PDA

View Full Version : Kicking the tires on AJ McCarron, Part 2:

stuckincincy
02-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Whether or not you think McCarron would be a worthwhile addition, here is some more info re his status.

He is not a UFA after the 2017 season. Because he was drafted by CIN with a non-football-related-injury (NFI) status, and he hasn't accrued enough active games to qualify him for unrestricted free agency in 2018.

A team trading for him gets him under current contract terms through 2018. His contract dollar amounts for 2017 is a base salary of $690,000 and a signing bonus of $45,413. Quite inexpensive.
He is an RFA for the 2018 season.

From an article by B'gals beat writer in the Cinci Enquirer on 2/9/17 (JIM OWCZARSKI JOWCZARSKI@ENQUIRER.COM:

"McCarron’s status, long known throughout the league, will likely keep him as an attractive target on the trade market since a team that acquires him has a mechanism in place to allow him to play out another year under their control"...

If CIN trades him (and that's a big "if" - everybody knows about owner Brown, and his philosophy of keeping players to the bitter end of a contract regardless of performance), they would likely be looking for draft picks next year or beyond, because with the bolting of WRs Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu and FS Reggie Nelson in 2016, they were awarded 4 comp picks - two were 3rd rnd selections. That leaves them with 11 picks.

Everybody wants more picks, but too many dilutes the rookie pool money in a given year.

Mouldsie
02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
no

The last buffalo fan
02-16-2017, 12:14 PM
I woud take a long look at him, who knows.

Turf
02-16-2017, 12:41 PM
If we traded for him we'd be dumb enough to sign him to a 45mil/3 yr deal before he plays a snap.

Bill Cody
02-16-2017, 01:47 PM
The extra year of control does nothing to change the opinion I have from part 1 of the "Kick the McCarron Tires" series. And unless part 3 is "Bill Cody gets to bang McCarron's wife" my guess is that won't be persuasive either

stuckincincy
02-16-2017, 03:11 PM
The extra year of control does nothing to change the opinion I have from part 1 of the "Kick the McCarron Tires" series. And unless part 3 is "Bill Cody gets to bang McCarron's wife" my guess is that won't be persuasive either

OK for you, then. Other minds have interest.

stuckincincy
02-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Noted. You don't like him.

So Taylor is your man next season.eh?

YardRat
02-16-2017, 04:29 PM
I'd rather roll with McCarron than Tyrod this season, but I'm not real fond of giving up draft picks to get him.

Night Train
02-16-2017, 08:22 PM
I bet they kick the tires on Nick Foles. Kyle Orton type.

Mace
02-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Everybody wants more picks, but too many dilutes the rookie pool money in a given year.

That doesn't even make sense. Longer term rookie picks are cheaper than endless short term vet fa's and build the younger foundation that sets your organization on a path to continued success without endlessly replugging the same holes with more expensive older guys.

There's absolutely no way you'd want to minimize your longer term, cheaper talent pool in favor of a shorter term more expensive pool of talent. You have to compete for vet fa's and Buffalo is not a desired location without overspending, you lock in your rookie picks within a scale.

Ingtar33
02-16-2017, 10:24 PM
well, if our goal is to roll up the 1st overall pick i guess we could go for AJ. Though I wouldn't give a dime for him, as we can just as easily compete for the no.1 pick if we start Cardale Jones.

stuckincincy
02-16-2017, 10:51 PM
well, if our goal is to roll up the 1st overall pick i guess we could go for AJ. Though I wouldn't give a dime for him, as we can just as easily compete for the no.1 pick if we start Cardale Jones.

What results do you expect from Taylor next season, for the nearly $16M he will get? Playoff berth thanks to his efforts?

djjimkelly
02-16-2017, 10:58 PM

hes way better then orton . orton was near unwatchable

but i want to watch cardele and a 2-14 season so we get then best qb in the 2018 draft

WagonCircler
02-16-2017, 11:03 PM
hes way better then orton . orton was near unwatchable

No he wasn't. He may have been the best QB we've had here since Bledsoe's first year.

