PDA

View Full Version : Wilkinson was released by the Skins; should the Bills make him an offer as a B/U?

WG
07-29-2003, 03:07 PM
I don't think he's worth that much, maybe $1.5M. He's been overrated since he left Cincy. But, he's an average starter and can rush the passer too.

With depth issues at DT, perhaps it would be good to talk to him. He can spell Adams on passing downs. It'll keep everyone fresh and buy us some insurance in case of injury.

Pride
07-29-2003, 03:08 PM
I am all for it... how about 3 years a 1 mil per year?

Bulldog
07-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Personality wise, I don't know how he would mesh with this team. Hasn't he had work ethic and character issues in both Cincy and Washington? I have to honestly say that I have never really seen him play much.

The Spaz
07-29-2003, 03:11 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick76777
07-29-2003, 03:11 PM
I'd pick anybody up for league min.

Ebenezer
07-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Agree with Patrick...at the league minimum you can always cut him before he becomes a problem.

lordofgun
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Definitely!

WG
07-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Look, we have tons of cap space that's gonna go unused this year. If we can improve our lot, why not?

I'm sayin' only a 1 yr. or a no-bonus contract.

Yes, Bulldog, I do believe that he's not the best work-ethic guy. He looked overweight on TV last night here.

He won't play for league/vet min. He was scheduled to get $3.5M from the Skins so I can see why they cut him. He wouldn't rework his contract reasonably. But he's worth more than vet-min IMO. And I'm not high on him at all. He is more of a pass rusher however, and given Adam's weight and playing style, perhaps having a pass-rushing DT to rotate in on third downs would be the difference for us this year.

As well, my biggest concern is still depth on our DL. While Wilkinson may not be the best guy, our options are limited. Keep in mind that if Adams or PW goes out w/ an injury, then we're screwed. It may be the same as last year except w/ Spikes backing up the DL. Not as bad, but certainly not good nonetheless.

Besides, guys like Spikes and PW will "keep him in line."

I'm not saying it's the best case scenario, and obviously I don't think it is. But it is a valid option for us to assist w/ depth and pass-rushing ability.

Plus, he may play for us for cheaper. Many teams may not have the available cap space, and how many interested teams have the talent we do to "make a run."

Brian H
07-29-2003, 03:32 PM
I think the fact that we have Lebeau and Spikes may lure him here with a small contract even!

Brian H
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
I think wys has ap oint here what happens when Adams needs a breather?? Edwards?? Bannan?? I don't think I'd feel that secure with one of these two anchoring the run control with Williams..

Bulldog
07-29-2003, 03:43 PM
I would sign him for the simple reason that if we don't, the Pats will! Seriously, do the Pats need help on the d-line?

Brian H
07-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Absolutely and they were looking at Ted Washington......

Brian H
07-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Wilkinson had his best years under Lebeau and he would accept a backup role knowing Adams wont play every single down....

StanMarino13
07-29-2003, 04:15 PM
I think the Bears were looking for another option then Traylor, or Washington as they wanted to release one of them. I believe Wilkinson was rumoured to possibly go there. I dont think he'll take the vet min from u guys, but if he did that would be great for ur depth.

Tatonka
07-29-2003, 04:21 PM
i would ****** LOVE to have that guy as a back up.. are you kidding me??

Throne Logic
07-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Might play for cheap. How much will he get this year from the existing contract he had with the Skins?

Work ethic has been horrible. However, I don't want him on the Pats, either. $1 million for one year. Gives him a chance to prove himself on a potential contender. Gives us needed depth in case our 1 and 2 year guys don't pan out.

Brian H
07-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Mcglockton is not looking good for the Jets and they have probably contacted his agent by now......

WG
07-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Might play for cheap. How much will he get this year from the existing contract he had with the Skins?

Work ethic has been horrible. However, I don't want him on the Pats, either. $1 million for one year. Gives him a chance to prove himself on a potential contender. Gives us needed depth in case our 1 and 2 year guys don't pan out.

He's not getting a dime, that's why they cut him. He was scheduled to make $3.5M.

They were trying to renegotiate w/ him, but apparently he wasn't willing to budge much.

WG
07-29-2003, 05:42 PM
From the ESPN article:

"Washington officials wanted Wilkinson to lower his base salary to $2 million, but with a chance to earn back the $1.5 million difference through incentives. Sources said that, if he had played about 60 percent of the snaps, Wilkinson would have recouped the pay cut. But the player and his agent wanted to craft a deal in which Wilkinson would have had to log just 60 percent of the non-"nickel" defense snaps.

Plus, the more the Redskins scrutinized Wilkinson's performance in 2002, the more club officials became convinced they could live without him. The former Ohio State standout participated in only 48.7 percent of the snaps in 2002, his lowest ratio since being traded to the Redskins in 1998, and the team ranked 12th against the run.

