good player's coach.

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Rex did get one thing right

Originally posted by Oaf View Post

Rex deserved to be fired for his defense, but he was a good player's coach.
    I heard players don't like Bellicheat, and yet there he is, on his way to another SB.

Rex wins the offseason and most liked coach ever award . Too bad it means nothing when winning is the goal.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-30-2017, 09:18 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
      • Jul 2002

So you think that Rex would have been better off starting EJ Manuel or Matt Cassel & not bringing in Tyrod Taylor?

Now I'm on record I want Taylor gone because he's not good enough to justify a long term commitment to, that his contract locks the Bills into. However, Rex tried to give the team a chance to win by bringing in Tyrod. Imagine how bad this team would have been without him. Even though I now feel it's time to move on, bringing in Tyrod was something Rex got right with the talent at QB he was presented with.

Comment

• DynaPaul
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
        I heard players don't like Bellicheat, and yet there he is, on his way to another SB.
        Nobody actually likes Belicheat from players on down to fellow coaches but since it's a results driven business, and he gets them, he gets a pass on his non-existent personality.

Comment

• Oaf
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
          Rex wins the offseason and most liked coach ever award . Too bad it means nothing when winning is the goal.

Sure- no argument there. He still gets credit for at least one signing that Belicheck didn't preempt. He's a great recruiter, just a bad coach.

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

Sure- no argument there. He still gets credit for at least one signing that Belicheck didn't preempt. He's a great recruiter, just a bad coach.
            He's not a great recruiter. Just look at any of YardRat's many posts of his lists of Jets Stank. Salas, etc, etc, etc. He got lucky once. Once. An Alexander was nothing more than a one year wonder that probably got there by using steroids without getting caught. Because nothing else in his career indicated that he was so hot.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

As much as I don't like him I'd have to give more credit to Whaley for finding him, then to Alexander for making the most of it. Alexander definitely found his groove in a Ryan defense, but now there are no more of them left.

Comment

• Oaf
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                As much as I don't like him I'd have to give more credit to Whaley for finding him, then to Alexander for making the most of it. Alexander definitely found his groove in a Ryan defense, but now there are no more of them left.
                That's a laugh. The article says otherwise and there's no reason to think Whaley would know 3-4 personnel like Ryan would. Ryan helped recruit several signings, even if not all of them panned out.

Comment

• Mace
                  • Mar 2013

That's a laugh. The article says otherwise and there's no reason to think Whaley would know 3-4 personnel like Ryan would. Ryan helped recruit several signings, even if not all of them panned out.
                  Whaley had roster control though. I think Whaley has proven okay at pro personnel. Ryan proved adept at suggesting ex-Jets.

The thing is, Ryan said Alexander was here for his special teams value. "They" got him for special teams, no one figured he'd be a good olb/de, so giving credit is kind of fuzzy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Actually, from what I heard, Rex signed Alexander as a ST player. Only reason why Alexander became a lb'er is the injury to Rex's chosen one, IK . So Rex didn't exactly get it right, he got lucky.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                      Making Spirits Bright
                      • Mar 2006

Brandon really deserves credit for finding this guy. It's either him or Overdorf, but it's definitely one of the two.

Comment

• Mace
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                        Brandon really deserves credit for finding this guy. It's either him or Overdorf, but it's definitely one of the two.
                        I read somewhere Alexander and Zach Brown were the only moves Brandon didn't have anything to do with. Brandon was influential in cutting and resigning Jordan Gay all those times, Percy Harvin, Colton Schmidt holding the ball for Carpenter with the laces facing the wrong way and poor hamstring conditioning though.

Props to Overdorf for signing Lorenzo. Brandon ? Heh, nah.
                        Last edited by Mace; 01-31-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X