Bill Cody
02-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Noted. You don't like him.

So Taylor is your man next season.eh?

no

As I've stated before I divide the Bills QB into 2 camps: a guy that could become a championship QB for us and everyone else. I don't give an F who the QB is if he's from the "everyone else" camp and that includes Tie Rod. Ok?

In a nutshell my take is draft Trubisky at 10 and let him take his lumps or let him sit for a year, fine either way. If he's gone, trade down until you have about 10 draft choices, bolster the team's depth, start Jones and be content with 2-14, pick the QB the following year. I am so so done with the 6-10 to 9-7 train. And that's the train your boy McCarron is on. It's nothing personal, seems like a nice kid. Just not good enough, period.

stuckincincy
02-17-2017, 09:38 PM
no

As I've stated before I divide the Bills QB into 2 camps: a guy that could become a championship QB for us and everyone else. I don't give an F who the QB is if he's from the "everyone else" camp and that includes Tie Rod. Ok?

In a nutshell my take is draft Trubisky at 10 and let him take his lumps or let him sit for a year, fine either way. If he's gone, trade down until you have about 10 draft choices, bolster the team's depth, start Jones and be content with 2-14, pick the QB the following year. I am so so done with the 6-10 to 9-7 train. And that's the train your boy McCarron is on. It's nothing personal, seems like a nice kid. Just not good enough, period.

McCarron's not my "boy." I offer up info about him because he likely will figure is some team's thought processes. I offer to the forum my thoughts, as one who gets more info than most regarding him.

Draft pundits place Trubisky anywhere from 2nd to way, way down.

If he's considered a hot thing, BUF would have to move up. If he drops to BUF's spot some might say he isn't so hot.

What I see so far is a one-season wonder, ala Akili Smith.

swiper
02-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Whatever happened to Greg McElroy?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/19/14656070/nfl-execs-aj-mccarron-best-qb-trade-target

swiper
02-19-2017, 01:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e_p2BJCrC48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch this before you say "no."

The Jokeman
02-19-2017, 06:38 PM

To me Foles is the best bridge option out there as don't expect him to command more than $3million per season. I'm also starting to like the idea of a guy like Nathan Peterman in the 3rd round of the draft to develop with Jones behind him.

coastal
02-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Just TANK

Frenchman
02-19-2017, 07:07 PM
He does have potential. But whether he has stanima who knows!

stuckincincy
02-19-2017, 10:06 PM
That doesn't even make sense. Longer term rookie picks are cheaper than endless short term vet fa's and build the younger foundation that sets your organization on a path to continued success without endlessly replugging the same holes with more expensive older guys.

There's absolutely no way you'd want to minimize your longer term, cheaper talent pool in favor of a shorter term more expensive pool of talent. You have to compete for vet fa's and Buffalo is not a desired location without overspending, you lock in your rookie picks within a scale.

Maybe it does, maybe not. The NFL assigns each club with a dollar figure, apportioned among their draft picks - AFAIK.

NFL and NFLPA contract rules would make the Byzantines dizzy. What I was getting at is if there if a finite amount of $ to spend, more picks = more dilution of the available bucks. To the detriment of the draftee (and his agent).

As to buying an FA, isn't that just a money deal, mitigated/affected by cap considerations?

Bill Cody
02-20-2017, 10:10 AM
McCarron's not my "boy." I offer up info about him because he likely will figure is some team's thought processes. I offer to the forum my thoughts, as one who gets more info than most regarding him.

Draft pundits place Trubisky anywhere from 2nd to way, way down.

If he's considered a hot thing, BUF would have to move up. If he drops to BUF's spot some might say he isn't so hot.

What I see so far is a one-season wonder, ala Akili Smith.

Well ok he's not you're boy he's just a guy you start multiple threads about, my bad.

You're right, inexperience for Trub is a negative. That makes grading him harder, makes him less ready to start and makes it more likely he is there at 10. But inexperience doesn't mean he's either going to be good or bad, just harder to know. Akili Smith sucked. Not sure what that fact has to do with Trub though, very different players.