Wilkinson, 30, had a career-low 16 tackles in 2002 and failed to register a sack. Even for a player whose primary responsibility is to anchor the middle, and allow the linebackers to run to the ball, 16 tackles is an alarmingly low total.

In his four previous seasons in Washington, when Wilkinson played a much higher ratio of the plays, the Redskins ranked 28th, 27th, 22nd and 20th in defensive versus the rush. The conclusion of coaches and team officials: The run defense probably will not be much worse without Wilkinson as a part of it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1586941.html

I'd offer him $1.5M. I just don't think he's worth more.

Stewie
07-29-2003, 06:01 PM
I logged on to ask you guys the same question..

I'm all for bringing him in here.. I yelled that at TD today at practice too..

The Ralph showed up and he got a nice ovation from the fans...

Kelly The Dog
07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
well, with Krumrie as the DL coach, and Spikes behind him, and LeBeau here, too, if they DO look at him or sign him we will know he can contribute. Krumrie probably knows him the best.

venis2k1
07-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Look, we have tons of cap space that's gonna go unused this year. If we can improve our lot, why not?

Worth a shot, Man its hot, Look a robot...

http://www.battlebots.com/images/bot_photos/SF01/Medium/bot-00742.jpg

Man i need something to do:help:

Jan Reimers
07-29-2003, 07:35 PM
No way. He's an overrated head case. Bannan and Edwards are young and improving as backup DTs. We should spend our money elsewhere - OL depth, TE, another safety, and/or a quality return guy.

MDFINFAN
07-29-2003, 08:06 PM
You don't want this guy:
Here's the lowdown:

Wilkinson is scheduled to make a team-high $3.5 million this season, but the Redskins think that's too much for a player who had a career-low 17 tackles and no sacks last season.

They didn't cut him for nothing.

WG
07-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I know that MD. You know I've seen too much of him living in this area. BUT, he's at least capable and I think this may be a good time to pick him up since he's essentially showing the league what he can do at this pivotal juncture in his career.

I'm assuming he'd step it up a notch. If not, then he's essentially kissing his career goodbye. He's only 30, he's not 36.

It appears that he needs some conditioning, but keep in mind, Adams didn't do much better than that either last year and he's considered a godsend here.

I've been saying the same thing about Adams. I think both would help each other and also provide us w/ some heretofore unproven depth. If nothing else, he's depth.

Adams only had 22 total tackles.

Halbert
07-29-2003, 08:53 PM
It all depends on his real demeanor. I haven't paid much attention to him but he did have a bad rep for most of his early career. If he's matured beyond that then I'd wet myself to have him as a backup. If not, we sure don't need a bad seed to create splits in what now is a very focused locker room.

I agree that we should spend the remaining cap if we can. But if TD doesn't go after him hard then attitude would be the most obvious reason.

SABURZFAN
07-30-2003, 12:11 AM
i'm sure that a few teams will be interested.

G. Host
07-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Pick him up so he only costs per game if he is cut. That will give him incentive to work and get along with fellow players.

Day One
07-30-2003, 10:51 AM
If LeBeau can poke him in the tush every few minutes and make him earn whatever he's being paid, go for it.

WG
07-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
Pick him up so he only costs per game if he is cut. That will give him incentive to work and get along with fellow players.

I think that's the way it works anyway G.

Unless a player gets a signing bonus, he only gets his salary on a "per game" basis. He can be cut at any time and doesn't get paid further.

He's already collected a SB for this year from the Skins years ago. No one's gonna give him much for a SB. A straight salary contract would be nice since we'd be allowed to do exactly that, cut him should he "not work out" for one reason or another.

TedMock
07-30-2003, 12:46 PM
I actually don't think he was terrible last season. He was asked to take up blockers and he did. In doing that your stats go down. That's an unfair assessment and low blow job by the Redskins. It wasn't like the guy was holding out, he showed up at mini-camp and at training camp ready to go. They told him on the sideline not to bother dressing. NOW having said that, he was a 1st overall pick in 1994 and a huge bust. He doesn't suck but he's not anything that he was hyped to be. He's fine as the "other" tackle, he's just not your A-1 top dog on the line. I think he'd work well in the rotation. Throw him in there to take up blockers. Daryll Gardner had an unbelievable year last year playing next to him. Granted Gardner is an awesome talent when healthy, I still say Big Daddy helped that cause. The Redskins defense, as much as I hate to admit it, was actually pretty solid last season.......except for Smoot......o-ver-rat-ed!

lordofgun
07-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Day One
If LeBeau can poke him in the tush every few minutes and make him earn whatever he's being paid, go for it.

Welcome Day One!

WG
07-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Agree TM!!

BillsNick
07-30-2003, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TedMock
[B] ...... That's an unfair assessment and low blow job by the Redskins. :cynic: :dink:

Sorry- had to yank that part, don't know what else to say. he he