PDA

View Full Version : DE at #10?

Mr. Cynical
02-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Was thinking about this... Denver destroyed Brady with the two pass rushing hammers in Von Miller and Ware. I realize they run a 3-4, so we can't replicate that exactly. So, since we are going 4-3, and given the weakish/old current line (love Kyle but he's probably done), seems to me if we had an elite pass rushing end that that would be a good use of the #10. Is Derek Barnett worthy?

SpikedLemonade
02-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Crap NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thurmal
02-15-2017, 03:15 PM
It makes a lot of sense, but I'm really hesitant to pull for a team that has an iffy drafting history to make high picks based on need. Seems like the safe route is to just pick the guy with the least chance of sucking. I know that's really pessimistic, but we're talking about guys who drafted EJ Manuel at #13.

Mouldsie
02-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Yes. If Solomon Thomas is there and we pass on him I will not be happy.

EDS
02-15-2017, 03:41 PM
If you do not trust Lawson, and there are many valid reasons for that, then sure.

Bill Cody
02-15-2017, 04:04 PM
if we don't go QB I'm thinking we go CB to replace Gilmore, maybe a guy like Marshon Lattimore or Marlon Humphrey

YardRat
02-15-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Hughes and Lawson can do as ends in a four man front. We've already seen Hughes opposite Mario, obviously, and that wasn't too shabby.

Mace
02-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Well I'm not sure you give up on Shaq Lawson that fast, he was projected as 3-4 edge setter or 4-3 base end, and notable against the run (vital for Tampa-2) :

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/shaq-lawson?id=2555252

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983523/shaq-lawson

You have to give him the benefit of the doubt (imho for only his 2nd year), because of his shoulder & Ryan's crap defense, and I'm not sure you can't expect better from Hughes under Waufle back in a 4-3. I wouldn't go DE, imho need to replace Gilmore (money) or Aaron Williams (injury) real quick in this draft for a coverage oriented defense.

Mouldsie
02-15-2017, 07:07 PM
It's not giving up on Lawson. You should have 3 ends and one that can kick inside helps.

Mace
02-15-2017, 07:47 PM
It's not giving up on Lawson. You should have 3 ends and one that can kick inside helps.

Yeah but first round at #10 ? Oh I dunno.

Mouldsie
02-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Yeah but first round at #10 ? Oh I dunno.

Works for Denver and KC! I would also argue that Hughes needs to earn his keep or risk losing his roster spot soon.

Mace
02-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Works for Denver and KC! I would also argue that Hughes needs to earn his keep or risk losing his roster spot soon.

I'd agree with you about Hughes, but we're not as complete a team as KC or Denver are. That's the kind of stuff you can do when you have few compelling holes to fill. Not at #10, we just can't afford it.

Mouldsie
02-16-2017, 11:24 PM
I'd agree with you about Hughes, but we're not as complete a team as KC or Denver are. That's the kind of stuff you can do when you have few compelling holes to fill. Not at #10, we just can't afford it.

I'm in rebuild mode and DE is #2 on my priority list after QB; and we ain't finding a QB until 2018.

That's the world I am operating in assuming we cut TT

DesertFox24
02-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Yes. If Solomon Thomas is there and we pass on him I will not be happy.
I view Solomon Thomas as more of the heir apparent to Kyle Williams rather than a DE. Yes I know where he played but he is shorter and 290 he reminded me a lot of Aaron Donald.

Yes I would gladly take him at 10

DesertFox24
02-17-2017, 12:02 AM

You do not draft for need just draft the best player available at the spot you pick or trade down or up. Drafting for need is what Marv Levy did and we see what happened there. James Hardy, Maybin, the list goes on and on. Just look at who we could have drafted during his tenor and that is all the proof you need drafting for need is not the way to go.

X-Era
02-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Overall I think the only wrong answer at 10 is to reach. Position wise there are very few positions that couldn't use a player with star potential. Yes, there are some positions that are more glaring than others. But, this team needs to break out of the mediocrity and adding a few stars might just be the ticket. Especially when there is no clear path to adding a franchise QB... not from within, FA, nor the draft.

DraftBoy
02-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Just give me the best talent, we have too many holes to try and position pick a guy.

Whoever is left of:
DE Garrett
DT Allen
DE Thomas
FS Hooker
RB Cook
SS Adams
LB Foster
WR Williams
RB Fournette
CB Lattimore
TE Howard
SS Peppers

Should be the pick. I'm also not opposed to trading down to the low teens-early 20's and looking at guys like Cunningham, Ramczyk, Ross, Humphrey, Jones, Robinson, or Barnett.

coastal
02-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Wat ever we need to do to tank

kingJofNYC
02-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Put me on the Thomas train, he offers versatility, I see him playing inside too. Would love to nab him, with Kyle still here we could have more flexibility up front and rotate well.

Mouldsie
02-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Just give me the best talent, we have too many holes to try and position pick a guy.

Whoever is left of:
DE Garrett
DT Allen
DE Thomas
FS Hooker

SS Adams
LB Foster
WR Williams

CB Lattimore
TE Howard

Should be the pick. I'm also not opposed to trading down to the low teens-early 20's and looking at guys like Cunningham, Ramczyk, Ross, Humphrey, Jones, Robinson, or Barnett.