Taking Trub with a high pick is much riskier than trading for a guy like McCarron but in lottery terms Trub is a Power Ball ticket and AJ is a scratch ticket.

GingerP
02-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Maybe it does, maybe not. The NFL assigns each club with a dollar figure, apportioned among their draft picks - AFAIK.

NFL and NFLPA contract rules would make the Byzantines dizzy. What I was getting at is if there if a finite amount of $ to spend, more picks = more dilution of the available bucks. To the detriment of the draftee (and his agent).

As to buying an FA, isn't that just a money deal, mitigated/affected by cap considerations?

The rookie pool is slotted by pick. If the team acquired more picks, they would get more in the rookie pool, since the allotment goes with the pick.

stuckincincy
02-20-2017, 09:16 PM
The rookie pool is slotted by pick. If the team acquired more picks, they would get more in the rookie pool, since the allotment goes with the pick.

Thank you for the clarification.

I think it also has to do with the rounds - you can have less total picks, but if they are higher, more $ can be allocated.

stuckincincy
02-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Well ok he's not you're boy he's just a guy you start multiple threads about, my bad.

You're right, inexperience for Trub is a negative. That makes grading him harder, makes him less ready to start and makes it more likely he is there at 10. But inexperience doesn't mean he's either going to be good or bad, just harder to know. Akili Smith sucked. Not sure what that fact has to do with Trub though, very different players.

Taking Trub with a high pick is much riskier than trading for a guy like McCarron but in lottery terms Trub is a Power Ball ticket and AJ is a scratch ticket.

And yet, we have the following attributed to the sainted Bill Polian:

..."Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian hasn’t been shy about his affinity for McCarron. Last month he said that the Alabama product is probably the top target for quarterback hungry teams.

Bill Polian says AJ McCarron is probably #1 on the list for teams without a quarterback next season. Adds teams will be "very interested".
— Cincy Jungle (@CincyJungle) January 3, 2017

And just a few days ago, Polian said he would take McCarron over drafting any quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft.

HOF GM Bill Polian just told @ESPN1000 in Chicago he would take #Bengals AJ McCarron over any QB in this draft... https://t.co/nXI9AMqO1n
— Jim Owczarski (@JimOwczarski) February 15, 2017 "...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/19/14656070/nfl-execs-aj-mccarron-best-qb-trade-target

swiper
02-21-2017, 05:19 AM
It seems Bills fans have accurately focused in on the likely choices like Foles or McCarron. Still none of these choices are great.

YardRat
02-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Thank you for the clarification.

I think it also has to do with the rounds - you can have less total picks, but if they are higher, more $ can be allocated.

Yes, a team with only four picks, all in the first four rounds, is going to have a higher rookie allocation than another team with only four picks, all in the last four rounds.

Bill Cody
02-21-2017, 01:38 PM
And yet, we have the following attributed to the sainted Bill Polian:

..."Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian hasn’t been shy about his affinity for McCarron. Last month he said that the Alabama product is probably the top target for quarterback hungry teams.

Bill Polian says AJ McCarron is probably #1 on the list for teams without a quarterback next season. Adds teams will be "very interested".
— Cincy Jungle (@CincyJungle) January 3, 2017

And just a few days ago, Polian said he would take McCarron over drafting any quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft.

HOF GM Bill Polian just told @ESPN1000 in Chicago he would take #Bengals AJ McCarron over any QB in this draft... https://t.co/nXI9AMqO1n
— Jim Owczarski (@JimOwczarski) February 15, 2017 "...

But you have no actual take on any of this this yourself right? You're just here to provide "information"? C'mon man grow a pair. Admit you have a blow up AJ doll in your room.

stuckincincy
02-21-2017, 03:30 PM
But you have no actual take on any of this this yourself right? You're just here to provide "information"? C'mon man grow a pair. Admit you have a blow up AJ doll in your room.

Sorry - no AJ doll. But I have a Trubisky dartboard and the Kizer and Watson bobbleheads.