• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Kicking the tires on AJ McCarron, Part 2:

Whether or not you think McCarron would be a worthwhile addition, here is some more info re his status.

He is not a UFA after the 2017 season. Because he was drafted by CIN with a non-football-related-injury (NFI) status, and he hasn't accrued enough active games to qualify him for unrestricted free agency in 2018.

A team trading for him gets him under current contract terms through 2018. His contract dollar amounts for 2017 is a base salary of $690,000 and a signing bonus of $45,413. Quite inexpensive.
    He is an RFA for the 2018 season.

From an article by B'gals beat writer in the Cinci Enquirer on 2/9/17 (JIM OWCZARSKI JOWCZARSKI@ENQUIRER.COM:

"McCarron’s status, long known throughout the league, will likely keep him as an attractive target on the trade market since a team that acquires him has a mechanism in place to allow him to play out another year under their control"...

If CIN trades him (and that's a big "if" - everybody knows about owner Brown, and his philosophy of keeping players to the bitter end of a contract regardless of performance), they would likely be looking for draft picks next year or beyond, because with the bolting of WRs Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu and FS Reggie Nelson in 2016, they were awarded 4 comp picks - two were 3rd rnd selections. That leaves them with 11 picks.

Everybody wants more picks, but too many dilutes the rookie pool money in a given year.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 02-16-2017, 11:18 AM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Re: Kicking the tires on AJ McCarron, Part 2:

no

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
      I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
      • Sep 2004

I woud take a long look at him, who knows.
      The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

If we traded for him we'd be dumb enough to sign him to a 45mil/3 yr deal before he plays a snap.
        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

The extra year of control does nothing to change the opinion I have from part 1 of the "Kick the McCarron Tires" series. And unless part 3 is "Bill Cody gets to bang McCarron's wife" my guess is that won't be persuasive either

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
            The extra year of control does nothing to change the opinion I have from part 1 of the "Kick the McCarron Tires" series. And unless part 3 is "Bill Cody gets to bang McCarron's wife" my guess is that won't be persuasive either
            OK for you, then. Other minds have interest.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post

Noted. You don't like him.

So Taylor is your man next season.eh?

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I'd rather roll with McCarron than Tyrod this season, but I'm not real fond of giving up draft picks to get him.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

I bet they kick the tires on Nick Foles. Kyle Orton type.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                    Everybody wants more picks, but too many dilutes the rookie pool money in a given year.
                    That doesn't even make sense. Longer term rookie picks are cheaper than endless short term vet fa's and build the younger foundation that sets your organization on a path to continued success without endlessly replugging the same holes with more expensive older guys.

There's absolutely no way you'd want to minimize your longer term, cheaper talent pool in favor of a shorter term more expensive pool of talent. You have to compete for vet fa's and Buffalo is not a desired location without overspending, you lock in your rookie picks within a scale.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

well, if our goal is to roll up the 1st overall pick i guess we could go for AJ. Though I wouldn't give a dime for him, as we can just as easily compete for the no.1 pick if we start Cardale Jones.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                        well, if our goal is to roll up the 1st overall pick i guess we could go for AJ. Though I wouldn't give a dime for him, as we can just as easily compete for the no.1 pick if we start Cardale Jones.

What results do you expect from Taylor next season, for the nearly $16M he will get? Playoff berth thanks to his efforts?

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                          I bet they kick the tires on Nick Foles. Kyle Orton type.
                          hes way better then orton . orton was near unwatchable

but i want to watch cardele and a 2-14 season so we get then best qb in the 2018 draft
                          Last edited by djjimkelly; 02-16-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                            hes way better then orton . orton was near unwatchable
                            No he wasn't. He may have been the best QB we've had here since Bledsoe's first year.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                              Noted. You don't like him.

So Taylor is your man next season.eh?
                              no

As I've stated before I divide the Bills QB into 2 camps: a guy that could become a championship QB for us and everyone else. I don't give an F who the QB is if he's from the "everyone else" camp and that includes Tie Rod. Ok?

In a nutshell my take is draft Trubisky at 10 and let him take his lumps or let him sit for a year, fine either way. If he's gone, trade down until you have about 10 draft choices, bolster the team's depth, start Jones and be content with 2-14, pick the QB the following year. I am so so done with the 6-10 to 9-7 train. And that's the train your boy McCarron is on. It's nothing personal, seems like a nice kid. Just not good enough, period.

Comment

Working...
                              X