PDA

View Full Version : Draft - Trade Down

Night Train
02-11-2017, 08:25 PM
..if a decent offer is made.

Only 6 picks. We need more. Nothing in Round 4 and 7.

Draft Temple LB Haason Reddick, who had a ton of great game film and dominated at the Senior Bowl. Always around the ball and can rush the passer. He starts. WR Zay Jones of East Carolina makes sense in Round #2. We just hired his position coach and the guy is a legit starter year 1. Then get Kellys nephew in Round 3 to compete at QB. Worth the gamble. Get secondary depth later in the draft or in FA.

If the phone rings while on the clock at #10, answer it.

JMO

Turf
02-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Round 7. Really?

OpIv37
02-11-2017, 08:39 PM
I'd take a trade down over a trade up any day.

I like Watkins when healthy but we gave up too much to get him. Think about this: not counting a top 15 QB (because no one is going to give one of those up), how many current players would you give up this year and next year's first round picks to get? There are 15, maybe 20 guys in the whole league that would be worth it, and those are proven NFL commodities. It's just not worth the risk.

Mace
02-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Round 7. Really?

Yes, look at last year. Teams even find value and starts in UDFA if they have good scouting staffs. UDFA's, good ones, are not inclined to trundle on to Buffalo, so, you make them.

Trading down gets you more shots at whatever. We need more shots at whatever. I'd be great with it.

YardRat
02-11-2017, 11:38 PM
I'd be OK with a trade down.

HHURRICANE
02-12-2017, 04:13 AM
Tyrod gets cut and we take Watson.

sudzy
02-12-2017, 05:31 AM
I figured the Bills would be in line of a compensatory pick or two, but after looking it up, I guess not. http://overthecap.com/projecting-2017-compensatory-draft-picks/

Buffalo

If Robert Blanton and Corey White do not qualify, Buffalo will be eligible for a net-value 7th, but it will not make it above the 32-pick limit.

The Bills front office clearly doesn't understand how to use the system to their advantage. A couple well run teams have 4, Denver and Kansas City. New England always seems to have at least one.

YardRat
02-12-2017, 08:28 AM
I figured the Bills would be in line of a compensatory pick or two, but after looking it up, I guess not. http://overthecap.com/projecting-2017-compensatory-draft-picks/

The Bills front office clearly doesn't understand how to use the system to their advantage. A couple well run teams have 4, Denver and Kansas City. New England always seems to have at least one.

Don't worry, next year after Gilmore, Woods, Alexander, Brown etc all leave this year in free agency we should get at least a couple comp picks for the '18 draft. Don't know if that's a definitive sign of being 'well run', though.

YardRat
02-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Considering Taylor's contract is triggered by a team option clause, if they don't pick it up he qualifies as a FA and not a released player, correct?

The Jokeman
02-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Considering Taylor's contract is triggered by a team option clause, if they don't pick it up he qualifies as a FA and not a released player, correct?

Correct. Yet the Bills could also trade him if another team was comfortable with his contract. In terms of the draft to me the best option is a trade to the late teens early twenties and grab an extra 3rd Rounder and use our 1st on the best CB on the board (assuming Gilmore isn't re-signed.) In terms of compensation I'd be willing to take a 4th this year and conditional pick next year. Then use the free cap space on the UFA RT from Baltimore, bring in Nick Foles and draft Nathan Peterman with our 3rd.

justasportsfan
02-12-2017, 10:53 AM
..if a decent offer is made.

Only 6 picks. We need more. Nothing in Round 4 and 7.

Draft Temple LB Haason Reddick, who had a ton of great game film and dominated at the Senior Bowl. Always around the ball and can rush the passer. He starts. WR Zay Jones of East Carolina makes sense in Round #2. We just hired his position coach and the guy is a legit starter year 1. Then get Kellys nephew in Round 3 to compete at QB. Worth the gamble. Get secondary depth later in the draft or in FA.

If the phone rings while on the clock at #10, answer it.

JMO

I like

SpikedLemonade
02-12-2017, 12:11 PM
I hate trade down draft threads.

Luisito23
02-12-2017, 02:13 PM
I hate trade down draft threads.

I'd rmuch rather have one elite player then 2 good players...but, that's just me.

sudzy
02-12-2017, 03:13 PM
I'd rmuch rather have one elite player then 2 good players...but, that's just me.

I agree. But, for a team that has been drafting in the top ten constantly for close to two decades, they have a handful of good players and (IMO) only one "elite" player. McCoy, who they traded for.

BillsImpossible
02-12-2017, 04:42 PM
bring in Nick Foles...

Come on Jokeman, it's dinner time.

I just barfed at the thought of the Bills signing Nick Foles.

That's just gross.

swiper
02-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Come on Jokeman, it's dinner time.

I just barfed at the thought of the Bills signing Nick Foles.

That's just gross.

Far better than Cardale Jones jlb.

SpikedLemonade
02-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Of course........idiots have no common sense.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Of course........idiots have no common sense.

Last time the Bills traded down they took EJ Manuel and Kiko Alonso with the Rams 1st and 2nd rounders.

Good thing they didn't take Levon Bell with the extra pick.

Mace
02-12-2017, 06:24 PM

Well, you have to wonder if they can even find a player who can play 16 games, not even considering elite or good. The more players they draft, the more chances they have to actually find a guy who plays in games !

Bill Cody
02-13-2017, 02:20 PM
In general more picks equals a better draft. The draft is such a crap shoot that having more bodies increases the chances of hitting. NE trades down a lot and they have a better roster than we do, it's just the way the numbers work. The problem is the Bills are always so desperate to fill holes that we draft with all the discipline of a Rex Ryan No Shoes Allowed Party. But we should be good now, Peg and Russ Brandon are busy watching film of some shiny toys that will sell some tix.

Night Train
02-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Numbers increase the chances. I hate being short on picks and the draft is always good for things like secondary depth. Never seems to be a shortage of athletic guys who can run. The right coaching/scheme makes them quick fits.

Meanwhile, we have other actual needs and having a couple extra picks allows a team to make that pick at a position of need. Example - You can gamble on a QB without thinking you wasted a pick.

Bill Cody
02-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Example - You can gamble on a QB without thinking you wasted a pick.

Unless of course it is a wasted pick, in which case it still really does feel wasted. Like Cardale. "With the 139th pick of the 2016 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills....elect to set their card on fire and pass"

Sorry I'm in Grumpysville today. I watched the Super Bowl again last night on NFL NW. Then I think of the Bills and it's just....annoying

stuckincincy
02-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Last time the Bills traded down they took EJ Manuel and Kiko Alonso with the Rams 1st and 2nd rounders.

Good thing they didn't take Levon Bell with the extra pick.

Nah...they drafted Spiller #1 the year before.