PDA

View Full Version : Tyrod clock starts today

Skooby
02-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Tick Tick....

Today is the first day the Bills could release QB Tyrod Taylor, if they so choose. Essentially a 5-week window until $$ guaranteed March 12.

Bill Cody
02-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Tick Tick....

Today is the first day the Bills could release QB Tyrod Taylor, if they so choose. Essentially a 5-week window until $$ guaranteed March 12.

doesn't he have to pass a physical to be released? And could he do so now?

Skooby
02-06-2017, 09:52 AM
doesn't he have to pass a physical to be released? And could he do so now?
Tyrod is going to try and play injured one way or the other and I assure you that he will pass any physical given by the Bills. It'll be given just before he's due the money or redoes his previous contract to spread the cap hit out over a few years.

Bill Cody
02-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Tyrod is going to try and play injured one way or the other and I assure you that he will pass any physical given by the Bills. It'll be given just before he's due the money or redoes his previous contract to spread the cap hit out over a few years.

But you acknowledge we can't cut him until he passes a physical correct?

Let's separate the two issues here. Sure he wants to play and sure he will play, no question. But he also has to KNOW that it's in his financial interest to fail the physical. Why would he want to pass it? If he fails, the Bills are on the hook for 30 large, no? And he knows the Bills want out of the deal and nobody else is going to give him that same money if he's released. It's all about his health at the deadline unless I'm missing something. I think there's some drama here.

Skooby
02-06-2017, 10:28 AM
But you acknowledge we can't cut him until he passes a physical correct?

Let's separate the two issues here. Sure he wants to play and sure he will play, no question. But he also has to KNOW that it's in his financial interest to fail the physical. Why would he want to pass it? If he fails, the Bills are on the hook for 30 large, no? And he knows the Bills want out of the deal and nobody else is going to give him that same money if he's released. It's all about his health at the deadline unless I'm missing something. I think there's some drama here.
He must pass a physical to be cut without the Bills being responsible for paying him ~$30 M. The Bills give the physical and it's not going to independently verified. Tyrod is going to do whatever he can to find a way to stay injured if he thinks he's got nothing to lose but that also takes him away from being able to play on other teams as well, so it's a double edge sword.

Bill Cody
02-06-2017, 11:10 AM
He must pass a physical to be cut without the Bills being responsible for paying him ~$30 M. The Bills give the physical and it's not going to independently verified. Tyrod is going to do whatever he can to find a way to stay injured if he thinks he's got nothing to lose but that also takes him away from being able to play on other teams as well, so it's a double edge sword.

Think about this. What would you do if you were him, a career backup on the cusp of getting a 30m contract? I'm just saying there is some drama here.

Skooby
02-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Think about this. What would you do if you were him, a career backup on the cusp of getting a 30m contract? I'm just saying there is some drama here.

He had a groin injury, it's not like he had a quad bypass. He'll be fine, he's not getting $30 M.

Bill Cody
02-06-2017, 11:47 AM
He had a groin injury, it's not like he had a quad bypass. He'll be fine, he's not getting $30 M.

He has 30m reasons to fail that physical. It doesn't matter if the day after he competes in the triatholon. The Bills were worried enough about it to hold him out of the last game. But you know it's a non issue? Ok.
I guess you're right, it's not like you've ever been wrong before.

DraftBoy
02-06-2017, 12:07 PM
He has 30m reasons to fail that physical. It doesn't matter if the day after he competes in the triatholon. The Bills were worried enough about it to hold him out of the last game. But you know it's a non issue? Ok.
I guess you're right, it's not like you've ever been wrong before.

Sure, but he doesn't have a say in passing or failing the physical. The Bills administer it so there is almost no way he fails it.

Now depending on the contract language, and CBA wording, he may be able to file a grievance in court and have the physical reviewed by an non-affiliate physician if he wants to challenge the results.

Not sure he'd take it that far, but who knows.

Turf
02-06-2017, 12:50 PM
After watching the game last night, I saw some incredible throws and catches. And it occurred to me that Tyrod will never ever even be close to be able to make those passes and compete at that level. So I am changing my vote to move on and keep trying to find a pocket passing QB that can thread the needle when need be. That catch by Julio Jones that should have won the game was one of the most incredible catches I ever saw. We'll never see that kind of throw with Tyrod, or Cardale for that matter.

YardRat
02-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Sure, but he doesn't have a say in passing or failing the physical. The Bills administer it so there is almost no way he fails it.

Now depending on the contract language, and CBA wording, he may be able to file a grievance in court and have the physical reviewed by an non-affiliate physician if he wants to challenge the results.

Not sure he'd take it that far, but who knows.

Pretty sure it says in the CBA every player has a right to a second opinion of their own choosing.

DraftBoy
02-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Pretty sure it says in the CBA every player has a right to a second opinion of their own choosing.

I believe so as well, I'm just not familiar enough with the specific language nor what the contract specifies.

Bill Cody
02-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Wait so Taylor has no say in it but the Bills administer does? I'm not following. What happens if his groin is say 60% healed in a month? They just check the "pass" box? I'm not being flip, I honestly don't get it. What does "passing" mean? That he's healthy on that day or he's expected to be healthy before the season? And if he's not fully healthy at the time of the exam what happens then?

Skooby
02-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Self-serving physicals won't fly and groin injuries are par for NFL players, it didn't stop him from playing did it and the team held him out. If he can play, he's passing a physical.

Skooby
02-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Wait so Taylor has no say in it but the Bills administer does? I'm not following. What happens if his groin is say 60% healed in a month? They just check the "pass" box? I'm not being flip, I honestly don't get it. What does "passing" mean? That he's healthy on that day or he's expected to be healthy before the season? And if he's not fully healthy at the time of the exam what happens then?

If he has an injury that prevents him from ever playing football again, he gets $30 M automatically without further debate. Groin injuries don't fall into that type of opportunity and if he wants to file a grievance for having a groin injury it's his choice but that's not going to be considered career ending.

Point is, it's a team doctor that will evaluate him and there's no way he will fail it for a groin injury.

DraftBoy
02-06-2017, 04:17 PM

The Bills medical staff is who will clear him or not. Like I said he may have some ability to appeal, but I'm not sure to what level and how much it may matter.

His groin could be only 20% healed and the Bills would still pass him on his physical.

Bill Cody
02-06-2017, 04:57 PM
The Bills medical staff is who will clear him or not. Like I said he may have some ability to appeal, but I'm not sure to what level and how much it may matter.

His groin could be only 20% healed and the Bills would still pass him on his physical.

Yeah that's probably true and maybe the groin is fine anyway. But if it isn't? Lot of lawyers be interested in that action if the Bills cut him and he's not able to pass an unbiased physical.

Skooby
02-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Yeah that's probably true and maybe the groin is fine anyway. But if it isn't? Lot of lawyers be interested in that action if the Bills cut him and he's not able to pass an unbiased physical.
This injury isn't considered a career ending injury & is a very normal event, what's next bruising leaving scars for life?

Skooby
02-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Tyrod thinks he will earn the same money on the open market so you think he will stay try to play hurt or walk away after being cut to go to another team ??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/10/report-tyrod-taylor-unwilling-to-take-less-to-stay-with-bills/