PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Clayton : List of 15 greatest QB's in NFL history

Mace
01-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Jim Kelly at number 13, ahead of Staubach and Tarkenton.

I'm happy with seeing him in the top 15. Sure do miss seeing him out there.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581054/greatest-quarterbacks-all-ranking-john-clayton-picks-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-best-nfl-qb-ever

Goobylal
01-30-2017, 07:58 PM
It's too bad that the NFL rules protecting QB's weren't around back then.

OpIv37
01-30-2017, 09:15 PM
*sigh.

I remember at the end of Jimbo's career, thinking he had held on too long and probably should have retired a year or two before he did. What I wouldn't give to have seen him stick it out 2 or 3 more years....

Luisito23
01-31-2017, 05:44 AM
13 is OK I guess...If it was me I'd put him top 10, but 13 is fair enough.

YardRat
01-31-2017, 05:53 AM
I would put Kelly ahead of Young, Marino and definitely Starr, but he is the only guy on the list without an MVP or SB.

Mace
01-31-2017, 05:35 PM
I would put Kelly ahead of Young, Marino and definitely Starr, but he is the only guy on the list without an MVP or SB.

It's hard to compare once you start bouncing between eras, but I remember seeing Starr on the old black & white when I was a kid near the end of his career. He belongs, imho. They played a brutal game back then, in the weather with rushing oriented offense. Starr played 15 (to 37 years old) years in that era. Have to think in this one he could have played until he was 45.

Would have loved to see how a lot of those guys would have done with this gentler version of the game, prevalent domes, and pass happy offenses.

Anyway though, I love seeing Kelly in that company.

upstart
01-31-2017, 06:57 PM
As a Pats fan I'd say Marino is one or two.

Marino put me through a lot of pain many years ago.

Mace
01-31-2017, 07:02 PM
As a Pats fan I'd say Marino is one or two.

Marino put me through a lot of pain many years ago.

I was happy Kelly beat up Marino teams so often.

But you have to admit, the Pats have more than made up for those years.

Night Train
01-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Being an old salt, I'd say Staubach was better than Kelly and a few others ahead of him. The king of the 2 minute drive to win games. Uber clutch. He was amazing to watch.

Mike13
01-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Marino didn't have enough of a running game behind him to get to more than one Super Bowl.

"But lets hold that against him anyway"

YardRat
01-31-2017, 07:39 PM
"But lets hold that against him anyway"

It should be held against him, the biggest reason Miami could never establish a complimentary running game is Marino would never allow it.

Mike13
01-31-2017, 07:44 PM
It should be held against him, the biggest reason Miami could never establish a complimentary running game is Marino would never allow it.
Bull****.

YardRat
01-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Bull****.

Hardly. Whenever their *******s started to pinch up a bit, Marino consistently abandoned the run in favor of his arm.

Generalissimus Gibby
02-01-2017, 03:15 AM
I am sorry, I know Brady has a **** load of rings and he is one of the greatest in history but I have to move Johny Unitas, Francis Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, and Bart Starr up. I have to put Unitas as the greatest of all time. There are two eras of pro football, before the 1958 NFL title game and after. Second, United would have over 100,000 yards if he enjoyed the pass protections of today and so would Tarkenton. If we played football by sixties and seventies rules on the other hand, Brady would be in bad trouble. Could you imagine Brady having to play the no name defense twice a year, and the Steel Curtain, and the Raider defense of the 1970s to get to the superbowl and then having to take on Doomsday I or II or the Purple People Eaters? Brady would have very pedestrian numbers.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Can't really argue the top 5 except maybe the order.

Sammy Baugh got the shaft though.

Bill Cody
02-01-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm a fan of old school football but Bart Starr would not be a starter in today's league, he benefitted from being on some great teams with arguably the greatest coach. He wouldn't make my top 15.

YardRat
02-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Baugh >>> Starr

- - - Updated - - -

And Brady should have the required asterisk.

Historian
02-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Where did Todd Collins end up?

swiper
02-01-2017, 05:00 PM

You are crazy.

DynaPaul
02-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Part of the list is subjective but Jim definitely deserves to be there. Congrats to him!

WagonCircler
02-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Countdown to obligatory "Kelly was a drunken a-hole....." comment by an idiot Canadian...3.....2....1....

YardRat
02-01-2017, 06:11 PM
You are crazy.

Marino was a great passer, not so much QB. Starr was along for the ride, the Bob Griese of the 60's. Kelly was better than Young in TWO leagues.

Night Train
02-02-2017, 08:20 AM
Where did Todd Collins end up?
Just below Dan Manucci.

swiper
02-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Wow. It's incredible how Bills fans still over-value Jim Kelly.

Try getting a QB who can actually win a Super Bowl given four tries in a row.

Mace
02-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Marino was a great passer, not so much QB. Starr was along for the ride, the Bob Griese of the 60's. Kelly was better than Young in TWO leagues.

Nah, Starr was an integral part of "the ride", honestly so was Griese for the Dolphins. Unfortunately when you compare Young in the playoffs to Kelly, it doesn't go so well, I was just looking at the stats.

It's good Kelly is in the top 15, but well, the team and players in the big game...just weren't themselves and you have to factor that in for whatever reason though I love Kelly.

stuckincincy
02-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Just below Dan Manucci.

And Dennis Shaw's one big year, thanks to Marlin Briscoe.

WagonCircler
02-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Nah, Starr was an integral part of "the ride", honestly so was Griese for the Dolphins. Unfortunately when you compare Young in the playoffs to Kelly, it doesn't go so well, I was just looking at the stats.

It's good Kelly is in the top 15, but well, the team and players in the big game...just weren't themselves and you have to factor that in for whatever reason though I love Kelly.

Out-coached in the first two. Out-talented in the last two.

None of the four were Kelly's fault. Had it not been for him, the Bills wouldn't have made it to any of them.

Anyone who can't see that is an idiot.

ticatfan
02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
http://ca.complex.com/sports/2013/09/worst-quarterback-nfl-history/ryan-leaf

This is a list of the top 50 worst. One Bills QB is on the list at #25. Any guesses on who this is, without looking??

YardRat
02-03-2017, 05:38 PM
IMO considering Earl Morral played far more than Griese, including the divisional and conference title games, throughout their perfect season it knocks Griese down a few pegs.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a list of the top 50 worst. One Bills QB is on the list at #25. Any guesses on who this is, without looking??

Joe Dufek.

Mr. Pink
02-03-2017, 05:44 PM

gonna go with JP

Night Train
02-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Losman, little doubt.

Mace
02-03-2017, 09:03 PM
IMO considering Earl Morral played far more than Griese, including the divisional and conference title games, throughout their perfect season it knocks Griese down a few pegs.

Oh geez, I don't know if you even remember watching them play, but Morrall (while having his moments yet) was not anywhere near as much trouble as Griese was. Griese was one of those guys I didn't like because he'd hurt the team you were rooting for against them, and accordingly I will always respect.

It was the same with Stabler. Oh I didn't like the Raiders and Stabler, and his stats over time look like junk, but he'd win games you didn't want him to, and come up big in moments.