Edited your list

X-Era
02-17-2017, 03:14 PM
For example I'd love Peppers. Love the way he plays. Is there a clear position for him as a tweener? No. Can he put on 10 pounds and play Will? Maybe. Might be a nice option if Zach is gone. Especially since hes more S than OLB and the league has faster TEs. Just want that guy on the field for us making plays.

sudzy
02-18-2017, 05:46 AM

Whoever is left of:
DE Garrett
DT Allen
DE Thomas
FS Hooker
RB Cook
SS Adams
LB Foster
WR Williams
RB Fournette
CB Lattimore
TE Howard
SS Peppers

Yes, what I've been saying. This team is badly in need of studs. My philosophy would be, draft talent and fill holes via free agency.

k-oneputt
02-18-2017, 09:12 AM
For example I'd love Peppers. Love the way he plays. Is there a clear position for him as a tweener? No. Can he put on 10 pounds and play Will? Maybe. Might be a nice option if Zach is gone. Especially since hes more S than OLB and the league has faster TEs. Just want that guy on the field for us making plays.

If they take Peppers at #10 I give up. There is no hope for this team then. I will say anything is possible though, they did take EJ in the 1st rd.

stuckincincy
02-18-2017, 10:38 AM
If they take Peppers at #10 I give up. There is no hope for this team then. I will say anything is possible though, they did take EJ in the 1st rd.

This pundit's mock draft has Peppers benig picked in the 2nd round...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786173/article/reuter-4round-mock-draft-top-talent-drops-with-early-qb-run

kingJofNYC
02-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Peppers is an athlete, I honestly don't think he has a defined position. He's not a standout at Safety, shouldn't be taken in the first half of round 1. Not saying he's a bad player, you want to draft locks up top, Peppers needs some work.

stuckincincy
02-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Put me on the Thomas train, he offers versatility, I see him playing inside too. Would love to nab him, with Kyle still here we could have more flexibility up front and rotate well.

I'm warming to Tennessee's Derek Barnett.

The Jokeman
02-28-2017, 12:13 PM

Whoever is left of:
DE Garrett
DT Allen
DE Thomas
FS Hooker
RB Cook
SS Adams
LB Foster
WR Williams
RB Fournette
CB Lattimore
TE Howard
SS Peppers

I have a feeling it's going to be Hooker or Adams.

stuckincincy
02-28-2017, 03:03 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be Hooker or Adams.

No Alabama players please. Ragland. Kirkpatrick, McCarron, Andre Smith etc.Injured from the git-go.

Saban with his need for self-aggrandizement doesn't care a whit about his player's health. His graduates routinely come to the draft with injury questions, because he uses them no matter what.
marks.

The Jokeman
02-28-2017, 05:25 PM
No Alabama players please. Ragland. Kirkpatrick, McCarron, Andre Smith etc.Injured from the git-go.

Saban with his need for self-aggrandizement doesn't care a whit about his player's health. His graduates routinely come to the draft with injury questions, because he uses them no matter what.
marks.

Hooker went to OSU and Davis is a LSU guy.

Mr. Pink
02-28-2017, 09:23 PM

Whoever is left of:

FS Hooker
SS Adams
LB Foster
WR Williams
CB Lattimore
SS Peppers

I took off the guys who have zero chance at being drafted by the Bills.

They're not taking a DE/DT with what they have and the fact they took what will end up being 2 DE's last year...Lawson and Washington. You're looking at a DLine of probably Lawson, Dareus, Williams, Hughes. So you're not gonna draft a backup at pick 10...no way, no chance, no how.

They're not taking a TE at pick 10 since they have 34623462345 bazillion dollars tied to that position in Clay...again, backup at pick 10? Nope.

They're not taking a RB at pick 10 since they have 325235325235 bazillion dollars tied to McCoy...same reasoning.

So really what makes sense? Lattimore or Humphrey at CB to replace Gilmore. Hooker at Safety. Or Peppers as a Cover 2 LB. I think your pick is somewhere in that 4 guys.

Kenny
03-01-2017, 10:50 AM
I took off the guys who have zero chance at being drafted by the Bills.

They're not taking a DE/DT with what they have and the fact they took what will end up being 2 DE's last year...Lawson and Washington. You're looking at a DLine of probably Lawson, Dareus, Williams, Hughes. So you're not gonna draft a backup at pick 10...no way, no chance, no how.

They're not taking a TE at pick 10 since they have 34623462345 bazillion dollars tied to that position in Clay...again, backup at pick 10? Nope.

They're not taking a RB at pick 10 since they have 325235325235 bazillion dollars tied to McCoy...same reasoning.

So really what makes sense? Lattimore or Humphrey at CB to replace Gilmore. Hooker at Safety. Or Peppers as a Cover 2 LB. I think your pick is somewhere in that 4 guys.
Agreed with taking TE and RB off... We'd be bat**** crazy to go after those positions early. But if Garrett or Allen are still there at 10, I think you race up to the podium to hand in your pick.

Realistically though, Safety (if Adams or Hooker are still there) or best CB available are likely the picks. Hooker might actually still be there given he's hurt.

The Jokeman
03-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Hooker went to OSU and Davis is a LSU guy.

I meant Adams, lol I don't know why I called him Davis lol

The Jokeman
03-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Agreed with taking TE and RB off... We'd be bat**** crazy to go after those positions early. But if Garrett or Allen are still there at 10, I think you race up to the podium to hand in your pick.

Realistically though, Safety (if Adams or Hooker are still there) or best CB available are likely the picks. Hooker might actually still be there given he's hurt.

TE some good prospects this year and it wouldn't shock me if took one in first three days of draft as we sorely lacking depth at the position and some of these could be matchup nightmares coupled with Clay and Watkins on the field.